PDA

View Full Version : Greatest OU Wide Receiver Of All Time

r5TPsooner
5/27/2008, 08:13 PM
Same as the TE poll. If I left someone off I apologize but the list has gotten a bit longer since Stoops came to Norman which is a good thing.

183828sooners
5/27/2008, 08:16 PM
easy......Mark Clayton......he made jason white that much better

r5TPsooner
5/27/2008, 08:22 PM
I thought that too until I saw the entire list that I generated. I'm gonna think about my choice for a few minutes. You also have to remember than Hinton, Shepard, and Rhymes were all amazing but had the ball thrown to them much less than Clayton.

JLEW1818
5/27/2008, 08:28 PM
Mark Clayton was the best WR at the University of Oklahoma. He worked hard, put the team first, and made everybody around him better. He was not a big name coming into college. AND LOOK WHAT HAPPENED SINCE HE WORKED HARD AND WAS A TEAM PLAYER, AND DID NOT CRY LIKE A BABY!!!

FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK.

r5TPsooner
5/27/2008, 08:30 PM
It came down between Clayton, Rhymes, and Shepard for me. Kelly took a lot of plays off... especially during bowl games.

goingoneight
5/27/2008, 10:23 PM
No... he didn't. He missed two of three bowl games and had a moron named Bomar quarterbacking as a frosh in his first bowl.

Clayton was the full package... great blocker, threw the ball, excellent runner, special teams guy... and oh, yeah... he could catch the ball, too. But you have to think about this one. The question probably best to ask is who is your All-OU WR unit?

Kelly as the deep-man, Clayton inside and Touchdown machine Bradley on the strong side (slip-screen) guy.

JLEW1818
5/27/2008, 10:37 PM
Was Bomar the number 2 recruit in the nation or state of Texas?? I know AD was number 1??

r5TPsooner
5/27/2008, 10:39 PM
No... he didn't. He missed two of three bowl games and had a moron named Bomar quarterbacking as a frosh in his first bowl.

Clayton was the full package... great blocker, threw the ball, excellent runner, special teams guy... and oh, yeah... he could catch the ball, too. But you have to think about this one. The question probably best to ask is who is your All-OU WR unit?

Kelly as the deep-man, Clayton inside and Touchdown machine Bradley on the strong side (slip-screen) guy.

I sat right in the stands and watched him take plays off.

pweitkem
5/28/2008, 07:26 AM
Mark Clayton was the best OU has seen.

It was difficult not to vote for Tinker Owens, though. He played on a run first offense and still won a number of big games for the Sooners.

starrca23
5/28/2008, 07:49 AM
For what he did to saxet alone...Mark Clayton.

soonerfan28
5/28/2008, 07:58 AM
I know Clayton was awesome, but how does Tinker Owens only have 1 vot. That was mine by the way. He had over 1400 yards in his career. A time in which we ran the ball. Just curious.

r5TPsooner
5/28/2008, 08:27 AM
I know Clayton was awesome, but how does Tinker Owens only have 1 vot. That was mine by the way. He had over 1400 yards in his career. A time in which we ran the ball. Just curious.

What have you done for us lately? Maybe that's it.

pweitkem
5/28/2008, 08:43 AM

It took me a few minutes to decide between Clayton and Owens.... Clayton was exciting in the open field, but Tinker never dropped a pass. Tinker was awesome, no doubt, but Clayton was just a little better in my opinion.

Someone should put up a Greatest Sooner Family of All Time poll.
my entires:
Selmon Brothers
Owens Brothers
Gibbs family (he did get us in good with the NCAA again and his daughter is quite possibly the best looking Sooner of all time... I never had a shot)
Stoops Brothers

Will likely be the Selmons by a landslide.

ousoonerfan
5/28/2008, 08:54 AM
Clayton

sooneron
5/28/2008, 09:01 AM
What, no Steve Rhodes?? I would put he and Penny ahead of Warren.

However, Clayton wins hands down. I would prolly vote Tinker or Derrick second...

soonerfan28
5/28/2008, 09:05 AM
Tinker played before I was alive, but if I'm not mistaken he had all of the records before Clayton. The guy was a 2 time All American during a time we ran the ball. I know he probably got some recognition because he was Steve's brother, but he could play.

soonermix
5/28/2008, 09:05 AM
Clayton

soonerfan28
5/28/2008, 09:07 AM
We need to have a thread of just the craziest Sooner players names ever.

VA Sooner
5/28/2008, 09:09 AM
Clayton, Rhymes, and Owens for me.

Watching the 2003 and 2004 seasons with Mark Clayton breaking free and most importantly, his yards after catch, were amazing stats. Clayton could stop on a dime, make a defender miss, change direction and head straight for the end-zone. He was also a team player... wouldn't think twice about laying a defender out to help his fellow team mates shine.

Rhymes was there for some amazing plays and Owens had some impressive records during the Wishbone era but for sheer talent, Clayton has my vote.

NormanPride
5/28/2008, 09:27 AM
Yeah, as much as I respect and love all that Tinker did for us, Clayton was one of the best college WRs I've seen. He wasn't the fastest guy out there, but he made every movement count.

Harry Beanbag
5/28/2008, 09:32 AM
Buster would win the "Best Sooner to Ever Fire an Uzi off the Balcony of his Dorm" pole. :)

Clayton wins this one hands down though.

mikeelikee
5/28/2008, 09:44 AM
Ben Hart was also pretty good, back in the day.

r5TPsooner
5/28/2008, 09:47 AM
Ben Hart was also pretty good, back in the day.

I agree but he was way down there on the stats. Plus, most Sooner fans would probably not know or remember him.

