PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst thing you've ever eaten?

NormanPride
5/23/2008, 09:56 AM
Okay people, there are tons of threads about which steakhouse is best or which ice cream is the most tasty (foolish, they all taste awesome). But where are the threads about how nasty something is? I mean, if I go visit Chuck halfway across the globe, I want to know that "regional delicacy" is actually the nastiest thing humans have ever created before I make the mistake of trying it.

Yesterday someone brought in Chinese snacks. Candied fruits, mostly... The strawberries were pretty nice, the cherries were... odd... But the worst were the plums. What the freakin' hell, China? How can you turn a plum from a fruit directly into petrified dinosaur ***? That was the most disgusting thing I've ever had. So be forewarned... never eat the "candied" plums.

MojoRisen
5/23/2008, 10:11 AM
Ex girlfriend I believe deliberately gave me the middle un cooked portion of the meatloaf and - that was the sickest I had ever been.

royalfan5
5/23/2008, 10:15 AM
Probably eating a raw egg, shell and all.

5/23/2008, 10:21 AM
Vegemite.

Oh, and a handful of cat food on a dare in college.

Nah, the vegemite was much worse.

Paperclip
5/23/2008, 10:23 AM
While I was in China I ate something called a century old egg. I would have to nominate that. The locals were popping them like Pez so I figured what the heck. Bad decision.

Sooner_Havok
5/23/2008, 10:24 AM
a cheese pizza in Mexico. Apparently sauce is a topping down there, so if you order a cheese pizza, you get pizza dough with cheese melted on it.

NormanPride
5/23/2008, 10:24 AM
I've heard about those. Not really a century old, but pickled, right?

Turd_Ferguson
5/23/2008, 10:29 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/Tatar-1.jpg/400px-Tatar-1.jpg

'nuff said.

SoonerStormchaser
5/23/2008, 10:29 AM
My wife's cornbread...

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 10:31 AM
I dont wanna say

Sooner_Havok
5/23/2008, 10:33 AM
I dont wanna say

Dean wouldn't mind if you did :D

Chuck Bao
5/23/2008, 10:34 AM
Well, come on over, NormanPride, and I'll introduce you to some.

I actually like the Chinese candied plums. I was munching on some last week that someone brought back from China. I feel better about eating them now that they come in modern packaging. Before, they were just wrapped in waxpaper.

I don't know the worst thing I've eaten, but I do remember the sickest I've been. I picked up typhoid fever after eating at a street market near my office about six years ago. That wasn't much fun.

Paperclip
5/23/2008, 10:35 AM
I've heard about those. Not really a century old, but pickled, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg

Sooner_Havok
5/23/2008, 10:36 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/Tatar-1.jpg/400px-Tatar-1.jpg

'nuff said.

That looks like some kind of horrible meat/egg boob :eek: :eek:

Sooner_Havok
5/23/2008, 10:37 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg

and people eat that?

NormanPride
5/23/2008, 10:40 AM
Well, come on over, NormanPride, and I'll introduce you to some.

I actually like the Chinese candied plums. I was munching on some last week that someone brought back from China. I feel better about eating them now that they come in modern packaging. Before, they were just wrapped in waxpaper.

I don't know the worst thing I've eaten, but I do remember the sickest I've been. I picked up typhoid fever after eating at a street market near my office about six years ago. That wasn't much fun.

Oh man, I have no idea how you eat those things. I know there was a soda in Ireland, I think, that was called "The Beverly" and it was the most foul tasting drink in the world. Apparently, Irish people drank it to strengthen their stomachs for more drinking. Is this like that?

Typhoid? I think that wins.

Paperclip
5/23/2008, 10:42 AM
and people eat that?

Like it was popcorn.

Sooner_Havok
5/23/2008, 10:45 AM
Like it was popcorn.

I got some eggs in the fridge about two weeks past their expiration,should I FedEx them to China?

