PDA

View Full Version : Best quality Blu-Ray movies?

Widescreen
5/23/2008, 09:56 AM
I'm about to make the plunge. What are the highest quality (in terms of video quality) Blu-Ray movies? I like to have a couple on-hand to demo. Ideally the video quality would be great and the movie itself wouldn't suck.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 10:03 AM
3:10 to Yuma

if you have kiddies

Ice Age 2
Ratatouille

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 10:04 AM
Also

Cars

I thought the last POTC looked pretty good also

JohnnyMack
5/23/2008, 10:06 AM
Agreed on Cars & Ratatouille. They're stupid good.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 10:17 AM
My wife gets mad because everytime someone comes over I m either kickin in the Cars, Ratatouille, or Planet Earth Blu rays..

Frozen Sooner
5/23/2008, 10:24 AM
Head over to AVSForum.com.

In the BD software section they've got a PQ tier thread which should give you some direction on this.

Yes, all the Pixar stuff-in fact, pretty much anything Disney-is great on PQ. The POTC movies are phenomenal.

Always remember: grain does not mean bad PQ.

Widescreen
5/23/2008, 11:55 AM
Always remember: grain does not mean bad PQ.

Good advice. Even on DVDs you can sometimes pick up grain but I'm guessing it's more substantial on Blu-Ray, particularly if the filmmaker used grain for stylistic reasons.

C&CDean
5/23/2008, 11:58 AM
grain? potc? pq?

wtf?

Widescreen
5/23/2008, 12:00 PM
I think POTC is Planet of the Chimpanzees.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 12:01 PM
Pirates of the Carribean
picture quality

Mike can explain the grain

wtf- where's the fish?

Sooner_Havok
5/23/2008, 12:01 PM
grain? potc? pq?

wtf?

Grain- Grainy picture. You know, that cheap *** effect to make **** look old.

POTC-Pirates of the Caribbean

PQ-Picture Quality

tbl
5/23/2008, 12:11 PM
Blair Witch should be awesome.

sooner_born_1960
5/23/2008, 12:12 PM
grain? potc? pq?

wtf?
Right, Mr. HPATPOA

C&CDean
5/23/2008, 01:33 PM
Right, Mr. HPATPOA

Well everybody knows Harry Potter code. DOH.

So what y'all are saying is that the new PS-3 I got to see movies in stunning clarity will now make things look like **** if the director shot the movies in this whole "grain" thing?

Sooner_Havok
5/23/2008, 01:35 PM

So what y'all are saying is that the new PS-3 I got to see movies in stunning clarity will now make things look like **** if the director shot the movies in this whole "grain" thing?

Yup

And don't lie, you got the PS3 for gaming :D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 01:38 PM
he gots it fer his john deere

Sooner_Havok
5/23/2008, 01:40 PM
he gots it fer his john deere

Dean's favorite game:

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/645725b.jpg

:D

Frozen Sooner
5/23/2008, 06:06 PM

No, it will not look like "****." It will look like the director intended it to look (or, possibly, it will look like **** because the cinematography was poor.)

Film grain can result from several things. Part of it can be stylistic choice. 300, for example, was intentionally very grainy. Part of it can be limitation of film. Dark scenes that have been brightened will typically look very grainy.

Grain is inherent in film.

soonerboomer93
5/23/2008, 10:47 PM
grain is inherent because of what film is made from

Widescreen
5/23/2008, 11:54 PM
Well, I went out today and picked up Ratatouille. Now I just need to get something to play it on. :D

SicEmBaylor
5/24/2008, 12:52 AM
Why haven't they started shooting movies in HD only? Why are they still using film at all?

Frozen Sooner
5/24/2008, 01:20 AM
Why haven't they started shooting movies in HD only? Why are they still using film at all?

Film has an effective resolution about 5000 times that of the best HD video cameras. It is an analog medium, so as such does not truly have such a thing as resolution, however, film-even film shot a few decades ago-has much more color depth and detail than even the latest 1080p camera can manage. You think that the picture on the movie screen doesn't look as good as your home setup? Try blowing the picture from your TV up to 80 or so feet and see how good it looks.

Again, grain is not an indicator of lower resolution or a bad picture.

bluedogok
5/24/2008, 12:05 PM
Many movies/documentaries that are not intended for theaters are shot in HD-Video since they don't have the big screen resolution issues that theaters have as Mike noted.

