PDA

View Full Version : What Band is the Median Rock Band?

royalfan5
5/28/2008, 12:32 PM
My vote is for Everclear. I think that exactly half of the bands ever were better, and half of all future bands will be better, and the other half are/will be worse. Do you agree or disagre.

yermom
5/28/2008, 12:35 PM
i'm willing to accept that

King Crimson
5/28/2008, 12:46 PM
not a huge fan, but i might put them at least a little on the "+" side.

soonermix
5/28/2008, 12:54 PM
creed or staind

Sooner_Havok
5/28/2008, 12:55 PM
creed or staind

Setting the bar awfully low aren't we?

soonermix
5/28/2008, 01:04 PM
Setting the bar awfully low aren't we?

oh come on you can't say that the first thousand times you heard that staind song you didn't love it

dolemitesooner
5/28/2008, 01:05 PM
Nickel back

soonerinabilene
5/28/2008, 01:10 PM
Nickel back

This thread is not about the most overrated, overplayed, most annoying "rock" band of the last 5 years. Learn how to read.;)

yermom
5/28/2008, 01:13 PM
Radiohead would be another good choice

King Crimson
5/28/2008, 01:17 PM
taking a more historical view i might choose BTO, America or Mountain. All of which have done enough to earn some radio play long past their prime and indeed have some high points (criteria is they have to be better than half the bands out there....) but i'm not sure if they've got enough top material to fill up both sides of a greatest hits LP with legit songs or "hits".

Sooner_Havok
5/28/2008, 01:22 PM
oh come on you can't say that the first thousand times you heard that staind song you didn't love it

I have a rule that works out pretty well for me. If the band dropped their first record after 1992, I assume they suck until proven otherwise. Creed and Staind never proved to me that they didn't suck. :cool:

SoonerInKCMO
5/28/2008, 01:44 PM
Change 1992 to whatever year Nirvana had their first album come out and I'd use the same rule.

sooneron
5/28/2008, 01:52 PM
creed or staind

WTF???

Yay! Poseur Jesus rawk or whiner rawk. No thanks.

Sooner_Havok
5/28/2008, 01:53 PM
Change 1992 to whatever year Nirvana had their first album come out and I'd use the same rule.

I use 1992 cause I am OGT!:cool: :rolleyes: :D

colleyvillesooner
5/28/2008, 01:55 PM
My vote is for Everclear. I think that exactly half of the bands ever were better, and half of all future bands will be better, and the other half are/will be worse. Do you agree or disagre.

Only if you count "World of Noise", "Sparkle and Fade" and "So Much For the Afterglow."

Their most recent crap is done by one original member and 3-4 other dude.

sooneron
5/28/2008, 01:57 PM
Only if you count "World of Noise", "Sparkle and Fade" and "So Much For the Afterglow."

Yeah, they kinda lost me after Afterglow.

BillyBall
5/28/2008, 02:05 PM

Wow...

royalfan5
5/28/2008, 02:06 PM

Of course, I'm pretty much counting those albums. The theory that Everclear was the median rock band, grew out of the theory that Craig Montoya (the original Everclear bassist) was the median member of all rock bands ever.

BillyBall
5/28/2008, 02:07 PM
My vote is for Coldplay

colleyvillesooner
5/28/2008, 02:18 PM
Of course, I'm pretty much counting those albums. The theory that Everclear was the median rock band, grew out of the theory that Craig Montoya (the original Everclear bassist) was the median member of all rock bands ever.

I agree completely with both these statements then. :D

frankensooner
5/28/2008, 02:20 PM
Herman's Hermits

dolemitesooner
5/28/2008, 02:23 PM
Radiohead would be another good choiceYour a ****ing morn too

ousoonerfan
5/28/2008, 02:26 PM
Boston?
Molly Hatchet?
Kansas?
38 Special?

yermom
5/28/2008, 02:46 PM
My vote is for Coldplay

another great choice

dolemitesooner
5/28/2008, 02:50 PM
another great choiceYour not allowed to vote:mad:

dolemitesooner
5/28/2008, 02:51 PM
I think pearl jam and Guns and roses fit in well

Frozen Sooner
5/28/2008, 02:53 PM
I'd actually buy Creed as the median band of all time. This isn't to say that they're listenable, simply that they're better than half of all bands.

