PDA

View Full Version : Heading out to play golf...

Pages : 1 [2]

picasso
2/3/2010, 08:49 AM
Better than a square haircut. Or is that a swell haircut?

OU4LIFE
2/3/2010, 09:04 AM
swell...square...same diff

Mjcpr
2/3/2010, 09:32 AM
ya know, you should sell those pings on Ebay. I've looked on there just to see what the Mickleson effect would be....it's insanity. Ive seen them go anywhere from 200.00 per wedge to well over 500.00.

Dude, might as well cash in on the morons that think they need square grooves for their tour swing.

I got some new clubs last weekend for my tour swing too. :D

Sooner04
2/3/2010, 09:42 AM
i almost predicted this from BMart. it was so easy too, i thought about dropping a diss on Wilson Staffs or Hogan blades....anyway. just for the kicks.
I'm getting predictable in my old age. Nobody would be foolish enough to diss a sweet looking set of Staffs or Apexs. C'mon, that'd be lunacy!

The Eye 2's weren't a bad set at all, I just couldn't hit them. Now the Zings were hideous, but the Eye 2's weren't unpleasing to the eye.

C&CDean
2/3/2010, 10:13 AM
I'm still playing with a set of Adams irons I picked up maybe 10-12 years ago. I hit them very well. Only problem is I can't hit a wood worth a ****, and it doesn't matter how much I spend on them or how much they custom fit them to me. I've tried Callaways, Taylor Mades, Pings, and all manner of knock-offs. Once in a while I can stroke my 3-wood off the tee, but still can't hit a driver or a wood off the ground.

I chip and putt OK, but I'm still a 18-19 handicapper mainly because I suck on the par 5s, and long par 4s. I've always got an approach shot of 200+ yards cause I can't hit my ****ing woods. Golf sucks.

King Crimson
2/3/2010, 10:26 AM
the Zings were indeed hideous. also weirder than weird were the first oversized Ping woods that came out in the late 80's.

problem with the eye 2's for me and a lot of people (minus the offset) what you see as having the toe square at address really is slightly open if you aren't careful. and gets worse as you move 5,6,7,8,9,W....so if you aren't careful you (me) end up hitting a lot of fades when you aren't intending to.

King Crimson
2/3/2010, 10:29 AM
ya know, you should sell those pings on Ebay. I've looked on there just to see what the Mickleson effect would be....it's insanity. Ive seen them go anywhere from 200.00 per wedge to well over 500.00.

Dude, might as well cash in on the morons that think they need square grooves for their tour swing.

it's as you say. i looked a couple years ago what that set of mid 80's eye 2's would be worth...and the whole set (1-LW) was selling for less (half) than just one of the wedges today.

picasso
2/3/2010, 10:41 AM
the Zings were indeed hideous. also weirder than weird were the first oversized Ping woods that came out in the late 80's.

problem with the eye 2's for me and a lot of people (minus the offset) what you see as having the toe square at address really is slightly open if you aren't careful. and gets worse as you move 5,6,7,8,9,W....so if you aren't careful you (me) end up hitting a lot of fades when you aren't intending to.

heh. Mine are slightly open at address and I hit a power draw.

Dean, you need a golf nerd to find your launch angle and stuff. You'll be hitting them high in no time.

OU4LIFE
2/3/2010, 11:55 AM
power draw? you mean uncontrollable hook.

Boomer.....
2/3/2010, 12:18 PM

Quit braggin'!

King Crimson
2/3/2010, 12:30 PM

i usually just save the latter for the #1 wood.

my point more than the fade with mid-irons is inside 125 or so you hit these floating pushes that don't go as far as you want and inevitably end of short-right (often in a bunker)....because you make a good swing but the club face is open at address/contact. you "fan" it. that's my deal. i always (when i was playing) tried to move the ball back in my stance so i had to square up the face a little bit more to make it look right (if that makes any sense)....with the 9 and W's.

i also think that the individual clubs (how's this for a weird theory) with each of the Ping irons has an either open or closed "demeanor". 6 and 8 to me seem to set up far more square than 5, 7 and 9. 4 is closed, 3 is open. i don't know why. kind of alternates.

i also used to kinda freak out when my shadow was over the ball and see my swing in weird shadow angles during the downswing. it was a problem sometimes, kinda headcase type stuff. so, i'm a pretty scientific guy.