The "Digital Film Projection" that George Lucas has promoted for the latest Star wars movie is a much, much higher resolution than we have at the consumer level and therefore the costs are really up there and the reason why many of the theaters balked at showing the last Star Wars movie. I think they ended up doing a film transfer for it because he was not able to force enough theaters into the conversion.

Widescreen
5/24/2008, 10:14 PM
The "Digital Film Projection" that George Lucas has promoted for the latest Star wars movie is a much, much higher resolution than we have at the consumer level and therefore the costs are really up there and the reason why many of the theaters balked at showing the last Star Wars movie.

Yeah, THAT was the reason they didn't want to show it.

;)

soonerbrat
5/24/2008, 10:27 PM
My wife gets mad because everytime someone comes over I m either kickin in the Cars, Ratatouille, or Planet Earth Blu rays..

Planet Earth is AMAZING on Blu Ray. Unbelievable

BudSooner
5/25/2008, 08:53 AM
POTC is pretty amazing, Transformers was pretty cool as well.
One customer I had to work with yesterday had a 5.1 surround system that was INCREDIBLE, of course he was watching Transformers...when Blackout morphed.....I was stunned at the quality.

He told me he was upgrading to 7.1, I said to call me when he did so I could hear it....freaking amazing...srsly.

Frozen Sooner
5/25/2008, 08:56 AM
POTC is pretty amazing, Transformers was pretty cool as well.
One customer I had to work with yesterday had a 5.1 surround system that was INCREDIBLE, of course he was watching Transformers...when Blackout morphed.....I was stunned at the quality.

He told me he was upgrading to 7.1, I said to call me when he did so I could hear it....freaking amazing...srsly.

Unfortunately, as of now, Transformers is not available on BD.

Also, believe it or not, the HD DVD of Transformers is a DD+ track-in other words, it's a lossy track. At the time of release, the BD fanboys kept saying that it showed the limitations of HD DVD because there wasn't enough space (supposedly) for a lossless track. The funny thing was (as you pointed out) the DD+ track is outstanding.

3:10 to Yuma has a 7.1 MPCM lossless track that's unreal good in a few scenes.

BudSooner
5/25/2008, 09:15 AM
Unfortunately, as of now, Transformers is not available on BD.

Also, believe it or not, the HD DVD of Transformers is a DD+ track-in other words, it's a lossy track. At the time of release, the BD fanboys kept saying that it showed the limitations of HD DVD because there wasn't enough space (supposedly) for a lossless track. The funny thing was (as you pointed out) the DD+ track is outstanding.

3:10 to Yuma has a 7.1 MPCM lossless track that's unreal good in a few scenes.
I didn't know that, for what it is....it's amazing.
I have to admit, i'm out of my league when it comes to some of the info regarding BD...it sure helps to have guys like you on here to answer these things.
Some of the homes i've worked on just blew me away, until yesterday.

Here is the speaker company he uses-
http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-lines.php

Whats your opinion on those speakers? I'm about to outfit the home with a new sound system and could use a tip or two regarding the tuner...I doubt I would use the Energy brand speakers....the wife would shoot me if'n I mentioned the price. :D

Frozen Sooner
5/25/2008, 12:54 PM
energy speakers are very nice.

shaun4411
5/25/2008, 01:21 PM
in retrospect, incorporating a blu ray disc reader in the ps3 was a very good thing, even if it stalled sales in the beginning. thanks in part to the ps3 for the bluray/hd movie viewing revolution.

bluedogok
5/25/2008, 02:27 PM
I think the fact that the X-BOX 360 didn't include the HD-DVD player and instead had it as an extra cost add-on was a blunder for the HD-DVD camp. I have a PS3 as my Blu-ray player, in fact I haven't play games on it near as much as I have used it as a BR player. My HD-DVD is now my main player in the living room having moved the Denon upconverting player to another room.

Fry's had a bunch of their HD-DVD movies for $10 the other day, I picked up Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima the other day and they still look great. For that price they are worth it.

Widescreen
5/26/2008, 12:06 AM
Well, I'm sitting here watching Ratatouille with my new BRD player on my 100" screen.

RUN REMY! THE OLD LADY'S GONNA BLAST YOU!

So far, I'm loving it. My wife even mentioned how much sharper it looks.

Frozen Sooner
5/26/2008, 12:56 AM
I bet it looks nice. What kind of projector are you running?

Widescreen
5/26/2008, 01:06 AM
It's a Sony 1272 CRT projector. It's old but it's still good. I'm running it at 1080i because I don't think it has the bandwidth to handle 1080p. And I doubt it will resolve a full 1920x1080 anyway. Still looks really nice.