PDA

View Full Version : JD Quinn Got Another DUI

Rhino
5/23/2008, 09:22 AM
Second in less than a year. Fourth in at least the past four.

Way to go, genius.

Quinn arrested again for DUI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/05/23/quinn.arrest.ap/index.html)

MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) -- Montana offensive lineman J.D. Quinn was arrested Thursday on charges of drunken driving, his second DUI charge in less than a year.

The 22-year-old senior, who transferred from Oklahoma, was arrested after he pulled over for a traffic stop, refused a breathalyzer and requested a blood test, according to his attorney.

Neither of the tests was administered before Quinn posted $500 bail. He pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor charge the same day.

"He disputes that he was impaired at all," said Paul Ryan, Quinn's attorney. "We continue to monitor his alcohol use, but he's been really compliant and just wants get these matters resolved."

Quinn was arrested in Missoula in July on another DUI charge. He pleaded not guilty to that charge and is awaiting trial.

Quinn, an All-Big Sky selection last season, has been suspended from the team until further notice, athletic director Jim O'Day said.

Around the time of last year's DUI arrest, the NCAA forced Oklahoma to vacate eight wins from the 2005 season because Quinn and quarterback Rhett Bomar took money for work they didn't perform at a Norman, Okla., car dealership.

The players were dismissed from the team in August 2006 and lost a year of eligibility. They were eligible to play again last fall.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 09:24 AM
The guy sure is accused of being drunk alot without him being drunk...thats a shame that they keep targeting him like that..:rolleyes:

Boomer.....
5/23/2008, 09:26 AM
What a solid character.

soonerfan28
5/23/2008, 10:04 AM
I guess he's finally old enough to drink.

yermom
5/23/2008, 10:12 AM
how did they charge him with a DUI with no testing :confused:

CatfishSooner
5/23/2008, 10:13 AM
zzzzz...

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 10:23 AM

This guy probably pulled him over for DUI and stealing picnic baskets
http://www.nashvillejellystone.com/images/ranger04c_original.jpg

Sooner_Havok
5/23/2008, 10:29 AM
This guy probably pulled him over for DUI and stealing picnic baskets
http://www.nashvillejellystone.com/images/ranger04c_original.jpg

Everyone else was stealing picnic baskets, you're just singling him out![hairGel]

SoonerStormchaser
5/23/2008, 10:31 AM
That'd have been at least 4 points towards the Fulmer Cup had he still been here...jeez. Too bad he transferred (anyone know why he transferred?) :rolleyes:

Boomer.....
5/23/2008, 10:35 AM

If you refuse the breathalyzer you are pretty much admitting guilt but it says they took a blood test.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/23/2008, 10:38 AM
That'd have been at least 4 points towards the Fulmer Cup had he still been here...jeez. Too bad he transferred (anyone know why he transferred?) :rolleyes:

Your kidding - right???

TheHumanAlphabet
5/23/2008, 10:40 AM
If you refuse the breathalyzer you are pretty much admitting guilt but it says they took a blood test.

If your borderline, a BAC is definitive. I don't know if a breathalizer is. I had a sheriff deputy show me he blew above the limit after eating a couple of his wifes Chirstmas rum balls. So I wouldn't trust a breathalizer.

Scott D
5/23/2008, 10:42 AM
my favorite is where his lawyer says "We continue to monitor his alcohol use."

the bright side is that snp was nowhere near him this time ;)

yermom
5/23/2008, 11:03 AM

The 22-year-old senior, who transferred from Oklahoma, was arrested after he pulled over for a traffic stop, refused a breathalyzer and requested a blood test, according to his attorney.

Neither of the tests was administered before Quinn posted $500 bail. He pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor charge the same day.

it sounds like he left before the blood test

you can request a blood test instead of the breathalyzer, apparently this is a tactic to buy you some time to work some of the alcohol out of your system, as the officer has to bring you in and can't do it in the field, who knows how long it takes to actually get someone there to do it...

Boomer.....
5/23/2008, 11:17 AM
I figured that was why he requested the blood test. I missed the part about him not getting either done though. Odd.

JLEW1818
5/23/2008, 12:11 PM
What a great kid. ha

TMcGee86
5/23/2008, 12:30 PM

Because it's a charge, not a conviction.

If a cop sees you driving and thinks you might be under the influence, he can pull you over, ask you to perform a sobriety test, and if he feels you are impaired, he can charge you with driving while intoxicated and arrest you.