OklahomaRed
5/23/2008, 10:45 AM
Some chocolate milk out of a vending machine that was "expired". Back in my previous life as an aircraft mechanic I used to always go get a sausage biscuit out of the vending machine and a 1/2 pt. chocolate milk every morning. Per routine I took a big bite out of the sausage biscuit and washed it down with a big slug of chocolate milk. This one time the milk was double clabbored. It got about 1/2 way down my esophagus and it came right back up. Every time I drink chocolate milk now, which isn't often, I smell it before I drink it. :D

Viking Kitten
5/23/2008, 10:48 AM
I ate bunny jello at some swanky restaurant in the Loire Valley in France. Okay technically its called aspic, made from the meatstock of a hare, but in my mind it was bunny jello. And it was naaaasss-tee.

Paperclip
5/23/2008, 10:51 AM
Some chocolate milk out of a vending machine that was "expired". Back in my previous life as an aircraft mechanic I used to always go get a sausage biscuit out of the vending machine and a 1/2 pt. chocolate milk every morning. Per routine I took a big bite out of the sausage biscuit and washed it down with a big slug of chocolate milk. This one time the milk was double clabbored. It got about 1/2 way down my esophagus and it came right back up. Every time I drink chocolate milk now, which isn't often, I smell it before I drink it. :D

That same thing happened to Bob Mackenzie.

swardboy
5/23/2008, 11:03 AM
Ordered a seafood pizza at some huge pizza place in Indianapolis ( had a mighty Wurlitzer Organ that came up from under the floor which was awesome).....the.worst.pizza ever. You've been warned.

tbl
5/23/2008, 11:24 AM
This doesn't really qualify as food, but one time a friend of mine was casually spitting into a 44 oz styrofoam cup through the straw. Not dip spit, just spit. I don't know why he was doing it, but for whatever reason I didn't notice it and picked up the cup, took a huge hammer on the straw, SWALLOWED, and nearly puked all over the place once I realized what I had done. This was probably 13 years ago and I still get the gag reflex when I think about it.

badger
5/23/2008, 11:24 AM
The first few summers I moved to Oklahoma, we visited my great aunt frequently. As a native Oklahoman (and I think she's 1/8 Native American like all older Okies among us), she would serve sweet potatoes.

Because she was such a nice great aunt and all, I never had the heart to tell her that I have never, and will never, like sweet potatoes. It's something about the taste, the mush, the color... ugh.

So, there I sat at the dinner table, eating my (cringe) sweet potatoes, while drinking tons of water, eating freshly baked rolls, the steak, the mac and cheese (homemade)... until finally, after three tiny bites of (cringe) sweet potatoes, I apologize for being full. I had finished several servings of everything except for (cringe) sweet potatoes and I perfectly disguised by distaste for the evil, cringe inducing (cringe) sweet potatoes.

I never want to smell, see or taste (cringe) sweet potatoes again. But since I'm in Oklahoma and you guys like to make fries with it, that doesn't seem likely... you Okies and your (cringe) sweet potatoes.

:D

KC//CRIMSON
5/23/2008, 11:30 AM
http://blog.joins.com/usr/7/7/7721song/1/CHITLINS4.gif

Bad idea.

SoonerBOI
5/23/2008, 11:38 AM
During a trip to Udon Thani, Thailand, I have to eat bugs for snack, prepared by a gracious host. :D
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1457/bugsec9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

NormanPride
5/23/2008, 11:40 AM
At least they weren't alive?

Viking Kitten
5/23/2008, 11:42 AM
Where can I get my hands on some of the crack Badger's smoking?:D

tbl
5/23/2008, 11:47 AM
Sweet potatoes are awesome and they're really good for you. Try a sweet potato casserole with cinnamon, butter, marshmallows, and caramelized pecans melted all over it. That throws the "good for you" out the window, but its delicious.

For the healthy variety, just melt a little bit of lowfat butter and douse it with cinnamon and a little splenda. Good stuff.

Big Red Ron
5/23/2008, 11:48 AM
Brussel Sprouts

C&CDean
5/23/2008, 11:56 AM
A semi-beating chicken heart right after ripping her head off. It was a military survival school macho thing we do to impress the newbs. It didn't really taste bad, it was just warm, very tough, and it's amazing how much blood a little heart can hold.

