PDA

View Full Version : A good thing (okay a good arbitrary thing)

Chuck Bao
6/4/2008, 05:19 PM
For the record, I don’t like industry awards thingies. It’s so arbitrary and we actually work in a market and it is not difficult to tell who is actually doing their job and who isn’t.

The Thai stock exchange held its annual awards ceremony last night and my team won the award for best overall research house for retail investors. And, one of my analysts won the best institutional research award for medium and small cap companies. She won the award for all of us because we all specialize in small cap stocks.

So, I have to temporarily change my opinion about these awards. It is a good reason to party and it’s good to put on the old resume and the award trophies look kind of cool, fittingly appropriate green glass caricature a person with a big chest stuck out. Scratch that: the caricature should have been with a big head.

This was a cause for celebration all day today, except that my teammate who accepted the overall research house award on behalf of my department somehow managed to hash it up and **** off everyone in his acceptance speech. He said something to the effect of: “We sucked for so many years and now we are doing our business. I challenge everyone else in the industry to try to match us.”

Then, he sent a text of his speech to everyone in the company today and that ****ed off even more people. I have to have a talk with him about the sucking part because we’ve basically had the same team over the last seven years.

I should have been there and accepted the research house for retail investors’ award. I should have been there to say that the internet is making markets much more democratic and fair and that retail investors deserve no less up-to-date opinions and research support than institutional investors.

I should have been there to say that research is not about churning business, but offering a fair opinion and some degree of foresight in the volatile global financial situation.

I should have been there to say that the brokerage business is a team effort.

I should have been there to not say anything about that sucking part. A down market is a down market. There is nothing wrong with a SELL recommendation. A super bull analyst is probably only right just a little more than half of the time.

“Try to match that” is probably not the best department philosophy.

I should have been there to say that analysts deserve a life. Go home and kiss your spouse and kids and for heaven’s sake spend more time with them, instead of patting yourself on the back. On the other hand, the single folk can meet me later for a beer.

NormanPride
6/4/2008, 05:43 PM
Should I congratulate you or empathize with your regret?

Chuck Bao
6/4/2008, 06:00 PM
Party and little cool glass dudes on a trophy isn't bad.

And, I still get the claim it as mine. Because why else was all those drunken nights writing about the stock market.

The message here is drunken writing is best above all!!!

6/4/2008, 06:08 PM
THIS CALLS FOR A NAIL PAINTING!

Chuck Bao
6/4/2008, 06:27 PM
YEAH! My colleague's wife said that she bought black nail paint for my next time. She's saying that pirates wear black nail polish.

I'm not so sure about that. But, who knows what drunken pirates do.

6/4/2008, 06:32 PM
I'm sure you'll find out, bad boy. :D

Chuck Bao
6/4/2008, 07:42 PM
Good idea, Agent 12, I should ask Olevet, our resident bad *** and drunken pirate with a bird on his shoulder and a furball football underfoot.

Captain Olevet sir, pirates should wear what color of paint on their fingernails when chosing to get drunk instead of attending an awards ceremony or just refusing to generally work without a mixed drink or a beer?