Partial Qualifier
2/3/2010, 12:45 PM
Those beryllium-copper Ping eye2's have sortof a strange cult following in their own right.

OU4LIFE
2/3/2010, 01:24 PM
I'm still pining for Scotland.

someday. maybe

I did finally manage Southern Hills a few months ago though, so that was cool. I chopped it up like a proper hack, yes I did...and enjoyed every second of it.

fadada1
2/3/2010, 01:33 PM
ahhh, it's great to see discussions turing to golf. it HAS to be getting close!!!!

King Crimson
2/3/2010, 01:53 PM
I did finally manage Southern Hills a few months ago though, so that was cool. I chopped it up like a proper hack, yes I did...and enjoyed every second of it.

hell yeah.

that's how it is. at 18 i was a legit 3-4 handicap player at the Trails (par 70) when it was much harder than when Jim Trabor ever played it or bragged about on the radio. back in the day was pretty good. it was tight back then. my dad gets us a round at Oak Tree.

i shoot 93 at Oak Tree and i hit a lot of good shots. i loved it. links golf was that way for me (i sucked out loud over there but tried my *** off and played the ball on the ground because i had to and it was great, pure feel). and i came up in the purest target gold era ever. i like a challenge. i think someone who loves the game does too.

OU4LIFE
2/3/2010, 02:24 PM
hell yeah.

that's how it is. at 18 i was a legit 3-4 handicap player at the Trails (par 70) when it was much harder than when Jim Trabor ever played it or bragged about on the radio. back in the day was pretty good. it was tight back then. my dad gets us a round at Oak Tree.

i shoot 93 at Oak Tree and i hit a lot of good shots. i loved it. links golf was that way for me (i sucked out loud over there but tried my *** off and played the ball on the ground because i had to and it was great, pure feel). and i came up in the purest target gold era ever. i like a challenge. i think someone who loves the game does too.

I think that's what i'm most looking forward to, playing it along the ground. There are just so few courses around that allow that as an option. Forced carries, elevated greens, false fronts and soft conditions overall. I SO look forward to a little punchy 5 iron that flies 55 yards and rolls another 110. THAT kind of shot takes creative thinking.

I think maybe that's what you like about it to KC, you have to think and feel your way on those shots.

King Crimson
2/3/2010, 02:42 PM
I think that's what i'm most looking forward to, playing it along the ground. There are just so few courses around that allow that as an option. Forced carries, elevated greens, false fronts and soft conditions overall. I SO look forward to a little punchy 5 iron that flies 55 yards and rolls another 110. THAT kind of shot takes creative thinking.

I think maybe that's what you like about it to KC, you have to think and feel your way on those shots.

i think what you want in golf as a player is to hit the shots you don't practice. and links golf gives you that in spades. because that's kind of why you practice. basketball is not making free throws all the time. it's playing.

my thrilling account of breaking 80 above at the Old Course is missing a triple, btw. i do make a lot of birdies though. i like the way those greens putt.

C&CDean
2/3/2010, 02:54 PM
Oh I don't know. I hit a lot of screaming 5-irons that only fly 55-yards and then roll another hunnert or so.

Seriously, I think I'd do well in Scotland. I can hit my driver maybe 250-260 and never have the ball get above 10-feet or so. I hit all my clubs other than the 9+ lower and farther than most folks do.

OULenexaman
2/3/2010, 03:19 PM
you'd look good in a kilt....

OU4LIFE
2/3/2010, 04:12 PM
Oh I don't know. I hit a lot of screaming 5-irons that only fly 55-yards and then roll another hunnert or so.

Seriously, I think I'd do well in Scotland. I can hit my driver maybe 250-260 and never have the ball get above 10-feet or so. I hit all my clubs other than the 9+ lower and farther than most folks do.

so let's go. You buy, I'll fly.

:D

C&CDean
2/3/2010, 04:43 PM
No doubt about it.

