PDA

View Full Version : Anthlon's write up on the Sooners

milesl
6/2/2008, 12:49 PM
They also have all the stats and schedule, which would copy and paste. It is here. I'm addicted to these mags even though they are usually meaningless midway through the season.
http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/13613/no-3-oklahoma

No. 3 Oklahoma Sooners

Editor’s Note: Beginning every May 1, Athlon Sports counts toward the release of its College Football Annuals by releasing one spot in its Top 25 every weekday for five weeks. The No. 1 team will be revealed June 4. Check AthlonSports.com every day to see who’s next in the countdown. The 2008 College Football Annuals hit newsstands June 3rd.

No Allen Patrick? No Malcolm Kelly? No problem. Quarterback Sam Bradford took the reins of Bob Stoops’ offense as a redshirt freshman in 2007 and captured the nation’s passing efficiency crown, with Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow coming in second. Bradford set a new NCAA freshman record with 36 touchdown passes, bettering the old mark by seven. He had consecutive completion streaks of 22 and 21, twice beating the old school record of 18 set by Jason White. And he threw five touchdown passes in a game twice, against Miami and Texas A&M.

Bradford’s favorite target should be Juaquin Iglesias, more than half of whose 128 career receptions came last season. Iglesias scored five times on 68 catches and averaged 10.9 yards on eight rushes.

DeMarco Murray ran for 764 yards, 6.0 per carry and a team-high 13 touchdowns last season as a freshman. He ran back two kickoffs for touchdowns and scored on a 92-yard run from scrimmage. If he can rebound full-speed from a dislocated kneecap that cut his season short, and freshman Jermie Calhoun is all he’s cracked up to be, look out for the Sooners on the ground, especially since all five starters and two top backups are back in the O-Line. The left side, where tackle Phil Loadholt and guard Duke Robinson line up, is particularly stout.

The defensive front four should be a team strength, anchored by end Auston English and tackle Gerald McCoy, but linebacker Curtis Lofton, the Sooners’ leading tackler, and cornerback Reggie Smith both left for the pros with remaining eligibility. Defensive coordinator Brent Venables will shore up the back seven around linebacker Ryan Reynolds and safety Nic Harris.

The Sept. 27 matchup against TCU appears to be this year’s stiffest out-of-conference test, but the competition really heats up with consecutive midseason tilts against Texas in Dallas, and Kansas in Norman. Nebraska and Texas Tech both must visit Memorial Stadium in November.

Double-digit wins Oklahoma has won at least 10 games in a season on 30 occasions, more than any other school in the country.

Long distance The Sooners led the nation in kickoff returns last fall, averaging 28.3 yards on 56 runbacks.

Their own league Oklahoma has won 41 conference championships in 93 years as a league member — that’s 44 percent of the time.

Oklahoma superlatives:

OL Duke Robinson and DT Gerald McCoy are named First-Team All-America and First-Team All-Big 12.

S Nic Harris is named Third-Team All-America and First-Team All-Big 12.

C Jon Cooper, OL Phil Loadholt and DL Auston English are named First-Team All-Big 12.

QB Sam Bradford, RB DeMarco Murray, WR and KR Juaquin Iglesias, TE Jermaine Gresham, OL Brandon Walker and DL DeMarcus Granger are named Second-Team All-Big 12.

RB Chris Brown and LB Ryan Reynolds join the All-Big 12 Third Team.

milesl
6/2/2008, 12:52 PM
one more time......
They also have all the stats and schedule, which wouldn't copy and paste. It is here. I'm addicted to these mags even though they are usually meaningless midway through the season.
http://www.athlonsports.com/college-.../no-3-oklahoma

milesl
6/2/2008, 12:53 PM
hope this works.....
http://www.athlonsports.com/store/images/Oklahoma_v01.jpg

sooner518
6/2/2008, 02:00 PM
http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/store/images/Saved_By_The_Bell_Im_Having_a_Zach_Attack-T.jpg

sooner94
6/2/2008, 02:53 PM
http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/store/images/Saved_By_The_Bell_Im_Having_a_Zach_Attack-T.jpg

spek coming your way. That is FUNNY!

Animal Mother
6/2/2008, 03:13 PM
spek coming your way. That is FUNNY!

No kidding that's funny!!!

I just hee hawed out loud here where I sleep........ I mean work.

Jacie
6/3/2008, 06:47 AM
#'s 1 and 2 must be Florida and Ohio State or Ohio State and Florida . . .

IronHorseSooner
6/3/2008, 11:43 AM
#'s 1 and 2 must be Florida and Ohio State or Ohio State and Florida

Florida = No defense, and as much as I like Tebow and respect him as a person, there's no way he can carry the load for another season like that. I am stationed down here in Tampa, and that opinion is common here. #1 or #2 is way too high for them. I would have them at about #5/#6 with Mizzou. Those two teams are about the same.

tOSU = :rolleyes: . They must be the most boring team to watch outside of Georgetown basketball. After they get pwned by SUC, they won't be that high anymore.

