PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 will keep current revenue sharing model

soonerfan28
5/27/2008, 01:35 PM
Does anybody see a problem with the current system in place. I think the schools that make the conference more money should get the bigger checks. Anybodys opinion.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3409420

snp
5/27/2008, 03:53 PM
A lot of good stuff in that article. I'd really like to see that conference challenge series.

Estimates are that the school with the most television exposure earned about $2 million more than the bottom school on the conference's list.

"That sum wouldn't have a dramatic effect on any one athletic department," Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw said.

I feel the same way; that's chump change for a Big 12 athletic department. Why should Tech get some of our money when we schedule quality OOC teams every year and they are always hitting up the cupcake schedule. I'd be in favor of teams keeping their OOC TV money all to themselves.

But like the article points out, the Big 12 needs 9 votes to overturn this - and OU, UT, NU, and A&M will block this as long as they can.

poke4christ
5/27/2008, 04:34 PM
Does anybody see a problem with the current system in place. I think the schools that make the conference more money should get the bigger checks. Anybodys opinion.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3409420

Of course you do. Football is the biggest cash cow and OU is good at football. Fans of schools like baylor are always going to see it the opposite way. It's kinda hard for anyone not to be subjective on this.

As for me, I don't know if I really have an opinion on it. I can see good points on both sides.

poke4christ
5/27/2008, 04:36 PM
A lot of good stuff in that article. I'd really like to see that conference challenge series.

I feel the same way; that's chump change for a Big 12 athletic department. Why should Tech get some of our money when we schedule quality OOC teams every year and they are always hitting up the cupcake schedule. I'd be in favor of teams keeping their OOC TV money all to themselves.

But like the article points out, the Big 12 needs 9 votes to overturn this - and OU, UT, NU, and A&M will block this as long as they can.

That makes sense and I agree.

Kray
5/27/2008, 07:32 PM
In a perfect world, we'd get to keep everything, but the reason we are in a conference is that it provides benefits, and we're essentially paying for those benefits in scheduling, consistency, etc. The current model is rational, although the less lucrative producers are looking for more. I wouldn't mind some alteration to help them out, given that it still rewarded excellence more than mediocrity.

A strong conference is of benefit to us, ultimately.

goingoneight
5/27/2008, 10:32 PM
A lot of people forget how badly we would have been ****ed if not for the profit sharing during the Boo Blake tenure. The reason people say Stoops resurged the program has a lot to do with revenue as well as finally looking like Oklahoma football again.

No bowls, ****-poor attendance, losing record doesn't exactly pay the bills or make room for improvement (improvement being axing Blake and getting Bob).

soonerfan28
5/28/2008, 07:54 AM
It's clear that football and basketball are the cash cows in any conference, so yes I'm for the system. However I wouldn't mind seeing teams keep there TV money to themselves.

badger
5/28/2008, 10:25 AM
I like having a strong conference. I just wish the North would get their act in gear.

NormanPride
5/28/2008, 11:19 AM
Don't look now, but the North may have more quality teams than the South this year (in football).

soonerfan28
5/28/2008, 11:26 AM
NORTH - Neb, KU, Mizzou.
SOUTH - OU, Texas, A&M, Tech, OSU

Flagstaffsooner
5/28/2008, 02:06 PM
Lets just get rid of the old SWC refs.

ric311
6/3/2008, 02:20 PM
NORTH - Neb, KU, Mizzou.
SOUTH - OU, Texas, A&M, Tech, OSU

Or, more realistically -

North - Mizzou, KU, CU
South - OU, UT.

Your man crush on the nibblets is duly noted.

snp
6/3/2008, 02:42 PM
Or, more realistically -

North - Mizzou, KU, CU
South - OU, UT.

Your man crush on the nibblets is duly noted.

Yes a team that went 9-4 and returns more starters than a team that went 6-7 shouldn't count. Before you counter with "but we own Tech!" you also lost to 3-9 ISU and 5-7 KSU.

