PDA

View Full Version : Roman Nose Resort?

r5TPsooner
6/2/2008, 12:43 AM
The wife and I will be celebrating our 15 year wedding anniversary in JUly and I was thinking of taking her to Roman Nose to play some golf, do some horseback riding, and simply to have a weekend away from the kids.

Anyone have any experience with the place, golf course or local attractions in or near Watonga?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Big Red Ron
6/2/2008, 12:45 AM
Watonga cheese factory. Congrats bro.

CORNholio
6/2/2008, 03:26 AM
Dont. Do. It.

YWIA.

Hell take her to Gotebo, you'd be better off.

soonerbrat
6/2/2008, 08:02 AM
take her to branson

SanJoaquinSooner
6/2/2008, 08:08 AM
I didn't realize they made vast improvements to Roman Nose so that people would want to go there.

olevetonahill
6/2/2008, 08:08 AM
take her to branson

He aint Sicem
Now For a quality weekend Bring her To the Olevet Shack. and Spa emporium
For a wine and Shine Tasting .:hot:

Whet
6/2/2008, 08:10 AM
take her to branson

Go see the Boxcar Willie show!
Go to Steal Yer Dollar City and visit the cave!
Take a ride on a Duck!
Play golf at Pointe Royale.
Or, go to the Bald Knobbers!

r5TPsooner
6/2/2008, 08:12 AM
That bad huh guys? Too bad, I guess I'll go to Plan B which is undecided.

olevetonahill
6/2/2008, 08:13 AM
Hell They Get the Free tour Here
Boxcar willies Is Just around the Corner . Karoke ever nite

olevetonahill
6/2/2008, 08:15 AM
That bad huh guys? Too bad, I guess I'll go to Plan B which is undecided.

Plan B = OLevets Shack
I really dont Know anything about Roman Nose

soonerbrat
6/2/2008, 08:17 AM
go to red river new mexico. it's beautiful in the summer and would be a nice break from the heat.

Condescending Sooner
6/2/2008, 08:34 AM
The Roman Nose golf course is kick ***. It is beautiful, but you will lose multiple balls.

M
6/2/2008, 08:48 AM
Unless your woman really loves golf or riding horses, I would choose someplace else.

...But there's an *** for every seat.

Lott's Bandana
6/2/2008, 08:49 AM
Quartz Mountain Lodge near Altus. Doesn't seem like Oklahoma...the Lodge is strikingly beautiful, restaurant is for real good and the lake is quite pretty...golf is so-so but views and art in the Lodge makes it a romantic time...been there 3 times recently already with dates. Needless to say...

My photos:

http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1212414268.jpg

Lodge and Performing Arts Center

http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1212414481.jpg

Lodge. Winter photo. Note the outdoor fireplace through the sculpture.

Viking Kitten
6/2/2008, 08:50 AM
Unless your woman really loves golf or riding horses, I would choose someplace else.

...But there's an *** for every seat.

*snickers*

Viking Kitten
6/2/2008, 08:53 AM
Speaking of weekend getaways, anyone have any experience with one of these Oklahoma winery weekend thingies?

Viking Kitten
6/2/2008, 08:55 AM
And I don't mean olevet's winery either. :P

Lott's Bandana
6/2/2008, 09:00 AM
"Oklahoma Winery" = Oxymoron

Sort of like:

"California BBQ"

"Sausalito Catfish Platter"

Viking Kitten
6/2/2008, 09:15 AM
Is that based on 1)you tried the wine and didn't like it, 2)you stayed at a winery for the weekend and didn't like it, or 3)just your perception that tasty wine can't possibly come from Oklahoma?

sooneron
6/2/2008, 09:22 AM
I would hit somewhere like Ruidoso or Cloudcroft, NM. Nice setting that's pretty, the weather will be a little cooler, there's good golf and horse racing too.

sooneron
6/2/2008, 09:23 AM
Is that based on 1)you tried the wine and didn't like it, 2)you stayed at a winery for the weekend and didn't like it, or 3)just your perception that tasty wine can't possibly come from Oklahoma?

I'll take 1) I thought the wines that I tried were really average to not good.

r5TPsooner
6/2/2008, 09:54 AM
The Roman Nose golf course is kick ***. It is beautiful, but you will lose multiple balls.

I'm a 9 handicap. I doubt that I lose that many balls. Of course, I shouldn't have said that because now I'm doomed.:D

r5TPsooner
6/2/2008, 09:57 AM
Is it just low brow, what's the problem with the place? BTW, we love golfing and the wife has never been horseback riding and she really wants to.