You know, I once hit a drive on that long par 5 at OU on the backside (#14?) back before they remodeled the course and it went all of 400 yards. True story. It was in July, and about 100 degrees or so and hadn't rained in a month or two. I scorched my trademark low liner, and you could follow it by the dust trail it made as it skipped multiple times, and then finally started rolling. It rolled completely out of sight. Good times...

Sooner04
2/3/2010, 04:45 PM
How long was your bogey putt?

C&CDean
2/3/2010, 04:46 PM
so let's go. You buy, I'll fly.

:D

Oh I'm going all right. Don't know if I'll have time to play golf though. Playing over there hasn't ever been one of my goals. I'm really more interested in touring some pubs, and maybe doing the Harry Potter thingy. I will pick you up a "some ******* played at St. Andrews and all I got is this t-shirt" shirt.

C&CDean
2/3/2010, 04:47 PM
How long was your bogey putt?

Heh. That's right, make fun.

about 35 feet...

And that is also a true story. I'm pretty sure I tripled the hole.

picasso
2/3/2010, 06:19 PM

Well yeah but only 4 out of 5 times.

picasso
2/3/2010, 06:21 PM
Those beryllium-copper Ping eye2's have sortof a strange cult following in their own right.

I've got the Anser 2 putter. I shelved it years ago, used up all of the putts in it.
http://www.clubscouter.com/clubs/78176.jpg

sooneron
2/3/2010, 09:23 PM
I played 1 rd in Flahreeda last month with the old 2nd hand set that were retired there. Weird round of golf- last time I was money with the driver (TM burner Ti from about 10 yrs ago), this time I sucked loudly, but I could hit the carp out of the 3-5 irons. The greens were wicked fast (they had that FL fertilizer on them, it seemed like there were no blades of bent) so I left a few shots where I should not have - can't wait for the spring warm up, but skiing is my bag now.

sooneron
2/3/2010, 09:23 PM

sooneron
2/3/2010, 09:56 PM
?

fadada1
2/3/2010, 10:00 PM
just contacted my COBRA rep today - looks like daddy's getting a whole new set again this year. this job is fun. ooohhhhh, i can't wait for warmth!!!!

sooneron
2/3/2010, 10:03 PM
just contacted my COBRA rep today - looks like daddy's getting a whole new set again this year. this job is fun. ooohhhhh, i can't wait for warmth!!!!

I'm still waiting for my invite....

only 1.5 hours away...:cool:

OU4LIFE
2/4/2010, 09:12 AM

uh, share the wealth? Dude.

S9-1 head? maybe a ZL? hook a brother up.

OU4LIFE
2/4/2010, 09:13 AM
Oh I'm going all right. Don't know if I'll have time to play golf though. Playing over there hasn't ever been one of my goals. I'm really more interested in touring some pubs, and maybe doing the Harry Potter thingy. I will pick you up a "some ******* played at St. Andrews and all I got is this t-shirt" shirt.

You moran. It's freaking Scotland, the HOME OF GAWF fer chirssakes....you HAVE to play golf.

36 holes a day and a pub or two each night = the perfect trip.

Srsly, when are you going?

fadada1
2/4/2010, 01:42 PM
I'm still waiting for my invite....

only 1.5 hours away...:cool:

lemme get settled in. i start the new gig on the 17th. give it at least until the 20th.:D

fadada1
2/4/2010, 01:45 PM
uh, share the wealth? Dude.

S9-1 head? maybe a ZL? hook a brother up.

hoping to get the S2 Forged Irons. Need some forgiveness. I still don't think i'm good enough for the MB irons. going to try to get a ZL out of him as well.

i might have an S9-1 D depending on how getting a ZL goes - only hit about 20 times. V2 shaft.

OU-HSV
2/4/2010, 03:37 PM
Ah Southlakes. I played with an old buddy during his final round there years ago. We didn't know it at the time though.

That sounds like a sad deal there?

