PDA

View Full Version : Does it help improve your credit score

achiro
6/2/2008, 10:03 PM
by over and over buying stuff regularly on your credit cards and paying them off the same month?

SoonerKnight
6/3/2008, 12:40 AM
No.

Frozen Sooner
6/3/2008, 12:58 AM
by over and over buying stuff regularly on your credit cards and paying them off the same month?

No more than it would to just leave the card at 0 balance.

kbsooner21
6/3/2008, 01:02 AM
:mack: Only at Big Red Sports and Imports :D

yermom
6/3/2008, 03:10 AM

the credit card companies hate you :D

sooner_born_1960
6/3/2008, 06:41 AM
They are still collectiing on the seller side.

SoonerAtKU
6/3/2008, 07:46 AM
If it's one of the big companies, they love you, because they act as a card processor as well as credit issuer. Add that to the fact that they don't have to spend any money going through collections for you, you're a dream. But it doesn't really improve your credit any more than paying off an electric bill that happens to do credit reporting.

sooner_born_1960
6/3/2008, 08:03 AM
Even if it doesn't help per se, keep it up. Credit card debt is the devil.

achiro
6/3/2008, 08:28 AM
A buddy was telling me that he was doing this, I told him I didn't think it worked that way.

mikeelikee
6/3/2008, 08:33 AM
It would also help you to limit the number of credit cards you have. If you've got a lot of available credit you could run up, it hurts your overall credit score, even if you keep those balances at $0 most of the time.

SoonerAtKU
6/3/2008, 08:36 AM
Oh it "works". It's just that it's not a significant determiner of good credit activity, so it doesn't get reported as such.

mdklatt
6/3/2008, 08:41 AM
It would also help you to limit the number of credit cards you have. If you've got a lot of available credit you could run up, it hurts your overall credit score, even if you keep those balances at $0 most of the time.

I don't think this always is true. What they look at is the ratio of your debt to your available credit. I'm sure there's an upper limit to this--you certainly don't want a dozen open accounts--but if somebody tells you to close all your credit cards but one, don't listen to them.

StoopTroup
6/3/2008, 08:46 AM
Investing heavily in a whorehouse operation in Juarez doesn't help either.

Please don't ask me how I know...I just do.

Hamhock
6/3/2008, 10:09 AM
why do you need to improve your credit score?

dave ramsey wants to know.

Frozen Sooner
6/3/2008, 10:28 AM

This is incorrect.

A major component of your credit score is ratio of used revolving credit to available revolving credit.

NormanPride
6/3/2008, 10:37 AM
So have a ton of credit available but not use much of it?

Frozen Sooner
6/3/2008, 10:40 AM
Yes.

Having most of your available credit used up indicates that you are living beyond your means and is a major indicator of future bankruptcy. Having a lot of available credit also means that you can ride out a financial crisis better than someone who's tapped out.

For what it's worth, this information was given to me directly from a statistician with the Fair, Isaac company. You may get different information from various people who are paid to talk about personal finance.

mdklatt
6/3/2008, 10:51 AM
For what it's worth, this information was given to me directly from a statistician with the Fair, Isaac company. You may get different information from various people who are paid to talk about personal finance.

I had a 30-day trial to a credit reporting service, and one of the features was a what-if calculator that let you see how various things would effect your credit score. I have one credit card that I rarely use, but my credit score would go down quite a bit if I close that account. So when people tell you that cutting up all your credit cards will boost your credit score, they're wrong.

soonermix
6/3/2008, 10:56 AM
f-r-e-e that spells free credit report dot com babee

soonerbrat
6/3/2008, 10:58 AM
I had a 30-day trial to a credit reporting service, and one of the features was a what-if calculator that let you see how various things would effect your credit score. I have one credit card that I rarely use, but my credit score would go down quite a bit if I close that account. So when people tell you that cutting up all your credit cards will boost your credit score, they're wrong.

just cut'em up and leave the accounts open

SoonerAtKU
6/3/2008, 11:15 AM
It is true that long-standing accounts reflect better on your score than newly-opened ones. If you close a well-performing card that you've had a long time, you can take a fairly large hit to your credit score. When I worked for Chase, we would always laugh internally at the people who revolved their balance among cards that offer 0% for 6 mos or whatever. Opening and closing accounts that rapidly speaks to a huge credit risk, and that's reflected in your score.