Eielson
5/24/2008, 07:37 PM
I think he gets another year.

Eielson
5/24/2008, 07:37 PM
oops

SOONER STEAKER
5/25/2008, 09:13 PM
Yes, SG should be replaced. He has done very little for this program since his return.

olevetonahill
5/25/2008, 09:48 PM
I know nuthing about BB
shoulda been a Just give me My Vcash option :P

Jay C. Upchurch
5/25/2008, 09:51 PM
He is definitely back for at least another season. Three seasons is not enough of a measuring stick in college baseball when rosters change so frequently. If the Galloway and the Sooners would have had their ace, Stephen Porlier, they probably would have finished top 3-4 in the conference by winning 6-8 more games this season. Porlier will be back next season when OU has all but three everyday starters back and almost its entire pitching staff.

Sorry to disappoint some of you, but there is absolutely no chance Galloway is not back next season.

Sooner24
5/25/2008, 11:22 PM
He is definitely back for at least another season. Three seasons is not enough of a measuring stick in college baseball when rosters change so frequently. If the Galloway and the Sooners would have had their ace, Stephen Porlier, they probably would have finished top 3-4 in the conference by winning 6-8 more games this season. Porlier will be back next season when OU has all but three everyday starters back and almost its entire pitching staff.

Sorry to disappoint some of you, but there is absolutely no chance Galloway is not back next season.

Doesn't disappoint me. I think he should be back for another year.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/25/2008, 11:31 PM

Not disappointing me! He deserves another year.

Eielson
5/25/2008, 11:34 PM
Porlier will be back next season when OU has all but three everyday starters back and almost its entire pitching staff.

Gosse, Davis, and who else aren't coming back?

Jay C. Upchurch
5/26/2008, 12:09 AM
I was thinking J.T. Wise is a senior, but I checked the roster and he is only a junior... so they will lose only two everyday players...

Ardmore_Sooner
5/26/2008, 11:59 AM
Yes, SG should be replaced. He has done very little for this program since his return.

Do you fire a coach that made the tourny 3 of 4 years?

Collier11
5/26/2008, 03:20 PM
Say what you will about his character, the guy wins...despite the midseason and late season struggles we ended strong again and beat alot of ranked teams this yr...lets see what he does with a full pitching staff next yr

BoomerJack
5/27/2008, 09:37 AM
I believe next year is the last on the contract. Let's see how '09 goes.

But as far as speculating on who's coming back from this year's roster, I won't do that. It seems that there are always a few guys expected back who decide to turn pro in June or transfer or whatever. I have come to never count on who's on the roster until the season opener.

GoTheDistance
5/27/2008, 02:37 PM
Well, here is your list of 7 seniors for starters who won't be back for sure.
Mike Gosse 2nd base Starter
AlJay Davis CF Starter
Ryan Mottern RHP/sometime DH/5 yr Sooner/starter at one time
Jared Freeman DH/used more recently/great hitter
Jake McCarter RHP/Closer/juco transfer
Zach Sawyer LHP/not used/juco transfer
Drew Roberts INF/not used/juco transfer

The following are listed on the roster as juniors and should be eligible for draft.
Matt Haraughty 3rd base Starter Lately/juco transfer
Trey Sperring inf/juco transfer
JT Wise catcher/starter/transfer
CJ Blue LHP/juco transfer
Doug Buser OF late inning sub/juco transfer
Stephen Porlier RHP//Injury redshirt/age eligible

Vegas Sooner
5/27/2008, 10:49 PM
one more year.

tulsaoilerfan
5/27/2008, 10:54 PM
Not a big fan of his, but he does deserve at least one more year

badger
5/28/2008, 09:03 AM
Yeah, I voted for "Yep" anticipating the end of the season last week, but after our fight against Texas, a top baseball program, I would like to change my vote... provided we don't embarrass ourselves in the tournament.

badger
6/2/2008, 09:05 AM
Ok guys,

I set my expectations low. All I wanted was an almost-win and I would have been happy. Some may think that's aggie-like expectations, but hey, look where the aggies are this year in baseball :rolleyes:

As such, I withdraw my vote to oust Sunny Galloway. Even if his name is really Sonny like that Coocoo for Coco Puffs character, even if his daughter is a Playboy posing aggie, even if last year's version of this thread is the top-viewed Sunny-related thing on the Web right now, I had set the bar and they met and exceeded said bar.