I was just actually talking to a coworker about going to play Southlakes again as soon as the weather turns.
I finally broke 100 again late last summer, but it wasn't at Southlakes this time. It was at the Woods in Coweta.
The Woods is a course I play fairly often and my most recent rounds there I was shooting right at 101-103 last year...and I was determined to break 100 cause it had been a while since I've done that. So it was a happy day for me.
But I've blown that course up before too for probably 115 or worse even! :O

Anyways, I'm ready for the weather to turn so I can get back out and play some golf.

King Crimson
2/4/2010, 04:46 PM
I don't guess I know that one. I'm not a Hendrix fan. :eek:

PczW76rpTbM

sooneron
2/4/2010, 10:17 PM
lemme get settled in. i start the new gig on the 17th. give it at least until the 20th.:D

done!:cool:

sooneron
2/4/2010, 10:18 PM

done!:cool:

sooneron
2/4/2010, 10:20 PM
WTF is up with the board the last few days?

And this is the year that I close back in on 80! Of course, with the 2nd kid on the way in April, that may be a pipe dream...

Boomer.....
2/5/2010, 04:52 PM

Just scored some new ones today also. :D

Mizuno MX-300's

Mjcpr
2/5/2010, 04:58 PM
Just scored some new ones today also. :D

Mizuno MX-300's

Interesting...I got the 200's.

C&CDean
2/5/2010, 07:09 PM
And this is the year that I close back in on 80! Of course, with the 2nd kid on the way in April, that may be a pipe dream...

Yeah sure. But then you gotta play the back 9.

C&CDean
2/5/2010, 07:13 PM
You moran. It's freaking Scotland, the HOME OF GAWF fer chirssakes....you HAVE to play golf.

36 holes a day and a pub or two each night = the perfect trip.

Srsly, when are you going?

Don't know for sure. I'm trying to hook up a Ireland/England/Scotland deal. Anyways, when I'm over there I may play some golf in Scotland, but not 36 ****ing holes. When you swing the club as hard, and as many times as I do, your back can't hang. I mean with practice swings, etc., that's like 3,600 strokes. I ain't as young as I used to be...

Are you really considering heading over? I could use a yeti to tote the bag and scare off the local paparazzi.

OU-HSV
2/5/2010, 08:42 PM
....Anyways, when I'm over there I may play some golf in Scotland,....

That would be awesome. If you do that we're gonna expect some pics

Tulsa_Fireman
2/5/2010, 09:25 PM
Kinda off track, but Uncle Sam is gonna give me some money back and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a new set myself.

Keep in mind, I'm inconsistent as hell. I don't play or practice enough to consistently lower my score, so every time I go out, I end up throwing down 100+. But in that 100+ (that I've never broken honestly), I'll have a run of 5-6 holes of solid golf, usually in the middle of the round. A couple of pars, maybe an early birdie, but the rest of the scorecard is riddled with snowmen and sometimes near double digit penalty strokes.

Obviously more practice is the true answer. But I also think while clubs aren't the magical answer, I can take advantage of some of the newer technologies to ease at least some of the pain of my inconsistency. I'm in a set of Ping ISTs now, and regardless of what I end up doing, will put a couple of hybrids in the bag for my fairway shots as I can get the 3 and 4 irons down the line, but not nearly as consistently as a few of the hybrids I've demo'ed.

So whatcha think? Am I behind the curve with the ISTs? Putting and short game alone would take a massive chunk off my game, but when you don't see GIRs but for 3-4 holes out of a round, there's obviously a gap in getting there as well.

sooneron
2/5/2010, 11:50 PM
Yeah sure. But then you gotta play the back 9.

Best round - 81

About 10 years ago at Van Cortlandt - the oldest pub in the USofA. Two 600 yarders there...

Shot a 39 on the front- I really thought it was going to happen for me that day.:(

Of course, I was younger and single then...

OU4LIFE
2/9/2010, 12:18 PM
Don't know for sure. I'm trying to hook up a Ireland/England/Scotland deal. Anyways, when I'm over there I may play some golf in Scotland, but not 36 ****ing holes. When you swing the club as hard, and as many times as I do, your back can't hang. I mean with practice swings, etc., that's like 3,600 strokes. I ain't as young as I used to be...

Are you really considering heading over? I could use a yeti to tote the bag and scare off the local paparazzi.

