PDA

View Full Version : To our men and women who served/are serving in the military

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 10:02 AM
Thank you very much. Most of what you have went through or are going through I will never understand. I pray that God will bless you and keep you for what you have done. As I remember my adopted dad who served in WW2, my heart goes out to all who not only lost loved ones in war time, but those who have suffered loss in their families.

This is the first time I was not able to go put the flags out on the veterans stones with my family as it was the day after my surgery, so I m kinda bummed. But at least I was able to send the wife and kids. Watching my 4 year old put that flag over her grandpa's resting place is something I will always remember.

Anyway, thanks for what you 've done/are doing.

SoonerStormchaser
5/23/2008, 10:20 AM
Ya know...it's almost embarrassing to me when people come to me and thank me for my service. Really folks, it's my pleasure...and it truly is a great honor for me to serve you guys...pansy *** liberal or not ;)

badger
5/23/2008, 10:50 AM
Thank you, veterans and active military!

If you are home in Tulsa for Memorial Day, it is free admission to Drillers Stadium on Monday for all active duty military members and veterans (half price for family members). Big Splash, if that's your thing, is also offering military discounts - $5 admission to all family and friends and free admission for our military!

And hey, stormchaser, the pansy *** liberals need protecting more than us bad *** conservatives that will kick your *** if you neglect to read the "don't tread on me" warnings :D

OU-HSV
5/23/2008, 08:15 PM
Ya know...it's almost embarrassing to me when people come to me and thank me for my service. Really folks, it's my pleasure...and it truly is a great honor for me to serve you guys...pansy *** liberal or not ;)
No, what's embarassing is when we have a thread that's posted to thank our military and all day long it only gets 2 replies.
Come on people this is pathetic...Get in here and post...that's the least us normal citizens can do. I mean sh*t!

Thanks to you SSC and all the rest of our brave military who put their lives on the line for our country every day. I'm thankful to know there are so many fine and brave people out there protecting us at home and away.

r5TPsooner
5/23/2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks for keeping my *** safe. I only wish that the corrupt politicians would take tax payer money and compensate you better.

5/23/2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks, dad.

OU-HSV
5/23/2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks for keeping my *** safe. I only wish that the corrupt politicians would take tax payer money and compensate you better.

No joke there

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/23/2008, 09:19 PM
Word.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/23/2008, 09:21 PM
Extra thanks to the veterans who have died in combat, or who have even been in combat or life threatening situations, such as simply being in Iraq. (I was in the Army for 2 yrs., but never was in a true danger zone, since the North Koreans behaved themselves when I was in So Korea)

It is very easy for us to forget, or not appreciate, what so many Americans have gone through to ensure the civilization and freedoms we still enjoy today.

Harry Beanbag
5/23/2008, 10:08 PM
Ditto from me. My grandpa's grave is in Oklahoma, I wish there was somebody there to visit him this weekend.

olevetonahill
5/23/2008, 10:17 PM
Ditto from me. My grandpa's grave is in Oklahoma, I wish there was somebody there to visit him this weekend.

What town ?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 10:24 PM
I d like to help make sure he has a flag at least

LoyalFan
5/23/2008, 10:25 PM
On behalf or my son, US Navy. Ret., my father, US Army, Field Artillery, Ret., Deceased, and myself, US Army, Armored Cavalry, Emeritus, I humbly thank you all for your kind words. Our family is proud to have served the cause of Freedom.

Attention on deck! The drinking lamp is now lit!

LoyalFan
Still jonesin' for my tank.

OU-HSV
5/23/2008, 10:28 PM
On behalf or my son, US Navy. Ret., my father, US Army, Field Artillery, Ret., Deceased, and myself, US Army, Armored Cavalry, Emeritus, I humbly thank you all for your kind words. Our family is proud to have served the cause of Freedom.

LoyalFan

Thank you and your family

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 10:29 PM
Thank you LF and your family

soonerboomer93
5/23/2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks to all those who serve today, and have served.

OKC-SLC
5/23/2008, 10:50 PM
word.

r5TPsooner
5/23/2008, 11:45 PM
I'd also like to thank my father who served in the Air Force and refused to let his only son enlist and go to college instead.