I will concede CU is back on the rise but don't try and say you're better than Tech at the moment.

Fraggle145
6/3/2008, 03:19 PM
If we do the OOC tourney thing like basketball I hope we match up against the SEC... Then we will never have to hear about how much better they are anymore.

RedstickSooner
6/3/2008, 03:32 PM
Honestly, it seems like sharing TV revenue is only fair -- we benefit from being in a conference, and sharing that portion isn't terribly onerous. Sharing bowl cash also makes sense, since bowls are usually conference tie-ins.

Individual schools should make their money directly from their brand value, same as NFL teams (just as an example) do. By peddling merchandise & jacking up ticket prices. The conference helps support the strength & value of that brand -- so sharing those other cash flows seems reasonable.

But, yeah, you can't help feeling a little annoyed when you see Baylor getting a cut of the cash we earn when we play in a BCS bowl more'n half the time this century.

ric311
6/3/2008, 03:47 PM
Yes a team that went 9-4 and returns more starters than a team that went 6-7 shouldn't count. Before you counter with "but we own Tech!" you also lost to 3-9 ISU and 5-7 KSU.

I will concede CU is back on the rise but don't try and say you're better than Tech at the moment.

We own tech. Honestly. I don't know why, but we always seem to beat those guys. Same with A&M.

I'm not trying to say it, I am saying it. I have no idea how Tech gets the love they do. Very average football team, IMO.

soonerfan28
6/3/2008, 04:19 PM
We own tech. Honestly. I don't know why, but we always seem to beat those guys. Same with A&M.

I'm not trying to say it, I am saying it. I have no idea how Tech gets the love they do. Very average football team, IMO.

I agree we own them. They got lucky last year at there place with Halzle as our QB and 2005 was a joke. They get love because they can score a bazillion points and get a bazillion yards every game. They also have Crabtree and he won the WR award as a freshman. They don't wanted to **** with us this year. We are gonna smash that team. I can only pray that they are undefeated when they come to Norman. It will be even sweeter.

soonerinabilene
6/3/2008, 04:57 PM
I agree we own them. They got lucky last year at there place with Halzle as our QB and 2005 was a joke. They get love because they can score a bazillion points and get a bazillion yards every game. They also have Crabtree and he won the WR award as a freshman. They don't wanted to **** with us this year. We are gonna smash that team. I can only pray that they are undefeated when they come to Norman. It will be even sweeter.

ahem... he's a buff, not a sooner. When he says WE own tech, he's talking about CU.

snp
6/3/2008, 05:51 PM

This is going to be a dumb argument since you have no reading comprehension. You don't get to put Kansas on that list and exclude Tech. Let's see how KU does when they play OU, UT, and Tech (3 losses) instead of the 3 stooges of the Big 12 South.

ric311
6/3/2008, 06:35 PM
This is going to be a dumb argument since you have no reading comprehension. You don't get to put Kansas on that list and exclude Tech. Let's see how KU does when they play OU, UT, and Tech (3 losses) instead of the 3 stooges of the Big 12 South.

It's not an argument, so my reading comprehension is not an issue. So are we talking about Kansas, Tech, or CU now?

BTW - I totally agree that KU is ripe for an exposure this year. However, I think you, and a lot of other people for that matter, give Tech way too much credit. KU is a better football team than Tech. Not better than OU or UT, but better than Tech.

snp
6/3/2008, 10:04 PM
It's not an argument, so my reading comprehension is not an issue. So are we talking about Kansas, Tech, or CU now?

All 3. You made a list, I disagreed with it. It became an argument.

BTW - I totally agree that KU is ripe for an exposure this year. However, I think you, and a lot of other people for that matter, give Tech way too much credit. KU is a better football team than Tech. Not better than OU or UT, but better than Tech.

Well then we'll have to wait until 10/25 to see who is right. Until then.