PDA

View Full Version : Assembled genuii...

Okla-homey
5/26/2008, 02:57 PM
'parently, people all over America are switching to buying ordinary consumables on-line. They proclaim it saves 'em gas guzzling trips to the Food King.

here's my question:

Is buying groceries on-line and having them delivered really better for the environment than driving your car to the grocery store and loading up with what you need? Seems like it would be a net wash to me, since the stuff still has to get to your house, be it by UPS or your own car.

tommieharris91
5/26/2008, 03:00 PM
It don't save the environment, but it can save the individual munny.

jkjsooner
5/26/2008, 03:02 PM
'parently, people all over America are switching to buying ordinary consumables on-line. They proclaim it saves 'em gas guzzling trips to the Food King.

here's my question:

Is buying groceries on-line and having them delivered really better for the environment than driving your car to the grocery store and loading up with what you need? Seems like it would be a net wash to me, since the stuff still has to get to your house, be it by UPS or your own car.

I think you can argue that the UPS guy is delivering a lot of stuff to a multitude of people in one trip. It depends on the individual circumstances but that would seem more efficient to me.

olevetonahill
5/26/2008, 03:02 PM
I just have My DIL buy My stuff for me when she goes to the Store
Hell saves Me Gas:D

yermom
5/26/2008, 03:03 PM
well, in theory, the UPS/USPS truck is basically driving the same route anyway, and would only be making one trip, vs each person making a round trip to the store

TUSooner
5/26/2008, 03:30 PM
well, in theory, the UPS/USPS truck is basically driving the same route anyway, and would only be making one trip, vs each person making a round trip to the store

This is probly right.

But grocery shopping has therapeutic qualities for me that I am not willing to give up.

Vaevictis
5/26/2008, 03:34 PM
Just imagine the following scenario:

You and your neighbor each need to make a trip to the grocery store. If you go separately, you both have to make the trip. If only one of you goes and shops and picks up stuff for the other guy, then you only make the trip once and hence save gas.

Having it delivered by UPS/USPS is analogous to this, except it makes many, many stops.

I'm not certain, but I expect that how efficient using UPS/USPS is would be related to the population density of the area you live in; the more dense, the more efficient.

yermom
5/26/2008, 03:38 PM
there is some crap you just can't get that way though

it seems like the stuff you'd have shipped would be the stuff you could just buy in bulk and store for a long time anyway

the stuff you need more often you'd need to pick up yourself

SoonerInKCMO
5/26/2008, 05:54 PM
I miss my place in Bellevue where I could walk to two different grocery stores, the 7-11, about 30 restaurants and bars, 2 bookstores, a pron shop and a liquor store. :(

5/26/2008, 06:03 PM
I miss my place in Bellevue where I could walk to two different grocery stores, the 7-11, about 30 restaurants and bars, 2 bookstores, a pron shop and a liquor store. :(

You may have just created a cottage industry.:)

jkjsooner
5/26/2008, 06:12 PM
This is probly right.

But grocery shopping has therapeutic qualities for me that I am not willing to give up.

If by therapeutic qualities you mean I'd rather have my nails pulled out one-by-one then I agree. ;-)

leavingthezoo
5/26/2008, 06:24 PM
being one of those people, I can pretty much assure you it is NOT better for the environment. maybe a few emissions are saved but they make up for it with how groceries are bagged. (this is assuming you don't actually get your groceries delivered by the UPS man, but by the store itself-- in my case, safeway or albertson's.) what i could cram into 4 bags takes 10 to 15 for them. it's insane. often times, one item to a bag. I SAID INSANE!

i'm guessing convenience takes precedent for the shopper. i still do the majority of my shopping in store, but once a month i go big online for the heavy stuff which i can't handle on my own with a bum knee.