PDA

View Full Version : gameplan worth it?

airdish
6/2/2008, 09:54 PM
For the first time I now have digital cable in Philly so I am thinking about getting the ESPN gameplan. How do people like it? I know they won’t show every OU game but do they show most of them? What about Big 12 games in general?

Its only 100 bucks or so, so it seems like a pretty good deal.

KentuckySooner
6/2/2008, 11:11 PM
I don't know about the upcoming season but Gameplan was a huge waste of money for me in KY. For 2 seasons I paid for it and got maybe 1 or 2 extra games that I actually cared to see. My advice for what it is worth is shove an antenna up your *** and hope for the best. I would guess that would work out better than Gameplan...plus you can walk like an aggie.

In all seriousness save your money for a sportsbar!

KentuckySooner
6/2/2008, 11:12 PM
Damn it.... I need to ****ing learn how to do the ****ing thing where a put the damn spaces and **** in my words so I can get my bitching curse words out without these goddamn censors ****ing it all up. I mean ****!

SoonerKnight
6/2/2008, 11:23 PM
Damn it.... I need to ****ing learn how to do the ****ing thing where a put the damn spaces and **** in my words so I can get my bitching curse words out without these goddamn censors ****ing it all up. I mean ****!

Anger management maybe? :D

snp
6/3/2008, 02:03 AM
Have you considered a Slingbox (http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingbox)?

I guess I'm getting Gameplan this year too so we're in the same boat. I think I'll just go through Sopcast (http://www.sopcast.com/) for any games that I won't get in the Houston area. They seemed to have most of the games last year anyways. Although I wouldn't call it reliable.

SoonerKnight
6/3/2008, 02:46 AM
not worth it.

AlbqSooner
6/3/2008, 06:08 AM
Find a good sports bar with a ton of TVs. Walk in on Friday and ask the manager if they will be able to get the OU game. If so, return on Saturday, find a comfortable seat and hand him a $20 to put the OU game on the nearest screen. I never had a problem seeing OU games in Florida that way.

olevetonahill
6/3/2008, 08:07 AM
I bot it ONCE , If your Only buying For OU games Save ur Monies. You can order single Games, for 20 Bucks.

CU Sooner
6/3/2008, 09:19 AM
Being in Philly you may get 4 or 5 OU games from gameplan. It definitly works for subscribers who are trying to get games that are not in their region. I bought a couple of years ago but did not get one OU game because they black out the regional games even if the game is not played on your local channel. If you want it because you love college football then do it.

Hotel Bravo
6/3/2008, 11:05 AM
I bought it 2 years ago and still missed a couple games. Last year I decided not to, and only had to pay for 2 or 3 games. So just for me to watch the OU games I saved 40 bucks. I'm also in Central PA.

I ended up suscribing to FSN with Comcast and am paying only 5 or 15 bucks more a month and I'm getting a lot of the Big 12 stuff that I wouldn't normally see.

trey
6/3/2008, 12:27 PM
i've had it for about 7 years and can't imagine not having it. i think the ou-baylor game from '03 is the only ou game i haven't been able to watch. $100 is cheap for 10-15 games a week for 12 weeks. it's also cool when your friends complain that they didn't see a certain game, you just say "i did"

r5TPsooner
6/3/2008, 03:35 PM
It is well worth it. On top of OU games you get to see out of market games that may have a greater impact on the national title picture. Plus, getting to see a big time school (like Michigan) get there *** beat by the likes of Appalachian State is priceless.

Like someone mentioned above... $100 for a bunch of good college football games is a steal, especially if some of them finally get televised in HD one of these days.

AllAboutThe'O'
6/3/2008, 04:50 PM
It is well worth it. On top of OU games you get to see out of market games that may have a greater impact on the national title picture. Plus, getting to see a big time school (like Michigan) get there *** beat by the likes of Appalachian State is priceless.

Like someone mentioned above... $100 for a bunch of good college football games is a steal, especially if some of them finally get televised in HD one of these days.
Wasn't the App. State-Michigan game shown on the Big 10 Network? You don't get the Big 10 Network games on Gameplan, just the ESPNPlus Big 10 games, along with the Raycom SEC and ACC games, the local WAC and, my personal favorite, the regional ABC games you don't get on your local ABC station.

bstuff1979
6/3/2008, 05:56 PM
I never ordered the season package, but the game by game option (if they still have that) is a great way to go. While I was in school in Ohio, I think I may have been the only kid to have a digital cable box. Worth every penny after the 2001 OU tex. party in my dorm room. Even worth the room damage charge tacked on to the tuition bill...and the bribe money to the RA.

sooner94
6/4/2008, 10:12 AM
I live in Dallas so I get to see all of the televised OU games, and I still get GamePlan every year. Even if there is only one game a week that I want to watch that GamePlan allows me to get (there is at least one per week), it is worth it.

It beats going to a sports bar to catch a good game. It doesn't take too many bar tabs at a sports bar to add up to $100 during a season.

VA Sooner
6/4/2008, 12:29 PM
Living in Virginia, I bought the Comcast package and got a lot of games I wouldn't have seen otherwise. The weird thing is, you have to really pay attention to the broadcast times because sometimes the games are broadcast in the middle of the night on a Monday or Tuesday. Missed a game that way.

By way... anyone have a copy of the OU-Utah State game... only one I didn't get to see last year. Willing to trade...

PDXsooner
6/4/2008, 02:10 PM
absolutely worth it. if there is any slim chance an OU game won't be shown as the regional ABC game in your area, it's worth it. because it shows ALL the abc regional games. it's worth it and then some...

