CB: Mike Mickens
SS: Cedric Tolbert
FS: Brad Jones
CB: DeAngelo Smith

Special Teams:
PK: Jake Rogers
P: Kevin Huber

Week 1 Stats: (vs. )

Passing: 26 of 35 348 yds 4 TDs 0 INT 195.5 rating.
Rushing: 44 rushes 209 yds 2 TDs.
Total: 79 plays 557 yards 6 TDs.

OU_Sooners75
6/4/2008, 05:21 AM
Here is a little of the write up about the Bearcats in their 2008 Prospectus. Bearcat Prospectus 2008 (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/cinn/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2008-Prospectus.pdf).

The 2007 season proved to be one of the most successful in the history of University of Cincinnati football. For the first time in school history, Cincinnati earned an appearance in a final Associated Press Poll, ending the season at No. 17. Winning 10 games for the first time since 1951 and capping the year with a 31-21 victory in the Papajohns.com Bowl, UC claimed its third consecutive bowl win and a bevy of postseason honors.

OFFENSE
After setting team records for scoring (472 points), touchdowns (63), and passing touchdowns (36), the Bearcats returns six starters from the 2007 offense. In his one season wearing the Cincinnati uniform, quarterback Ben Mauk showed what the offensive scheme could do on his way to one of the most impressive passing seasons in BIG EAST history.

The void left under center will be filled by either two-year starter Dustin Grutza, Tony Pike, or former Notre Dame starter Demetrius Jones.

Utilizing a one-back formation, the loss of three seniors firmly places the spotlight on the running back position. Fighting for the starting role are junior Jacob Ramsey and sophomore John Goebel. Goebel has impressed the staff over the last two years by taking the Scout Team Player of the Year award in each of his two seasons at UC.

Ramsey started three BIG EAST games for the Bearcats, rushing for 362 yards and three touchdowns as a sophomore.

Leading the wide receiving corps is senior Dominick Goodman, who caught 68
passes, the eighth-most by a UC receiver in history, last fall. Goodman collected 869 receiving yards and eight touchdown grabs.

Marcus Barnett is back for his sophomore season after snaring a program record 13 touchdown passes as a redshirt freshman. The No. 2 freshman receiver in the nation, Barnett finished the year with 62 catches for 862 yards.

Charley Howard and Marshwan Gilyard split time a year ago at the remaining wide receiver spot. The duo collected 43 grabs, including four for scores last fall. Promising talents Armon Binns, Tahree McQueen, and Adrien Robinson are all challenging for playing time in the receiver rotation. Jared Martin is also in the fold.

Kazeem Alli, Ben Guidugli, and Marcus Waugh are competing for the tight end
assignment.

The offensive line boasts four returners with starting experience. The returnees combined to make 35 starts in 2007. Two-year starters Trevor Canfield (left guard) and Jeff Linkenbach (right tackle) lead the group. Khalil El-Amin shifts to the left tackle spot after starting 11 games at right tackle last season. Chris Jurek is back after starting nine games at center.

Jason Kelce and C.J. Cobb are fighting for the right guard spot.

OU_Sooners75
6/4/2008, 05:27 AM
A little more...

DEFENSE
The defensive secondary is highlighted by the cornerback tandem of Mickens
and Smith. One of the nation’s top pass defenders in each of his first two seasons, Mickens picked off six passes as a junior. Cedric Tolbert is set to step into a starting role with Deon Reed and Scott Johnson one year wiser and competing for playing time. Junior Brad Jones and redshirt freshman Drew Frey are battling for one of the five spots open following graduation.

The linebacking corps gets a shakeup, with the move of Andre Revels to weakside linebacker. Revels (66 tackles), who split time with Ryan Manalac (76 tackles) in the middle last season is athletic enough to challenge blockers. Delbert Ferguson is ready to make Revels earn the only open starting linebacker assignment. Manalac’s backups in the middle include Alex Delisi and Obadiah Cheatham. The Bearcats’ top returning tackler with 80 stops last season, Corey Smith is back for his fourth and final campaign. The three-year starter has Torry Cornett as his top backup.

The defensive line needs to replace a pair of standout defensive ends. Lamonte Nelms, who totaled 33 tackles, including 10 for loss last season, draws the assignment at the strongside end spot. Special teams standout Craig Carey must show his athleticism if he is to spell Nelms. At the other defensive end, Connor Barwin, who totaled 31 receptions at tight end, switches from offense to defense in a move to enhance the UC front four. Rob Trigg and Nick DeFillipo are also competing for the position with Barwin.