Thanks Dad and may you RIP!

olevetonahill
5/24/2008, 12:00 AM

LoyalFan

Heh . a few yrs Back I found one Of my GGgranpas Headstones . He was in the 4th Arkansas Inf C.S.A.

Tailwind
5/24/2008, 12:08 AM
Much love and appreciation for all the American heroes, living or dead who have helped keep our great country free. No matter where you served, combat of otherwise, you did your part and for that I am humbled and grateful.

Flagstaffsooner
5/24/2008, 12:44 AM
Thanks to all of of people who have served.

A special thanks and a salute to Olvet who served and was wounded in VN.

I love you Brother and salute you with my right hand and hoist a Natty to you with my left.

Ssgt Flagstaff, formerly of OKANG, 205th EIS

AlbqSooner
5/24/2008, 06:35 AM
Thank you very much. Most of what you have went through or are going through I will never understand.

Your thanks are greatly appreciated I can assure you. Those who served in harms way are grateful that your second sentence is true. Of that I can assure you.

Harry Beanbag
5/24/2008, 08:12 AM
What town ?

Edmond

olevetonahill
5/24/2008, 08:14 AM
Edmond

If I was closer Id go But thats a Long way for me .
I bet we have some folks on here that would be proud to go By say a few words and place a flag

Harry Beanbag
5/24/2008, 08:27 AM
I bet we have some folks on here that would be proud to go By say a few words and place a flag

That would be awesome if somebody could do that. He served in Europe in the 79th Infantry Division from France to Czechoslovakia and everything in between including the Battle of the Bulge. He never talked about it though.

Newbomb Turk
5/24/2008, 08:46 AM
thank you to the posters on this board, and all of the amazing people who have served our great country.

to those who paid the ultimate price, thank you and may you rest in peace.

http://foxtrotters.tripod.com/amflag7.gif

OU-HSV
5/24/2008, 11:13 AM

Ditto, wish I was closer to Edmond, I'd go place a flag for ya.

Harry, hopefully as Vet said we have some posters in the Edmond area that could do the honors for you.

r5TPsooner
5/24/2008, 11:21 AM
Can you feel the love on the board today?

Fags!:D ;)

Boomer.....
5/24/2008, 12:03 PM
Thank you all so much!

shaun4411
5/24/2008, 03:07 PM
all thanks be to two large groups of people:

the first group are those that fought their way through the revolutionary war

the second group are the boys who kicked nazi and jap *** in the european and pacific theaters respectively.

for the vietnam vets, it sucks you had to go. glad i wasnt born yet.

id be happy to join the military, but they told me im too fat. so im stuck sitting in an airconditioned office playing on the internet and being paid more for it. =(

olevetonahill
5/24/2008, 10:43 PM
Shawn
Fu ck you also Ok ?
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Dont fuk with Me tonight ok ?
I went I did I survived .
Folks Like you spit on us when we Came home
You suck donkey kong !:mad: :pop:

SteelClip49
5/24/2008, 11:23 PM
I will be in Grant County on Monday with my dad and grandfather (17th Airborne Division, WW2) at a small town cemetery with other veterans dedicating a brand new flag pole along with brand new American and Oklahoma flags. It may not seem like a lot but to be there with my grandfather and his fellow veterans will mean the world. I just hope for some decent weather for the occasion.

Chuck Bao
5/24/2008, 11:38 PM
Shaun, war sucks. Period. Full stop. End of story.

You had quite unfortunate choice of words there and I agree with Olevet's reaction.

You may not agree with the US administration policy of engagment in the Vietnam war and, I accept that.

But, you should always give props to our fine men and women who served there. They did their job and have earned all of our respect for their bravery and especially to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

You have to be sensitive to those who did serve and their families that are terribly resentful of those who say that their sacrifice was in vain. Can you imagine how bad that would hurt?

I may be in a very, very small minority, but I am of the opinion that the front line of the Cold War played out in Southeast Asia was crucial. In my opinion, it did stop the red tide from sweeping into the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand.

I want to honor all of those who have served our country and I don't think anyone would disagree.

Olevet, you are one of the most tremendous guys that I've met online and I can't imagine what you've been through. All, I can say is thank you.