There's a LOT of crappy rock bands out there that you'll never hear released on small or self-financed labels.

yermom
5/28/2008, 03:04 PM
I think pearl jam and Guns and roses fit in well

that's just crazy talk

well, unless you are talking Buckethead GnR

late 80's-early 90's GnR has to be in the top 10%

the sad thing is that now the median is Everclear, but in a few years it's going to be Hinder

Harry Beanbag
5/28/2008, 03:06 PM
The mention of Pearl Jam in this discussion is blasphemy.

I would like to nominate the Bee Gees. :)

dolemitesooner
5/28/2008, 03:16 PM
that's just crazy talk

well, unless you are talking Buckethead GnR

late 80's-early 90's GnR has to be in the top 10%

the sad thing is that now the median is Everclear, but in a few years it's going to be Hinder
GnR is so ****ing average its not even funny

yermom
5/28/2008, 03:17 PM
shouldn't you be listening to Akon or Usher or something?

Sooner_Havok
5/28/2008, 03:20 PM
GnR is so ****ing average its not even funny

They are on a higher plateau than cold play and radio head in my view. I can at least listen to some GnR every now and then. I know Cold Play and Radio Head have cult followings now, but I say in 10-15 years they will be seen as nothing more than a fad. Maybe it is just me, but I just don't understand the appeal of their music. Must be a generational thing:confused:

yermom
5/28/2008, 03:49 PM
Radiohead, a 15 year fad ;)

Sooner_Havok
5/28/2008, 03:50 PM
Radiohead, a 15 year fad ;)

Man, has it really been that long? Damn I feel old now:(

Sooner_Havok
5/28/2008, 03:53 PM
I still don't get their appeal though. But I can agree that it is a matter of tastes. How many Radiohead fans would you expect to see at a Motörhead concert?

tommieharris91
5/28/2008, 04:00 PM
Boston?
Molly Hatchet?
Kansas?
38 Special?

All are in the upper 50th percentile.

yermom
5/28/2008, 04:02 PM
I still don't get their appeal though. But I can agree that it is a matter of tastes. How many Radiohead fans would you expect to see at a Motörhead concert?

some of their crap is a little out there

i really like The Bends though

BillyBall
5/28/2008, 04:04 PM
Having Radiohead mentioned in this thread is disappointing to say the least...

soonervegas
5/28/2008, 04:06 PM
The people that have posted Creed are right. I think they define Median.

Harry Beanbag
5/28/2008, 04:13 PM
No. Creed flat out sucks. Nickelback is the reincarnation of Creed and they suck just as hard.

tbl
5/28/2008, 04:15 PM
OK Computer and The Bends are in the top albums of all time (especially OKPC).

Boston, Everclear, 38 Special, Coldplay, and Kansas are all solid. Maybe add the Doobie Brothers in there too.

r5TPsooner
5/28/2008, 04:21 PM
U2 but I think they're overrated as hell and all of there **** sounds the same to me.

yermom
5/28/2008, 04:22 PM
this thread makes me giggle

sooneron
5/28/2008, 04:34 PM
They are on a higher plateau than cold play and radio head in my view. I can at least listen to some GnR every now and then. I know Cold Play and Radio Head have cult followings now, but I say in 10-15 years they will be seen as nothing more than a fad. Maybe it is just me, but I just don't understand the appeal of their music. Must be a generational thing:confused:

Heh, the band you're backing is the "fad" band. A few albums and done.

yermom
5/28/2008, 04:37 PM
i don't think i'd call GnR a fad, i mean if Axl wasn't an ***, they'd still be huge

i think Appetite will continue to be a great album for a long time

sooneron
5/28/2008, 05:08 PM
i don't think i'd call GnR a fad, i mean if Axl wasn't an ***, they'd still be huge

i think Appetite will continue to be a great album for a long time

That was a great album, they made some very good music, no doubt, but their longevity was weak. I don't care what kind of *** bottle axl was. I think a lot of his hijinx was out of being a pure chicken****. He saw the writing on the wall as the Nirvana/alt/grunge scene was taking over. Thus, turned himself into a circus act to grab attention.

silverwheels
5/28/2008, 05:11 PM

Yes.