Maybe I should just fly us to Barton Creek in Austin but I was trying to make it a weekend dealio since we have the kids and will be recruiting family to watch them.

sooner_born_1960
6/2/2008, 09:59 AM
r5, just go, fer cryin' out loud. I'm sure you'll have fun.

sooneron
6/2/2008, 09:59 AM
I would also consider B'ville and staying at the old Price Tower designed by FL Wright. I am not so up on the golf up there, however. I would guess that Picasso would be. Last time I played in Bartlesville, we played Hillcrest back when Reagan was in office!

soonerbrat
6/2/2008, 10:10 AM
Is it just low brow, what's the problem with the place? BTW, we love golfing and the wife has never been horseback riding and she really wants to.

Maybe I should just fly us to Barton Creek in Austin but I was trying to make it a weekend dealio since we have the kids and will be recruiting family to watch them.

there's a nice bed & breakfast in Guthrie that has horseback riding

soonerbrat
6/2/2008, 10:13 AM
I went to Quartz Mountain for a wedding last october..it was nice down there, pretty lake, hiking and the rooms were nice too.

sooneron
6/2/2008, 10:16 AM
I went to Quartz Mountain for a wedding last october..it was nice down there, pretty lake, hiking and the rooms were nice too.

Quartz Mtn is nice, but OSAI is going on in the summer a lot, so the place can be booked up and it's REALLY FRIGGIN HAWT down there.

soonerbrat
6/2/2008, 10:17 AM
Quartz Mtn is nice, but OSAI is going on in the summer a lot, so the place can be booked up and it's REALLY FRIGGIN HAWT down there.

yah, it was pretty friggin hawt in october too. but it was still pretty

soonerbrat
6/2/2008, 10:18 AM
i still vote Red River New Mexico. you can rent a cabin with a pond, do some trout fishing in the pond and in the river, go horseback riding, and the little town is really cute

sooneron
6/2/2008, 10:18 AM
****! Somewhere I posted #19k today!!! :mad:

OU4LIFE
6/2/2008, 10:29 AM
Cast me for one vote against Roman Nose.

My wife surprised me with a trip there a couple years ago for our anniversary, golf and stuff. We get there, the course had JUST been aerated, they didn't tell her, AND when we go, they wouldn't even offer any kind of discount. Needless to say, we left the course and just spent the time doing other things.

IMO, if you are aerating, let people know that call and make golf reservations, and if you don't tell them, offer a discount...don't expect them to pay full price to play of greens you can't even putt on. Jerkholes.

the end.

Mjcpr
6/2/2008, 10:41 AM
For the record, I am aerating this morning.

OU4LIFE
6/2/2008, 10:48 AM
are you offering a discount?

sooneron
6/2/2008, 10:52 AM
I thought Pat was always discounted.

Big Red Ron
6/2/2008, 11:11 AM
"Oklahoma Winery" = Oxymoron

Sort of like:

"California BBQ"

"Sausalito Catfish Platter"
Wrong. The reason the Winery biz is booming in Oklahoma is the clay soil, latitude and climate are ideal for grapes. Especially for Cabernet and Merlots.

Big Red Ron
6/2/2008, 11:17 AM
i still vote Red River New Mexico. you can rent a cabin with a pond, do some trout fishing in the pond and in the river, go horseback riding, and the little town is really cute
I would agree beautiful area. It's kinda folksy for me, so if you want a more upscale place, I'd go to Taos or Santa Fe.

r5TPsooner
6/2/2008, 11:18 AM
Cast me for one vote against Roman Nose.

My wife surprised me with a trip there a couple years ago for our anniversary, golf and stuff. We get there, the course had JUST been aerated, they didn't tell her, AND when we go, they wouldn't even offer any kind of discount. Needless to say, we left the course and just spent the time doing other things.

IMO, if you are aerating, let people know that call and make golf reservations, and if you don't tell them, offer a discount...don't expect them to pay full price to play of greens you can't even putt on. Jerkholes.

the end.

I would not have been a happy camper. I would have asked, no, demanded compensation. Putting on aerated greens is like driving over a dirt road in Pottawatomie County. Not telling your wife before hand was just low brow IMHO.

soonerbrat
6/2/2008, 11:25 AM
I would agree beautiful area. It's kinda folksy for me, so if you want a more upscale place, I'd go to Taos or Santa Fe.

for more culture, yeah, taos or santa fe..but for kicking back and relaxing, definitely red river. My grandparents used to take me there every summer...you can rent cabins with cute little porches and it's quiet except for the sound of the river running through..then catch fresh trout and cook'em up for dinner? can't beat it.

Big Red Ron
6/2/2008, 11:27 AM
for more culture, yeah, taos or santa fe..but for kicking back and relaxing, definitely red river. My grandparents used to take me there every summer...you can rent cabins with cute little porches and it's quiet except for the sound of the river running through..then catch fresh trout and cook'em up for dinner? can't beat it.Agee 100%. You can also ride up chair lift on, "The Face," in the summer.