SCHEDULE
One of only three schools nationally with three games against teams that played in the 2008 BCS, the Bearcats are the lone school in college football meeting two BCS representatives in non-league tilts. Five of the Bearcats 13 opponents (Connecticut, Eastern Kentucky, Hawai’i, Oklahoma, and West Virginia) either won outright or shared their respective league titles in 2007 and three finished in the final Associated Press Top 25 Poll.

Blitzkrieg
6/4/2008, 08:15 AM
LT: Khalil El-Amin SR* (started RT last year)

Hopefully he'll be getting waterboarded in Gitmo and miss our game. Of course, facing Beal and English will be equally brutal.

NormanPride
6/4/2008, 09:38 AM
A really good early test. This team should give us everything we want and more, so hopefully we can do the same to them!

RedstickSooner
6/4/2008, 02:02 PM
We need to do a better job scheduling patsies. These ones don't seem to understand their place in the universe. Where's the Northwestern Sisters of the Poor when you need 'em?

Ardmore_Sooner
6/4/2008, 02:15 PM
We need to do a better job scheduling patsies. These ones don't seem to understand their place in the universe. Where's the Northwestern Sisters of the Poor when you need 'em?

They're already scheduled in Stillwater. ;)

OUrules
6/4/2008, 03:12 PM
East Popcorn State.....

RedstickSooner
6/4/2008, 04:01 PM
They're already scheduled in Stillwater. ;)

Dangit! Well, maybe we need to get more creative in our patsy scheduling. Like, instead of scheduling 1-AA teams like a lot of sissies do, maybe we should start scheduling other 1-A teams... But in sports other than football.

So, we could play, say, the LSU gymnastics team for one of our home games. I'm sure the gymnasts are fine athletes, but I doubt they'd do very well on the football field. The closest they usually get is the sidelines & the occassional halftime show.

And am I crazy, or did I see somewhere that Cincinatti actually has more AAs than we do, at least according to Athlon?

soonerfan28
6/4/2008, 04:20 PM
Demetrius Jones starts against us.

OU_Sooners75
6/5/2008, 08:50 PM

I can see him starting all season. Grutza lost his job after two years to a transfer. He is not that good of a QB.

This is just what Cincy's official site is showing right now.

OU_Sooners75
7/1/2008, 05:44 AM
bump

OU_Sooners75
9/2/2008, 03:16 AM
Bump

I will update the depth chart.

Crucifax Autumn
9/2/2008, 03:23 AM
Thanks for posting this info.

badger
9/2/2008, 09:37 AM

So... in other words, another chance to beat the Notre Dame outta him? :D

r5TPsooner
9/2/2008, 09:40 AM
We go from playing Norman High to a real college team this week folks. Well coached, good athletes, excellent defense. We'll see how good the offense is on Saturday.

NormanPride
9/2/2008, 09:51 AM
This might be the best team we play in the regular season.

poke4christ
9/2/2008, 10:00 AM
The line for this game is 21 and I think that's about right. Hard to pick a side in this one, but I think I'm gonna have to go with Cinnci just because OU had such a nothing game to start the season. Do I think OU is in danger of losing this game? No, but my guess would be a 14-17 point win becuase they will still be getting into the groove.

badger
9/2/2008, 10:05 AM
The line for this game is 21 and I think that's about right. Hard to pick a side in this one, but I think I'm gonna have to go with Cinnci just because OU had such a nothing game to start the season. Do I think OU is in danger of losing this game? No, but my guess would be a 14-17 point win becuase they will still be getting into the groove.

Who do YOU play this week? Seriously, I'm asking.

EDIT: Ok, see that it's Houston. Beware the shocker :D

MiccoMacey
9/2/2008, 10:08 AM
This might be the best team we play in the regular season.

I'll disagree with you here a little bit.

Texas showed it can play this year...they're better than people thoguht over the summer.

And I will always say TCU is better than pretty much any other OOC team we play as long as Patterson's their coach. Not taking anything away from Cincinnati and Brian Kelly (they have me sold), but TCU will be good again this year.

Plus, their's Texas Tech who owns 2 of the last three against us, OSU who has always played us closer at home than any other Big Twelve team since Stoops arrived at OU, and a Kansas team that has a chip on it's shoulder.

Our schedule may be tougher than most people were envisioning in May.

