PDA

View Full Version : BCS system leaves long trail of wounded victims

JLEW1818
5/28/2008, 04:07 PM
Really cool.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3403882

BoulderSooner79
5/28/2008, 06:53 PM
When only 2 get picked #3 is going to howl. It is still much better than the old days when the best conference teams were almost guaranteed *not* to play each other. Until the BCS, Miami, FSU, Notre Dame and Penn State had a huge advantage because they were independents w/ no conference ties to bowls. Only ND remains independent now.

SoonerinSouthlake
5/28/2008, 08:26 PM
I think most people, becuase of those 10 examples, forget how crappy it was that 1 rarely got to play 2. This isnt that bad. IF they ever gave us a playoff system people would find a way to complain that it was a huge mess

JLEW1818
5/29/2008, 03:54 AM
Shoot, a plus 1 system is all we are asking for as of now. You know??? think about if they had a plus 1 system for the last 10 years. THERE WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY ZERO DEBATE.

yermom
5/29/2008, 04:25 AM
except for #5 who had 1 loss like 2-3 of the top 4, etc...

RedstickSooner
5/29/2008, 07:12 AM
Ironically, making lists like this is WHY we won't get the Plus-Two system.

When all those conference heads (and Neuter Lame) met, they talked about precisely this -- the fact that whatever system you have, it causes the folks on the bubble to bitch and argue for expansion.

If fans and pundits spent less time talking about all the great teams that got the shaft (even if all that happened was that the system played out by the rules every team was governed by before the season even began) and instead talked about how it'd be a positive improvement to add a plus-two... Maybe, someday, somehow, we might get a plus-two.

Or, we could just complain to hear ourselves complain. Our complaints do not, however, fall on deaf ears -- they fall on ears that are convinced offering a plus-two is the first step towards a sixteen team playoff, and they absolutely, positively will *not* allow that to happen.

Eielson
5/29/2008, 07:45 AM
This is a ridiculous article. You could cut down any system.

1. All three teams had 1 loss so it isn't like any of them had to be playing for a national championship. The AP voters picked USC as #1 but I'm not convinced that most of the nation didn't believe OU was the better team. That still might have been right, it just doesn't look like it because a year later they kicked our butts. I thought LSU was the better team than USC. Just because AP voters loved USC doesn't mean the rest of the world did.

2. Auburn got left out but there was no suspense when the last poll came out. Everybody knew it was OU/USC and rightfully so. We weren't that much worse, but if OU couldn't beat them there was no way that Auburn could have. Auburn was about the least intimidating undefeated team from a big conference ever.

3. Oregon was lucky to not have to play Miami. Miami would have crushed anybody in that game. Nobody expected Miami to lose.

4. Doesn't matter. We were the best team and we won. Sounds like the BCS did a perfect job there.

5. Texas did go on to win their BCS game and Cal went on to lose in the Holiday Bowl. Great job BCS?

6. We didn't get an awful rematch with a Michigan team that was obviously outmatched by Ohio State. Then the whole world got to truly see that the Big 10 wasn't very good and that Florida was the best team. Is this article saying why the BCS is bad or why it's good?

7. Anybody that thought that USC deserved a championship is out of their minds. WVU might have, but if they had played OU at any other point in the season I'm not sure they would have won. It wouldn't have been by much if they did.

8. Yeah, it was dumb. One of the few real problems but Kansas did end up winning their BCS Bowl. Missouri didn't really get screwed too bad in the end. They ended up getting to kick the crap out of Arkansas just after Arkansas beat the National Champs. They weren't playing for a championship and everybody knew how good they were in the end.

9. They went on to lose. You can't complain when you lose in the Alamo Bowl.

10. Load of crap. They shouldn't have even beaten Oklahoma and we weren't even that great that year...by OU standards at least. Nobody complained about them not being in the championship game. If you're a non-BCS team you have to play great teams in the non conference and they didn't. It's understandable why they wouldn't do that, they probably wouldn't win. They probably shouldn't play in a championship game.

cheezyq
5/29/2008, 08:11 AM
Wow, can't believe that this was uttered by ESPN media about our 2000 championship...:rolleyes:

But Oklahoma whipped the Seminoles 13-2 to render the debate mostly moot.

Mostly? ESPN can kiss my ***.

soonerfan28
5/29/2008, 08:19 AM
Shoot, a plus 1 system is all we are asking for as of now. You know??? think about if they had a plus 1 system for the last 10 years. THERE WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY ZERO DEBATE.

That may happen if JerryDome can get the plus1 there or rotated there. I personally would like to see a playoff. A few years ago in one of the recruiting magazines I saw I think it was a 32-team playoff system that would work, but I think it's to many teams. As long as fans pay to see the games the system won't change much and I'm not giving up college football, so I'll just keep crying about no playoff.