Sooner_Havok
5/28/2008, 05:12 PM
First I am not backing GnR, just saying their music appeals to me more. Second, to be fair Radiohead only has two more albums than GnR.

sooneron
5/28/2008, 08:35 PM
Second, to be fair Radiohead only has two more albums than GnR.

:confused:

Are you counting Lies (pretty much an ep) as an album?

KC//CRIMSON
5/28/2008, 08:47 PM
Having Radiohead mentioned in this thread is disappointing and idiotic to say the least...

yep, pretty much.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/28/2008, 09:57 PM
Pretty strong opinions on Radiohead. I'll be open-minded and try to give them a listen again.

But for my experience, originally heard "Creep" (or whatever it's titled) on ye ol' FM and thought, "Wow, awesome sound, want to hear more."

Borrowed buddy's copy of The Bends, and after listening thought, "Wow, he wasted money on this steaming pile of crap."

Just because you have nihilistic lyrics about everything, have a drugged out Grateful Dead-Phish leftovers following, and make every album an experiment, doesn't necessarily mean you're any good, does it?

I wouldn't even put them in the middle. They'd be in my minus (-) column.

But then again, I probably just don't "get it".

KC//CRIMSON
5/28/2008, 10:09 PM
Radiohead is sort of like the movie Blade Runner. So cool and far from the mainstream. Either you love it or you don't.

And The Bends and OK Computer are two of the best albums ever made. IMO.

VeeJay
5/28/2008, 10:09 PM
What? 51 posts and no submission from bri for The Cure?????

It's Sanjaya, hands down.

mdklatt
5/28/2008, 10:36 PM
now the median is Everclear, but in a few years it's going to be Hinder

It's sad because it's true. :( And how pathetic is it that in the trailer trash rock genre, the band from Oklahoma loses out to one from Canada? I realize that choosing between Nickelback and Hinder is like playing would you rather? with Linda Tripp and Janet Reno as choices, but somebody has to lose.

BTW, all you Staind haters can suck it. :mad:

mdklatt
5/28/2008, 10:40 PM
My vote is for Jefferson Starship (not Jefferson Airplane).

silverwheels
5/29/2008, 01:53 AM
Yeah, okay, Radiohead doesn't belong in the big group of average bands that could possibly be called "the median rock band", but they're not in the upper echelon, either. I just think they're really overrated.

yermom
5/29/2008, 04:20 AM
i'll be honest, i mentioned Radiohead to **** people off, Rush would have been another good choice for that :D

yermom
5/29/2008, 04:23 AM
Pretty strong opinions on Radiohead. I'll be open-minded and try to give them a listen again.

But for my experience, originally heard "Creep" (or whatever it's titled) on ye ol' FM and thought, "Wow, awesome sound, want to hear more."

Borrowed buddy's copy of The Bends, and after listening thought, "Wow, he wasted money on this steaming pile of crap."

Just because you have nihilistic lyrics about everything, have a drugged out Grateful Dead-Phish leftovers following, and make every album an experiment, doesn't necessarily mean you're any good, does it?

I wouldn't even put them in the middle. They'd be in my minus (-) column.

But then again, I probably just don't "get it".

if you knew anything about the band you'd understand how funny this is

King Crimson
5/29/2008, 08:22 AM
i don't get the grateful dead/phish comparison re: RH....that's not true IMO....in terms of fans or lyrics or, especially, i'd say in terms of either's approach to technology which i'd say is quite radically different in terms of song content, lyric, and instrumentation. the latter, to me, seems to be of crucial importance to RH (OK Computer, Kid A are sort of dystopic in some ways, but more than merely ambivalent in others "an airbag saved my life")...either way it's clearly "a part" of what they do and "have to say" and "how they say it". seems to me the phish/GD crowd at least before cellies and IM were sort of a straight up luddite crew.

I'll give you that "alienation" (Fitter, Happier; No Alarms and No Surprises) is a theme for RH but that's not technically nihilism but more a social critique with regard the individual while the GD/Phish crowd tends towards a kind of Romanticism or nostalgic collectivist naturalism dressed up in the symbolic regalia of the 60's.

JMO.

Fugue
5/29/2008, 08:44 AM
Prince

colleyvillesooner
5/29/2008, 09:00 AM
if you knew anything about the band you'd understand how funny this is

why?