You people listing veggies are just being silly. A baked sweet potato with some butter and salt and pepper is greatness. Smokes a white potato in a big way.

SoonerInKCMO
5/23/2008, 12:18 PM
:O n/m ... nothing to see here... :O

sooner_born_1960
5/23/2008, 12:21 PM
Beef liver is the only thing I remember gagging on.

mdklatt
5/23/2008, 12:33 PM
Ordered a seafood pizza at some huge pizza place in Indianapolis

We had shrimp on the menu when I worked at Godfather's. Every now and then somebody would ask how fresh the shrimp was. My reply was always, "This a chain pizza restaurant. In the middle of a landlocked state. Think about it."

r5TPsooner
5/23/2008, 12:44 PM
A Moe's burrito.

Partial Qualifier
5/23/2008, 12:54 PM
it's likely that today I will eat the nastiest thing I've ever eaten. Someone came back from Japan with (among other goodies) a little container of "Squid fermented in it's own ink". Unfortunately I said "I'll down it for $60", yeah, the pot is at $50 right now

:(

Partial Qualifier
5/23/2008, 12:56 PM
A Moe's burrito.

WELCOME TO MOES!! ;)

Howzit
5/23/2008, 01:03 PM
Crickets with some kind of sweet coating.

Turd_Ferguson
5/23/2008, 01:08 PM
anything with fennel seed.

soonerboomer93
5/23/2008, 01:12 PM
never had fermented squid, dried squid is no problem (i like the arms)

um, i had some chicken feet, they're just a pain to eat in all honesty

cows stomachs/intestins cut up, grilled, first time was okay, second time just bothered me for some reason, not sure.

I really don't think I've ever had anything that "nasty"

soonerboomer93
5/23/2008, 01:15 PM
in Korea they do some sort of stir fry maggot

you can smell this cooking from a block away, street vendors have it. Smell alone will just about make you gag, I never had any of it.

Fugue
5/23/2008, 01:17 PM
eel sandwich :(

Mjcpr
5/23/2008, 01:23 PM
eel sandwich :(

Yeah, between two pieces of cheek bread? I fell for that too once. Once!

OUDoc
5/23/2008, 01:28 PM
it's likely that today I will eat the nastiest thing I've ever eaten. Someone came back from Japan with (among other goodies) a little container of "Squid fermented in it's own ink". Unfortunately I said "I'll down it for $60", yeah, the pot is at $50 right now

I'm in for the other $10.

5/23/2008, 01:33 PM
photos.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/23/2008, 01:41 PM

Before you started working there someone brought some of that back.

You'll never get it close enough to your face to eat it. When you open the jar you'll likely hork.

Listen to me, my friend: don't. Not worth being sick on a holiday weekend and not worth $60 bucks.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/23/2008, 01:41 PM
Don't worry fellas - he never listens to me.

NormanPride
5/23/2008, 01:49 PM
I want pictures of PQ failing at this.

ousoonerfan
5/23/2008, 02:50 PM
It was in a restaurant in Rochester, MN. I won't mention the name of the place because everything else I had eaten in this place was outstanding. My buddy conned me into letting him order my meal for me. I don't remember what it was called (we called it "The bottom of the ocean garbage can"). When it came to the table, my wife, his wife and me all gagged. It smelled and looked like the cook had gone out dumpster diving in the leftovers and poured some kind of mixture of red sauce and used motor oil all over it. I managed to get through half of it before it got the best of me.

Turd_Ferguson
5/23/2008, 02:57 PM
I got to eat at the Bricktown Brewery before it officially opened, as a "thank you" type dinner for all the vendors and contractors that had supplied materials/built it. I was starving when we got there and my boss talked me into grilled swordfish. I wanted to throat punch his *** after taking one bite.:mad:

Vaevictis
5/23/2008, 03:21 PM
My grandmother once failed miserably at making a batch of gravy for Thanksgiving.

