PDA

View Full Version : SEC coaches hoping for early signing day in late November

JLEW1818
5/29/2008, 09:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3416345

what ya'll think about this?

snp
5/29/2008, 10:09 PM
10000% in favor of. Recruiting is happening earlier than ever nowadays. Allow the same rules for players opting out of their commitment if the school gets sanctioned or the coach leaves.

The three coaches who voted against the early signing day were Arkansas' Bobby Petrino, Florida's Urban Meyer and South Carolina's Steve Spurrier.

"I think recruiting should be done in December, January and February," Meyer said. "I think it speeds up 17- and 18-year-olds to make a decision that affects the rest of their lives. To squeeze them, to press them, to say you've got to get it done now and I just don't believe in that.

Translation, I need more time to lie, cheat and steal.

JLEW1818
5/29/2008, 10:28 PM
Exactly

AllAboutThe'O'
5/29/2008, 10:46 PM
I hate Urban Meyer with the power of a million sledgehammers, but for once I agree with him; he hit the nail right on the head with his statements.

snp
5/30/2008, 12:06 AM
I hate Urban Meyer with the power of a million sledgehammers, but for once I agree with him; he hit the nail right on the head with his statements.

No body is forcing them to rush their commitment. If you want to draw out the recruiting process until Feburary or are unsure of where they want to go, then wait 3 more months. Lots of players get fed up with coaches harassing them when they've been committed for months and would like to get it over with.

NormanPride
5/30/2008, 01:08 PM
Yeah, there's no reason not to do this. It takes away some of the incentive to try and steal recruits, lets them concentrate on school and HS ball, and lets coaches spend their time more effectively.

badger
5/30/2008, 01:32 PM
So... if SEC has it and everyone else doesn't... doesn't that mean that SEC teams will have players locked up before all other conferences?

If so, :mad:

In this day and age of recruiting, players lead coaches on just as much as coaches lead players on. Therefore, there is already a limited window of accepting scholarships for many players. Coaches will say "We will hold your scholarship offer for one week. If you don't commit in one week, we are retracting our offer."

So, let's say there is an earlier time to commit. How many players will be pressured into signing in the early period, under the threat of withdrawn scholarship offers, and possibly miss out on scholarships to some of their preferred schools? Does this give the unfair advantage to coaches in the SEC?

snp
5/30/2008, 02:10 PM
The coaches passed a vote in favor of this idea, not the actual implementation of it. All schools play by the same recruiting rules. Well, not always but you know what I mean.

Coaches already set deadlines to commit. Once again, if you don't want to commit, you don't have to. I think most coaches will understand if a player needs a few more weeks to think things through rather than get a player who wants to transfer as soon as he arrives on campus.

I like the stipulation that if you take an official visit, you must wait until Feburary to commit. But if you take an UV, then you can commit at the November deadline.

Cam
5/30/2008, 03:31 PM
Forget November, have it in July or August. That will cut down on the in-season disruption.

If a kid knows where he wants to go, let him sign and enjoy is Sr season/year without the distraction. If a kid wants to wait, then he can wait until February.

badger
5/30/2008, 05:02 PM
Um, if it hasn't already been mentioned, the SEC athletic directors voted it down. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3419057)

JLEW1818
5/30/2008, 05:04 PM
Forget November, have it in July or August. That will cut down on the in-season disruption.

If a kid knows where he wants to go, let him sign and enjoy is Sr season/year without the distraction. If a kid wants to wait, then he can wait until February.

right on