PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Greatest hitter you prolly never heard of.

Okla-homey
6/3/2008, 06:34 AM
June 3, 1937: Josh Gibson hits ball 580 feet in Yankee Stadium

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/8205/joshgibsongy7.jpg

71 years ago on this day in 1937, The Sporting News reports that catcher Josh Gibson of the Negro League’s Homestead Grays hit a ball two feet from the top of the façade of Yankee Stadium, 580 feet from home plate.

If Negro League records were kept alongside those of the National and American Leagues, Gibson’s home run would eclipse Mickey Mantle’srecord 565-foot home run hit off Chuck Stobbs in Washington’s Griffith Stadium on April 17, 1953 as the longest ever hit.

This is not the only record Gibson might hold, and possibly not the only record for distance. Some credit him with crushing a fair ball out of Yankee Stadium in 1934, which if true would make him the only player ever to accomplish that feat.

Born in Georgia on December 21, 1911, Josh Gibson and his family moved to Pittsburgh when he was a teenager. There, he played semi-pro ball and developed a reputation as a fearsome power hitter. Josh Gibson’s professional career began in 1930, when, while attending a Grays game, he was summoned out of the audience by players to replace the team’s injured catcher.

Gibson became the Grays’ permanent catcher and cleanup hitter, and was soon the best power hitter in the Negro League. Many who saw him play said that he was the best power hitter of his generation, superior even to the more celebrated Babe Ruth. He hit tape measure blasts and homers in droves in spite of the fact he played his home games at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh and later at Griffith Stadium in Washington, D.C., two of the largest stadiums in baseball.

There is no central authority on Negro League statistics, so precise numbers for Gibson’s career are impossible to determine. Most sources agree that his career average was at least over .350, and it has been put as high as .384.

His Hall of Fame plaque says he approached 800 home runs for his career, but others have put the number as high as 900. Gibson is credited by some with having hit 84 home runs in a single Negro League season, which would be 11 more than the major league record of 73 held by Barry Bonds.

Some have placed his slugging percentage in certain seasons at over 1.000. In integrated games between Negro League teams and all-white big league teams, Gibson hit .426.

In the early 1940s, Gibson was diagnosed with a brain tumor. He slipped into a coma, and upon regaining consciousness refused to allow doctors to operate. On January 20, 1947, when he was 35, Gibson suffered a fatal stroke in his bed after asking to see his baseball trophies. He died three months shy of Jackie Robinson’s debut with the Brooklyn Dodgers and the integration of the major leagues.

Gibson was voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1972 by the Committee on Negro Baseball Leagues.

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/961/joshgibsonjew3.jpg
Allegheny Cemetery, Pittsburgh

6/3/2008, 06:53 AM
He was juicin'.

Good stuff, Homerino.

Taxman71
6/3/2008, 09:57 AM
Thought of Josh Gibson from the title before reading the thread......good stuff.

6/3/2008, 10:03 AM
http://www.pace.edu/library/pages/links/ondisplay/gibsonbatting2.jpg

Only 35. That's too bad. I'll bet he would have had some great "old man" stories.

NormanPride
6/3/2008, 10:13 AM
For back then, that guy was huge. Look at those arms!

StoopTroup
6/3/2008, 10:15 AM
Was he ever in a Field of Dreams?

stoopified
6/3/2008, 02:58 PM
I had seen a movie called SOUL OF THE GAME(I think that is the right title) a few years ago that was about players like Satchel Page,Josh Gibson,and Jackie Robinson.Good movie,well worth your time to watch.Gibson was indeed a great player.

Taxman71
6/3/2008, 03:05 PM
I always think of James Earl Jones' character in The Sandlot as being based on Josh Gibson (assuming he had lived obviously).

Scott D
6/3/2008, 04:10 PM
Gibson was originally being looked at as the player to 'cross the barrier' back when Jackie Robinson was at UCLA. However, the thought process was that he might be a little too much like Jack Johnson for white fans of MLB. Also he was rumored to have had a little bit of an alcohol problem.

My favorite Gibson myth is that one day he hit a ball so hard in the first game of a cross city double header, that when he came up to bat in the next game a ball came screaming into the outfield and was caught by an opposing player. The umpire then called Gibson out, and when Gibson questioned it, the umpire replied "You're out in the last game, because that guy just caught that ball right now."

trey
6/3/2008, 04:23 PM
he was known as the black babe ruth. many say that babe ruth should have been known as the white josh gibson.

AllAboutThe'O'
6/3/2008, 05:09 PM
I would have loved to have found out how good those great Negro League players of yesteryear, like Gibson, Cool Papa Bell and Satchel Paige in his prime, could have fared in MLB had the color barrier not been in place. Jackie Robinson would have gone down as just a mere footnote if that was the case.

AlbqSooner
6/3/2008, 08:33 PM
Story is told of the game in which Josh Gibson was to face Satchel Paige. During batting practice, Gibson went over to Paige and told him that his grandparents were in the stands and could Satch maybe throw him a meatball to hammer out for their sake. Satch told him it would be an honor.
Late in the game, Gibson came up for probably his final at bat. First pitch a high velocity fastball over the outside corner for a strike. Second pitch the same thing. Gibson stepped out of the box, looked at Paige and shrugged as if to say what about honoring my grandparents. Paige waited till Gibson was back in the box, shook his head no and threw major heat down the middle for strike three.

Scott D
6/3/2008, 10:10 PM
I would have loved to have found out how good those great Negro League players of yesteryear, like Gibson, Cool Papa Bell and Satchel Paige in his prime, could have fared in MLB had the color barrier not been in place. Jackie Robinson would have gone down as just a mere footnote if that was the case.

I've always thought the funniest bit was that for the longest time "baseball people" would denigrate the records and marks made by various Negro League players as being 'fictitious, and against sub-par competition'. Ironically they would get up in arms like Homey on a perceived slight of the Military if you argued that it meant that Major Leaguers were facing just as much sub-par competition on a regular basis.

shaun4411
6/3/2008, 10:13 PM
greatest hitler ive ever heard of?

GottaHavePride
6/3/2008, 10:30 PM
Hitler on ice. Definitely. [/threadjack]

Man, if those records are accurate and not exaggerated, that guy is easily one of the greatest ever to play the game. Hell, even if they ARE exaggerated he's still up there.

Scott D
6/4/2008, 06:53 AM
Well, it's not that they are exaggerated as it is they didn't really do much of a job of record keeping. More often than not these guys played 2-3 games in a single day, and none of the "official" stats are included in the games they played in the offseason against barnstorming Major Leaguers. Of course, most of what I know about those times has come from family members, as my grandfather played in the Negro Leagues equivalent of Triple-A minor league ball.