It tasted like wet dog smells.

r5TPsooner
5/23/2008, 03:24 PM
My grandmother once failed miserably at making a batch of gravy for Thanksgiving.

It tasted like wet dog smells.

:eek:

olevetonahill
5/23/2008, 03:33 PM
Ive been Hungry , Some of the stuff ive eaten would make a Pig puke .

mdklatt
5/23/2008, 03:36 PM
Before you started working there someone brought some of that back.

You'll never get it close enough to your face to eat it. When you open the jar you'll likely hork.

I have to wonder, is there anything that they won't eat in Japan? They eat cow stomach for crying out loud. And have any of you seen the original version of Iron Chef? What could you give to a Japanese person that would make them say, "that's ****ing disgusting"?

Vaevictis
5/23/2008, 03:42 PM
What could you give to a Japanese person that would make them say, "that's ****ing disgusting"?

My aforementioned grandmother was Japanese, and she would not eat the gravy I previously described.

She was kind enough to put it on the table, so I could unwittingly partake, however.

mdklatt
5/23/2008, 03:45 PM
My aforementioned grandmother was Japanese, and she would not eat the gravy I previously described.

Really? There's nothing better than octopus penis and a side of salmon roe, with gravy all over. Mix in a little wasabi and you're in Shinto heaven, my friend.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/23/2008, 03:46 PM
I have to wonder, is there anything that they won't eat in Japan? They eat cow stomach for crying out loud. And have any of you seen the original version of Iron Chef? What could you give to a Japanese person that would make them say, "that's ****ing disgusting"?

Dude, after working for them for nearly 20 years I've seen some things they call 'food' and just shake my head. Someone, at some point in history, some dude with Charles Manson-like mind powers must have been one hongry mofo and convinced others that some of that stuff is deelishus.

And it ain't like a typical family eats crazy stuff for dinner on a Tuesday night. I'm talking non-typical circumstances, here.

But I'll give them this: They are VERY serious about their beef/steak. And most of it is really, really good.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/23/2008, 03:48 PM
But they do get ignunt with animals that come out of the water.

:kelvin:

Hamhock
5/23/2008, 03:57 PM
pancita de res

it was served by a villager we were visiting. i had to eat it. i was quite surprised at the amount of texture on the inside of a cow's stomach.

mdklatt
5/23/2008, 04:04 PM
But they do get ignunt with animals that come out of the water.

Heh. :D

The do have a very, very, very broad definition of "seafood". It it lives in the ocean, they'll eat it. All of it. Probably raw.

When I was in Tokyo, I was flipping through the channels--sumo, baseball, sumo, news, Japanese Jerry Springer, baseball, crazy game show, baseball, crazy game show, crazy game show, cooking show, cooking show...what's this? Manatees. Is this Animal Planet or another cooking show?! :eek:

Melo
5/23/2008, 04:21 PM
If it LOOKS like it will feel weird in my mouth, I will not eat it. Sushi is a no-go, oatmeal, no dice, gritz, no way. Fish has a weird texture, though I will eat shrimp. Octopus, squid, not happening. Ive also mentioned on here I do not like bacon. The smell of it makes me cringe, along with maple syrup. Bell peppers make me gag. Also, colored noodles - WTF?! Wont eat those, either.

Whoever mentioned the chinese candy, I used to work at a chinese joint (free dinner after work, w00t!) and the manager frequented China a LOT. She would always come back with candy. Some was awesome, some was horrible. I remember one in particular was orange peel and plum. That stuff was TASTY!

NormanPride
5/23/2008, 04:54 PM
And you're joining the military? Good luck, hon.

SoonerDood
5/23/2008, 05:18 PM
Melo- BMT Chow Hall food is awesome! Unless you're in the 320, then it really sucks.

And NP- no mention of your "blueberry" donut from Pride?

