PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Lest We Forget

Okla-homey
5/26/2008, 09:49 AM
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/315/tomboftheunknownsbi1.jpg

Here's a listing of 16 Oklahomans who gave their "last full measure of devotion" since last Memorial Day. Take a moment today to remember their loved ones who are no doubt feeling their loss today with a bittersweet mixture of sadness and pride.

Marine Cpl. Jeremy Allbaugh, 21, Luther. Killed July 5, 2007. "I just talked to him Tuesday before this happened. I asked him how the Iraqi people treated them, and he said, 'They treat us great. They appreciate what we do.' "

Army Spc. William Elliott Allmon, 25, Ardmore. Killed April 12, 2008. "He loved to play outdoors with his son and stepson, and in his spare time he enjoyed computer games, Internet and watching movies."

Staff Sgt. Jason L. Brown, 29, Cartwright. Killed April 17, 2008. "His Baby Girl will surely miss her Daddy. Now when she sleeps at night he will be her 'Dream Angel.' " (Legacy.com)

Army Staff Sgt. Kevin Brown, 38, Harrah. Killed Sept. 25, 2007. A career Army man, he was one year away from retirement. He was looking forward to it, "so he could be with his family forever."

Army Spc. Derek A. Calhoun, 23, Oklahoma City. Killed June 23, 2007. He was to have come home in May. It was changed to June, and the last word his family had was that the soldier was to have returned home in July.

Pvt. Cody Montana Carver, 19, Haskell. Killed Oct. 30, 2007. Carver's family has said he was killed a little more than a month after deployment.

Army Staff Sgt. Chris Hake, 26, Enid. Killed March 23, 2008. "He fought in life, ... but he won in death."

Army Pfc. Jaron D. Holliday, 21, Broken Arrow. Killed Aug. 4, 2007. Looking down on the flag-draped coffin, John Holliday said, "Son, you did a good thing. You did good."

Army Sgt. 1st Class Jeffrey D. Kettle, 31, Madill. Killed Aug. 12, 2007. Jeffrey Kettle loved the outdoors and would hunt squirrels when he visited his uncle. "He was a fun-loving kid growing up."

Army Pfc. Thomas R. Leemhuis, 23, Binger. Killed June 21, 2007. Photos depicted him as a brown-eyed boy who peered out to the crowd clutching a Christmas present. A young boy poses in a basketball uniform. A high school graduate sports a grin.

Army Capt. Torre R. Mallard, 27, Oklahoma. Killed March 10, 2008. His grandfather described him as the "finest young man in the world." He graduated from West Point.

Army Spc. Michael E. Phillips, 19, Ardmore. Killed Feb. 24, 2008. "I'm doing this for my family, for you, for everyone, for America, to protect it from the bad guys."

Army Staff Sgt. William D. Scates, 31, Oklahoma City. Killed Aug. 11, 2007. It was his third tour in Iraq and his fourth tour in the Army. "When he was a little boy, he was always drawing pictures of soldiers. That's all he ever wanted to be."

Marine Cpl. Bryan J. Scripsick, 22, Wayne. Killed Sept. 6, 2007. Bryan apparently didn't let himself dwell on thoughts of death. His mantra: "Have Fun, Stay Young."

Army Pfc. Jerimiah J. Veitch, 21, Dibble. Killed June 21, 2007. "He was always the clown. He loved to laugh and wanted everyone else around him to laugh."

Army Sgt. Ryan M. Wood, 22, Oklahoma City. Killed June 21, 2007. "Josh ... is so proud to have you as a friend, brother and angel looking down over him." (Legacy.com.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manny Gamallo, Rhett Morgan, Barbara Hoberock and Jeff Billington contributed to this story.
By RUSTY LANG World Staff Writer

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1829/memorialday2mz6.jpg

Turd_Ferguson
5/26/2008, 09:53 AM
God bless them all. Good post as usual Homey.

Chuck Bao
5/26/2008, 10:13 AM
Thank you, Homey. I did the search for the young man from Madill on your list and I got a chance to thank his family. I really appreciate that opportunity. I wouldn't have otherwise.

85Sooner
5/26/2008, 10:19 AM
God Bless them and their families.

TUSooner
5/26/2008, 11:27 AM
God Bless 'em all, from the 1700s 'til today.

StoopTroup
5/26/2008, 11:29 AM
IN and Done Homey.

Yet again...another great Good Morning Thread.

SPEK

OKC-SLC
5/26/2008, 11:34 AM
definitely

TUSooner
5/26/2008, 12:23 PM
I just want to remind everyone again that today is Memorial Day. Today is not Veterans' Day, or the 4th of July, or Flag Day.

You can - and should - thank and honor the veterans and patriots every other day, but
MEMORIAL DAY is consecrated to honor those who DIED for this country. As Abe Lincoln (and Homey) put it, they gave "the last full measure of devotion." As war's survivors tend to say: "It's the one's who didn't come home who are the real heroes." I'm sure olevet knows what I'm talking about better than I do.

It's never bad to thank veterans (of which I am one, though the most unworthy of thanks). But give Memorial Day totally and exclusively to those who made the ultimate sacrifice. They gave up all the rest of their days for you, is it too petty to aks that you devote a single day just to them?

Today is Memorial Day.

Rogue
5/26/2008, 12:35 PM
TUS is right.