OUrules
6/4/2008, 03:09 PM
If your a true college football fan get it. I have 3 TV's going with the 3 best games on from noon until I can't keep my eyes open watching west coast games. As mentioned above it works out for the ABC/ESPN regional games if you don't live in the midwest. Gameplan plus FSN and your all set.....

badger
6/4/2008, 03:13 PM
Living in Tulsa, there's not much to worry about. The only game not televised via local cable was Utah State, which we PPV'd for 30 bucks. Not bad, probably the cost of one cheapy ticket :D

sooner94
6/4/2008, 05:45 PM
For the first time I now have digital cable in Philly so I am thinking about getting the ESPN gameplan. How do people like it? I know they won’t show every OU game but do they show most of them? What about Big 12 games in general?

Its only 100 bucks or so, so it seems like a pretty good deal.

Do you get all of the Fox Sports channels? You might want to consider that as well. Seems like at least 3 games a year are on Fox Sports Soutwest. You may not get the game on an east coast Fox Sports channel. I think it costs about $10/month for all of the regional Fox Sports.

Indy Sooner
6/22/2008, 10:18 PM
especially if some of them finally get televised in HD one of these days.

I've gotten GamePlan the last couple of years and have suffered through the sometimes pitiful reception on the feed made available. Until some HD content is worked into the package, I'm out.

goingoneight
6/22/2008, 11:27 PM
John Blake never put much stock into gameplanning.

adoniijahsooner
6/23/2008, 12:15 AM
It's not worth it. last year I watch alot of games on espn360.com for free, and they were basically the same games being shown on gameplan.

olevetonahill
6/23/2008, 05:34 AM
Do you get all of the Fox Sports channels? You might want to consider that as well. Seems like at least 3 games a year are on Fox Sports Soutwest. You may not get the game on an east coast Fox Sports channel. I think it costs about $10/month for all of the regional Fox Sports.

Winner !

Scott D
6/23/2008, 07:28 AM
I had gameplan the past couple of years, and the only games I didn't see when they first came on were the two that were on the PPV status. And to be honest, I wasn't dying to see the Utah State game immediately either. But it's also interesting to watch other games in other conferences, and hear how their tv guys feel about certain teams or certain conferences.

Outopia
6/23/2008, 09:54 AM
I live in AZ, and I buy it every year (for the last four years). I only watch OU on it about once a season, as all of their other games have been on broadcast TV out here. I like to watch the other teams play too, so it is nice to see other Big Twelve teams play that are not broadcast local. I watch it from 9 AM (ACC, Big Ten) to 9 PM (Pac 10, WAC, Mountain West) every Saturday until Nov (AZ does not observe Daylight Savings time), then it is 10 AM to 10 PM until December. Some areas of the country make having it more worthwhile to watch OU, if that is your primary motivation. If not, then only get it if you're just a big fan of College Football and you just like to watch a lot of it.

I have only missed a couple of (OU) games here since 2000. They were not televised. I saw most of the Utah State game last year (joined in progress) as well. Most of what we see here is Big Ten in the AM, Big Twelve in the Afternoon, and Pac Ten in the PM. Gameplan gives me a choice of watching a better game than local regional broadcasts foist upon you.

MI Sooner
6/23/2008, 11:36 AM
People keep referring to the getting it "game by game." At least w/ both Comcast and Dish Network here in Michigan, you actualy get the whole day's games for ~$20. I've never gotten a full season, because Gameplan typically only has ~3-4 out of market ABC OU games a year.

One thing to watch out for. I think Gameplan uses an affiliate's feed, say Topeka. Well if Topeka carries the exciting 4th quarter of Va Tech-Citadel that's running long instead of the 1st quarter of the OU game, you miss the 1st quarter. I've had this happen to me a couple of times.

Outopia
6/23/2008, 08:29 PM
People keep referring to the getting it "game by game." At least w/ both Comcast and Dish Network here in Michigan, you actualy get the whole day's games for ~$20. I've never gotten a full season, because Gameplan typically only has ~3-4 out of market ABC OU games a year.

One thing to watch out for. I think Gameplan uses an affiliate's feed, say Topeka. Well if Topeka carries the exciting 4th quarter of Va Tech-Citadel that's running long instead of the 1st quarter of the OU game, you miss the 1st quarter. I've had this happen to me a couple of times.

Some times, out here (AZ), they will put the game on another channel that is unused at that time in the group until the first game ends. Most of the time, when OU plays, they get a time slot on a channel that has no game on it pryor to the OU game. It does make it hard to record when another game runs over though, since I have to shift the Tivo record settings when they shift the start to another channel. FOX broadcasts a lot of OU games in HD out here, but I needed Gameplan to watch Texas/Okie lite among others last year.

bringit
6/24/2008, 07:39 PM
I'm a Gameplan a la carter

arlington
6/24/2008, 11:00 PM
I think Game plan is worth it. It really doesnt have an affect on how many Sooner games I can get since i live in Texas, but its still cool seeing other teams play when the Sooner game isnt on. Especially late in the season when if you dont give a rat about the teams playing, you can look for "weather" games, like a Colorado State vs. Wyoming game played in a blizzard for the Golden Boot. Its only $100 bucks and usually every week i find 2 or 3 games from the smaller D1 schools that pose interesting matchups

soonerboy_odanorth
6/25/2008, 12:24 AM
I'll keep it simple. Yes, I think it is worth it. Not just for OU, but because I love college football and some of those other intersectional and conference matchups. With that, there is the caveat that during the Sept-Nov period, yes, you should buy the Fox Sports Package. ($10.99 a month, I believe.)

If you are an OU AND College Football fan that will get you covered.