Viking Kitten
5/23/2008, 05:30 PM
If it LOOKS like it will feel weird in my mouth, I will not eat it. Sushi is a no-go, oatmeal, no dice, gritz, no way. Fish has a weird texture, though I will eat shrimp. Octopus, squid, not happening. Ive also mentioned on here I do not like bacon. The smell of it makes me cringe, along with maple syrup. Bell peppers make me gag. Also, colored noodles - WTF?! Wont eat those, either.

http://thatotherpaper.com/files/Green_Eggs_and_Ham_small.jpg

SicEmBaylor
5/23/2008, 05:33 PM
I had a "texas style" (that's what it was called) steak in London that was the nastiest cut of beef that I've ever had in my life. It still had a big thick rubbery artery running through the middle of it. I've never in my life been served a steak with an artery still in it.

MojoRisen
5/23/2008, 06:05 PM
I have seen my old man tear up some white hearing out of a Jar with all kinds of white stuff all over it.

Also Pig's feet - in the pickle juice is pretty nasty looking.

5/23/2008, 06:15 PM
"Hey Waitor, theres a hare in my Jello."

YUK YUK YUK

Jerk
5/23/2008, 06:20 PM
Well, this midget girl sat on my face once...

Frozen Sooner
5/23/2008, 06:38 PM
Anyone hating on steak tartar hasn't had it prepared properly and is a Philistine.

Worst-tasting thing I've ever eaten...probably either fermented beaver tail or seal muktuk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muktuk).

SouthFortySooner
5/23/2008, 06:41 PM
...was sitten at the classic bosses wifes's table. She served up some "Radichio". I horked it back into my hand. :O

SoonerInKCMO
5/23/2008, 07:21 PM
Lutefisk.

Fookin' Swedes. :mad:

SanJoaquinSooner
5/23/2008, 07:29 PM
When i was a grad student in Norman, the 3-for-a-dollar tacos from Taco Mayo were all i could afford for a late night snack.

What didn't kill me made me stronger.

Chuck Bao
5/23/2008, 07:37 PM
Tripe is good food, a bit chewy, but good.

One of my favourite Northeastern Thai restaurants serves Tom Sap (which I think translates something like spicy, tasty soup). Anyway, Tom Sap is spicy and tasty and includes cross slices of water buffalo intestines like onion rings. It is not a bad anatomy lesson with the bumps on the inside of the ring.

On the other hand, the fact that it is really, really chewy and while you're chewing on it the image of the stuff passed through and the brown color of the soup and...actually it isn't bad. It is spicy and tasty and, as I said before, chewy.

Grilled water buffalo tongue is one of my favourites. But, that's just like unadulterated baloney. Most of my colleagues (not those from the poorer Northeast) won't eat beef. But, they always order buffalo tongue for me. So, in these department meals, I'm left chewing on tongue.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/23/2008, 07:38 PM
Shut.

Up.

Right.

Now.

Jerk
5/23/2008, 07:46 PM
I mean, really, I like women of all shapes and sizes, but this girl was like 4' 9"

SoonerInKCMO
5/23/2008, 07:51 PM
SBSB??!!?!!!? :eek:

Viking Kitten
5/23/2008, 08:06 PM
OMG.

Chuck Bao
5/23/2008, 08:06 PM
Eeek, I’ve thought of worse, much worse.

I once took a fund manager to a Japanese restaurant in Central, Hong Kong and he and I ordered a whole assortment of jelly squares with layered and speckled gold leaf.

Ingesting gold has to be the height of stupidity.

5/23/2008, 08:12 PM
Anyone hating on steak tartar hasn't had it prepared properly and is a Philistine.

Worst-tasting thing I've ever eaten...probably either fermented beaver tail or seal muktuk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muktuk).

I like the critisism before telling everyone about eating rotten beaver meat.

There are few delicacies around the world I won't sample.

That said, I'll go ahead and add fermented beaver tail to that list.

