PDA

View Full Version : TCU in Norman

OKMAGIC
6/3/2008, 08:07 AM
Why is this @ home instead of Ft. Worth. It was obviously not a home and home series. What am I missing? I'm glad its in Norman although that didn't help last time.

OUMonster
6/3/2008, 08:21 AM
Shhhhhhh! ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
6/3/2008, 08:33 AM
Its no big thing..OU signed a 1 game deal with TCU then and now so they don't owe them anything like OU and ND signed in 99...

David Earl
6/3/2008, 09:21 AM
If I remember correctly, OU has never beaten TCU in Norman. Weird.

poke4christ
6/3/2008, 09:31 AM

That's probably gonna change. If OU doesn't make TCU look like Southwest Missouri State this year I'll be shocked.

CincySooner
6/3/2008, 09:33 AM

Actually I think OU beat TCU in Norman in the 50's or something like that.

EDIT: After checking soonerstats.com... OU last beat them in Norman in 1954. Interesting stat in the series: the away team is 8-2 if you count the game in OKC as an OU home game.

boomersooner82
6/3/2008, 10:10 AM
OU should never play the Horned Frogs. It rips my heart in two to have to root against the F-Dub's hometown team. ... but if they pull another '05 on us, I might snap.

Tear Down This Wall
6/3/2008, 10:47 AM
Please. Lord, don't let Stoops underestimate TCU again...or Cincinnati, for that matter.

If one of these two beats us...it'll be bad days in the press for Stoops and his 2000 national title.

JLEW1818
6/3/2008, 11:17 AM
Dalton is not a bad quarterback, but not as good as that Sam guy. Look for the Red head to throw 2 picks that game. 1 of those picks to a guy with the last name...... FRANKS.

Blitzkrieg
6/3/2008, 11:17 AM
Cincy is a bit scary. Good defense, if I remember correctly. 3 losses by a combined 16 points.

OUstud
6/3/2008, 01:13 PM
Yeah I think Cincy will be our biggest non-conference test. Even more so than UW at UW.

swardboy
6/3/2008, 01:20 PM
That's probably gonna change. If OU doesn't make TCU look like Southwest Missouri State this year I'll be shocked.

Hey! That's Missouri State University to you sir!

Sco
6/3/2008, 04:41 PM
Cincy just lost their QB. I'm not as worried as I am about TCU.

FroggyStyle22
6/3/2008, 05:30 PM
This is the first game of a new home and home I believe. The '05 game was part of a previous deal.

I look for my Frogs to put up a good fight. At least in the first half. We lost too many key players from last years team to have any reasonable shot at an upset. Our strength next year will be out O line and LB's. However due to the incompetence that is our O line coach we always start off the season slow in the running game.

Dalton is capable of being a solid QB but last year he was very inconsistent. Maybe another off season will help him in that respect.

OUTrumpet
6/3/2008, 06:00 PM
Actually I think OU beat TCU in Norman in the 50's or something like that.

EDIT: After checking soonerstats.com... OU last beat them in Norman in 1954. Interesting stat in the series: the away team is 8-2 if you count the game in OKC as an OU home game.

The game is mentioned in the book the Undefeated. The game was in Norman, and was being officiated by TCU alumni (Southwest conference didn't have a rule about non-alumni working games, so they sent alumni of the schools to ooc games). OU goes up with very little time left and TCU took the ball all the way down the field. On the last play of the game, TCU threw a pass into the endzone and the official signaled touchdown. However, the TCU player handed the ball to the ref and told him that he trapped it. After the officials met, they turned down the touchdown. TCU was in the top 10 that year when they came to Norman too.

But other than that, I think we're 0-5 in Norman and we're 5-0 at Fort Worth.

OU_Sooners75
6/4/2008, 04:30 AM
Yeah I think Cincy will be our biggest non-conference test. Even more so than UW at UW.

Cincy will most likely be a tough game for us, but like other teams, they have to replace some starters.

colleyvillesooner
6/4/2008, 08:07 AM
We go to TCU in 2012.

Blitzkrieg
6/4/2008, 08:34 AM
I always wonder had Paul Thompason hit Travis Wilson on wide open pass play on the first series against TCU how things might have gone. Oh well, Bomar happens.

sooner94
6/4/2008, 10:02 AM
The game is mentioned in the book the Undefeated. The game was in Norman, and was being officiated by TCU alumni (Southwest conference didn't have a rule about non-alumni working games, so they sent alumni of the schools to ooc games). OU goes up with very little time left and TCU took the ball all the way down the field. On the last play of the game, TCU threw a pass into the endzone and the official signaled touchdown. However, the TCU player handed the ball to the ref and told him that he trapped it. After the officials met, they turned down the touchdown. TCU was in the top 10 that year when they came to Norman too.

