PDA

View Full Version : Hey Sic'em!

Okla-homey
5/26/2008, 04:52 PM
Took this with my phone in Ardmore this weekend when I went out to pay my respects at the graves of my grandparents. I believe Ardmore features the largest Cornfed cemetery in Oklahoma. (the Confederate Veterans home was in Ardmore for many years and when the residents passed on, they got buried in their own section of the city cemetery.)

Some of the stones are in pretty bad shape but the local SCV camp is in the process of replacing them.

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/5221/hillcrest2or7.jpg

SicEmBaylor
5/26/2008, 04:56 PM
That really is a beautiful sight. My thanks for posting this!

My SCV camp spent the weekend putting up flags around the area. It's really kind of unreal how many Confederate dead rest in the area when you're putting up flags at each individual plot.

At any rate, thanks for the post! Hope you have a good Memorial Day!

Okla-homey
5/26/2008, 05:05 PM
As you walk along and read those stones, you'll find they represent the entire South. There are guys from every CS state. It's really quite interesting and based on the fact so many ex-Rebs came to the I.T. after the "woah" ended for a fresh start. You'll see a grave of a VA cavalryman who rode with Mosby in the Shenandoah Valley lying next to a FL infantryman who fought at Olustee.

SicEmBaylor
5/26/2008, 06:26 PM
As you walk along and read those stones, you'll find they represent the entire South. There are guys from every CS state. It's really quite interesting and based on the fact so many ex-Rebs came to the I.T. after the "woah" ended for a fresh start. You'll see a grave of a VA cavalryman who rode with Mosby in the Shenandoah Valley lying next to a FL infantryman who fought at Olustee.

That's essentially how my family got here. They left Alabama for Texas (the Ft. Worth area) to escape the worst of reconstruction and stayed there for a few years. They later moved to SE Oklahoma where they still are today (for the most part). My Great-Great Grandfather who was a 1st. Lt. in the 15th AL didn't die until 1922 so my grandfather used to tell me stories about being a little boy and listening to my GGfather tell war stories.

Chuck Bao
5/26/2008, 08:49 PM
Where is this cemetary, Homey? I'd like to visit it.

JohnnyMack
5/26/2008, 10:01 PM
Stupid *** crackers.

Okla-homey
5/27/2008, 06:54 AM
Where is this cemetary, Homey? I'd like to visit it.

Ardmore. Hillcrest. Just southwest of town. really easy to find.

StoopTroup
5/27/2008, 07:33 AM
Ya know Homey...I don't have Folks buried in Ardmore but I do in Osawatomie, KS and Palmyra, MO.

All across this great Country you will find places of Reverence such as the Cemetary in Ardmore. They are all full of Folks who made this Country great and it's nice when you see a picture like this as it reminds me of the ones my own Family are Honored.

Thanks Homey.

OKLA21FAN
5/27/2008, 07:50 AM
pffffffffffffffffffttttttt
no messican flags? :gary: