Phil
5/26/2008, 11:44 AM
We made the tourney!!!

Sooner24
5/26/2008, 11:47 AM
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eielson
5/26/2008, 11:49 AM
I think we got about the toughest region. We made it, though!

Ardmore_Sooner
5/26/2008, 11:52 AM
What regional? Tempe?

Ardmore_Sooner
5/26/2008, 11:58 AM
Sad thing is, some people on here still won't be satisfied. They will still be calling for heads regardless of the good news.

SOONER STEAKER
5/26/2008, 12:27 PM
I'm glad were in but it only guarantees us another year of SG.

I just learned that Steve Smith of Baylor will resign his HC spot and is the top candidate at his alma mater of Mississippi State University.

TUSooner
5/26/2008, 12:42 PM
Exactly what I thought about Tulane. They finished the year like they were sneaking out of a revival meeting. But they' still made it.

5/26/2008, 12:47 PM
Baseball works in mysterious ways.

Here's to hoping all of the firing talk turns up premature.

badger
5/26/2008, 12:56 PM
http://images.elfwood.com/art/e/n/envy/holy_carp.jpg
CARP HOLY!

Sad thing is, some people on here still won't be satisfied. They will still be calling for heads regardless of the good news.

Nah, I will stick with my original statement that one more win, whether it be in the Big 12 tourney or postseason that this season will be a success. I made this statement before the OU-Texas game... which was an almost-win.

Considering the almost-win, I will credit Sunny with an "almost." One more "almost" can equal a full win... I guess. Wow, that would never fly in football :rolleyes:

Tempe Regional
Arizona State Sun Devils Tempe, AZ 45-11 16-8 (1st Pac-10) Automatic

Vanderbilt Commodores Nashville, TN 40-20 15-14 (4th SEC East) At Large

Oklahoma Sooners Norman, OK 34-24 9-17 (8th Big 12) At Large

Stony Brook Seawolves Stony Brook, NY 34-24 14-10 (2nd AmEast) Automatic
---

There are 16 sites with four teams each. Doing the math, this is equal to college basketball's field of 64... kind of. I think trying to make up a bracket would be kind of a jumbled mess.
"OU wins!" "So, OU advances?" "Um, not exactly." "Why not?" "They need to win more." "More wins?" "And hope the others don't have as many wins." "So then, if they have the most wins, they meet up with their next round opponent on the opposite side of the field?" "Um... not really." "ORLY?" "No, Not RLY."

As such, the NCAA makes up a bracket that really doesn't even look like a bracket remotely (http://www.ncaa-baseball.com/regionals2008.htm).

In any event, go baseball. I really would rather our team be successful than Sunny get fired, for the record. Sunny hasn't done anything terrible that really reflects badly on OU, and I'm sure if he did, Joe C. and Co. would push him out the same way they did with KS, regardless of success.

So, be successful, Sooner baseball. You've been given an unexpected blessing. Make the most of it.

Boomer.....
5/26/2008, 01:01 PM
Crazy! I thought just about everyone wrote us off.

tommieharris91
5/26/2008, 01:05 PM
The debate now is that we took the spot from 2-time defending champ Oregon State.

GoTheDistance
5/26/2008, 01:15 PM
:pop: WOOOOO! HOOOOOO! Man, I am pumped for the heartbreakin' Sooners! They deserve this. Last year's Sooners got screwed out of regionals. So, I'm glad the committee was payin attention at our tourney when we did just about everything you could ask of a team to show they deserved a bid! Anybody know of any special air fares for this tournament, get the info on here QUICK! I WANNA GO! (But, you are right, Steaker. The backstabbin SG looks safe for a year.) BOOMER!

SOONER STEAKER
5/26/2008, 01:20 PM
Baylor finishes 6th in the Big 12 and gets left out of the tourney.

Maybe OU will go after Baylor hitting coach and Texas HS recruiting GURU Mitch Thompson. Mitch could really help out our hitters since SG isn't doing a very good job!!

Eielson
5/26/2008, 01:26 PM
SG isn't doing a very good job!!

I think I'll go nuts if you say one more bad thing about SG.

r5TPsooner
5/26/2008, 01:30 PM

I'm all for giving Sonny another year to see what the guys can do. However, it's nice to have a program where we want/expect more than mediocrity in our HC and our baseball team.

Eielson
5/26/2008, 01:39 PM
I'm all for giving Sonny another year to see what the guys can do. However, it's nice to have a program where we want/expect more than mediocrity in our HC and our baseball team.

He turned it around at the end of the season the first year and we made the tournament. The next season we nearly beat one of the best teams in the country in a super regional. This season we made the tournament even without our ace for most the season. I'm fine with that, he hasn't been here very long.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/26/2008, 01:53 PM
He turned it around at the end of the season the first year and we made the tournament. The next season we nearly beat one of the best teams in the country in a super regional. This season we made the tournament even without our ace for most the season. I'm fine with that, he hasn't been here very long.

Shhhhh.... don't talk any reason.

Jay C. Upchurch
5/26/2008, 02:08 PM
NORMAN -- The Oklahoma Sooners (34-24-1) will play in their 31st NCAA Tournament next week in the Tempe Regional against Arizona State, Vanderbilt and Stony Brook. OU is a three seed and will start the tournament against the No. 2 seed Vanderbilt (40-20) in Tempe, Ariz.

Each of the four-team, double-elimination regionals will be played May 30 - June 2. The winners of each regional will advance to the super regional round June 6-8.

The 2008 tournament appearance will the be the fourth in the last five years for Oklahoma and the first since winning the 2006 Norman Regional over Wichita State.

“We are very excited to be back in the NCAA Tournament and playing in what looks to be a very tough regional,” “We will continue to work like we have in the past week to keep our season going. The coaches and players are excited to start preparing for this weekend and getting out to Arizona.”

The Commodores, the defending 2007 SEC Champions, were eliminated in the conference semifinals in 2008 by Ole Miss. Vanderbilt enters the tournament ranked No. 22 in this week’s coaches poll.

The other first-round match-up pits host Arizona State (45-11) vs. Stony Brook (34-24).

Arizona State is the top seed in the regional and Stony Brook enters the tourney at No. 4. Stony Brook is an automatic qualifier after winning the America East Tournament for the second time in the last five years. Arizona State, the nation’s No. 3 overall seed, will be hosting its second consecutive regional and the third in the past four years.

The Sooners were one of five at-large bids from the Big 12 Conference as Texas A&M, Missouri, Nebraska and Oklahoma State were selected along with Texas, which earned the automatic bid Sunday’s Big 12 Championship game.

OU finished last week in the Big 12 Championship one win away from playing for its fourth conference tournament title after losing to eventual champion, Texas, but recorded wins over two top ten teams in Texas A&M and Missouri.

In its last appearance in the NCAA Tournament, OU was seeded first and advanced to the program’s first Super Regional against Rice. The Sooners split the first two games with the No. 1 Owls in Houston and lost the finale despite leading after five innings.

The winner of the Tempe Regional advances to meet the winner of the Long Beach Regional in super regional action. The four teams in that regional include Long Beach State, San Diego, California and Fresno State.

For more information on OU baseball, including ticket information for this weekend’s games, visit www.SoonerSports.com.

OU SID Report

Collier11
5/26/2008, 03:22 PM
The debate now is that we took the spot from 2-time defending champ Oregon State.

they were something like 4 games over 500. if I recall and we beat baylor 2 out of 3

Eielson
5/26/2008, 05:33 PM
I think that Oregon State should fire their coach.

SoonerShark
5/26/2008, 05:41 PM
we beat baylor 2 out of 3

And we beat KSU 2 out of 3. Had KSU beaten UT we would not have made it. 5 teams deserved to be in, plus us I suppose, and we beat the number 1, 2 and 4 seeds in the conference this last week.

Jay C. Upchurch
5/26/2008, 05:49 PM
WEEKEND SCHEDULE
(Central Standard times listed)

Friday, May 30
Game 1 - Oklahoma (visitor) vs. Vanderbilt (home) - 3 p.m.
Game 2 - Stony Brook (visitor) vs. Arizona St. (home) - 8 p.m.