The other thing that I want to say is that some people get the wrong impression and romanticize war. War sucks, as said earlier. It is not about policy and right and wrong, but about personal bravery and answering the call to defend your country and willingness to sacrifice.

So, on this day I do give thanks to Olevet and all of those who have served the US.

olevetonahill
5/25/2008, 12:37 AM
Ive said it befor Ill say it again
If anyone thinks WAR is Glorious
Read the BOOK
Johnny got his Gun !
Nuff said

tommieharris91
5/25/2008, 12:50 AM
Olevet, I would like to thank you and your fellow Vietnam veterans for your sacrifices.

My grandpa was a WWII vet, and if he heard me say something like what shaun wrote while he was alive, he woulda come outta his paralyzed body to slap me.

Frozen Sooner
5/25/2008, 02:44 AM
Great thanks to those who gave the last full measure of devotion for our nation.

leavingthezoo
5/25/2008, 02:54 AM
Ive said it befor Ill say it again
If anyone thinks WAR is Glorious
Read the BOOK
Johnny got his Gun !
Nuff said

that particular book sticks with me more than anything else i have ever read. you know how i feel about you guys that served, though some might not due to my more liberal leanings in discussion. the thing is though, i don't have to agree with war or understand it to recognize the sacrifice and selflessness by any man or woman who put on a uniform and fought for their beliefs and/or country. it is an awe inspiring action.

so, thanks olevet... and any and every one of you who have served, are serving and will serve in the future.

Vaevictis
5/25/2008, 03:59 AM
Well, I'll keep it short and simple, since I almost always seem to find a way to offend someone:

My hat's off, and thanks.

Fraggle145
5/25/2008, 05:14 AM
Thank you.

VeeJay
5/25/2008, 06:03 AM
Here's a salute to all the men and women who've served our nation in uniform. God Bless you and Thank You!

AlbqSooner
5/25/2008, 07:24 AM

id be happy to join the military, but they told me im too fat. so im stuck sitting in an airconditioned office playing on the internet and being paid more for it. =(

This is a great thread. I have no comment on your statement Shaun. No comment only because I would hate to see this thread locked. You could be a speech writer for Hillary.

SoonerStormchaser
5/25/2008, 07:50 AM
Oh jeez...I'm not gonna touch Shaun's comments with a 20' frag. I'm already on thin ice from last week...if I were to go off on him, I might get the boot.

Aww...**** it!

Shaun, all I'm gonna say is that I pity you. If I was around in Vietnam, I would have volunteered to go...whether I agreed with its premise or not...because, to me, there is no greater honor than to serve your country. This country has been bought and paid for from the blood, sweat, tears and LIVES of the military folk. The man you insulted last night took a goddamn bullet for his country...you should be kissing his feet!

5/25/2008, 08:11 AM
My dad was in the big one... Korea. ;)

He was an Air Force mechanic stationed in Tokyo, where he bowled a perfect 300.

Never saw action, but he was there and part of the effort.

God bless all of you that have served to make this the greatest nation on earth.

soonerbrat
5/25/2008, 09:02 AM
I would also like to remember the police and fire members who have died in the line of duty.

r5TPsooner
5/25/2008, 10:12 AM
all thanks be to two large groups of people:

the first group are those that fought their way through the revolutionary war

the second group are the boys who kicked nazi and jap *** in the european and pacific theaters respectively.

So what you're saying in your post is that all of the above deserve thanks
except for Vietnam Vets?

There is a lot I'd like to say to you but at the risk of getting permabanned I'll just say this... outta all of those mentioned you should thank the Vietnam Vets the most since our Jackass politicians put them in a no win situation with no plan and not enough support to finish the job to begin with. Not to mention that the enemy looked just like our friends in most cases and had no rules of engagement unlike the US military has.

You have a lot to learn dude.