SoonerInKCMO
5/29/2008, 09:24 AM
It's sad because it's true. :( And how pathetic is it that in the trailer trash rock genre, the band from Oklahoma loses out to one from Canada? I realize that choosing between Nickelback and Hinder is like playing would you rather? with Linda Tripp and Janet Reno as choices, but somebody has to lose.

BTW, all you Staind haters can suck it. :mad:

That's easy - Linda Tripp. Janet Reno has a penis.

sooneron
5/29/2008, 09:30 AM
Anyone bagging on RH should pick up a guitar and try to play a few of their songs CHORDS ONLY. It aint easy. Their musicianship is hella good & they're a very good band. Anyone jumping on the side of yermom's sarcastic post ... well ... I got nuthin'.
You can cover your ears all you like and say "Meh meh meh, I don't like Radiohead!!!" a hundred times, but if you use that thinking as your way of saying that they're average or overrated, then you don't really get music. I didn't care for Floyd for a long time- to me they were stoner music. But I still respected what they did as groundbreaking and pushing it. THAT almost alone puts them over the top, imo.

And the whole comparison of their fanbase to deadheads or phish fans is ****ing retarded. They have fans that cover all types and groups of peeps.
And yes, you probably would see some RH fans at a Motorhead show.

sooneron
5/29/2008, 09:39 AM
I would also say that STP is a borderline median band. You can guess which side of the border or apply it to yourself.

yermom
5/29/2008, 09:43 AM
why?

they HATE Creep, and how successful it was and how much pressure it out them under. apparently they didn't really like it much in the first place, it just kinda took off with a life all its own

they have tried to distance themselves from that song completely

mdklatt
5/29/2008, 09:52 AM
That's easy - Linda Tripp. Janet Reno has a penis.

Hinder = Janet Reno

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/29/2008, 10:30 AM
Of course, I'm pretty much counting those albums. The theory that Everclear was the median rock band, grew out of the theory that Craig Montoya (the original Everclear bassist) was the median member of all rock bands ever.Well, duh!

Sooner_Havok
5/29/2008, 12:26 PM
Anyone bagging on RH should pick up a guitar and try to play a few of their songs CHORDS ONLY. It aint easy. Their musicianship is hella good & they're a very good band. Anyone jumping on the side of yermom's sarcastic post ... well ... I got nuthin'.
You can cover your ears all you like and say "Meh meh meh, I don't like Radiohead!!!" a hundred times, but if you use that thinking as your way of saying that they're average or overrated, then you don't really get music. I didn't care for Floyd for a long time- to me they were stoner music. But I still respected what they did as groundbreaking and pushing it. THAT almost alone puts them over the top, imo.

And the whole comparison of their fanbase to deadheads or phish fans is ****ing retarded. They have fans that cover all types and groups of peeps.
And yes, you probably would see some RH fans at a Motorhead show.

Like I said, it is pretty much arbitrary since tastes in music vary so much. I don't personally like RH. I don't question their musicianship, I just don't care for the style of music they turn out. When saying who is the median rock band you could look at it as who has the most middle of the road skills, or who has the most middle of the road music style to you.

To me RH is almost a perfect median band. I don't care for their music, but I don't go berserk and change the station immediately if they come on (ala Creed). They are at my personal threshold of musical acceptance. I am sure there are a few RH fans that could appreciate Motorhead, but I bet you could count them on both hands at a given RH concert.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/29/2008, 12:48 PM
Dang ron, I said I'd give them another listen. No need to go freaking gonzo. Sorry, but my first run through The Bends IMO I thought they were completely craptacular. And BTW, I "get" music and how difficult it is to play an instrument...blah freaking blah. But I always thought the wonderful thing about music was that it leaves different impressions on different people, even if they are listening to the same song at the same time. I'd just rather spend my entertainment dollar on something somewhat more uplifting, even from a melodic standpoint, independent of their lyrics. To me their whole sound is a complete drag.