My top 10:
1. Georgia
2. tOSU
3. OU
4. SUC
5. Mizzou
6. FLA
7. WVU
8. TTECH
9. VTECH
10. KU

AllAboutThe'O'
6/3/2008, 04:53 PM
Florida = No defense, and as much as I like Tebow and respect him as a person, there's no way he can carry the load for another season like that. I am stationed down here in Tampa, and that opinion is common here. #1 or #2 is way too high for them. I would have them at about #5/#6 with Mizzou. Those two teams are about the same.

tOSU = :rolleyes: . They must be the most boring team to watch outside of Georgetown basketball. After they get pwned by SUC, they won't be that high anymore.

My top 10:
1. Georgia
2. tOSU
3. OU
4. SUC
5. Mizzou
6. FLA
7. WVU
8. TTECH
9. VTECH
10. KU
I love the fact that you have four Big XII teams in your preseason top 10 and none of them is Texas. spek your way.:D

meoveryouxinfinity
6/3/2008, 05:28 PM

My top 10:
1. Georgia
2. tOSU
3. OU
4. SUC
5. Mizzou
6. FLA
7. WVU
8. TTECH
9. VTECH
10. KU

Georgia loses 2 games. Virginia Tech is always overrated.

VA Sooner
6/4/2008, 12:35 PM
Georgia is the most interesting team, second only to OU of course. I watched them change in the second half of the season... I can't remember what adjustment they made, but the team was a monster in the second half of the season. Hawaii took a beating, especially that star QB Colt Brennan. Georgia was angry about something.

Which two games are they going to lose?

soonerfan28
6/4/2008, 04:14 PM

That was my first thought when I saw it.

soonerfan28
6/4/2008, 04:17 PM

My top 10:
1. Georgia
2. tOSU
3. OU
4. SUC
5. Mizzou
6. FLA
7. WVU
8. TTECH
9. VTECH
10. KU

Don't be so sure that Florida has no D. They recruited pretty well the last 2 years and those r-fresh and soph's are pretty good. I'll say that Carlos Dunlap will have a break out year. The dude is a beast.

oupride
6/4/2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the post. These mags are usually worthless after week 1, however I am addicted too!

Flying Scotsman
6/4/2008, 10:17 PM
...Big Zac Attack...with fries. I wonder if Zac's mom feeds him KFC, too....

JLEW1818
6/4/2008, 10:32 PM
Georgia is the most interesting team, second only to OU of course. I watched them change in the second half of the season... I can't remember what adjustment they made, but the team was a monster in the second half of the season. Hawaii took a beating, especially that star QB Colt Brennan. Georgia was angry about something.

Arizona State, Auburn

The ASU game will be one of their biggest home games ever, i'm sure the fans will be in that one. I like Auburn to win the West.

Big Red Ron
6/5/2008, 11:02 PM
Uterus not in the top 10?

AllAboutThe'O'
6/6/2008, 12:14 AM
Arizona State, Auburn

The ASU game will be one of their biggest home games ever, i'm sure the fans will be in that one. I like Auburn to win the West.

I'm not sold on ASU. I think they played well last season but folded like a cheap tent when faced with their biggest tests of the season (USC, Oregon and Texas in the Holiday Bowl).

I think UGA goes to LSU this year as well.

texas bandman
6/6/2008, 12:53 AM
I think the other OSU is on the rise. :D

(ducks)

AllAboutThe'O'
6/6/2008, 01:23 AM
I think the other OSU is on the rise. :D

(ducks)

Oregon State? Speaking of Ducks, the Beavers outlasted them in last year's "Civil War."

goingoneight
6/6/2008, 01:31 AM
OSU = Beavers
BPSU = ****ies...

... slight difference. ;)

meoveryouxinfinity
6/6/2008, 10:25 AM

They have a pretty dang hard schedule.
@ South Car (I think they win, but I can see them slipping early in the season)
@ ASU (" ")
vs Alabama
vs Tenn
@ LSU
Florida in Fl
@ Kentucky
@ Auburn

If they go through that undefeated, they are DAMN good, and I don't think they are. I'd say they at least lose @ Auburn

JLEW1818
6/7/2008, 11:57 PM
This might sound really broad and common. But I think the National championship will consist of 2 of the these 4 teams.

Oklahoma
USC
Auburn
Ohio State

tulsaoilerfan
6/8/2008, 01:34 AM
41 conference championships in 93 years is pretty damn impressive(unless that's in the Big 10) :)