Lott's Bandana
6/2/2008, 12:09 PM

yes

no

yes

Snob alert:

The grapes here are subject to extremely inconsistent weather and tend to be excruciatingly sweet and sugary, more for making jam than wine. If you take a nice Port, add three packs of Sweet and Low, shake it up...that is what our lovely state produces. I am an Okiefornian and love all things that come from this state: football, oil/gas, pretty wimmins...but I pass on the OK wine like I'd pass on Oklahoma lobster. ('Cept mebbe a mess a crawfish)

As far as a weekend outing, is there a place in particular you have in mind VK? I'd be interested in checking it out...

Mjcpr
6/2/2008, 12:17 PM
As far as a weekend outing, is there a place in particular you have in mind VK? I'd be interested in checking it out...

I am almost certain that VK is married.

Lott's Bandana
6/2/2008, 12:24 PM
Wrong. The reason the Winery biz is booming in Oklahoma is the clay soil, latitude and climate are ideal for grapes. Especially for Cabernet and Merlots.

Disagree BRR,

The weather here is sh**t for Cabs and Merlots and the reason the winery biz is booming all comes down to one thing:

Cheap land.

Like I said in a previous post, sweet sugary table wine is what OK can produce and that is fine...go with it.

Srsly, if you have an Oklahoma Cab you recommend, I'll gladly try it and give it a chance...I would love to be wrong on this. All I have seen and tasted is Dessert Wine and Red Table Wine...neither one of which I have had the desire to purchase for my "collection".

Lott's Bandana
6/2/2008, 12:25 PM
I am almost certain that VK is married.

Actually, I have no issues trolling for BFF's.

Viking Kitten
6/2/2008, 12:52 PM
Disagree BRR,

The weather here is sh**t for Cabs and Merlots and the reason the winery biz is booming all comes down to one thing:

Cheap land.

Like I said in a previous post, sweet sugary table wine is what OK can produce and that is fine...go with it.

Srsly, if you have an Oklahoma Cab you recommend, I'll gladly try it and give it a chance...I would love to be wrong on this. All I have seen and tasted is Dessert Wine and Red Table Wine...neither one of which I have had the desire to purchase for my "collection".

That actually makes sense based on the Oklahoma wines I've tried. I found some whites I liked; the cabernets not so much because I did think they were too sweet. Given that I'm not a big fan of whites in the first place, I'm probably prone to be less snobby about them.

As far as the winery getaways are concerned, I've have been hearing about Tidal School Vineyards in Drumright... wanna go check it out for me, LB?:P

Big Red Ron
6/2/2008, 01:25 PM
Disagree BRR,

Cheap land.

That's mostly a function of the age of the grape vines. Since wine has generally been produced for less than a decade in Oklahoma, the grape plants are not yet old enough. It will improve.

Optimal grape conditions depend on a lot of factors including types of soil (our red dirt is great for root development), proximity to a river, adequate sun exposure and long growing seasons. If you look at a map, you will see Oklahoma is very close to So Cal's parallel too.

I'd say in another decade there will be some fantastic wine form Oklahoma.

I really like Oak Hill's Cab. http://www.oakhillswinery.com/

sooneron
6/2/2008, 03:21 PM
You need more than clay for a good red, fyi.

Big Red Ron
6/2/2008, 03:47 PM
You need more than clay for a good red, fyi.FYI
Read the above post. Reading comprehension isn't just a river in Arkansas. ;)

Newbomb Turk
6/2/2008, 03:51 PM
sooneron = moran

:D

r5TPsooner
6/2/2008, 03:52 PM
I think my thread got jacked.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/2/2008, 03:58 PM
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Viking Kitten
6/2/2008, 03:58 PM
If I had the capacity for remorse, I'd feel real sorry about that. ;)

sooneron
6/2/2008, 04:17 PM
FYI
Read the above post. Reading comprehension isn't just a river in Arkansas. ;)

You need more limestone than red clay and the temp fluctuations in OK are NOT what you find in Cali. I don't care if it's the same parallel. It's not even the same as most places in France or Spain.

sooneron
6/2/2008, 04:17 PM
sooneron = moran

:D

**** off dip ****

Lott's Bandana
6/2/2008, 04:20 PM
That's mostly a function of the age of the grape vines. Since wine has generally been produced for less than a decade in Oklahoma, the grape plants are not yet old enough. It will improve.

Optimal grape conditions depend on a lot of factors including types of soil (our red dirt is great for root development), proximity to a river, adequate sun exposure and long growing seasons. If you look at a map, you will see Oklahoma is very close to So Cal's parallel too.