MiccoMacey
9/2/2008, 10:09 AM
Beware the shocker :D

This is a family board. ;)

badger
9/2/2008, 10:16 AM
This is a family board. ;)

Right. Sorry.

Um... beware the missing cougar's toe. ;)

OU_Sooners75
9/3/2008, 01:52 AM
Damn, too bad this couldn't get stickied to the top.

But oh well.

For those that thanked me, you are welcome, and thank you.

I will have next week's opponent ready later this week and posted after the game.

I will try to do this for all non-conference foes. Of Course depends on the time I have.

MiccoMacey
9/3/2008, 06:25 AM
My question is this...I've heard Stoops say several times that Cincinnati won 10 games lst year and nearly the whole team returns. He's said it several times in referring to how talented they are.

But I see almost half on each side of the ball, including their QB, are gone. I'm not sure where he's getting his info, but I just don't see what he sees.

Are they going to be good...I believe so. I like the way Brian Kelly approaches things. Reminds me of Bob Stoops when he's talking about winning. I think he'll have the Bearcats ready.

But I just don't get where Bob thinks this is the same team from last year.

birddog
9/3/2008, 07:16 AM
Damn, too bad this couldn't get stickied to the top.

But oh well.

For those that thanked me, you are welcome, and thank you.

I will have next week's opponent ready later this week and posted after the game.

I will try to do this for all non-conference foes. Of Course depends on the time I have.

yeah, thanks for the copy and paste job. well done!

AAABearcat
9/3/2008, 07:54 AM
My question is this...I've heard Stoops say several times that Cincinnati won 10 games lst year and nearly the whole team returns. He's said it several times in referring to how talented they are.

But I see almost half on each side of the ball, including their QB, are gone. I'm not sure where he's getting his info, but I just don't see what he sees.

Are they going to be good...I believe so. I like the way Brian Kelly approaches things. Reminds me of Bob Stoops when he's talking about winning. I think he'll have the Bearcats ready.

But I just don't get where Bob thinks this is the same team from last year.

16 returning starters; the preview on the preceeding page doesn't mention players like All-American DT T Byrd, for ex; Offense returns 9 starters, loses QB[big loss] and RB[better players this year]
Grutza[QB] was the BigEast off player of the week this week[not hard to do , since the BE was awful this week] and Conner Barwin DE, 2nd for defensive player of the week[new starter this year] The Kicking game was poor and will have a new placekicker for XP's and FG's; with a true freshman backing that up[Milligan- Ohio high school player of the year[RB,WR,KR,PR, PK] The receiver corp is deep[ look out for true freshmen WR N Truesdall- if he playes at all, because of his jumping ability over shorter DB's-he is fast and 6'7" -last yeat Ohio playoff MVP]
The biggest losses from last year are QB[Mauk] and S H.Nakumura[Balt Ravens] The game boils down to how well the OL[all but 1 starter return] protects Grutza and the decisions that Grutza makes. The defense is solid, the offense will go as far as Grutza takes them. I think we will see that Grutza doesn't measure up against a real team and they will bring in T Pike; who has an NFL caliber arm with tunnel vision and "happy feet"
The running backs are a lot better and faster than last year, but that is not saying much and I doubt they will be able to run against Oklahoma.

MiccoMacey
9/3/2008, 09:51 AM
AAABearcat,

Thanks for the skinny on your program. Most/all my info comes from pre-season mags and what little memory I have left. Also, what little memory I have left.

Phil Steele (not a great predictor, but usually pretty accurate on information) has you guys having 12 returning starters. I don't have his info in front of me, but I remember looking through there and he listed all your losses (seemed about the right amount of numbers as he listed them). I'm curious...are these the 16 starters at the end of the season due to injury/suspension/whatever, or are these 16 guys with starting experience, or are you talking about 16 full-time, all-season starters from last year.

Thanks for any info...and good luck to you guys all year long. I rooted for you last year and will continue to do so.

badger
9/3/2008, 10:30 AM
The running backs are a lot better and faster than last year, but that is not saying much and I doubt they will be able to run against Oklahoma.

Howdy, Bearcat. Welcome to SF.com. Please don't take offense to any of our weekly "bash the other team's coach" thread or our desire to drown your kittens. We are an equal opportunity kitten drowner when it comes to football opponents and it's all in good fun :)

With that in mind, would you please enlighten us to what Cinci is all about - What your gameday traditions are, such as chants, and how many of you we can expect to travel. Also, because it comes up often - what's a bearcat? ;)

Is it this?
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/img/2007/national/3010_bearcat_a.jpg
Do you have a live mascot and stuff?