It's always your right to refuse either field sobriety tests or breath/blood tests, but if the cop feels there is probable cause, he can arrest you and charge you.

dolemitesooner
5/23/2008, 12:33 PM
I guess I was right 4 years ago when I called him a moron after playing poker with him and bomar.

Yermom was there. We both saw this bright young star...lmao

r5TPsooner
5/23/2008, 12:43 PM
Given his attitude and character at OU, especially during and after the Big Red incident, I can't say that I'm all that surprised.

snp
5/23/2008, 01:30 PM
my favorite is where his lawyer says "We continue to monitor his alcohol use."

the bright side is that snp was nowhere near him this time ;)

I might fly up to Montana and be a character witness for the trial.

Drink bleach JD Quinn.

I guess I was right 4 years ago when I called him a moron after playing poker with him and bomar.

The stupid jerk suckerpunched me.

RedstickSooner
5/23/2008, 01:58 PM
What's it take to get pulled over for drunk driving in Montana, anyhow? Driving 80 miles an hour in a field with a moose impaled through your windshield?

yermom
5/23/2008, 02:21 PM

well, to be fair, he was on painkillers and beer after surgery...

he seemed like a nice enough guy, him and Bomar weren't great poker players though :D

VA Sooner
5/23/2008, 09:58 PM
Alcohol levels are higher initially in the breathalyzer test than the blood test. It takes longer for the blood alcohol level to go up due to absorption. Sounds like Quinn's pretty well-seasoned for making that decision to get a blood test instead. Playing the odds that perhaps his blood levels would be below legal limits.

AlbqSooner
5/23/2008, 10:37 PM
Alcohol levels are higher initially in the breathalyzer test than the blood test. It takes longer for the blood alcohol level to go up due to absorption. Sounds like Quinn's pretty well-seasoned for making that decision to get a blood test instead. Playing the odds that perhaps his blood levels would be below legal limits.

If this is his 4th DUI he has no doubt been advised by an attorney to decline the breathalyzer and take the blood test. Too many variables come in to play with the breathalyzer. If he had been drinking recently, his BAC would continue to climb during the time that he was being transported to the hospital to have the blood drawn. It could result in a higher reading. That, of course, is something to argue to a jury, but it is not often successful unless it comes out just barely over the limit. Then you hire an expert who utilizes the rates of absorption to extrapolate back to what it would have been at the time of arrest and argue that he was not under the influence WHILE driving; only after. If the prosecutor makes any reasonable plea offer he should probably grab it.

Hopefully this guy gets the message and quits driving when he is drinking. It is clear to me that he has some bad karmic retribution for something he did in his past. Like maybe two or three years ago.

VA Sooner
5/25/2008, 08:08 PM
4 DUIs... I'm surprised he doesn't have one of those huge contraptions in his car that he has to blow into before his car "let's him drive".

birddog
5/25/2008, 09:14 PM
ociffer, take me drunk i'm home.

colleyvillesooner
5/27/2008, 02:29 PM
I like the two different headlines by cnnsi and ESPN:

ESPN.com
Montana OL Quinn arrested on second DUI charge

CNNSI.com
Lineman in OU booster scandal arrested again

Piware
5/27/2008, 06:02 PM
He HAD to drive - he was far too drunk to walk. Heh!

MojoRisen
5/27/2008, 06:13 PM
Breathalizers - I definitely don't recommend. You can blow a .03 after you have had a pepsi or a coke. It is in the gas that goes out of the fiz - FYI

tulsaoilerfan
5/27/2008, 08:06 PM

I didn't know you could refuse a breathalyzer

Animal Mother
6/2/2008, 04:10 PM
What's it take to get pulled over for drunk driving in Montana, anyhow? Driving 80 miles an hour in a field with a moose impaled through your windshield?

Moose and squirrel.

Seriously, NEVER take the breathalyzer.Way too many intangibles. Time. Your weight etc.

yermom
6/2/2008, 04:27 PM
or don't drink and drive ;)

badger
6/2/2008, 05:36 PM
I didn't know you could refuse a breathalyzer

To refuse is to admit guilt. By signing the driver's license papers, you sign away your right to refuse breathalyzers, to refuse urine samples (but I don't think any officer would dare ask a drunk man to pee for him), to refuse inebriation tests, like saying the ABC's backwards or walking on an invisible tight rope is to admit guilt.

