PDA

View Full Version : Surround sound?

achiro
5/28/2008, 11:13 AM
So I figure that the wal-mart $299 package that includes speakers and receiver isn't the best choice here so I ask, what do I need to look for? I want to experience as close to "full" capabilities for the ps3, blueray, hd dvd, hdtv stuff that I worked so hard for but don't want to break the bank on the sound system. Any suggestions?

OUDoc
5/28/2008, 11:23 AM
I want to experience as close to "full" capabilities for the ps3, blueray, hd dvd, hdtv stuff that I worked so hard for but don't want to break the bank on the sound system.

That's going to be tough, depending on what you mean by "break the bank".

achiro
5/28/2008, 11:29 AM
That's going to be tough, depending on what you mean by "break the bank".

I was thinking around tree fitty

TheUnnamedSooner
5/28/2008, 11:37 AM
Yamaha has the best receivers out there IMO. I bought mine about 7 years ago, and it's still better than a lot out there now. My suggestion would be to buy as nice of a receiver as you can afford with some cheap speakers (your most sound comes from the center speaker, so that is your most important one) and then upgrade your speakers as you have the money to do so. If you go with a cheap receiver, you will just end up regretting it.

I run my xbox, DVR, and CD player through my receiver, and it sounds great, will make the tables rattle if I wanted...

OU4LIFE
5/28/2008, 12:27 PM
second vote for the Yamaha RX-V series.

very nice stuff, middle of the road price.

Taxman71
5/28/2008, 01:19 PM
If your goal is "full" capability, then any HT in a box will not due as you can only connect 2 to 3 components with no upgrade available. Thus, buy an A/V receiver with all the connections you think you will need (at least 1 HDMI, a couple of component, maybe 5.1 analog). I also have a Yamaha RX-V and it rocks. The HTR series is cheaper and sold in Best Buy, etc.

Scrap what speakers you can for now and upgrade those later as your budget allows. The 3 fronts and the subwoofer provide 90% of your surround experience and most ceiling speakers or small bookshelf speakers will do the trick for the surrounds.

Widescreen
5/28/2008, 01:46 PM
I'd recommend 2 HDMI connections (for HD cable/sat receiver and Blu-ray) and a combination of coaxial and optical audio connections. It also either needs to decode all the latest HD audio codecs or have multi-channel analog inputs.

Frozen Sooner
5/28/2008, 02:47 PM
If your goal is "full" capability, then any HT in a box will not due as you can only connect 2 to 3 components with no upgrade available. Thus, buy an A/V receiver with all the connections you think you will need (at least 1 HDMI, a couple of component, maybe 5.1 analog). I also have a Yamaha RX-V and it rocks. The HTR series is cheaper and sold in Best Buy, etc.

Scrap what speakers you can for now and upgrade those later as your budget allows. The 3 fronts and the subwoofer provide 90% of your surround experience and most ceiling speakers or small bookshelf speakers will do the trick for the surrounds.

The RX-V series can also be purchased at Best Buy. ;)

And yeah, I like the RX-V series a great deal. I've owned two RX-V series receiver and they were great. Onkyo makes good receivers at the same price points, as does Denon.

achiro
5/28/2008, 02:55 PM
I'd recommend 2 HDMI connections (for HD cable/sat receiver and Blu-ray) and a combination of coaxial and optical audio connections. It also either needs to decode all the latest HD audio codecs or have multi-channel analog inputs.

Just curious on the HDMI connections. My TV only has two, so do I go from, for example, the PS3 to the receiver, then back to the TV from the recever?
I guess what I am saying is how do I get the HDMI from the PS3, DVR, AND 360 to the receiver and to the TV?

Frozen Sooner
5/28/2008, 04:16 PM
Just curious on the HDMI connections. My TV only has two, so do I go from, for example, the PS3 to the receiver, then back to the TV from the recever?
I guess what I am saying is how do I get the HDMI from the PS3, DVR, AND 360 to the receiver and to the TV?

that's exactly right. Make sure the receiver isn't hdmi passthrough or you'll need separate audio cables and won't get DTS HD MA or DTHD.