And I stand by that Phish/Deadheads leftovers... you know... they're a big "festival" band that has a large group of fans that have nothing better to do with their lives than follow them around show to show. True, they might not be the tree-hugging-acid-dropping set of Phish and the Dead, but that follow-the-band-around-like-stray-puppies-looking-for-a-home behavior makes them equally pathetic. And with that group I'm pretty sure there is plenty of stonage going on, if not even harder stuff. And yes I realize that's not all Radiohead fans; and yeah, I'm sure they do attract all sorts. Nobody accused anybody of being a robot. I'd wager not everyone at a Phish concert is a tree-hugging hippie. Probably plenty of suits that just took the tie off for a weekend to unwind with a musical style that's to their taste.

You like your crap, I like mine. Why don't we leave it at that.

And King... I appreciate the post... informative opinion... But really, if they aren't nihilistic and just merely playing the "alienated" bit, isn't that splitting hairs? I mean alienation would seem to me to be a pretty strong prerequisite to adopting nihilistic views.

And to yermom's point, I've never been a big fan of groups that are so artistically arrogant that they run away from their successes. That smacks of "you don't understand our CRAFT" BS, or worse, "we don't want you to understand our CRAFT." Ugh.

KC//CRIMSON
5/29/2008, 01:43 PM
Radiohead is not a "big festival" band. Just for the record.

tbl
5/29/2008, 03:21 PM
Agree with Ron on the guitar stuff (sorta). The actual rhythm chords are easy enough, but playing the lead parts can get very complicated. Their songwriting skills are pretty amazing, especially on OKpc.

As far as that album goes, its strange how people receive it. I had the Bends and loved it, then my buddy recommended Okpc. I bought it then called to complain b/c I was very disappointed. He told me to listen to it a couple of times and then see what I thought. For some reason, it worked. I listened to it start to finish a couple of times and then it clicked. I went to Amazon.com and checkout out the reviews afterward and its amazing how many people had the same reaction. It has a way of growing on you and then you realize it for what it is; one of the best albums ever. I'm not saying it tops the Beatles or anything, but its in the upper echelon.

Mixer!
5/29/2008, 03:44 PM
Green Day

BillyBall
5/29/2008, 03:46 PM
Green Day

Oh I think we have a winner, well done.

Sooner_Havok
5/29/2008, 03:49 PM
Oh I think we have a winner, well done.

I can get behind that

tbl
5/29/2008, 03:55 PM
Me too. This could be the one.

def_lazer_fc
5/29/2008, 04:55 PM
if we are talking the median bland bro-rock band, i think staind and creed could fit the bill.

yermom
5/29/2008, 04:56 PM
if it wasn't for their latest stuff, i'd disagree about Green Day

Sooner_Havok
5/29/2008, 04:59 PM
Ok, we are building a consensus here people. It is looking like greenday may be the median rock band

soonerboy_odanorth
5/29/2008, 05:14 PM
Radiohead is not a "big festival" band. Just for the record.

Maybe not stateside, but I'm pretty sure I've read they were doing that festival thing England and Euro-side for a good bit of their career. But whatever... they've got a large gig-to-gig following.

Sooner_Havok
5/29/2008, 05:16 PM
Maybe not stateside, but I'm pretty sure I've read they were doing that festival thing England and Euro-side for a good bit of their career. But whatever... they've got a large gig-to-gig following.

<cough (http://www.apwfestival.com/event/lineup)>

soonerboy_odanorth
5/29/2008, 05:17 PM
And BTW, the correct answer to the original question posted is Huey Lewis and the News.

Sooner_Havok
5/29/2008, 05:18 PM
And BTW, the correct answer to the original question posted is Huey Lewis and the News.

Now, you must die!:P

sooneron
5/29/2008, 08:11 PM
I am sure there are a few RH fans that could appreciate Motorhead, but I bet you could count them on both hands at a given RH concert.

That is a pretty bold statement. I have been to see both groups live. What are the odds that there were only 8-9 others out there?:rolleyes:

royalfan5
5/29/2008, 08:21 PM

If I would have posted the most awesomest band ever when I started the thread, you'd be right. But I posted median, so you are wrong.

r5TPsooner
5/29/2008, 08:45 PM
Journey?

Sooner_Havok
5/29/2008, 09:56 PM
That is a pretty bold statement. I have been to see both groups live. What are the odds that there were only 8-9 others out there?:rolleyes:

Fine, replace MH with Slayer. You get my point, your just being difficult

sooneron
5/29/2008, 10:02 PM
Fine, replace MH with Slayer. You get my point, your just being difficult

I worked a Slayer concert. Does that count?