JD Quinn was given a second chance. It's clear he's making the most of it... or not. Getting drunk in Montana might be fun of some, but it probably isn't working wonders of the future of his football career. I thought he was going to turn things around after the way he came out and said how he sold his truck to pay restitution on his Big Red money, which he planned to donate to a charity that was close to him. It sounded like he came out of the experience ahead.

Then, that interview where he tells a reporter to "get a real job" was a red flag. Then, he gets a DUI. Now, he gets another DUI. Now, we can pretty much write him off as one of THOSE student-athletes. You know, the ones who waste their free college education, but yet won't amount to anything after four to five years wasted and absolutely no degree earned. Boo to those student-athletes and boo to JD Quinn. You can sympathize with the fact that he was one of the few athletes that get caught doing what many athletes do - accept money while being college studs - but there's no sympathy for repeat offender DUI's. Boo.

Vaevictis
6/2/2008, 05:53 PM
If he had been drinking recently, his BAC would continue to climb during the time that he was being transported to the hospital to have the blood drawn.

Heh, isn't that pretty easy to solve? Just vomit.

And yeah, his hands may be cuffed behind his back, but he has some ready material: dwelling on the fact that he got kicked off of the OU football team for being a dumbass ought to be enough to make anyone sick.

snp
6/2/2008, 07:01 PM
To refuse is to admit guilt. By signing the driver's license papers, you sign away your right to refuse breathalyzers, to refuse urine samples (but I don't think any officer would dare ask a drunk man to pee for him), to refuse inebriation tests, like saying the ABC's backwards or walking on an invisible tight rope is to admit guilt.

No it's not. You will lose your license for a while under implied consent and the judge may come down on you harsher if you are convicted. But that does not guarantee a guilty verdict. Our frat had a lawyer on call and he'd always tell us to never consent to a breathalyzer if we were in that situation. Thankfully I never had to worry about that but he had a very high success rates with all my friends.

Also the backwards ABC test is bogus. Any lawyer will be able to get that evidence dismissed since most people struggle to do that sober.

JD Quinn was given a second chance. It's clear he's making the most of it... or not. Getting drunk in Montana might be fun of some, but it probably isn't working wonders of the future of his football career. I thought he was going to turn things around after the way he came out and said how he sold his truck to pay restitution on his Big Red money, which he planned to donate to a charity that was close to him. It sounded like he came out of the experience ahead.

Then, that interview where he tells a reporter to "get a real job" was a red flag. Then, he gets a DUI. Now, he gets another DUI. Now, we can pretty much write him off as one of THOSE student-athletes. You know, the ones who waste their free college education, but yet won't amount to anything after four to five years wasted and absolutely no degree earned. Boo to those student-athletes and boo to JD Quinn. You can sympathize with the fact that he was one of the few athletes that get caught doing what many athletes do - accept money while being college studs - but there's no sympathy for repeat offender DUI's. Boo.

He got a DUI while he was here in Norman and tried to fight a GA on our staff. I knew he was a POS from that encounter I had with him.

Also I should mention that if it wasn't for Gute, I would have been smashed to a pulp. Man I love Gute.

TMcGee86
6/2/2008, 10:14 PM

This is crazy talk. It is absolutely not an admission of guilt.

Breathalyzers are no where near 100% accurate. They are not even warranted for use as breath testers. In fact, that are not warranted fit for ANY purpose.

And guess what happens if you haven't had a drink and you somehow blow over the limit. It destroys the sample, so you can never test it again.

Only an absolute fool would take a breathalyzer. If you are certain you are not drunk, then you should demand a blood test. And roadside sobriety tests are just a joke. Unless you fall on your face during a line test the likelihood of those tests being used in court is about 1%.

The fact is, you don't even have to get out of your car if you don't want to unless the cop places you under arrest. Granted, few have the stones to ask the cop right at the beginning if you are under arrest, but without that, it's your choice to exit your vehicle.

KentuckySooner
6/2/2008, 11:15 PM
Look my best friend is a cop and he told me whenever I am driving drunk to always refuse a breathalyzer. Ever since he told me that I have been pulled over 3 times....including once when I killed 3 homeless guys and have yet to get in trouble. Ok, just kidding. But seriously...

Always go for the bloodtest because TMcGee is right. That is all!