I know hardly anything about college baseball, but I do know that injuries to star players (especially pitchers) can effect overall records. I also know that making the field of 64 postseason is easier than in basketball, so I just wanted the Sooners to show that they belonged and that the at-large bid wasn't a fluke. They proved that by beating Vanderbilt this weekend.

As such, good job Sooner baseball on a successful season. I promise to try to make the Tulsa game this next year. No reason Driller Stadium shouldn't be 75 percent orange instead of 76 percent ;)

SoonerStormchaser
6/2/2008, 09:27 AM
I'll still stick by my original vote. IMO, what happened at the end of the season/tournaments was a team rallying around each other more than a coach finally living up to expectation. And I really don't foresee it getting better next season.

But I see your point badger.

Collier11
6/2/2008, 10:24 AM
I'll still stick by my original vote. IMO, what happened at the end of the season/tournaments was a team rallying around each other more than a coach finally living up to expectation. And I really don't foresee it getting better next season.

barring any transfers or players leaving for the draft that shouldnt, we return about 90% of our starters...I would reserve judgment til next yr...he has still been to the tourney 3 out of 4 yrs, everys season except last yr he has led a late season rally so I would give Sonny some credit, and he has gotten us to a regional Championship and a Super Regional game 3 already

badger
6/2/2008, 11:22 AM
I think this is worth discussing further (seeing how football is still months away, argh).

Here are several things that I would contend...

1- A school of OU's calibur should be in the postseason every year.
Why: A field of 64 teams in a non-revenue sports is practically designed for big-name school success. 11 scholarships (don't correct me by saying it's 11.7 or whatever, I'm not into specifics when it comes to baseball, which has too many specifics as is) is tough for small Div. 1 schools, but should not be tough for schools that have a state program like OHLAP to fall back on, not to mention a big recruiting base in Texas and fairly low tuition compared to other schools, not to mention increased resources for other types of scholarships. So what if T. Boone donated $100 million... our donors topped that for scholarships alone!

2- Therefore, a successful season must include something more than a postseason appearance.
Why: An eighth place finish in a 10-team conference (need I remind you that ISU and CU do not have teams? no, didn't think so) is not something to brag about. However, wins over top teams and making late runs in the Big 12 is good, and a postseason win is also good. Making the postseason is simply not something to put on your resume at a program like Oklahoma, in a conference like the Big 12 (which, I remind you, is actually 10 in baseball).

3- An OU coach's responsibility is to exceed expectations on an annual basis.
Why: You are allowed to have one off-year every four or five years, not every other year when you have such resources at your disposal like you do at OU. We had a volleyball coach a few years back from Hawaii that was kicked to the curb because of four years of losing. If we expect better out of volleyball, a sport that we have NEVER had championships in, we should expect more out of baseball. This means continued success and continuous invites to the Big 12/10 tournament, as well as the postseason tournament. Off-years should be few and far between.

4- Recruiting should be on the same level as our non-Texas (UT)conference foes.
Why: Non-Texas, as in "not Texas, not UT." We should be able to match recruiting with in-state OSU, with Texas A&M, with all our conference opponents, except Texas itself, because UT is a powerhouse in baseball and to match them would be grounds for a huge contract extension. I say that we should be expected to match everyone else in-conference, because we are as good and better than everyone else.

5- A non-successful year is anything less than postseason play.
Why: If we aren't being mentioned for the postseason, with our success in the past and our competitive recruiting, than the coaching staff is not doing its job. Postseason should not be a goal, it should be a given at the University of Oklahoma. We should not "squeak" into anything, unless its the College World Series. The talk about squeaking into the Big 12 tournament or the postseason should be a red flag for baseball fans. Something went wrong this year and it must be correctly before next.

