PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Receiver Class: Anything like 2005 Class?

htownsooner7
6/4/2008, 03:13 PM
In 2005, which I admit was not my favorite year, OU was the lucky recipient of a great class of receivers. I personally think MK is an all-timer, Iglesias has done great, and Johnson has played very respectable. It seems as though this year's class could offer some great talent to the fold, but I haven't seen any of them yet, nor have I heard if any will be instant contributors. Who is the best prospect to be all-conference type? Will any of them compete for starting jobs the way that MK and JI did? Will any of the bigger receivers compete for MK's job or is that Chaney's?

soonerfan28
6/4/2008, 04:23 PM
I don't think Owens will redshirt but I think the others will. We have enough depth at receiver that none need to play, but I think Owens has the size to make an impact early.

NormanPride
6/4/2008, 04:35 PM
Hopefully they've got the mental toughness that some of our earlier WRs did.

JLEW1818
6/4/2008, 05:13 PM
I have a strange feeling that Jarobe is going to make a impact this summer, and could get a chance. I think he will be practicing like he has A TON to prove.

rainiersooner
6/4/2008, 05:27 PM
They've got a better quarterback throwing to them then the 2005 class did; and a better line giving their quarterback more time...I think we're stacked. But no one will ever come close so far to Mark Clayton for my money....that guy was a YAC MACHINE!!!

soonerfan28
6/4/2008, 05:52 PM
YAC machine no doubt.

soonerfan28
6/4/2008, 05:53 PM
I think Jarboe redhirts to see if he's as immature as his last incident showed he could be.

rainiersooner
6/5/2008, 01:15 AM
I don't know, Stoops tends to play the best players he's got, irrespective of age....if he's the player he's supposed to be, I think we see him early and often. But only time will tell....

OU_Sooners75
6/5/2008, 02:43 AM
Jarboe, as long as everything continues to look up for him, will have the best chance for instant success at OU. He has all the tangibles to make for a great WR in college and the NFL.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/5/2008, 09:25 AM
I dont think Jarboe or Owens RS.....But then again I thought Brent Rawls would be one of the greatest OU qbs at this same point in his time at OU

soonerfan28
6/5/2008, 12:29 PM
You have to redshirt 1 of them. I can't see any reason you burn 2 redshirts when you really only need maybe 1 to play at all this year. I think it may also depend on who can pick up the offense quickly. With the development of our offense this year I can't see them vanillaing it for anyone.

starclassic tama
6/5/2008, 01:00 PM
especially if broyles comes on like he seems to have... a lot of people seem to have forgotten about him in light of this jarboe stuff, but he could be a stud

Blitzkrieg
6/5/2008, 01:55 PM
So if Jarboe and Broyles pulls up to your C-store late at night...... Pull out a football and get two autographs of two future all big12 WRs.

KantoSooner
6/5/2008, 02:14 PM
You have to redshirt 1 of them. I can't see any reason you burn 2 redshirts when you really only need maybe 1 to play at all this year. I think it may also depend on who can pick up the offense quickly. With the development of our offense this year I can't see them vanillaing it for anyone.

For all the talk about 'skill positions', WR is a remarkably simple position to play. Any interior line slot is far more complex. Short of a bone headed refusal to block now and again, there is absolutely no reason these guys should not be contributors this season.

soonerfan28
6/6/2008, 09:48 AM
I understand what you are saying, but there is more to it then "go run a route". I agree that it's the easiest position on offense to learn, but there is also blocking involved. I think Broyles, Iglesias, and Johnson will be the starters.

htownsooner7
6/9/2008, 12:36 PM
I have to think they give Owens and/or Jarboe a shot with Tennell down unless Chaney has parlayed his fiesta bowl showing into being a go to guy.

VA Sooner
6/9/2008, 07:34 PM
I haven't had a chance to see Broyles play... how has he been in practice? I don't remember him at the Spring Game.... wish they would have broadcast that. I would have taped the game and analyzed it later.

JLEW1818
6/9/2008, 07:42 PM
When will Tennell be 100% ? Will he be able to play game 1 ?

soonerloyal
6/9/2008, 08:04 PM
Both Murray and Pooh should be ready for game 1.:D