AAABearcat
9/3/2008, 12:02 PM
Sometimes we have a Bearcat[binturong] on loan from the Cincinnati Zoo; but most of the time we do not as they are rare.
We have a long history and most of our traditions are associated with Miami[Oh] and Louisville. We will not travel well, especially to Oklahoma. We have something in common with Oklahoma fans, we can't stand OSU[Ohio StateU] either, especially since they backed out of coming here in 2011.
We have recently gotten a lot better on the football front[which explains why OSU got out of their contract to play here]
The 16 starters is based on the end of year team, basically, the significant losses are QB[BIG loss], 2 defensive linemen, and safety. We moved a starting CB to safety, because we had a 3rd cb who is pretty good, Cincy led the nation in takeaways last year and our defensive backfield is pretty good.
Our running backs last year were average; this year they have a lot more speed and are considered better[we'll see] The defensive line was bolstered by BB PF Barwin[ and former starting TE] who played well in the opener, but the competion was weak.
We are looking forward to this saturday's game and realize that for us to have a chance, Oklahoma has to have a subpar game and we have to play extremely well.
Overall; the program is getting better; with the best recruiting class in Cincy history this year, whether that means anything, we will have to wait and see. Were hoping that Oklahoma overlooks us and underestimates our team speed on defense, we live off of turnovers and are very aggresive on defense.
Our returning punter was an All-American last year and is pretty good[which means I jinxed him and he will have a bad game] which generally gives us good field position. We just sacked our PK[for some reason, he can't make the easy kicks; but does well from 45-60yds], so we brought in a more reliable short range/xp kicker for those.

MojoRisen
9/3/2008, 12:27 PM
I went to UC, and one thing I can say about their program is they do typically have good athl on the team and play very physical. The kids from Ohio and Cincinatti are tough kids.

They have played Ohio St to the wire at least twice in recent memory. I do not expect a blow out and we better be ready. I think we can spank them but watch out if we don't play well as this could be a defensive battle and very physical ball game.

They hang with Ohio St and WVU on a regular basis - so consider them to be a legit top 20-30 team.

MiccoMacey
9/3/2008, 03:11 PM
Again, thanks for the info AAABearcat.

badger
9/3/2008, 03:12 PM
thanks man. so... no worries about you guys yelling BEAR! and CAT! over and over then?

soonerfan28
9/3/2008, 04:35 PM
I think they picked us by 21 just to make us look bad. My point is that we are picked by 21 and I can't see us winning by more then 17. Cinci is a very good football team and yes Bob is like 50-2 at home but they will give us a real test and if we don't win by 21 then we are gonna look weak. If we win by more then 21 then we are a much better team then I thought.

AAABearcat
9/3/2008, 04:57 PM
thanks man. so... no worries about you guys yelling BEAR! and CAT! over and over then?

No; but you will hear U...C...with the hands up and then to the side-- over and over and over and over; we haven't been able to master anything over one letter at a time.

CK Sooner
9/3/2008, 05:01 PM
No; but you will hear U...C...with the hands up and then to the side-- over and over and over and over; we haven't been able to master anything over one letter at a time.

Whats your opinion on your QB?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/3/2008, 05:03 PM
EL Amin....I thought he was too fat to be a point guard but right tackle?

Dan Thompson
9/3/2008, 07:42 PM
I think our first four games should be, Air Force, Navy, Army, and Cidatel.

AAABearcat
9/3/2008, 10:41 PM
Whats your opinion on your QB?

He is an average college QB, he can't make some of the throws that Mauk could, so the defense doesn't have to defend as much of the field as they would against Mauk or the current 2nd stringer -Pike[but Pike makes too many bad decisions]
D. Jones might come in; but if he does, he will be running the ball; as his arm still hasn't recovered from off season surgery.
In fairness to Grutza, he did start for 2 years; but that was a different offense[Big Ten ball control running type] he is capable, but just doesn't seem comfortable running Kelly's offense.

CK Sooner
9/3/2008, 10:44 PM
He is an average college QB, he can't make some of the throws that Mauk could, so the defense doesn't have to defend as much of the field as they would against Mauk or the current 2nd stringer -Pike[but Pike makes too many bad decisions]
D. Jones might come in; but if he does, he will be running the ball; as his arm still hasn't recovered from off season surgery.
In fairness to Grutza, he did start for 2 years; but that was a different offense[Big Ten ball control running type] he is capable, but just doesn't seem comfortable running Kelly's offense.