SteelClip49
5/25/2008, 11:59 AM
I can't wait to see thousands and thousands of bikers out on the highways today and tomorrow. Usually see a lot of veterans out on the road and the design of their vests are awesome. I need to get me some miniature American flags and wave them outside the car as they pass on by.

shaun4411
5/25/2008, 12:08 PM
you guys have an uncanny ability to take what i say, and assume the worst from it. let me be clear: i never in any way whatsoever meant any disrespect to those in service. my dad is a Colonel in the AF. i have nothing but respect for servicemembers. I have no qualm with my country, as i am a very proud AMERICAN who flies his flag atop a 10 foot flag pole in my front yard.

i said it sucks for those who had to go to vietnam. i believe it was a huge waste of our men and resources to have had a single pair of american boots in that country. i would rather slit my wrists than to spit upon and disrespect servicemembers returning from duty. I dont have a family full of vets, though there are a few. My father being one, and my grandfather being another. He did serve in WWII, but if i told you who for you may not like me that much.

yermom
5/25/2008, 12:55 PM
sounds like you chose your words VERY poorly then

i wasn't around for Vietnam, but i really don't understand why anyone would be hostile toward the kids coming home after so many families were touched by the draft

r5TPsooner
5/25/2008, 12:59 PM
you guys have an uncanny ability to take what i say, and assume the worst from it. let me be clear: i never in any way whatsoever meant any disrespect to those in service. my dad is a Colonel in the AF. i have nothing but respect for servicemembers. I have no qualm with my country, as i am a very proud AMERICAN who flies his flag atop a 10 foot flag pole in my front yard.

i said it sucks for those who had to go to vietnam. i believe it was a huge waste of our men and resources to have had a single pair of american boots in that country. i would rather slit my wrists than to spit upon and disrespect servicemembers returning from duty. I dont have a family full of vets, though there are a few. My father being one, and my grandfather being another. He did serve in WWII, but if i told you who for you may not like me that much.

Maybe you should try apologizing. That always seems to work pretty well around here.

BTW, you seem to be the only one who thinks that what you said wasn't the least bit hurtful and/or offensive.

shaun4411
5/25/2008, 01:15 PM
im only sorry that so many of you misinterpreted my post. i honestly dont see how what i said was hurtful or offensive unless you believe in the reason and purpose behind our involvement there.

Harry Beanbag
5/25/2008, 01:29 PM
im only sorry that so many of you misinterpreted my post. i honestly dont see how what i said was hurtful or offensive unless you believe in the reason and purpose behind our involvement there.

I think you should eat another Big Mac and stop posting.

shaun4411
5/25/2008, 01:30 PM
i dont eat mcdonalds either.

leavingthezoo
5/25/2008, 01:56 PM

i bolded the words that would most help you make an apology. you're welcome. ;)

shaun4411
5/25/2008, 02:25 PM
thanks.

olevetonahill
5/25/2008, 02:32 PM

Dude I DONT LIKE YOU VERY MUCH as it is

r5TPsooner
5/25/2008, 02:38 PM
I don't think I've evar negged the same person twice.... except LAS.:D

shaun4411
5/25/2008, 02:39 PM
Dude I DONT LIKE YOU VERY MUCH as it is

waaah.

badger
5/25/2008, 06:14 PM
ummmm... ahhhh... (awkward silence)

Hey LOOK! Is THAT... OUr Memorial Stadium?
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5331/flag1bx6.jpg
Why, yes it is (slightly modified image to have flag right-side up)

And THIS is what it looked like if you were one mile tall!
http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store/Vendor17/160/OSJGMSDS-m.jpg

There is nothing more ALL-AMERICAN than our All-American Sooners wearing an American flag on their unis!
http://ouinsider.com/media/images/article/1196916661.jpg
(even if the rest of the uniform is a weird shade of gray)

And would you look at that...
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2008/200802_A1_ERSON65584_A1bald25.jpg
That's an Oklahoman Eagle... released back into Oklahoma by an Oklahoma Native American tribe earlier this year!

http://forum.belmont.edu/cornwall/god%20bless%20america.jpg
:O

SoonerStormchaser
5/25/2008, 09:42 PM
badger,
am I totally drunk or is that first pic upside down?

I'll need Olevet and his uncanny drunkytown eyes to confirm.

leavingthezoo
5/25/2008, 09:45 PM
the pic isn't upside down. the people are. :P

olevetonahill
5/25/2008, 09:54 PM
badger,
am I totally drunk or is that first pic upside down?

