PDA

View Full Version : Big XII Tourney: What would have kept us out of championship game...

SoonerShark
5/24/2008, 05:33 PM
if Missouri, UT and OU were all 2-1 in the tournament if UM had beaten A&M today?. The stories on the web read that "The loss eliminated Oklahoma from the tournament. The Longhorns need a win from Texas A&M against Missouri to advance to the championship game on Sunday." I know A&M beat Missouri in the game after ours so UT would go to the championship because it beat us head-t0-head, 11-10. But if UM had beaten A&M, UM, UT and OU would all have been 2-1 with us beating UM, UT beating us, and UM beating UT. It would seem under that three teams at 2-1 contingency that we would have as much a claim as UT or UM. I know only one can make it, but why UT or UM over us in a three way tie?

Norman Sooner
5/24/2008, 05:55 PM
It is to my understanding that if there is a three way tie, the highest conference seed entering the tournament would advance. Thus OU is 2-1, Texas is 2-1 and Mizzou is 1-1. If Mizzou wins, they too would be 2-1 and thus advance since they are the highest seed.

SoonerShark
5/24/2008, 08:47 PM
It is to my understanding that if there is a three way tie, the highest conference seed entering the tournament would advance. Thus OU is 2-1, Texas is 2-1 and Mizzou is 1-1. If Mizzou wins, they too would be 2-1 and thus advance since they are the highest seed.

That's what I logically thought it would be. The regular season should count for something. It detracts from some things in the tournament, however. If UM had beaten us and if we had beaten UT and A&M, and if UT had beaten UM and A&M and lost to us, and if UM had beaten us and lost to A&M and UT, would we have gone to the finals or UT since they were seeded higher? Did head-to-head or the highest seed matter in the the tourney hierarchy of determination who made the finals?

Let's see, tomorrow if osY? and UT are playing, who do we root for? osY? is the king of the minor sports, winning conference championships in sports that few people not named BaBoone Pickens notice, like golf, wrestling and college baseball, and Texas has been so good in baseball over the years, so I will pull for a rain out.

SoonerShark
5/24/2008, 09:09 PM
It is sad that we beat the number 1 and number 4 seeds and osY? beats the number 3 and number 6 seeds and loses to the number 7 seed and they make the finals. UT beat the number 1 and number 8 seeds and makes the finals. Let's see...we won over teams averaging being the 2.5 seed ((1+4)/2=2.5). osY? posts wins averaging beating the number 4.5 seeds ((3+6)/2=4.5). UT also averages beating teams with a 4.5 seed ((1+8)/2=4.5).

SoonerShark
5/24/2008, 09:24 PM
Of course, if KSU beats Baylor, they would have beaten osY? head-to-head and would have beaten the number 2 and number 6 seeds for a 4.0 seed win average.

SoonerShark
5/24/2008, 11:33 PM
Head-to-head in a two team tie must win out since a story about osY? today read that they are awaiting the results of tonight's game and need a Baylor win.

Eielson
5/25/2008, 12:35 AM
Yeah, nobody likes this tournament.

tulsaoilerfan
5/25/2008, 02:11 AM
Why do they do pool play? Should just do a straight double elimination tourney and that would be the fairest way to do it

SoonerShark
5/25/2008, 07:51 AM
I suppose we need to root for UT over KSU Sunday. KSU would get an automatic berth if it wins, but it won't be in the NCAA as an at-large team . We probably won't be in as an at-large, but UT would if it loses against KSU. We are competing against KSU for a slot. Our historic baseball strength would help us only if KSU gets in as tourney champion, though an at-large is too much to ask right now since we only won 8 games in conference this year.

OSUAggie
5/25/2008, 12:44 PM
Why do they do pool play? Should just do a straight double elimination tourney and that would be the fairest way to do it

To save pitching for what really matters.

GoTheDistance
5/25/2008, 02:59 PM
No, Sooner Shark. We are not competing against KSU for a slot in the NCAAs. We are done. We finished in eighth place out of ten teams. That is OUs reality. At least under the current regime.
I feel for the kids on that team. They left it all on the field all week. They deserved to win yesterday. I still have a crappy taste in my mouth over the way that one ended.

Eielson
5/25/2008, 11:35 PM
Haven't we won the first two games these last two years and then lost the third game by 1?