Is Slayer the penultimate rock band or something? I must have missed that memo.

I would never be caught dead at a Slayer show as a payee

sooneron
5/29/2008, 10:05 PM
Btw, I just checked Slayer's myspace. They sure are playing a lot of festivals this summer.

Fish

In

A

Barrel

tbl
5/29/2008, 10:21 PM
I still says Green Day. Not bad, but not great by any stretch (and yes, a huge contributing factor is the stuff they've been doing lately).

I think we have to include overall popularity as well. That would eliminate Boston and Journey. Those guys were huge and people still love their songs.

sooneron
5/29/2008, 10:27 PM
I think we have to include overall popularity as well. That would eliminate Boston and Journey. Those guys were huge and people still love their songs.

I think this takes you back to Everclear as their popularity was never quite that of GD's.

Frozen Sooner
5/29/2008, 11:32 PM
REO Speedwagon.

/Thread.

King Crimson
5/29/2008, 11:44 PM
STP, REO, and Green Day are pretty good offers. earlier today in the pool i was thinking it was maybe Loverboy.

CORNholio
5/30/2008, 12:43 AM
Van Halen

tommieharris91
5/30/2008, 01:56 AM
Van Halen

Nope, there are more artists worse than better.

Van Hagar maybe?

King Crimson
5/30/2008, 02:08 AM
Van Hagar maybe?

i could have gone for that. that's a real either/or type.

Mixer!
5/30/2008, 07:33 AM
Ok, we are building a consensus here people. It is looking like greenday may be the median rock band
I'm glad this old fart could be of service to you kids. ;)

sooneron
5/30/2008, 07:58 AM
Soul Asylum
ELP
Simple Minds

King Crimson
5/30/2008, 08:03 AM
Soul Asylum is a pretty good one.

kinda piggy-backed Husker Du and the 'Mats out of the 80's Minneapolis scene...and then tried their hand at writing proto-arena, sing along rock songs. kinda like Pearl Jam on 10, but just not as good.

sooneron
5/30/2008, 08:13 AM
Soul Asylum is a pretty good one.

kinda piggy-backed Husker Du and the 'Mats out of the 80's Minneapolis scene...and then tried their hand at writing proto-arena, sing along rock songs. kinda like Pearl Jam on 10, but just not as good.

Yeah, I think some of their early stuff was pretty good. Don't forget the attempted grunge look.

King Crimson
5/30/2008, 08:26 AM
Yeah, I think some of their early stuff was pretty good. Don't forget the attempted grunge look.

that's right. they were putting out records "inna day" on Twin/Tone and had some cred. and they had a great LP title in "Soul Asylum....and the Horse They Rode in On."

playing off the famous expression. that was a decent record.

Sooner_Havok
5/30/2008, 09:14 AM
Btw, I just checked Slayer's myspace. They sure are playing a lot of festivals this summer.

Fish

In

A

Barrel

You still get my point. People who like style X in music will have a less preferable view of style Y. Someone who ranks a band like Motorhead high will usually rank a band like Radiohead lower.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/12/2008, 01:54 AM
Resurrection of said dead thread... Fred.

Must have a moment of clarity {sic} sanity, which may or may not yield reasonable discussion.... topics....

I said I HATED The Bends... didn' tget it....dragged me down, etc.

Also said, I think met with scepticism, that I would be open to and listen to some more.

Friend loaned me OKPC.

Here is my impression.

Top to bottom I think it is very disjointed. NO consistency. The album to my ear does not "flow". Can't explain that, you just have to have your own experience,

I'll say this... and "out" my musical tastes at the same time...

Several elements of this album are very David Bowie-like. And I love his music. His first few albums to me, sans any professional critique, are of magnificent sonic resonance and lyric. In short, for say his first 4 albums, every single song is listenable without context.

I do not get that from Radiohead.

However, that is not to say I have not opened up to other oppurtunities to hear Radiohead in other settings. That's my cryptic way of saying that I like very much some of what I heard from OK PC. And the rest was pretty much PLEH!

I enjoyed the following from OKPC:

Paranoid Android
Karma Police
Electioneering
No Surprises

Good stuff!

crawfish
6/12/2008, 07:35 AM
REO Speedwagon.

/Thread.

Seconded.