I'd say in another decade there will be some fantastic wine form Oklahoma.

I really like Oak Hill's Cab. http://www.oakhillswinery.com/

I will give Oak Hill's Cab a try. I might hang on to it for a little while though, as you have a point about vine age as well as the canter. However, latitude plays only a small part in the development of grand wines. Israel and Australia make killer Shiraz, Napa makes awesome Merlot, Cabs and Chards, NorCal and the Coast - Zin and Pinot Noirs. France has their Burgandy and Champagne, Italy Chianti and Tokyo their Sake'. All of these are similar latitude, but so is Tucumcari, NM and Bahgdad. The thing the great varietals have in common is a maritime climate and ocean-spawned fog that acts as a protective blanket for most grapes. Again, consistant weather is the thing...the main thing. Soil determines the type of varietal more than the success of simple grape growing. Hence, the Fume' Blancs and Zins from the volcanic Sierra Foothills, for example.

Oh, I know Sake' is made from rice, but Tokyo shares our latitude, so I couldn't resist!

It's 4:15pm...all this is making me thirsty.

Lott's Bandana
6/2/2008, 04:29 PM
As far as the winery getaways are concerned, I've have been hearing about Tidal School Vineyards in Drumright... wanna go check it out for me, LB?:P

Drumright Wine Festival - June 14th.

Looked at the website and found a link to Serenity Retreat nearby in Bristow...either it's a Nudist Colony or George Costanza is in the B&B industry now.

Drumright makes me think of tabouli at Freddie's...

OMG! Serenity Retreat is a doublewide with an above-ground pool!!!!!!

http://www.serenityretreat-ok.com/

TAKE HER THERE, r5!!!

SleestakSooner
6/2/2008, 05:52 PM
Personally I really like Roman Nose. It isn't a very large place and usually isn't crowded. The golf is amazing there, really tough course. There is a decent mexican place there in Watonga and a great authentic german place up in Waynoka which isn't too far north of Roman Nose and the Little Sahara desert area is up there. It's a really good spot for renting ATV and riding the dunes.

Don't let anyone put you off vacationing up in that part of Oklahoma if they haven't been there recently. When I sold waterworks supplies in all of western OK that was my favorite area to visit.

Turd_Ferguson
6/2/2008, 06:03 PM
I concur. Roman Nose is a pretty descent course. The resort is not bad. Havn't been horeback riding there. Watch out for rattl'ers. I think it's #13 that takes about a 250'sh poke to get across the canyon and into the fairway from the tips, just be careful on the second shot. Oh, get the "kitchen sink" sammich from the club house. YWIA

olevetonahill
6/2/2008, 06:24 PM
And I don't mean olevet's winery either. :P

You are gonna be amazed this Fall when I bring the Tasting room to the Tailgates :cool:

Big Red Ron
6/2/2008, 08:38 PM
You need more limestone than red clay and the temp fluctuations in OK are NOT what you find in Cali. I don't care if it's the same parallel. It's not even the same as most places in France or Spain.
Actually there is no ideal soil. It's about Ph balance and we have that. Other than the three or four months of "winter" in Oklahoma our growing season is long. Like I said, let the grapes age another decade and there will be some better stuff coming out of Oklahoma.

BTW, I know all of this but still adhere to the old adage, "wine is fine but whiskey's quicker." I'll take a highland single malt any day over the best cab in the world.

Big Red Ron
6/2/2008, 08:44 PM
You've apparently never been to France. Talk about "temp fluctuations"

Jerk
6/2/2008, 08:46 PM
We stopped and ate the 'all you can eat' catfish and shrimp at Roman Nose last Friday. It was pretty good, not awesome, but good. That's the first time I've been there. The place seems nice, but the bathroom was kind of nasty and there were 6-legged creatures crawling up the walls watching me pee. They were remodeling one of the wings. Looked nice...but, it came across as a weekend get-a-way for, uh, old people. NTTAWWT.

Lots of trees and hills. It's kind of like Tulsa, in western oklahoma.

Hope this helps.

Big Red Ron
6/2/2008, 08:47 PM
We stopped and ate the 'all you can eat' catfish and shrimp at Roman Nose last Friday. It was pretty good, not awesome, but good. That's the first time I've been there. The place seems nice, but the bathroom was kind of nasty and there were 6-legged creatures crawling up the walls watching me pee. They were remodeling one of the wings. Looked nice...but, it came across as a weekend get-a-way for, uh, old people.

Lots of trees and hills. It's kind of like Tulsa, in western oklahoma.

Hope this helps.
Why you gotta be a jerk?

just messin witcha.