Taxman71
5/28/2008, 10:04 AM
Guys, guys, guys.....Billy Brooks played in the wishbone era and was the #11 overall pick in the 1976 draft...easily our highest WR draft pick ever. His stats won't match up against the pass happy and spread offense eras, but come on.....#11 overall pick?

OU_Sooners75
5/29/2008, 02:35 AM
I know some of those listed play for OU when the pass was for emergencies only...with that said, it is hard to argue against Mark Clayton.

r5TPsooner
5/29/2008, 08:17 AM
I expected Clayton to win but not by this big of a margin.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/29/2008, 09:57 AM
Tinker Owens..Just finished a book about him and the dude was an amazing player....

Animal Mother
5/29/2008, 02:51 PM
Guys, guys, guys.....Billy Brooks played in the wishbone era and was the #11 overall pick in the 1976 draft...easily our highest WR draft pick ever. His stats won't match up against the pass happy and spread offense eras, but come on.....#11 overall pick?

Ask texas and meatchicken about Brooks. Not so much the catching but his running the end around. Deadly!

Paperclip
5/29/2008, 03:02 PM
I thought Steve Rhodes would make the list. Personally I'd vote for JaJuan Penny. :)

jackietreehorn
5/29/2008, 03:06 PM
Tinker Owens..Just finished a book about him and the dude was an amazing player....

what book is that?

my vote is for Tink

TheUnnamedSooner
5/29/2008, 03:08 PM
What about Ahmed Kabba? He was the best. evar. ;)

Fraggle145
5/29/2008, 06:20 PM
Tommy McDonald anyone? I mean he is in the NFL hall of fame. Won the Maxwell and would have won the heisman if he didnt split votes with teammates. I mean I guess he was a RB at OU, but still... maybe he should be in the RB thread then?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/29/2008, 08:30 PM
what book is that?

my vote is for Tink

"Sooner": A season as lived and played by Tinker Owens....chronicles the 73 season..If I m correct it states he either had 1 or 2 drops in his playing days at Norman

King Crimson
5/30/2008, 01:38 AM
I thought Steve Rhodes would make the list. Personally I'd vote for JaJuan Penny. :)

i'll third that Steve Rhodes deserves mention.....pretty much every famous/ game winning big play between 76-80 there's Steve Rhodes. doing something, hook and lateral against NU in 76, two big catches with hamstring pull to beat FSU on the last OU drive.

King Crimson
5/30/2008, 01:42 AM
kinda hard not to favor the 99-00 group with Savage, Woolfolk, Fagan etc. as a "team" award. those guys really did it after catching tennis balls off the machine in the post Ahmed Kabba era.

but, also, no mention of Billy Brooks? helluva player.

sooner94
6/2/2008, 03:04 PM
Buster would win the "Best Sooner to Ever Fire an Uzi off the Balcony of his Dorm" pole. :)

Clayton wins this one hands down though.

I sure hope Buster is the only one in that poll.:D

Animal Mother
6/2/2008, 03:09 PM
kinda hard not to favor the 99-00 group with Savage, Woolfolk, Fagan etc. as a "team" award. those guys really did it after catching tennis balls off the machine in the post Ahmed Kabba era.

but, also, no mention of Billy Brooks? helluva player.

I mentioned Mr. Brooks Mr. Fripp.

stoopified
6/3/2008, 03:06 PM
In spite of his whiny ,me-first outburst I think Kelly is the best.Clayton dropped way too many catchable passes in his career.Kelly by my count dropped about 5 in his whole career.

Taxman71
6/3/2008, 03:17 PM
In spite of his whiny ,me-first outburst I think Kelly is the best.Clayton dropped way too many catchable passes in his career.Kelly by my count dropped about 5 in his whole career.

Kelly did not have near the impact on the field that Clayton did. Last year, he was 2nd on the team in yards and TD's. If he stayed for 2008 and put up numbers like Clayton's junior year, I might go with him.

Harry Beanbag
6/3/2008, 04:51 PM
Kelly by my count dropped about 5 in his whole career.

He dropped twice that last year once he figured out he was leaving. Before about halfway through last season, Kelly had the best hands I've ever seen in college ball, something changed.

Vegas Sooner
6/3/2008, 10:54 PM
Clayton

SoonerinSouthlake
6/4/2008, 09:19 PM
Was Bomar the number 2 recruit in the nation or state of Texas?? I know AD was number 1??

believe Nation....seems like I remember us grabbing the country's top 2 prospects

SoonerinSouthlake
6/4/2008, 09:21 PM
PJ Mills?

Ok kidding...

But I was on campus at that time and we were told we had recruited Jerry Rice Jr.

journeyman
6/4/2008, 11:05 PM
he did get us in good with the NCAA again and his daughter is quite possibly the best looking Sooner of all time

Hello, Taylor Tubbs anyone??

Harry Beanbag
6/5/2008, 06:52 AM
believe Nation....seems like I remember us grabbing the country's top 2 prospects

Bomar was #4, by Rivals rankings, behind Ted Ginn and Early Doucet.

Bone
6/5/2008, 11:31 AM
Poll is closed, but I'd say Clayton. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to see everyone in the list.

okieslp
6/22/2008, 01:21 AM
I think one of my earliest OU memories is watching Buster Rhymes diving into the end zone. He seemed like he was flying, a super hero. And the name, come on. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

KingBarry
6/22/2008, 02:38 AM
I think its hard to pick an option-era wide out who only had a very limited oportunity to impact the game over a modern spread-philosophy guy like Clayton. He had an impact on the majority of snaps, if only to pull heat from the other receivers. Kind of makes Clayton the overwhelming choice.

A more interesting poll would have beenwho are the best two or three receivers. There's some room for debate there.