Now, as a non-baseball expert, that's my two cents. What do you baseball experts think of my expectations? Am I out of my mind? Am I being too aggie? Thoughts?

stoops the eternal pimp
6/2/2008, 12:44 PM
A stat was brought up in the other thread that 67 of his 120+ wins were after the Sooners were losing...Thats nice but I guess you could look at the other way in that they have trailed in a whole lot of games they have played and have had to come from behind in way too many games....But I don't know anything about the baseball team so my opinion is not worth much

Collier11
6/2/2008, 12:50 PM
I would Grade Sonny this way...

OUt of Conference: B+ we play several big names every year and have held our own, beat most of the teams we should beat

Conf: C- we have struggled in conf under Golloway the past two years but finished 3rd in 06 and rallied for a winning record when he took over in 05 after being 4 games under when Cochell got fired

Postseason: B Made it to tourney twice when we werent supposed to, made a nice run to Regional Final this yr and Super Regional game 3 in 06

Recruiting: B Has had very high ranked classes, we will see how all this returning talent has developed next yr. Next yr we should be really good

Overall I would say C+ with next yr being a huge yr to prove how good of a coach he really is. Our bullpen has got to get alot better though if we have any shot at the Conf Title

Eielson
6/2/2008, 01:20 PM

If the team was having a great season and then fell apart at the end you would have said it was the coaches fault. Now, with the team doing great at the end, you're going to say that it was because of teh player. If you want the coach fired you will always be able to come up with something. From being on quite a few teams, when we quickly go from good to bad, or bad to good, there are always reasons that people come up with. Almost all the time, the people guessing are wrong.

Anyway, we ended the season almost identically to OSU once they lost their ace. We had to go through the loser's bracket and we both one by 1 run...last run being a homer after blowing a lead from what I understand. Then we lost for the second time to the top seeded team other than us. We lost worse in that game, but we were playing a higher seed in both games.

So does that mean that we could have been a national seed if we had Porlier all season? Maybe we wouldn't have been a national seed, but we could have been a top seed in our regional.

Eielson
6/2/2008, 01:23 PM
A stat was brought up in the other thread that 67 of his 120+ wins were after the Sooners were losing...Thats nice but I guess you could look at the other way in that they have trailed in a whole lot of games they have played and have had to come from behind in way too many games....But I don't know anything about the baseball team so my opinion is not worth much

You either have to give him credit for all those comebacks as a coach, or as a recruiter.

GoTheDistance
6/2/2008, 02:45 PM
You either have to give him credit for all those comebacks as a coach, or as a recruiter.

Tim Tadlock gets the credit as an ace recruiter. He's a class act.:pop:

Eielson
6/2/2008, 03:42 PM
Tim Tadlock gets the credit as an ace recruiter. He's a class act.:pop:

Okay, so he has nothing to do with recruiting, winning, or playing well. However, he has everything to do with losing. I understand now.

GoTheDistance
6/2/2008, 04:19 PM
Okay, so he has nothing to do with recruiting, winning, or playing well. However, he has everything to do with losing. I understand now.

Eielson, now you are doing what I was doing yesterday - jumping to conclusions. I told you that I wouldn't diss your boy and I am NOT. (It's killin me. But give me credit for restraining myself.) But I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing out that he's got a great recruiter in Tim Tadlock. I did not say that Sonny doesn't recruit. But the entire point in having a recruiting coordinator is to have him do much of the groundwork before bringing prospects in. And that is why having a very competent, likable recruiting coordinator is extremely important. IMO In the three years that Tadlock has been at OU, he has brought in Top Ten recruiting classes. And that speaks well of him. :hot: :pop:

Lott's Bandana
6/2/2008, 04:42 PM
I see similarities between Mack the B and Sonny the G. Both recruit talent. Both seem to completely fail in the development of their players. Both fellas teams rally and do well at the end of seasons, based mostly on talent focusing on the moment.