I'll need Olevet and his uncanny drunkytown eyes to confirm.

Frag , did you Not read ?
she said she Modified it sos the Flag would be right sides up.:P

sooner2b09
5/26/2008, 12:39 AM
Thank you dad for everything you have done and all the sacrifices you have made. You have been gone half my life serving. You will never know how much i appreciate it. I thank God every day for men like my father.

olevetonahill
5/26/2008, 01:37 AM
Thank you dad for everything you have done and all the sacrifices you have made. You have been gone half my life serving. You will never know how much i appreciate it. I thank God every day for men like my father.

Spek to you
You Made this olefarts eyes water .

Scott D
5/26/2008, 08:36 AM
Memories with those whom we've lost, and prayers to those they left behind for like brat said all of our men and women in uniform. From the Armed Forces to the Police, Fire, and EMT's.....and I guess even the Coasties, maybe even the Merchant Marine. ;)

badger
5/26/2008, 10:42 AM
I just returned from morning services here in Tulsa. Aside from the puddles covering most of the military markers (I kid you not - those flat markers are beautiful, but they don't make for good drainage), it was wonderful.

TUSooner
5/26/2008, 11:51 AM
This may seem like chicken sh#t, but I mean it sincerely.
It's never a bad idea to thank veterans (of which I am the least worthy of thanks).
But THIS day, MEMORIAL DAY is set aside to honor those who DIED for this country. As Abe Lincoln put it, they gave "the last full measure of devotion."
In a way - and I am quite serious - we don't give proper credit to the dead when we convert this day into a generic day for honoring of veterans and other patriots who did not make the ultimate sacrifice. November 11 is the day we honor ALL veterans.

TODAY, HONOR and REMEMBER THE DEAD. They deserve the day all to themselves, because they gave up all of their days for us. Think about what it means to give it ALL up for others. Please give the day and the dead what's due them. As war's survivors tend to say: "It's the one's who didn't come home who are the real heroes."

olevetonahill
5/26/2008, 12:30 PM
What TU said
Props to you Bro
My and your day is in November
You good Bro

r5TPsooner
5/26/2008, 01:43 PM
God Bless America and God Bless our troops and the families of those who are serving our country.

TUSooner
5/26/2008, 03:22 PM
God Bless America and God Bless our troops and the families of those who are serving our country.

Why do you hate the people who have died for our country?

r5TPsooner
5/26/2008, 03:30 PM
Why do you hate the people who have died for our country?

You must mean like my father.:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
5/26/2008, 03:45 PM

I tink he was Just joking at you !

Harry Beanbag
5/26/2008, 03:52 PM
This may seem like chicken sh#t, but I mean it sincerely.
It's never a bad idea to thank veterans (of which I am the least worthy of thanks).
But THIS day, MEMORIAL DAY is set aside to honor those who DIED for this country. As Abe Lincoln put it, they gave "the last full measure of devotion."
In a way - and I am quite serious - we don't give proper credit to the dead when we convert this day into a generic day for honoring of veterans and other patriots who did not make the ultimate sacrifice. November 11 is the day we honor ALL veterans.

TODAY, HONOR and REMEMBER THE DEAD. They deserve the day all to themselves, because they gave up all of their days for us. Think about what it means to give it ALL up for others. Please give the day and the dead what's due them. As war's survivors tend to say: "It's the one's who didn't come home who are the real heroes."

I totally agree with this. I explained this to the wife yesterday. She said she didn't care, she's still thankful for me anyway. :)

TUSooner
5/27/2008, 07:48 AM

I thought a ;) would be unnecesssary. I should have added it anyway.

TUSooner
5/27/2008, 07:49 AM
I totally agree with this. I explained this to the wife yesterday. She said she didn't care, she's still thankful for me anyway. :)

I'm thankful for you, too. :)

C&CDean
5/27/2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks to ones who gave all.

shaun,

Bad form. Have a red card and think about what you post on here.

SoonerStormchaser
5/27/2008, 09:34 AM
:dean:
If we're doing the tailgate thingy in the fall, I'm buying all the alcohol (nattys included for Olevet) for the game near the 29th of September. IIRC, it's customary to buy drinks when you get promoted.

badger
5/27/2008, 01:19 PM
Why does Oklahoma have so many that serve in the armed forces?