But other than that, I think we're 0-5 in Norman and we're 5-0 at Fort Worth.

Great post. I was thinking the same thing. That game was pretty early in the streak. I'm glad that guy was honest.

Just checked the stats. The 1954 TCU game was 11 games into the streak.

yermom
6/4/2008, 10:06 AM
that so wouldn't happen today :D

Tear Down This Wall
6/4/2008, 11:05 AM
I just know this...I sat in Norman in 1996 while John Blake was coaching the team and TCU beat. And, I sat in Norman in 2005 while Bob Stoops was on the sideline and TCU beat us. I sat in Fort Worth in 1998 and saw the biggest cluster fack of a game by both teams with a big fight at the end of the game, and we won - the game and the fight.

So, whatever...just don't freakin' overlook them again!

VA Sooner
6/4/2008, 12:25 PM
I agree... Cincy looks to be the biggest challenge in non-conf play. Their defense is fast... our guys are bigger... should be very interesting.

UW is without their star linebacker this year.

soonerfan28
6/4/2008, 04:27 PM
I say we shouldn't take Cinci lightly. If Jones is the QB it could be an interesting day.

soonerfan28
6/4/2008, 04:28 PM
Dalton is not a bad quarterback, but not as good as that Sam guy. Look for the Red head to throw 2 picks that game. 1 of those picks to a guy with the last name...... FRANKS.

jlew I'm shocked. You found a way to make a reference to Franks.

rainiersooner
6/4/2008, 05:33 PM
I always wonder had Paul Thompason hit Travis Wilson on wide open pass play on the first series against TCU how things might have gone. Oh well, Bomar happens.

Great call! I remember watching that and thinking how much I took Jason White for granted. I love PT, but he could never throw the ball in stride with his receivers...Bomar wasn't great at it either; Sam's got a knack for it though....

rainiersooner
6/4/2008, 05:34 PM
Anyway, this is a different team than the 2005 Sooners. We should be able to beat TCU pretty handily. But then again, we should have beat Colorado last year, sooooo....

soonerfan28
6/4/2008, 05:51 PM
TCU at home and Bob is like 50 -2 at home. Easy win. TCU isn't the same team they were in 2005. Didn't they have like 1 loss.

FroggyStyle22
6/4/2008, 06:04 PM
They have no losses this year.

yermom
6/4/2008, 06:12 PM
TCU at home and Bob is like 50 -2 at home. Easy win. TCU isn't the same team they were in 2005. Didn't they have like 1 loss.

to SMU

OMG

how embarrasing :D

our schedule was ridiculous that year

TCU was good, much better than we were expecting.

that loss though, like most of the others that year was about turnovers

VA Sooner
6/4/2008, 09:57 PM
That was a painful game... TCU was an unexpected sleeper team... Tommy Blake was their defensive lineman that was all over Thompson and the backfield. And at home to top it off... tough way to start the season. Whatever happened to Tommy Blake?

That was the year AD came back to score a TD against Texas Tech and pull ahead... only to be screwed by the officials when our defense stopped Taurean Henderson at the goal line.

I need some Maalox now.

FroggyStyle22
6/4/2008, 11:17 PM
Tommy Blake is a sad story. He was a pre-season All american going into last year. Was projected to get drafted in the first round. Then he had a nervous breakdown/ social anxiety disorder break and was not the same all season. He missed a bunch of games and was overweight and out of shape when he did play. I believe he had a try out with Tampa Bay and may have gotten a contract, not sure though. I hope he can get things straightened out and get back on track. He is a great guy, and was a heck of a player his soph and jr years.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/5/2008, 12:29 AM
This year will be beyond difficult. Call it "Purple Haze." We lose to W, TCU, K-State, and that sort-of-purple-in-a-maroon-sort-of-way-aTm. We beat sexaT, but because of K-State and aTm losses don't even go to the Cham-pee-on-ship.

Yes, this is my worst case scenario.

My points:

It may or may not be worst case scenario in the sense that college football seasons always tend to surprise.

Washington will be much better than the media idiots and some of us idots are predicting.

