PDA

View Full Version : Got a question for the canine people on the board

BudSooner
5/27/2008, 09:38 PM
What flea killer do you use? Frontline? K9 Advantage?
My aunt used one several years ago but I cannot remember the name of it, it may be Frontline, anyway she applied it and within hours we noticed alot of the bastards had passed on to the great flea reward.
My Sheltie mix is having a rough go this year and i'm considering something else...Advantix isn't doing that great of a job so i'm open to suggestions in regards to her health.
She is 4 1/2yrs old, and about 26lbs.

bluedogok
5/27/2008, 09:42 PM
On my heeler we used Frontline, it seemed to work the best. Advantage worked alright but Advantix never seemed to work. My parents used Revolution which is a Flea/Heartworm med together with good results.

Scott D
5/27/2008, 10:00 PM
My folks used Frontline with two different dogs of two totally different breeds. Both dogs ended up becoming epileptic. So far the third dog hasn't show signs of becoming epileptic as well.

Neither of my dogs had/have a flea problem so we never got flea collars. We just used the HeartGard pills to prevent heartworm.

Rogue
5/27/2008, 10:03 PM
Advantix works fine on Raja the German Shepherd. I've used some pyrethrin spray when the neighborhood had an outbreak before too. I'll always use heardguard too.

StoopTroup
5/27/2008, 10:29 PM
Advantix...no problems with Buddy.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/DSC02909.jpg

achiro
5/27/2008, 11:04 PM
My folks used Frontline with two different dogs of two totally different breeds. Both dogs ended up becoming epileptic. So far the third dog hasn't show signs of becoming epileptic as well.

Neither of my dogs had/have a flea problem so we never got flea collars. We just used the HeartGard pills to prevent heartworm.

not the first time I've heard of this with frontline. I have no idea if there is comfirmation of a link or not though.

Sooner Schemer
5/27/2008, 11:17 PM
Frontline has always worked for my dogs. Never noticed any repercussions with it, although I normally use it only 2 or 3 times per year.

Scott D
5/27/2008, 11:34 PM
not the first time I've heard of this with frontline. I have no idea if there is comfirmation of a link or not though.

the only thing I've ever found is that there is a chemical used in all flea treatments that has the possibility of causing a dog/cat to have seizures. It seems to depend on how much of that particular chemical is in that particular one you get.

My mom and I both agree that it's likely that the amount of dogs that use Frontline itself that end up epileptic from the product is such a small number that any study would say that it was unlikely that most dogs would have that kind of a reaction.

SteelClip49
5/27/2008, 11:53 PM
there ain't no bugs on me, there ain't no bugs on me, there may be bugs on some of you mugs, but there ain't no bugs on me.

olevetonahill
5/28/2008, 12:00 AM
Frontline, Ive used it for years no probs , No ticks , No fleas .
Like was said thos I ony use it on em in the srpring thru the fall Maybe 4 months or so . the rest of the time Theres No prob .
I Hint . If you have a Cat
When you dose your Dog save a few drops and Put it on the cat . Not enough to Hurt a cat but it will Keep them pest free also .

AlbqSooner
5/28/2008, 06:48 AM
When I lived in the country in Eastern Oklahoma I had 3 dogs who spent a lot of times wandering in the woods. I got some of those yellow stop sign looking ear tags for cattle and attached one to each of their collars. No fleas and very few ticks. Most any farm supply will have them. Mine were bigger dogs so you might want to ask your vet.

TUSooner
5/28/2008, 07:42 AM
WOOF WOOF
woof woof woof
woof-woof
WOOF
(Translation: Sentinel and K9Advantix work great for me.)

ousoonerfan
5/28/2008, 08:56 AM
Frontline on the dogs and granules from Lowe's in the yard. Not sure about the brand. No fleas evar.

soonerbrat
5/28/2008, 09:02 AM
goats and guinea hens keep ticks away. you should get some of those.

sooneron
5/28/2008, 09:06 AM
Frontline

OU4LIFE
5/28/2008, 09:53 AM
FWIW, the OSU vetmed college recommends frontline.

but we don't use as often as the product says to....I'd hate to give Duke seizures.

nmsoonergirl
5/28/2008, 10:46 AM
I've used frontline for 7 years on Bridger. I use a little less than it calls for (he's 115 pounds and I use the 88-100 pound vial), and I use it once every 2 months (unless we are visiting Oklahoma, then I'll use it more often). I also don't use it during the winter here, but I did when I lived in OKC.

No fleas and luckily no seizures.

Does anyone only do heartworm prevention during the summer? My vet keeps telling me I don't need to do heartguard in the winter, but I'm too nervous not to. I know heartworms are awful things.

olevetonahill
5/28/2008, 11:46 AM
I've used frontline for 7 years on Bridger. I use a little less than it calls for (he's 115 pounds and I use the 88-100 pound vial), and I use it once every 2 months (unless we are visiting Oklahoma, then I'll use it more often). I also don't use it during the winter here, but I did when I lived in OKC.

No fleas and luckily no seizures.

Does anyone only do heartworm prevention during the summer? My vet keeps telling me I don't need to do heartguard in the winter, but I'm too nervous not to. I know heartworms are awful things.

Only In skeeter season is the heartgaurd needed