PDA

View Full Version : Hillary supporters and Michigan delegates

jkjsooner
6/1/2008, 10:24 AM
Do any of these Hillary supporters actually believe that it is fair to give her 100% of Michigan's delegates? Do they actually believe that she has the popular vote and that super delegates should go with her because of that. (Like super delegates are too stupid to realize how flawed their popular vote - counting Michigan - argument is?)

I'm at a loss to figure out if these people are really as blinded by loyalty as it appears or if they're simply doing everything possible to steal the election for Hillary. I suppose there's a mix of both (or even both within the same person).

Yesterday we had a SIL/BIL trying to pressure my wife to attend a "count all the votes" rally in DC. My wife, while voting for Hillary in the primary, agrees with me and I don't understand why her sister can't accept that she would not go to a rally that is diametrically opposed to her views on the matter.

I'm afraid that there's a chance Hillary can steal this election and that will result in a huge disenfranchisement (is that a word?) from the black community. To me it would be gift for McCain. Living in DC, I'm afraid that there might even be riots in this city if an election is stolen from our first legitimate black candidate.

I'm not sure why I'm so "afraid" that the democrats could be committing suicide considering I will be voting for McCain (for my own unique reasons) come November. As a democrat I guess I still want them to give themselves their best chance at winning.

Harry Beanbag
6/1/2008, 10:37 AM
I just think it's hilarious that they are counting the votes in Puerto ****ing Rico but not Michigan and Florida. :)

Soonerus
6/1/2008, 10:38 AM
Good for Hillary....

Flagstaffsooner
6/1/2008, 10:43 AM
I just think it's hilarious that they are counting the votes in Puerto ****ing Rico but not Michigan and Florida. :)Island messicans.

SoonerStormchaser
6/1/2008, 11:17 AM
I think it's funnay as **** that they all bitched and complained about not counting the votes in Florida during the 2000 election, but now they themselves are guilty of what they accused the Republicans of doing.

Mixer!
6/1/2008, 01:28 PM
http://thephoenix.com/secure/uploadedImages/The_Phoenix/News/News_Stories/TOTE-hillary_V2.jpg

Okla-homey
6/1/2008, 03:15 PM
I'm afraid that there's a chance Hillary can steal this election and that will result in a huge disenfranchisement (is that a word?) from the black community. To me it would be gift for McCain. Living in DC, I'm afraid that there might even be riots in this city if an election is stolen from our first legitimate black candidate.

FWIW, your use of "disenfranchisement" is partially accurate. It literally means denying someone the vote. Now, in this context, people were'nt denied the literal right to vote. In some cases they were denied the right to vote for the guy they wanted. What happens to their vote afterwards (shenanigans at the party level regarding who gets the nom) isn't therefore pure disenfranchisement. I'm not sure what it is, but election fraud comes to mind. Its not even that in this context because of the DNC's machiavellian rules.

Anyhoo, the DNC has created this monster and now they have to deal with it. In contrast, the RNC uses a "winner take all" approach and doesn't have "superdelegates." I don't mean to sound all condescending, but that approach is ironically inherently more "democratic" because it doesn't include an option whereby party elites (a/k/a the "smart people") get to veto Joe Six-pack's vote.

Here's the thing though. I doubt the yellow dog variety of Donk would vote for McCain under any circumstance. Mrs. Homey and I were discussing this sitcheeashun this very morning. We think what would happen if HRC gets it is a serious dip in Donk turn-out because Obama-donks would be less inclined to vote at all.

VeeJay
6/1/2008, 03:22 PM
Good thoughts, Homey, but then there's the sourpuss element of the Hillary's Entitled To The Throne constituency:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KACQuZVAE3s

Heh. How long before Harriet Christian appears on Hardball?

jkjsooner
6/1/2008, 05:42 PM
I just think it's hilarious that they are counting the votes in Puerto ****ing Rico but not Michigan and Florida. :)

I'm not sure about the level of sarcasm here. I would hope that you recognize that Puerto Rico is just as much a part of the U.S. as Oklahoma was prior to statehood.

That being said, I personally think they should pay income taxes if they're going to receive all the benefits of being part of the U.S. But they, and D.C., should have voting rights in at least the House.

SoonerKnight
6/2/2008, 02:15 AM
No Tax No Representation. Make them a state they pay taxes. Obama will lose. Hillary might win but even that would be close. It will be 4 years(if he lives that long. Old Age) of a Republican. After 12 year of the elephants we'll get a donk in office. Obama not gonna happen. My dad hasn't voted Republican in 40 years but this year he is voting Republican and I am sure he is not the only one.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/2/2008, 10:15 AM
Operation Chaos...

badger
6/2/2008, 10:25 AM
No Tax No Representation. Make them a state they pay taxes. Obama will lose. Hillary might win but even that would be close. It will be 4 years(if he lives that long. Old Age) of a Republican. After 12 year of the elephants we'll get a donk in office. Obama not gonna happen. My dad hasn't voted Republican in 40 years but this year he is voting Republican and I am sure he is not the only one.

Washington D.C. is not a state but yet they pay taxes and have non-voting representation. For more on this matter, view the highly hilarious videos involving Stephen Colbert and Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton, the non-voting Democratic representative from D.C.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/2/2008, 10:30 AM
As a Federal District, D.C. IMO should never have a voting representation. It should be monitored and maintained by the federal gov. Problem is, people have come to live there and expect the same rights as citizens in the country. It was set up as a distinct entity to keep politics out of the disctrict. I think IMO it would be problematic to give DC people representation as this would be a cross purposes for the operation of a Federal district. I blame the Dems on this one, they pandered for votes here...