I'm tired of horrendous bunting, botched hit and runs and getting behind by a touchdown in the first inning.

Having said that, if Joe the C gives him one more year, I can and will respect that decision. After all, the Regents pay Joe for his opinion, I pay this forum to support airing mine!

stoops the eternal pimp
6/2/2008, 05:37 PM

I see what your saying...but it just seems there is a problem when your team has to play from behind so much..

Eielson
6/2/2008, 06:46 PM
Eielson, now you are doing what I was doing yesterday - jumping to conclusions. I told you that I wouldn't diss your boy and I am NOT. (It's killin me. But give me credit for restraining myself.) But I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing out that he's got a great recruiter in Tim Tadlock. I did not say that Sonny doesn't recruit. But the entire point in having a recruiting coordinator is to have him do much of the groundwork before bringing prospects in. And that is why having a very competent, likable recruiting coordinator is extremely important. IMO In the three years that Tadlock has been at OU, he has brought in Top Ten recruiting classes. And that speaks well of him. :hot: :pop:

I'm just saying that some people on here don't want to give him credit for anything.

Eielson
6/2/2008, 06:51 PM
I see what your saying...but it just seems there is a problem when your team has to play from behind so much..

Yeah, it does. There is some bad and there is some good, but I'm not sure that either outweighs the other.

What exactly defines a come from behind win? I mean, in basketball almost every win would be a come from behind win because you very rarely are leading for the whole game.

SleestakSooner
6/2/2008, 10:50 PM
Yeah, it does. There is some bad and there is some good, but I'm not sure that either outweighs the other.

What exactly defines a come from behind win? I mean, in basketball almost every win would be a come from behind win because you very rarely are leading for the whole game.

From what I heard that stat was for any game in which the Sooners were down by a run at any point of the game. College baseball is not like the majors. The pitching is generally not as good and the scores are higher. So it is real easy to get behind, no matter who you are playing. I see it as a HUGE positive that the Sunny's teams have been able to battle back so often.

kbsooner21
6/3/2008, 01:19 AM
At least I know he spells his name Sunny after this season :D

badger
6/3/2008, 09:49 AM
At least I know he spells his name Sunny after this season :D

that's about all I learned too :D When these discussions first started during the OU-osu badlem weekend, I was still calling him Sonny like that Coco Puffs bird :cool:

Oh, and for the record, this is what Sunny deserves credit for this season...

1- Assembling the team.
Why: Without Sunny, many of these players would likely not be at OU... a different coach may not recruit Texas so hard, but recruit to California (Cochell) or in-state talent (whoever OSU's coach is). I am not faulting him for recruiting Texas, it's just his style and for that reason, we have the team that we do.

2- Motivating the players to win the games that they did.
Why: Sure, credit the players also for coming up with the wins, but it would be wrong to not give any credit to Sunny and his assistants.

3- Baserunning and hitting.
Why: Um, cuz the coaches give signals to the players when they're on offense?

Ok, the rest is up for grabs. :pop:

DeadSolidPerfect
6/6/2008, 04:23 PM
Gene Stephenson should be the head coach of this baseball team and we should be well on our way to kicking the crap out of the big 12.

I'm drunk.

Bone
6/6/2008, 04:29 PM
1. Don't care about baseball.
2. I think contracts should be stuck to. OU owes him a year.

Big Red Ron
6/8/2008, 10:25 PM
I heard we had a SS get drafted in th 2nd round from HS, I guess if you get drafted that high, you go play MLB.

Collier11
6/8/2008, 11:00 PM
Heres the one thing I would ask anyone who doesnt like SG cus of his "character" which we hear alot, how does he continue to get some of the best recruiting classes in the country if he is such a horrible person? Im not saying he isnt a prick, just wondering how that happens

Big Red Ron
6/8/2008, 11:02 PM
Heres the one thing I would ask anyone who doesnt like SG cus of his "character" which we hear alot, how does he continue to get some of the best recruiting classes in the country if he is such a horrible person? Im not saying he isnt a prick, just wondering how that happens
Dude, people that don't like Sunney were eaither personally "dissed" by him or don't really know whats going on.