Saturday, May 31
Game 3 - Loser game 1 vs. Loser game 2 - 3 p.m.
Game 4 - Winner game 1 vs. winner game 2 - 8 p.m.

Sunday, June 1
Game 5 - Loser game 4 vs. Winner game 3 - 2 p.m.
Game 6 - Winner game 4 vs. Winner game 5 - 7 p.m.

Monday, June 2
Game 7 - Winner game 6 vs. Loser game 6 - 7 p.m.

stoopified
5/26/2008, 05:53 PM
The deathof this years baseball team has been greatly exaggerrated.

Big Red Ron
5/26/2008, 06:04 PM
Boomer effin
Sooner

bitches

Soonerus
5/26/2008, 06:13 PM
I guess beating OSU,TAMU, and Mizzou consecutively followed by a "should've beaten" Texsas gets attention in the college baseball world !!! CONGRATULATIONS SOONERS !!!!!!!!!

TopDawg
5/26/2008, 11:51 PM
wow

cool

badger
5/27/2008, 04:31 PM
The deathof this years baseball team has been greatly exaggerrated.

I hate to be debbie downer, but I'm not sure making the college baseball postseason is reason to ease the Sunny pressure yet. Is the college postseason really a feat of epic proportions, a la NCAA March Madness, or is it more a feat a la college bowl season, or a la NIT/CBI tourneys?

Granted, I attended the CBI tourney in Tulsa and I loved it. Lots of fun. But, at the same time, I had a harrassing colleague bring me back to reality that perhaps bragging rights weren't that justified.

For example, OU finished eighth in the Big 12. When you take into account that Iowa State (discontinued in 2001) and Colorado (discontinued in 1980) don't even HAVE baseball teams, you have to wonder why a conference had #8 of 10 in. I believe the SEC is in a similar boat, except that they had their ninth place Arkansas in as well... for a total of nine invites.

Big 12=awesome? Yes, but not that awesome.

That is why, once again, I will need to see proof that we belong more than "Top 64" at this stage. We need to have at least an "almost-win" in the postseason, preferrably a win-win. We're a championship program here at OU (no, 1994 is not that long ago) and as a spoiled Sooner, I want us to win!

Note: This does not mean that I want us to win by cutting corners, paying off athletes or bribing umpires. I want to win, but I want to win the right way, and the right way is by following the rules, hard work and good role models and teachers as our coaching staff.

Note 2: Just because I'm semi-critical of Sunny doesn't mean I don't love the Sooners. Boomer Sooner!

Note 3: Just because I'm critical of the bragging rights that should or should not go with the college postseason does not mean I'm not excited about the potential for this season. Go baseball!

Note 4: "Almost-win" can be defined as a loss by two runs or less. "Win-win" can be defined as an actual win.
:pop:

TopDawg
5/27/2008, 04:57 PM
If we have a 1 run lead with 2 outs in the ninth and an 0-2 count and then give up a game-winning grand slam, does that still count as an "almost-win." We were just 1 strike away from winning, but we lost by 3 runs.

badger
5/27/2008, 05:49 PM
If we have a 1 run lead with 2 outs in the ninth and an 0-2 count and then give up a game-winning grand slam, does that still count as an "almost-win." We were just 1 strike away from winning, but we lost by 3 runs.

Sorry, my message board limits me to attachments of four notes or less. We really need to define "almost wins," just so there is no dispute.

"In the ninth inning, OU should be within two runs at any time during the ninth inning."

Is this a fair and accurate "almost-win" and does this satisfy all?

TopDawg
5/27/2008, 05:59 PM
I can live with that.

C&CDean
5/28/2008, 05:14 PM
For a minute there I thought I was on osuags.com.

badger
5/28/2008, 06:03 PM
For a minute there I thought I was on osuags.com.

Like I said, it wouldn't fly in football, but because it's largely been a rebuilding year, I can live with us having a strong showing in the postseason, even if it doesn't bring a few wins.