PDA

View Full Version : Actual letter to the Oklahoman

PhilTLL
5/30/2008, 09:55 AM
This one is a doozy. It showed up yesterday.

Only one God
Regarding "Tulsa rocker breaks ‘American Idol' record” (news story, May 22): Just take me to Bricktown Ballpark and release the hungry lions on me. I refuse to prostrate myself before Carrie Underwood and, now, David Cook because they're being called "gods.” I won't pay homage to them and pray to them or worship and revere them. They are mere humans and not worthy of being worshiped. There's only one God and He abhors Idols and other false gods.

Richard Reames, Oklahoma City

At first I thought "Surely this has to be satirical, there's no chance it isn't, is there?" And the unsettling conclusion was that it's probably legitimate. It's like reading the back pages from the 13th century around here sometimes.

crawfish
5/30/2008, 09:56 AM
Now I'm embarassed for prostrating myself in front of Carrie Underwood. :O

Sooner_Havok
5/30/2008, 09:56 AM

At first I thought "Surely this has to be satirical, there's no chance it isn't, is there?" And the unsettling conclusion was that it's probably legitimate. It's like reading the back pages from the 13th century around here sometimes.

:rolleyes:

Tulsa_Fireman
5/30/2008, 10:08 AM

Is that what they're calling it now? "Prostrating"?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/30/2008, 10:13 AM
I feel embarrassed for my prostate now

Tulsa_Fireman
5/30/2008, 10:16 AM
My mama always said prostrating would make you go blind.

Frozen Sooner
5/30/2008, 11:57 AM

You sure that one wasn't written by the Oklahoman editorial staff?

Not as a fake, but as their actual opinion?

badger
5/30/2008, 12:36 PM
You see guys, this is what happens when you post drunk, then someone adds your real name and sends it to Letters to the Editor.

Now, NO MORE DRUNK POSTING.

:D

mdklatt
5/30/2008, 12:40 PM
At first I thought "Surely this has to be satirical, there's no chance it isn't, is there?" And the unsettling conclusion was that it's probably legitimate.

It seems like sarcasm to me. The real fundies have no idea what American Idol is other than something that will doom the entire country to an eternity of sulfur and brimstone. And they might be right.

olevetonahill
5/30/2008, 12:46 PM
You see guys, this is what happens when you post drunk, then someone adds your real name and sends it to Letters to the Editor.

Now, NO MORE DRUNK POSTING.

:D

Yes Mamm
:O

Tulsa_Fireman
5/30/2008, 12:47 PM
So it's okay for Carrie Underwood to give me that happy feeling in my pants?

NormanPride
5/30/2008, 01:18 PM
As long as you don't prostate.

5/30/2008, 01:21 PM
"Richard Reames"

Heh.

OKC-SLC
5/30/2008, 02:35 PM
Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an Elite Sponsor, I started the Hollis Board, I had a 46,000 spek rating based on real spek not betting over two season and 1500 posts, in the last four weeks I can see this board is a place I don't want to be or patronize. There are two other boards which I believe have at least equivalent football knowledge without the abusive environment. I am taking my business elsewhere.

Richard Reames
President & CEO
GrayBox Services Ltd. &
eState Auction House Ltd.

reevie
5/30/2008, 04:09 PM
I can't believe the editors would actually print that. Unless of course that is the highlight of the letters they have for the day, then sheez.

Sooner_Havok
5/30/2008, 04:12 PM
I can't believe the editors would actually print that. Unless of course that is the highlight of the letters they have for the day, then sheez.

Nah, can't be. My dad sent them a letter saying the only reason he subscribes to their ****ty little rag is so he can get the local news. That being the case he would appreciate it if they could send all the sections of the paper to the house, not just two copies of section A, B, & C :D

badger
5/30/2008, 04:17 PM
Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an subscriber, but in the last four weeks I can see this newspaper is a medium I don't want to read or patronize. There are two other papers which I believe have at least equivalent football knowledge without the abusive Jenni Carlson. I am taking my business elsewhere.

Richard Reames
President & CEO
GrayBox Services Ltd. &
eState Auction House Ltd.

... you know, that post could easily be turned into a letter to the Oklahoman as shown above ;)

reevie
5/30/2008, 04:24 PM
Nah, can't be. My dad sent them a letter saying the only reason he subscribes to their ****ty little rag is so he can get the local news. That being the case he would appreciate it if they could send all the sections of the paper to the house, not just two copies of section A, B, & C :D

I subscribe just to get the Sunday paper for the ads. But now they give the thing to me every day. If anyone wants a free paper, come pick it up from yard I cause I'm not reading them, just leave the Sunday paper for me please.

5/30/2008, 05:15 PM
I subscribed to the Oklahoman for a year up there. I called to tell them I cancelled and got it free another 3 years.

It's actually not a bag rag as far as local rags go. Easier to be picky for stories and sources on the Internet. Not always convenient to take your laptop into the crapper, though.

Frozen Sooner
5/30/2008, 05:33 PM
I subscribed to the Oklahoman for a year up there. I called to tell them I cancelled and got it free another 3 years.

It's actually not a bag rag as far as local rags go. Easier to be picky for stories and sources on the Internet. Not always convenient to take your laptop into the crapper, though.

For a local rag? Sure, not that bad. For the primary newspaper of a major metropolitan area? Terrible.