Collier11
6/9/2008, 12:01 AM
thats what I figure but thought I might ask for a few opinions

Vegas Sooner
6/10/2008, 02:53 AM
....can we start this again next year?

dedsa1960
6/15/2008, 03:17 PM
I was talking to a friend in Japan. He was telling me something about one of current baseball coaches daughter was in a magazine. She used a fictitious name to cover it up.

Does anyone know about this or is this fiction.

This is a edit. Found it on Google. But it appears to be old news.

Collier11
6/15/2008, 03:29 PM
very old news but very hot as well

badger
6/16/2008, 08:13 AM
I was talking to a friend in Japan. He was telling me something about one of current baseball coaches daughter was in a magazine. She used a fictitious name to cover it up.

Does anyone know about this or is this fiction.

This is a edit. Found it on Google. But it appears to be old news.

Someone PM'd me on this. If you really want to view Sunny's OSU daughter, google "Sunny Galloway" and voila! You will see...

1- The original "Sunny must go" thread from Soonerfans.com

2- A bunch of "OMG OU BBALL COACH DAUGHTER AT OSU AND IN PLAYBOY!"

Amazingly, people were equally shocked at the fact she was attending OSU as they were that she was in Playboy.

Big Red Ron
6/16/2008, 06:23 PM
Someone PM'd me on this. If you really want to view Sunny's OSU daughter, google "Sunny Galloway" and voila! You will see...

1- The original "Sunny must go" thread from Soonerfans.com

2- A bunch of "OMG OU BBALL COACH DAUGHTER AT OSU AND IN PLAYBOY!"

Amazingly, people were equally shocked at the fact she was attending OSU as they were that she was in Playboy.
You people are sick, that's not something you want to google. Not safe for work or famly. DO NOT GOOGLE THAT CRAP!!!!

Big Red Ron
6/16/2008, 06:25 PM
BTW, my wife is 10X hotter than that. Do not risk a virus on that just peem me and I'll shooot you some pics.
;)

badger
6/16/2008, 07:06 PM
You people are sick, that's not something you want to google. Not safe for work or famly. DO NOT GOOGLE THAT CRAP!!!!

I googled Sunny Galloway because I was trying to figure out if OU could hire a better could or keep him... that's when I discovered the Playboy thing.

Eielson
6/19/2008, 07:03 AM

The first one is obviously the more sick and perverted one.

stoopified
2/27/2009, 05:34 PM
Do you fire a coach that made the tourny 3 of 4 years?Exactly what I was wondering.Calloway hasn't led us to great Big 12 finishes but has been sucessful in NCAA.I would like to see improvement indeed BUT have witnessed nothing that would warrant firing Sunny.The latter years of the Semore reign were less than memrable,Meeks was a non-producer,Cochell seemed to drop off after 1994's NC.I'm willing to be patient.

SOONER STEAKER
3/11/2009, 09:29 AM
UCLA proved to be a not so good team. We beat the Houston Baptists, Arkansas Little Rock's and the Western Illinois of the baseball sub-division.

Let's see where SG leads this team playing quality Big 12 teams. I am not convinced that our pitching staff will hold the flood gate of runs in the Big 12.

Collier11
3/11/2009, 10:00 AM
any word on Porlier?

badger
3/11/2009, 11:51 AM
Is this thread still going? Holy cow. Let's lock this one and give people a chance to change their votes, if necessary and start fresh for a new season.

Oh, and googling Sonny Galloway no longer gets you to his daughter, you sickos ;) Rather, it now shows THIS thread instead of the "Sonny Must Go" thread.

SOONER STEAKER
3/11/2009, 09:10 PM
When I Googled SG's name, it had a picture of Donald Trump with the caption, "YOUR FIRED!" :D

GoTheDistance
3/16/2009, 11:13 PM
:pop: Hilarious, Steaker! :D