PDA

View Full Version : Sprint's Instinct vs Apple's iPhone

KC//CRIMSON
6/4/2008, 08:07 PM
http://www.nowisgood.com/?id9=SEM

Sprint is teaming up with some big dogs for 4G Network.

Sprint, Clearwire Partner With Intel, Cable Companies To Spread WiMax

Google, Comcast, Time Warner, Intel, and others are investing $3.2 billion to resuscitate the Sprint-Clearwire WiMax partnership.

Sprint Nextel (NYSE: S) and Clearwire are reviving their WiMax effort with an unusual array of partners from the tech and media industries. Comcast (NSDQ: CMCSA), Google (NSDQ: GOOG), Intel (NSDQ: INTC), Time Warner (NYSE: TWX), and others are investing billions of dollars in a new company that plans to build a nationwide high-speed wireless network using the still unproved WiMax technology standard.

The first concrete benefit to come out of the Wednesday deal is Google's plan to expand its relationship with Sprint to bring Google's mobile search, maps, and YouTube to Sprint handsets. Google said the new features will begin to be available this summer.

More Mobility InsightsWhite PapersAT Command Set - M1HS, N501HS, H600 Overcoming Mobile Enterprise Security Challenges Reports802.11n Is Here. Get Ready For A Wire-Free Enterprise Trouble Ahead: Most Companies Don't Have A Mobile Device Management Plan The new partners have pledged $3.2 billion to resuscitate the Sprint-Clearwire partnership. Google pledged $500 million, while Comcast offered $1.05 billion, Intel offered $1 billion, and $550 million is coming from Time Warner.

Sprint had an on-again, off-again partnership with Clearwire, but the early venture was dissolved last November after the companies couldn't raise the necessary funding to deploy the wide area technology.

"Sprint had the spectrum, but it didn't have the money," said Adlane Fellah, senior analyst at broadband wireless researcher Maravedis, in an interview Wednesday. "This is great news -- in the short term. Now they must deliver soon at the right price points."

Sprint has been racked in recent months by subscriber losses, a falling stock price, and management upheaval. According to recent media reports, Sprint is considering spinning off its poorly performing Nextel unit. Ironically, Clearwire's top executive, Craig McCaw, was a founder of Nextel, which has rapidly been losing subscribers and acts as an albatross around Sprint's neck.

Although the new WiMax company will be called Clearwire, it will be 51% owned by Sprint. Existing Clearwire stockholders will own about 27% of the new company, while the new investors will own about 22%.

"This is an opportunity to unlock and bring visibility to the value of our significant spectrum assets, technology, and expertise," Sprint president and CEO Dan Hesse said in a statement. "We've made an excellent start developing XOHM WiMax services."

Sprint has been testing its XOHM service in Chicago and the Washington/Baltimore area in anticipation of rolling out the service on a nationwide basis.

royalfan5
6/4/2008, 08:08 PM
Sprint is the devil.

soonerbrat
6/5/2008, 08:31 AM
i don't like samsung phones

Sooner_Havok
6/5/2008, 12:56 PM
I have seen some of the ads they are doing for the Instinct. This may be one of the worse ideas ever imagined. They are going to spend all that damed money pimping the Instinct's 3G and GPS support over the iPone's lack thereof. Problem is come the 9th, those ads are going to be useless. At the Apple WWDC next week Jobs is going to unveil the new iPhone with 3G and built in GPS.

I am not saying the Instinct phone sucks compared to the iPhone, hell I would take either if offered to me, but to waste so much money on ads that are going to be worthless in under a month?

uKQjitiN5Jk

JKEKEk_T7ZA&

Still looks like a sweet phone though. Only negative I can see about the phone itself is the smaller screen, but I am sure some people will enjoy it's smaller overall size.

badger
6/5/2008, 01:05 PM
Sprint: We improved the iPhone. :D

Apple: But... we thought of it first! :(

My hilarious video on the iPhone and its early obsession among profiteers...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NYBFY98lWcU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NYBFY98lWcU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Somehow, I don't think anyone's gonna line up for a Sprint thingy :rolleyes:

KC//CRIMSON
6/5/2008, 01:16 PM
I have seen some of the ads they are doing for the Instinct. This may be one of the worse ideas ever imagined. They are going to spend all that damed money pimping the Instinct's 3G and GPS support over the iPone's lack thereof. Problem is come the 9th, those ads are going to be useless. At the Apple WWDC next week Jobs is going to unveil the new iPhone with 3G and built in GPS.

I am not saying the Instinct phone sucks compared to the iPhone, hell I would take either if offered to me, but to waste so much money on ads that are going to be worthless in under a month?

uKQjitiN5Jk

JKEKEk_T7ZA&

Still looks like a sweet phone though. Only negative I can see about the phone itself is the smaller screen, but I am sure some people will enjoy it's smaller overall size.

You forgot "Live Television" and "Shoot and Send" video.

Seriously, how cool would it be to watch live OU football on your phone?

:cool:

Sooner_Havok
6/5/2008, 01:26 PM
You forgot "Live Television" and "Shoot and Send" video.

Seriously, how cool would it be to watch live OU football on your phone?

:cool:

While you are at the game! Radios are so last decade ;)

colleyvillesooner
6/5/2008, 02:00 PM

uKQjitiN5Jk

JKEKEk_T7ZA&

I've seen rumors that it's not for sure that Iphone 2.0 will have GPS.

r5TPsooner
6/5/2008, 02:01 PM
I can't say much for Sprint's phones, but Sprint as a company is pretty much a joke in the wireless industry as a whole.

Sooner_Havok
6/5/2008, 02:09 PM
I've seen rumors that it's not for sure that Iphone 2.0 will have GPS.

I have heard there are going to be more than one model. Like how you have 4 flavors of iPod, you will have more than one flavor of iPhone, each targeted at a different money level. I just can't see Jobs not putting GPS capability into the iPhone though, too many other phones have it for it not to be in there.

MR2-Sooner86
6/5/2008, 06:49 PM
I think the HTC Diamond has a better chance against the iPhone. (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/18364)

Sooner_Havok
6/5/2008, 06:55 PM
I think the HTC Diamond has a better chance against the iPhone. (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/18364)

Honestly, I don't think anything has much of a chance against the iPhone. I'm not saying that because what Apple does is better than what anyone else can do, I am saying that because nothing says "I am cool, and I have money" like Apple stuff. Both the Instinct and the Diamond are probably pretty good phones, and I would imagine that both are better in some ways than the iPhone, but neither have the Apple logo on them.