OUDoc
5/23/2008, 08:33 PM
There's tons of stuff I won't eat. If I don't know exactly what it is, I won't eat it. Some say that's not being adventurous, I say it's being smart. Putting an unidentified substance in your mouth isn't the way to longevity.

bluedogok
5/23/2008, 08:39 PM
never had fermented squid, dried squid is no problem (i like the arms)

um, i had some chicken feet, they're just a pain to eat in all honesty

cows stomachs/intestins cut up, grilled, first time was okay, second time just bothered me for some reason, not sure.

I really don't think I've ever had anything that "nasty"
Grilled pork stomach from Yakitori Alley in Ginza. Everything else the had was great but that was like eating a piece of burnt chewing gum. We also had a "snack" in the office, some fluorescent ping pickled cabbage and some blue pickles. most of that stuff was pretty nasty.

5/23/2008, 08:44 PM
Buzzards, we are.

tommieharris91
5/23/2008, 08:55 PM
Gar. The bones don't exactly melt in your mouth.

SoonerBOI
5/23/2008, 09:09 PM
Kermit on a stick.
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4285/kermitar2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

VeeJay
5/23/2008, 09:10 PM
Obviously no one has had a large helping of macaroni beef from the buffet bar at Ryan's.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/23/2008, 09:16 PM
http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/other/greyblink.gif

Chuck Bao
5/23/2008, 09:36 PM
If you guys want to get really scared, consider the chewable penis gummies. Ouch!

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/penisgummies.3272421.gif

Turd_Ferguson
5/23/2008, 10:13 PM
Anyone hating on steak tartar hasn't had it prepared properly and is a Philistine.Well there ya go...I had steak tartare and did not like it. I should have ask for the steak tartar.

soonerboomer93
5/23/2008, 10:21 PM
um, i don't get the eel hate (or the octopus and squid hate) it's probably in how it's prepared, but i've had all 3 and they weren't bad

actually, raw octopus is probably in the top 3 of things I ate over in korea

(bulgogi, and the bbq small pork ribs being top 2

oh, and this honcho buldok being 3, so make squid 4)

we ate soup that was made from pig backbone in korea, it was really tasty, that would be 5th

5/23/2008, 10:37 PM
About the only things I woulnd'n t try are rotten or among the fermented.

Melo
5/24/2008, 04:29 AM
Melo- BMT Chow Hall food is awesome! Unless you're in the 320, then it really sucks.

Well, with my luck, Ill be stuck with that. Thanks.
:mad:

olevetonahill
5/24/2008, 06:37 AM
About the only things I woulnd'n t try are rotten or among the fermented.

I likes My fermented Corn and Grapes :D :pop:

SoonerAtKU
5/24/2008, 08:22 AM
I had a friend attempt to grill filet mignon with the bacon-wrap for OU/Texas one year. That was the year I learned the difference between an upset stomach and food poisoning.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/24/2008, 08:34 AM
SBSB??!!?!!!? :eek::mad: I'm taller than that!!!

Once, the cook at my old job made a pot of beans and used pigtails as the meat. It looked like a bunch of penii floating around in the beans.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2236/1577989679_37359ecd55.jpg?v=0

r5TPsooner
5/24/2008, 11:26 AM
If you guys want to get really scared, consider the chewable penis gummies. Ouch!

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/penisgummies.3272421.gif

:eek:

VeeJay
5/24/2008, 03:58 PM
It looked like a bunch of penii floating around in the beans.

I don't think that's a word, Professor.

5/24/2008, 04:59 PM
11/2/2002

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/953/55064682.JPG

bri
5/24/2008, 05:15 PM
OMG.

http://laspoliticas.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/chewbacca.jpg

This thread needs less Wookiee.

Viking Kitten
5/24/2008, 05:43 PM
Is Chewie laying down on his back in that pic? How come it's cut off at the waste? Is he... smiling?

Is a girl wookie next to post in this thread?

Soonrboy
5/24/2008, 05:52 PM
I learned this week that the best pork for making tamales comes off the pig's face.

Viking Kitten
5/24/2008, 05:54 PM
Joke overload.

bri
5/24/2008, 06:07 PM
Is a girl wookie next to post in this thread?

There's already been one.