Yes. But my trip is scheduled for 2012, June. I srsly get a chubby just thinking about it.

You foot the trip and I'll carry the bag, provide concise YARDAGES, not meters, and beat the ever loving hell out of anyone you so choose. :D

So whatcha think? Am I behind the curve with the ISTs? Putting and short game alone would take a massive chunk off my game, but when you don't see GIRs but for 3-4 holes out of a round, there's obviously a gap in getting there as well.

No. I honestly think your irons are fine, the tech there is really no different. But if you're still playing that year model woods, then yes...you are WAY behind. The tech in woods and fairway woods is exponentially better than it was even 5 years ago.

Spend the money on some good woods, and a lesson or two, you'll be happier in the end.

C&CDean
2/9/2010, 12:54 PM
Dude, how can you plan a trip 2 or 3 years down the road? I can't plan something 2-3 months down the road.

Seriously, I do things like this spontaneously. I've been that way all my life. The few times I did plan a vacation a year or so in advance, the trip sucked. It was pretty much anti-climatic. I hyped all year, and it was just meh.

I'm just gonna show up at St. Andrews in jeans and an OU sweatshirt and say "can you fit in a single?"

OU4LIFE
2/9/2010, 03:25 PM
Dude, how can you plan a trip 2 or 3 years down the road? I can't plan something 2-3 months down the road.

Seriously, I do things like this spontaneously. I've been that way all my life. The few times I did plan a vacation a year or so in advance, the trip sucked. It was pretty much anti-climatic. I hyped all year, and it was just meh.

I'm just gonna show up at St. Andrews in jeans and an OU sweatshirt and say "can you fit in a single?"

Sure they can, just not on the old course. You can put your name in at the starters hut, but there's no guarantee they will get you in.

If I can't get a few guys to go along too, I guess that's how I will have to handle the old course....just show up and put my name on a list.

When are you going?

OU4LIFE
2/10/2010, 01:47 PM
for the third time, when are you going Dean, don't just talk about it, do it. :D

King Crimson
2/11/2010, 03:06 AM
you need a proof of handicap card to play the Old Course, easily obtained through the OK State Golf Association. and Japanese corporate types who couldn't break 120 at Westwood are playing in the group ahead of you. so it's BS. but, yeah, they do have a lottery system for afternoon tee times. golf in Scotland is far more "populist" than the country club set in the US. a membership at Carnoustie is like 700$ a year--unlimited play. can you imagine? St. Andrews residents buy memberships for like 400$ a year for play on all 4/5 courses.

if i were going to do it again, i'd stay at Crail which is up the road and like the 7th oldest golf course in the world and a bargain by tourism standards.....sturdy links that sells all-day memberships so you play 54 holes a day at Crail waiting to see if you get on TOC. Kingsbarns, which is the newer links that is the 3rd course in the Dunhill links, is all kinds of awesome as well.

at St. Andrews, the New Course is great. the Jubilee Course is meh. if you buy a package tour, you'll probably get to play one of these. i'd also just to say it out loud: skipping Troon is not so bad. i'd rather play Western Gailes twice on the Glasgow side.

Troon is expensive and they make no hidden fact they don't really want you there...but are happy to take your money at the same time. everyone wants to play the Postage Stamp but i hit a push in the right bunker and made double. hooray. they also make you pay to play the other Troon course which is nothing special. i think the money is spent better playing Western Gailes a second time or Prestwick (totally cool).

JMO.

King Crimson
2/11/2010, 03:24 AM
Kingsbarns, still a bargain. you can play KB twice for what it costs to play Troon.

http://www.golfnook.com/images/KingsbarnsPro6wide.jpg

http://www.golfnook.com/images/KingsbarnsPro6.jpg

King Crimson
2/11/2010, 03:30 AM
Western Gailes: note the size of the little people on the tee box.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3026/2661485653_266903ed5f.jpg?v=0

i get it up and down from the middle of the hill left side of the green. just stupid to even get it on the putting surface. downhill flop/chop shot, make a 15 footer. totally lucky, could have easily made 7 (par 3). though i did make a lot of 7's. LOL. Western Gailes is awesome. shot about 95 in a complete downpour and hit a lot of good shots. it was awesome and heroic. WG used as a local qualifier for the Open Championship most years.

http://www.scotlandgolflinks.com/fx/westerngailes.jpg

OU4LIFE
2/11/2010, 09:30 AM
I'm gonna need a moment.