TCU is a damn good football team. I do not believe they are the best team in Texas. I believe they may be the second or third best team in Texas, and that a team with that much talent is easily capable of the so-called upset on enemy territory. Remember: They have more to prove than we do. Namely... Last time was not a fluke.

K-State represents the should never have but on any given Satuday.... did.

I am sick to death of the aTm struggle. So. We put it away and bury it forever, or put another notch in their belt-o-lore. For some reason I see Sherman as a total bust except for that "one shining moment."

Then again...

We kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out. Numero dos en ye ole football crystal, and numero ocho in ye legitimate natty champs.

Either are quite possible. I hope for the latter, but would not be overwhelmingly surprised (i.e. Hari Kari) by the former.

Really, the predictable truth is somewhere in the middle:

On average we will have one or two losses and finish Top 10.

'Course... really.... that ain't a horrible place to be.

Retorts?

rainiersooner
6/5/2008, 01:10 AM
This year will be beyond difficult. Call it "Purple Haze." We lose to W, TCU, K-State, and that sort-of-purple-in-a-maroon-sort-of-way-aTm. We beat sexaT, but because of K-State and aTm losses don't even go to the Cham-pee-on-ship.

Yes, this is my worst case scenario.

My points:

It may or may not be worst case scenario in the sense that college football seasons always tend to surprise.

Washington will be much better than the media idiots and some of us idots are predicting.

TCU is a damn good football team. I do not believe they are the best team in Texas. I believe they may be the second or third best team in Texas, and that a team with that much talent is easily capable of the so-called upset on enemy territory. Remember: They have more to prove than we do. Namely... Last time was not a fluke.

K-State represents the should never have but on any given Satuday.... did.

I am sick to death of the aTm struggle. So. We put it away and bury it forever, or put another notch in their belt-o-lore. For some reason I see Sherman as a total bust except for that "one shining moment."

Then again...

We kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out. Numero dos en ye ole football crystal, and numero ocho in ye legitimate natty champs.

Either are quite possible. I hope for the latter, but would not be overwhelmingly surprised (i.e. Hari Kari) by the former.

Really, the predictable truth is somewhere in the middle:

On average we will have one or two losses and finish Top 10.

'Course... really.... that ain't a horrible place to be.

Retorts?

On paper, there's not a team we play this year that we are not "better" than. But we were "better" than Colorado last year, so obviously being "better" is never good enough.

We will KILL Washington - they're just not that good; I live in Seattle and have followed them. Jake Locker is their best player and we traditionally do well against dual threat quarterbacks (Fiesta Bowl being a recent exception). I don't think they'll match up against our speed. Husky stadium is not like Autzen Stadium - so I don't view the away game being a factor.

The Big XII is strong this year - there are a lot of games we could lose, but not that many we should lose.

The only player loss I think might hurt us is Lofton - otherwise, I think our secondary could be as strong, if not stronger and our receiver corps will not miss Kelly.

Just my $0.02.

redpurple
6/5/2008, 10:35 PM
Ignorant OU fans like some that have posted here make me want to cheer for TCU. I'm very torn, TCU needs publicity, but I think OU can win a NC.

OU-HSV
6/5/2008, 10:39 PM
I sat in the South end zone in the last TCU game of which we don't speak of, in Norman.
It was rough from the first missed slant/or maybe it was a post route. I'd like to make it to this year's game in hopes for revenge.

Big Red Ron
6/5/2008, 10:44 PM
They're TCU. Nuff said.

soonerfan28
6/6/2008, 09:42 AM
That was one of the best TCU teams ever and we were one of the worst teams under Stoops. We have 2 things we didn't have in 2005. A proven QB and WR's. That will be the difference.

OU-HSV
6/6/2008, 10:12 AM
That was one of the best TCU teams ever and we were one of the worst teams under Stoops. We have 2 things we didn't have in 2005. A proven QB and WR's. That will be the difference.

But we still can't be going into any games thinking we have to only show up to win it. I think that was a big factor in that particluar TCU match up...and obviously we can name a few more recent games that's played a role in. You know for instance off the top of my head: a couple of Fiesta Bowls of which we don't speak of, an Orange Bowl of which we don't speak of, a Colorado game last season of which I don't enjoy even thinking about, and so on.

Animal Mother
6/6/2008, 12:33 PM
I wish the game was at TCU because I can turn about 45 degrees and see the TCU tower out my office window. Just win Sooners!!!