PDA

View Full Version : DSLR Digital Camera Lenses

r5TPsooner
5/27/2008, 05:37 PM
I recently purchased a Nikon D60 DSLR camera and was wanting to upgrade in the lens department. I don't mind spending $300 more for a Nikon lens if they are just that much better. I looked this weekend at a Tamron and a Sigma "generic" lens that are made for the Nikon.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these lenses?

VeeJay
5/27/2008, 07:04 PM
Tell me more about the D60. I've been comparing prices. The body with 18-55 mm Nikon lens is around $749 at Best Buy, $699 at Sam's (just checked that today). Buying online for $699 will save around $50 on the sales tax.

How do you like the camera so far? As far as the lens, I may just buy the body and a 28-200mm Nikon lens. That would push the price up a little more but I'd wouldn't have to change the lens.

KC//CRIMSON
5/27/2008, 08:03 PM
I recently purchased a Nikon D60 DSLR camera and was wanting to upgrade in the lens department. I don't mind spending $300 more for a Nikon lens if they are just that much better. I looked this weekend at a Tamron and a Sigma "generic" lens that are made for the Nikon.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these lenses?

FWIW - It's a lot cheaper to rent the lenses than buy them.

r5TPsooner
5/27/2008, 08:04 PM
Excellent all around camera. I bought mine off off Amazon and got free shipping. The camera takes great pictures and I wish that I would have just gotten the really good lens to begin with.

Good luck.

AlbqSooner
5/27/2008, 08:43 PM
Tell me more about the D60. I've been comparing prices. The body with 18-55 mm Nikon lens is around $749 at Best Buy, $699 at Sam's (just checked that today). Buying online for $699 will save around $50 on the sales tax.

How do you like the camera so far? As far as the lens, I may just buy the body and a 28-200mm Nikon lens. That would push the price up a little more but I'd wouldn't have to change the lens.

The 28-200 should give you everything you need. If, after a bit of use you think you might need more for a specific project, you can always buy a 2X converter. You will need to make appropriate f/stop and shutter speed to compensate for the converter but that is not hard to learn.

VeeJay
5/27/2008, 10:11 PM
I used a 2X converter with a Pentax MX probably 25 years ago and they are tricky under various lighting conditions. Not to mention I needed a vise grip to hold the thing steady.

soonerboomer93
5/27/2008, 11:19 PM
teleconverters aren't suggested with those lenses.

I have a d80 and an 18-200 lense. Sometimes I wish it had a tad more reach, but really, it takes fantastic photos. Only times I had problems was when I didn't get some of my settings right for the conditions.

Next purchase will be a 10-22 (or equivalent)

looks like the d60 is the new gen d40. I would advise atleast handling it in a store. I tried the d40, it was too small to handle comfortably and i don't considerf myself to have large hands. also, only having 3 focus points is a negative for me.

soonerboomer93
5/27/2008, 11:22 PM
oh, the new canon XSI is intriguing. If they had had one when I bought my d80 it would have been a strong choice. I choice the d80 in part because it took SD memory