OU4LIFE
2/11/2010, 09:37 AM
KC, I really need to get with you next fall and have this conversation. I was hoping to play Troon, only because on first sight you feel like it's one of those that you have to play. Sounds like that's not the case.

I was really thinking I'd like to hit the 9 holer at Musselburgh, since it is the oldest course in the world, and Muirfield is right there too. I've always heard that the Old Course isn't all that great as far as golf courses go....but it's the Old Course. Carnoustie would be cool too.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know...i'm just now starting to put together my golfing book for the trip...the more info the better.

C&CDean
2/11/2010, 10:13 AM
What difference does it make when I go over there? You're going in 2012, you're putting together a "golfing book" (whatever the F that is), and you plan to spend all your waking hours hacking up and destroying about 200 golfballs and a large section God's greenest earth.

Me? I won't be carrying clubs over there. I'll play with rentals, have a good time, and then spend most of my time checking out the rest of the island.

All that being said, if I'm over there in 2012, I'd be happy to hook up for a round of golf and a few drinks. So long as they ain't those fuzzy pink faggoty things you were drinking in Vegas...

King Crimson
2/11/2010, 10:15 AM
KC, I really need to get with you next fall and have this conversation. I was hoping to play Troon, only because on first sight you feel like it's one of those that you have to play. Sounds like that's not the case.

I was really thinking I'd like to hit the 9 holer at Musselburgh, since it is the oldest course in the world, and Muirfield is right there too. I've always heard that the Old Course isn't all that great as far as golf courses go....but it's the Old Course. Carnoustie would be cool too.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know...i'm just now starting to put together my golfing book for the trip...the more info the better.

you gotta play the old course. i don't think the Open Championship needs to be played there so much in the rota as much but St. Andrews lives up to the hype (unlike most everything else in the world). like i've posted in this thread, just teeing off in front of the R&A and hitting your approach into 18 over the valley of sin....is for real.

Carnoustie is both hard and a bargain. not to be missed. when i go back, we stay a couple days and play the Nasty a couple times at least. i have a whole secondary trip info thing somewhere, playing Brora and Royal Aberdeen and some other off the beaten track courses. a buddy and i were going to go...but i got stuck into teaching a summer class and it didn't happen but i have the notes somewhere. just let me know, i'll into it.

Troon has history and is snobby as hell....but, and my dad says the same thing, it's OK. like i say, i'd rather play Kingsbarns or Western Gailes twice than pay the same to play Troon again.

and Ireland: Portrush, Ballybunion, and County Down would be on my next trip.

all that having been said, i say pay the money to play now resort course Turnberry. Turnberry is a lot of fun.

OU4LIFE
2/11/2010, 12:33 PM
What difference does it make when I go over there? You're going in 2012, you're putting together a "golfing book" (whatever the F that is), and you plan to spend all your waking hours hacking up and destroying about 200 golfballs and a large section God's greenest earth.

Me? I won't be carrying clubs over there. I'll play with rentals, have a good time, and then spend most of my time checking out the rest of the island.

All that being said, if I'm over there in 2012, I'd be happy to hook up for a round of golf and a few drinks. So long as they ain't those fuzzy pink faggoty things you were drinking in Vegas...

I plan on taking 4 golf balls.

I don't plan on needing that many.

the chicks dig a man that's secure enough to have a frilly drink.

C&CDean
2/11/2010, 01:34 PM
pfffft. You'll lose at least two of those balls when you pull them outta your bag from shaking so bad. I bet that first tee - anywhere over there - has gotta put a lump in your gut.

fadada1
2/11/2010, 01:54 PM
count me in whenever you clowns plan on going.

i keep telling my wife we should go to scotland. i only ask for about 5 hours on the whole trip - golf the old course and a post-game scotch with playing partners.

sooneron
2/12/2010, 07:43 AM
In AND I want Muirfield!