PDA

View Full Version : "SONICWATCH," official thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Big Red Ron
7/2/2008, 06:33 PM
75 mill seemes like a lot to play here next year.

Collier11
7/2/2008, 06:35 PM
Not a law expert but I would guess that it is over a long period of time and can be reduced if the NBA goes back to Seattle. Im sure Stern said you lost the trial and if you ever want a team again, settle this now

birddog
7/2/2008, 06:42 PM
i still don't see how schultz could build a java empire but not have the business sense to see what was coming when he sold the team.

****off dip****.

BigRedJed
7/2/2008, 06:46 PM
He should have seen what was coming, considering at the time of the sale, he smilingly shared a news conference with the new owner who said, IN SAID NEWS CONFERENCE, "get something going on a new building or we're moving."

BigRedJed
7/2/2008, 07:13 PM
Well, I had bad info on the Schultz suit. Still kicking. But they definitely don't think much of it, obviously.

RedStripe
7/2/2008, 07:28 PM
We did it our way babyyyyy!!!!

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/michael_silver/03/29/bring.weekend/t1_switzer.jpg

illinisooner
7/2/2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.nba.com/sonics/#/news/archive/article_faq080702

They're coming to OKC in the fall; new colors and name.

BigRedJed
7/2/2008, 07:32 PM
888-618-HOOP to get on the list for ticket contact.

GrapevineSooner
7/2/2008, 08:16 PM
For any lifelong Sonics fans, I feel bad for you.

But don't direct your blame at Clay Bennett. Direct it towards your idiotic city leaders that couldn't see the forest through the trees, never really worked with the Sonics to secure funding for a new arena, and when the writing was on the wall, tried a last ditch scorched Earth policy that failed miserably to the point that they accepted a buyout that doesn't even guarantee that they'll get another team.

reevie
7/2/2008, 09:17 PM
Here's David Stern's press release

NEW YORK, July 2, 2008 -- NBA Commissioner David Stern has issued the following statement:
“We are pleased that the Sonics and the City of Seattle have settled their litigation. While the decision has been made to relocate the Sonics to Oklahoma City, the NBA continues to regard Seattle as a first-class NBA city that is capable of serving as home for another NBA team.

In order for this to occur, a state-of-the-art NBA arena must be funded and constructed in the Seattle area, a subject that has been extensively debated -- but not ultimately acted upon -- by local political and business leaders over the past four years. We are pleased that the City remains committed to addressing this fundamental requirement for the return of NBA basketball to Seattle and we hope that other elected officials critical to a solution will support the City’s efforts.

We understand that City, County, and State officials are currently discussing a plan to substantially re-build KeyArena for the sum of $300 million. If this funding were authorized, we believe KeyArena could properly be renovated into a facility that meets NBA standards relating to revenue generation, fan amenities, team facilities, and the like.

Assuming the funding can be committed, the league is willing to work with the City on the design and construction of the re-build to facilitate this result. Under these circumstances, if an opportunity arose in the future for an NBA team to be located in Seattle, we would support that team playing its home games in a re-built KeyArena, if it wished.

However, given the lead times associated with any franchise acquisition or relocation and with a construction project as complex as a KeyArena renovation, authorization of the public funding needs to occur by the end of 2009 in order for there to be any chance for the NBA to return to Seattle within the next five years.

We are pleased that Steve Ballmer has expressed the continuing willingness of his group, Seattle Center Investors, managed by Seattle developer Matt Griffin, to be a part of the solution for returning NBA basketball to Seattle. The NBA will keep SCI and the City informed if opportunities arise in the next five years for franchise sale, relocation and/or expansion. Under the circumstances outlined above, the NBA would be happy to return to the City of Seattle.”

Scott D
7/2/2008, 10:36 PM
translation.

Join this century Seattle, and we'll consider giving you an expansion franchise in the future. Continue down your current path and you won't get a damn thing from the NBA.

soonerboy
7/6/2008, 07:51 PM
I remember OKC competing with several other cities when the Hornets needed a TEMPORARY home. Shin begged to stay? I remember him saying he hoped OKC would understand that he believed the right thing to do was return to NO.
Regardless, I still say 5 years from now OKC will not be filling any more seats that Seattle did. Let's wait and see.
Tulsa should get their crap together? Apparently you haven't seen the BOK center. It makes the Ford center look like a high school gym.

thats what the 95 mils for son

soonerboy
7/6/2008, 07:56 PM
by the way who else thinks its funny that the seattle people keep calling us hillbillies and rednecks and idiots etc... but they don't realize that we've been called that forever..... news flash seattle NOT FUNNY!!!! I SLAP U

Ton Loc
7/7/2008, 12:47 PM
This is a couple of weeks old.

Apparently KD had a camera crew following him while he was in NYC for some Nike/Jordan commitment. He was there at the same time as the Board was making a decision on the relocation. Someone asked him about the relocation meeting and he said "That fat MF'er" then declined to comment further.

I don't know if it is true or not, but I hope that this isn't how all the players feel.

Here is the link to the forum I found it on.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=787876

Here is the link to the radio show on which it was discussed. About 16 minutes in or last 3 minutes.

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/SEATTLE-WA/KJR-AM/Elise_2008-05-07_Frank%20Hughes.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=SEATTLE-WA&NG_FORMAT=sports&SITE_ID=645&STATION_ID=KJR-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=Elise_Woodward&PCAST_CAT=Entertainment&PCAST_TITLE=Elise_Woodward