PDA

View Full Version : Good news from Iraq

Harry Beanbag
6/2/2008, 06:27 PM

The Iraqi Upturn

Don't look now, but the U.S.-backed government and army may be winning the war.

Sunday, June 1, 2008; Page B06
THERE'S BEEN a relative lull in news coverage and debate about Iraq in recent weeks -- which is odd, because May could turn out to have been one of the most important months of the war. While Washington's attention has been fixed elsewhere, military analysts have watched with astonishment as the Iraqi government and army have gained control for the first time of the port city of Basra and the sprawling Baghdad neighborhood of Sadr City, routing the Shiite militias that have ruled them for years and sending key militants scurrying to Iran. At the same time, Iraqi and U.S. forces have pushed forward with a long-promised offensive in Mosul, the last urban refuge of al-Qaeda (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Al+Qaeda?tid=informline). So many of its leaders have now been captured or killed that U.S. Ambassador Ryan C. Crocker (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Ryan+Crocker?tid=informline), renowned for his cautious assessments, said that the terrorists have "never been closer to defeat than they are now."

Iraq passed a turning point last fall when the U.S. counterinsurgency campaign launched in early 2007 produced a dramatic drop in violence and quelled the incipient sectarian war between Sunnis and Shiites. Now, another tipping point may be near, one that sees the Iraqi government and army restoring order in almost all of the country, dispersing both rival militias and the Iranian-trained "special groups" that have used them as cover to wage war against Americans. It is -- of course -- too early to celebrate; though now in disarray, the Mahdi Army (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/al-Mahdi+Army?tid=informline) of Moqtada al-Sadr (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Muqtada+al-Sadr?tid=informline) could still regroup, and Iran will almost certainly seek to stir up new violence before the U.S. and Iraqi elections this fall. Still, the rapidly improving conditions should allow U.S. commanders to make some welcome adjustments -- and it ought to mandate an already-overdue rethinking by the "this-war-is-lost" caucus in Washington, including Sen. Barack Obama (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Barack+Obama?tid=informline) (D-Ill.).

Gen. David H. Petraeus (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/David+Petraeus?tid=informline) signaled one adjustment in recent testimony to Congress, saying that he would probably recommend troop reductions in the fall going beyond the ongoing pullback of the five "surge" brigades deployed last year. Gen. Petraeus pointed out that attacks in Iraq hit a four-year low in mid-May and that Iraqi forces were finally taking the lead in combat and on multiple fronts at once -- something that was inconceivable a year ago. As a result the Iraqi government of Nouri al-Maliki (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Nouri+al-Maliki?tid=informline) now has "unparalleled" public support, as Gen. Petraeus put it, and U.S. casualties are dropping sharply. Eighteen American soldiers died in May, the lowest total of the war and an 86 percent drop from the 126 who died in May 2007.

If the positive trends continue, proponents of withdrawing most U.S. troops, such as Mr. Obama, might be able to responsibly carry out further pullouts next year. Still, the likely Democratic nominee needs a plan for Iraq based on sustaining an improving situation, rather than abandoning a failed enterprise. That will mean tying withdrawals to the evolution of the Iraqi army and government, rather than an arbitrary timetable; Iraq's 2009 elections will be crucial. It also should mean providing enough troops and air power to continue backing up Iraqi army operations such as those in Basra and Sadr City. When Mr. Obama floated his strategy for Iraq last year, the United States appeared doomed to defeat. Now he needs a plan for success.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/31/AR2008053101927.html

StoopTroup
6/2/2008, 06:28 PM
So it's over?

Harry Beanbag
6/2/2008, 06:38 PM
Is that the only thing you would consider good news?

StoopTroup
6/2/2008, 06:42 PM
Is that the only thing you would consider good news?

Probably not...but after the Mission Accomplished deal...I need to know what a win is.

SoonerKnight
6/2/2008, 07:57 PM
I want to know what the definition is is! :D

Tulsa_Fireman
6/2/2008, 08:18 PM
And that was in the Post?

Surprising. I can see that being in the Times, but not the Post.

Harry Beanbag
6/2/2008, 10:09 PM
And that was in the Post?

Surprising. I can see that being in the Times, but not the Post.

Yeah I know. Interesting.

OklahomaTuba
6/3/2008, 08:57 AM
Obama and his leftist friends will do what ever it takes to appease terrorists and see Iraq go down in flames.

StoopTroup
6/3/2008, 09:02 AM
If George Bush doesn't bring Bin Laden to justice so McCain can unveil his plans to rebuild America Post-War...I'm afraid your right Tuba.

If 8 years of the Clintons didn't end the American Way...Obama won't be able to make much of a dent in the next four years either.

Pull down your zipper gentlemen...

It's time for another coconut check.

OklahomaTuba
6/3/2008, 09:20 AM
Rebuild America??

Only Obama can save us FROM 2.8% unemployment!!!

NormanPride
6/3/2008, 09:34 AM
Only you tools could turn a great thread about our military kicking *** into a party-line hatefest. I think that's sad.

Go America! Kick those terrorist's asses!

StoopTroup
6/3/2008, 09:37 AM
Only you tools could turn a great thread about our military kicking *** into a party-line hatefest. I think that's sad.

Go America! Kick those terrorist's asses!

Those terrorist better be glad I wasn't in charge.

I would have thrown out the Geneva Convention and brought in the Mossad as advisors.

JohnnyMack
6/3/2008, 09:41 AM
Obama and his leftist friends will do what ever it takes to appease terrorists and see Iraq go down in flames.

I miss you and your idiotic, scare-tactic, brainwashed posts. You shouldn't be such a stranger.

JohnnyMack
6/3/2008, 09:42 AM
Those terrorist better be glad I wasn't in charge.

I would have thrown out the Geneva Convention and brought in the Mossad as advisors.

Pfffttt....Mossad shmad.

I woulda bought an Imperial Star Destroyer and straight ****ed them up.

soonerhubs
6/3/2008, 09:46 AM
I think it's exciting to see such "inconceivable" situations in Iraq become normal. I pray the momentum continues, because if Iraq gains in power as an American ally this will bode well for the U.S. in a number of ways.

StoopTroup
6/3/2008, 09:48 AM
I think it's exciting to see such "inconceivable" situations in Iraq become normal. I pray the momentum continues, because if Iraq gains in power as an American ally this will bode well for the U.S. in a number of ways.

Tru Dat.

OklahomaTuba
6/3/2008, 01:26 PM
I miss you and your idiotic, scare-tactic, brainwashed posts. You shouldn't be such a stranger.
You're just mad cause you know how true my post was.

:)

Scott D
6/3/2008, 04:16 PM

I still give them less than a decade before they either a) hate us, or b) are part of the Islamic Republic of Iran.

mdklatt
6/3/2008, 04:20 PM
I still give them less than a decade before they...hate us

I'm pretty sure we're already there.

What are we going to do when they eventually elect themselves an Islamist government, like the Palestinian Authority?

SicEmBaylor
6/3/2008, 05:40 PM
Probably not...but after the Mission Accomplished deal...I need to know what a win is.

Technically he was correct I think. The operation to remove Saddam's government and destroy the Iraq army was over....

Sooner_Havok
6/3/2008, 06:07 PM
The sooner they can die for their country so our boys don't have to, the better