Oh, I see.

Are you making the trip?

AAABearcat
9/3/2008, 10:51 PM
Oh, I see.

Are you making the trip?

No, I usually go to 1 game that is more than 200 miles from Cincy; I "decided" on going to the Hawaii game; Oklahoma in early Sept or Hawaii in late fall- my wife made the choice for me.:(

CK Sooner
9/3/2008, 10:52 PM
No, I usually go to 1 game that is more than 200 miles from Cincy; I "decided" on going to the Hawaii game; Oklahoma in early Sept or Hawaii in late fall- my wife made the choice for me.:(

I see.

Well hopefully it turns out to be a good game.

AAABearcat
9/3/2008, 11:01 PM
I see.

Well hopefully it turns out to be a good game.

We went to the last UC-Hawaii game and it was good; the end of the game was weird; we got attacked by some of the crowd, got 12 stiches in my head and my wife got her purse stolen. That was the game that ended in a brawl on the field between the teams. I have never witnessed an atmosphere like that one; couldn't believe they let "patrons" walk on the sideline and behind the visiting team drinking alcholol and taunting the players, it was a joke. The rest of our stay was great, just odd that the actual stadium was worse than any other I have been to, including sitting in cleveland's "Dog Pound" with a Cincinnati jersey on.
This time, my wife will be skipping the game, but enjoying the rest of Hawaii.

olevetonahill
9/4/2008, 02:00 AM

will you have yer Bear eat a penquin ?
That dude suckes

olevetonahill
9/4/2008, 02:01 AM

Shes got yer Balls huh ?

JLEW1818
9/4/2008, 02:04 AM
Vet your up !!

olevetonahill
9/4/2008, 02:05 AM
Vet your up !!

For ?

JLEW1818
9/4/2008, 02:07 AM
Just didn't know you were awake!

olevetonahill
9/4/2008, 02:12 AM
Just didn't know you were awake!

I just negged every post by that idiot Bearcat Pen.
:mad: I still couldnt drop him :eek:

JLEW1818
9/4/2008, 02:19 AM
hahaha, somebody must have giving him juice, any thoughts ?

olevetonahill
9/4/2008, 02:21 AM
hahaha, somebody must have giving him juice, any thoughts ?

I just called a Neg Jihad on him , have you done tour Part ?
Dude out not Talk about Norman that way .

KingBarry
9/4/2008, 04:50 AM
And I will always say TCU is better than pretty much any other OOC team we play as long as Patterson's their coach. Not taking anything away from Cincinnati and Brian Kelly (they have me sold), but TCU will be good again this year.

And TCU won on their last two trips to Norman. I know those were fluke games that have nothing to do with this season, but it is a trend that I do not like.

AAABearcat
9/4/2008, 07:01 AM
Shes got yer Balls huh ?

Any man who doesn't recognize that; is either lying or in the process of getting a divorce.

JLEW1818
9/4/2008, 08:49 AM
shhh

runawaybearcat
9/4/2008, 07:11 PM
might be a little late to say my thoughts about the game, but i dont believe ou will wear cincinnati out. the only way ive seen to defeat cincinnati is to catch them on a bad day when the backs last year would fumble, OR to go head to head in a shootout until the first quarterbacks arm to fall off loses. the bearcat team this year is amazing considering the state of the team 5 or 6 years ago. glad to be playing a good tradition like ou; maybe cincinnati can bring some good ideas back on how to keep a successful ship running for the long term.

Scott D
9/4/2008, 09:55 PM
Sorry to hear Tressel chickened out on you guys. I guess the lure of playing Youngstown State every year just warmed too many cockles in that diseased cavity called his heart.

badger
9/4/2008, 10:41 PM
Any man who doesn't recognize that; is either lying or in the process of getting a divorce.

it's true... but it's a fair trade EDIT EDIT EDIT

:D EDIT!

goingoneight
9/4/2008, 11:00 PM
I thought Bearcat was like a manbearpig... something that was just kinda silly and stuck.

Hot, diggity-damn... I have officially learn't something today.

FWIW... this one reeks of upset. Like Switzer was with WVU... I'm one of those people who quietly likes Cincinnati. They were fun to watch last year... a lot like Kansas was IMO.