I was just at a deployment meal for troops about to be sent off for training, then Iraq. It is clear that while families hope for the best, they are all expecting the worst.

Scott D
5/27/2008, 04:00 PM
A coworker and I were having that discussion at lunch today, however it was in reference to small town (West Union) Ohio. Part of it stems from wanting to see something other than the small towns some grew up in. Most of it stems from a relative that served during a previous war, or non-war as we like to call Grenada and Desert Storm. ;)

That and Oklahoma has a few bases spread out around it.

C&CDean
5/27/2008, 04:04 PM
I'd like to think it's because people here care more about freedom and what it means to be an American and are willing to fight/die for it - whereas there's a whole boatload of people on the coasts who think they're owed something and wouldn't even consider fighting/dying for somebody elses freedom - let alone their own.

That was the longest runon sentence ever.

yermom
5/27/2008, 04:14 PM
Why does Oklahoma have so many that serve in the armed forces?

I was just at a deployment meal for troops about to be sent off for training, then Iraq. It is clear that while families hope for the best, they are all expecting the worst.

like there is any other reason to move here ;)

badger
5/27/2008, 05:01 PM
You're right Dean, that was a long run-on sentence, but hey, Packers know all about long runs on the field (kicking myself for awful bad pun).

Bases or not, the only connection I see with that would be second, third-gen troops. Would that account for all the Oklahoma guys in uniform?

True story: There was this family back where I grew up that was filled with Marines. The grandfather, the dad, the oldest son. There were also three other sons about my age. They grew up with Marines shirts, they had Marine-like haircuts and they all wanted to join the Marines after school. What must have been the disappointment of a lifetime for the second son was discovering that a wrestling injury to the ear made him ineligible to join the Marines. I don't understand regular wrestling, but it does seem like a lot of wrestlers get ear injuries. In any event, he was the only guy in the family to not end up in the Marines.

Frozen Sooner
5/27/2008, 05:15 PM
Wrestlers who refuse to wear proper headgear during practice get a lot of ear injuries-cauliflower ear in particular. Headgear is a pain in the ***, but it keeps your ears from looking like an MMA dude's. Your ears get wrenched around a LOT when someone has you in a front headlock, guillotine, whatever.

badger
5/28/2008, 09:40 AM
Headgear comes off easily too, from what I've seen in my limited freestyle wrestling watching. We used to do exactly one pep band for our high school wrestling team. That's how often I attended wrestling matches :D

We had a coach that was so upset at the reffing that he threw a chair through a mirror at an opposing school's locker room. He was fun to watch on the sideline, because he would really go nuts after a win. He was also fun at football games (and pretty much all games) because he would coach from the stands.

But... after the broken mirror, the school paid for it and relieved him of his coaching duties.

I felt really bad for the shoulda-been Marine. There are some real @$$holes out there who play sports and are good at them, but he wasn't one of them. Even after the disappointment of a lifetime, he took first at state in discus.

Frozen Sooner
5/28/2008, 10:15 AM
If headgear is popping off a lot, then it's on too loosely.

I managed three varsity letters in wrestling without my headgear accidentally coming off once. Strangely enough, I have absolutely no cauliflower ear. :D

Have I mentioned that I'm a millionaire? ;) I guess that last paragraph sounded like internet bragging-I was actually pretty terrible, but I did qualify for the letters freshman-junior years.

badger
5/28/2008, 10:28 AM
If headgear is popping off a lot, then it's on too loosely.

I managed three varsity letters in wrestling without my headgear accidentally coming off once. Strangely enough, I have absolutely no cauliflower ear. :D

Have I mentioned that I'm a millionaire? ;) I guess that last paragraph sounded like internet bragging-I was actually pretty terrible, but I did qualify for the letters freshman-junior years.

It's ok. One Internet bragger deserves another - four year letterwinner in both Cross Country and Track here :D

I was also pretty terrible, but I did what I had to in order to help the team out. Two mile? Sure, why not. High hurdles? Hey, what's the worst that could happen? Pole vault? Weeeellll... ok!