Comparatively, the Anchorage Daily News, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, and Des Moines Register beat the Daily Oklahoman all to hell and back. I'm not expecting the Oklahoman to compete with the LA Times or the Herald-Trib or anything, but jeez.

mdklatt
5/30/2008, 05:46 PM
For a local rag? Sure, not that bad. For the primary newspaper of a major metropolitan area? Terrible.

Yes, the Oklahoman routinely gets called out by national journalism organizations for being a steaming pile.

Rogue
5/30/2008, 05:49 PM
Is it too late to predict this ending badly?

StoopTroup
5/30/2008, 07:15 PM
Laptop into the crapper.

Phrase of the Day IMO. :D

Frozen Sooner
5/30/2008, 07:48 PM
See, I understand what those words mean, but the sentence doesn't make sense.

I take my laptop in the crapper all the time.

goingoneight
5/30/2008, 10:34 PM
My mama always said prostrating would make you go blind.

You're not supposed to look down at it. Them prostrates iz dangerous.

goingoneight
5/30/2008, 10:39 PM
You guys are totally biting the hand that feeds. I mean, OP.com says that the DOK is an OU media love-fest that's meant for nothing more than circle-jerking about all things OU.

You'd think us "gooners" might like it a bit.

JohnnyMack
5/31/2008, 12:18 AM
I'd give Carrie Underwood the best 30 seconds of her life.

OKC-SLC
5/31/2008, 01:04 AM
I'd give Carrie Underwood the best 30 seconds of her life.

you have incredible stamina.

Scott D
5/31/2008, 12:11 PM
People there is no Richard Reames, it's a name made up by Jeff Archuleta.

NYC Poke
5/31/2008, 01:11 PM
Yes, the Oklahoman routinely gets called out by national journalism organizations for being a steaming pile.

The prestegious Columbia Journalism Review not long ago published an article about the DOK. It was entitled "The Worst Newspaper in America." Heck, while I lived in Norman (and I did), I read the DMN.

r5TPsooner
5/31/2008, 02:11 PM
Is that what they're calling it now? "Prostrating"?

People could call it anything they wanted as long as I was tapping her *** like a keg of Guinness.

badger
5/31/2008, 02:33 PM
The prestegious Columbia Journalism Review not long ago published an article about the DOK. It was entitled "The Worst Newspaper in America." Heck, while I lived in Norman (and I did), I read the DMN.

The DMN stopped their Oklahoma edition. I think the costs were too great for not much return. Also, that paper had trouble with inflated subscription numbers - that makes the advertisers angry.The problems there were such that they offered buyouts to staffers recently. Not sure if the issues were related, but in any event, you won't see DMN's on sale as much in Oklahoma anymore.

The CJR article you refer to was from 1999. That was back when it was still "The Daily Oklahoman," sometimes nicknamed "The Daily Disappointment" by a few people who must have felt very clever (or drunk). I remember a professor who called it something even more ingenious - The Daily Wipe.

I get told all the time by people across the state that they wish they had more options in news around Oklahoma. Perhaps with the growth in the Internet (some small Oklahoma communities offer free Internet and this will likely expand in the future) more media will be offered... and no, blogs don't count... most of the time.

JohnnyMack
5/31/2008, 02:53 PM
We get the Sunday Tulsa World and the Sunday NYT. I hate having the paper around every day, such clutter.

5/31/2008, 04:12 PM
Note: If you ever find yourself in Alaska, don't ask to use Mike's computer to check your email. :D

Chuck Bao
5/31/2008, 07:02 PM
Honestly, I never bought the DOK except to read the sports about OU.

Concerning the letter to the editor, I have to humbly disagree. That David Cook dude has a purty mouth.

5/31/2008, 07:36 PM
Why subscribe when you can pick it up for free a couple of driveways away?

NYC Poke
5/31/2008, 09:54 PM
The CJR article you refer to was from 1999. That was back when it was still "The Daily Oklahoman," sometimes nicknamed "The Daily Disappointment" by a few people who must have felt very clever (or drunk). I remember a professor who called it something even more ingenious - The Daily Wipe.

Yeah, and in fairness, I've read that they've since made reforms, and I haven't even seen a copy since I last live in Oklahoma in the mid-90s (I did read a certain article written by Jenni Carlson ;)). Still, think about how bad a paper must be to inspire someone to publish an article about it in a scholarly review entitled "The Worst Newspaper in America."

I used to appreciate their coverage of high school football, though.

badger
6/1/2008, 12:09 PM
Yeah, and in fairness, I've read that they've since made reforms, and I haven't even seen a copy since I last live in Oklahoma in the mid-90s (I did read a certain article written by Jenni Carlson ;)). Still, think about how bad a paper must be to inspire someone to publish an article about it in a scholarly review entitled "The Worst Newspaper in America."

I used to appreciate their coverage of high school football, though.

Basically, after it was released, it was a very depressing time with staff meetings and such, or so I have heard. I don't think people expected CJR to use their interviews as "The paper you work for is the worst paper in America" material. It's almost like the Jayson Blair case at the New York Times or the Jimmy's World piece at the Washington Post. Afterward, you feel awful about the place you work for and awful that you're associated with it. However, as I said, it was in 1999 and the paper is still the most widely circulated in the state. I don't think there were any longterm adverse effects from that piece.

I think the paper has changed even more now that an E. Gaylord is not in charge anymore, rather than that "Worst paper" article.

tulsaoilerfan
6/1/2008, 05:07 PM

That could be kinda painful

stoopified
6/1/2008, 07:29 PM
I'd give Carrie Underwood the best 30 seconds of her life.So you are saying you would hit that FIVE times? :D