PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Fredericksburg meeds fad.

SoonerStormchaser
5/23/2008, 07:34 AM
May 23, 1824- Ambrose Burnside is born.

http://spiderdiaries.richmond.edu/grant11/files/2007/11/450px-ambrose_everett_burnside.jpg

On this day, one hundred eighty-four years ago, one of America's trendiest generals came into this world.

Ambrose Burnside was a soldier, railroad executive, inventor, industrialist, and politician from Rhode Island, serving as governor and a U.S. Senator. As a Union Army general in the American Civil War, he conducted successful campaigns in North Carolina and East Tennessee, but was defeated in the disastrous Battle of Fredericksburg. His distinctive style of facial hair is now known as sideburns, derived from his last name.

Personally, Burnside was always very popular—both in the army and in politics—he made friends easily, smiled a lot, and remembered everyone's name. His professional military reputation, however, was less positive, and he was known for being obstinate, unimaginative, and unsuited both intellectually and emotionally for high command. Ulysses S. Grant stated that he was "unfitted" for the command of an army, and that no one knew this better than Burnside himself. Knowing his capabilities, he twice refused command of the Army of the Potomac, only accepting when told that the command would otherwise go to Joseph Hooker.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/Burnside%2B1stRI.jpg

At the outbreak of the Civil War, Burnside was a brigadier general in the Rhode Island Militia. He raised a regiment, the 1st Rhode Island Volunteer Infantry, and was appointed its colonel on May 2, 1861. Within a month, he ascended to brigade command in the Department of Northeast Virginia. He commanded the brigade without distinction at the First Battle of Bull Run in July, committing his troops piecemeal, and took over division command temporarily for wounded Brig. Gen. David Hunter. After his 90-day regiment was mustered out of service, he was promoted to brigadier general of volunteers on August 6, and was assigned to train provisional brigades in the nascent Army of the Potomac.

Burnside was given command of the "Right Wing" of the Army of the Potomac (the I Corps and IX Corps) at the start of the Maryland Campaign for the Battle of South Mountain, but McClellan separated the two corps at the Battle of Antietam, placing them on opposite ends of the Union battle line, returning Burnside to command of just the IX Corps. Implicitly refusing to give up his higher authority, Burnside treated first Maj. Gen. Jesse L. Reno (killed at South Mountain) and then Brig. Gen. Jacob D. Cox as the corps commander, funneling orders to the corps through him. This cumbersome arrangement contributed to his slowness in attacking and crossing what is now called "Burnside's Bridge" on the southern flank of the Union line.

Burnside did not perform adequate reconnaissance of the area and, instead of taking advantage of several easy fording sites out of range of the enemy, his troops were forced into repeated assaults across the narrow bridge, dominated by Confederate sharpshooters on high ground. By noon, McClellan was losing patience. He sent a succession of couriers to motivate Burnside to move forward. He ordered one aide, "Tell him if it costs 10,000 men he must go now." He increased the pressure by sending his inspector general to confront Burnside, who reacted indignantly: "McClellan appears to think I am not trying my best to carry this bridge; you are the third or fourth one who has been to me this morning with similar orders." The delay allowed Maj. Gen. A.P. Hill's Confederate division to come up from Harpers Ferry and repulse the eventual Union breakthrough. McClellan refused Burnside's requests for reinforcements and the battle ended in a tactical stalemate.

http://www.joshua.lurker00.com/BurnsideBridgeAntietamSMALL.jpg
Burnside Bridge crossing Antietam Creek in Maryland.

McClellan was removed after failing to pursue Lee's retreat from Antietam and Burnside was assigned to command the Army of the Potomac on November 7, 1862. He reluctantly obeyed this order, the third such in his brief career. President Abraham Lincoln pressured Burnside to take aggressive action and on November 14, approved his plan to capture the Confederate capital at Richmond, Virginia. This plan led to a humiliating and costly Union defeat at the Battle of Fredericksburg on December 13. His advance upon Fredericksburg was rapid, but later delays due to poor planning in marshaling pontoon bridges for crossing the Rappahannock River and his own reluctance to deploy portions of his army across fording points before Lee arrived in force allowed Gen. Robert E. Lee to concentrate along Marye's Heights just west of town and easily repulse the Union attacks. Assaults south of town, which were supposed to be the main avenue of attack, were also mismanaged and initial Union breakthroughs went unsupported. Upset by the failure of his plan and by the enormous casualties of his repeated, futile frontal assaults, Burnside declared that he himself would lead an assault by his old corps. His corps commanders talked him out of it, but relations between the commander and his subordinates were strained. Accepting full blame, he offered to retire from the U.S. Army, but this was refused.

In January 1863, Burnside launched a second offensive against Lee, but it bogged down in winter rains before it accomplished anything and has been derisively called the Mud March. In its wake, he asked that several officers, who were openly insubordinate, be relieved of duty and court-martialed; he also offered to resign. Lincoln chose the latter option on January 26 and replaced him with Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker, one of the officers who had conspired against Burnside.

http://www.tngenweb.org/scott/images/1996_v7n3_ambrose_burnside.jpg

After his resignation, Burnside was employed in numerous railroad and industrial directorships, including the presidencies of the Cincinnati and Martinsville Railroad, the Indianapolis and Vincennes Railroad, and the Rhode Island Locomotive Works. He was elected to three one-year terms as Governor of Rhode Island (May 1866 to May 1869). He was commander-in-chief of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) veterans' association from 1871 to 1872. At its inception in 1871, the National Rifle Association chose him as its first president.

During a visit to Europe in 1870, Burnside attempted to mediate between the French and the Germans in the Franco-Prussian War. In 1874 he was elected a U.S. Senator from Rhode Island, was re-elected in 1880, and served until his death in 1881. During that time, Burnside, who had been a Democrat before the war, ran as a Republican, playing a prominent role in military affairs as well as serving as chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee in 1881.

Burnside died suddenly of "neuralgia of the heart" (Angina pectoris) at Bristol, Rhode Island, and is buried in Swan Point Cemetery, Providence. An equestrian statue in his honor was erected in the late 1800s in Burnside Park in Providence.

Curly Bill
5/23/2008, 07:58 AM
This post is very Homey-like....

...that's a compliment.

Good jorb.

TUSooner
5/23/2008, 08:26 AM
I suspected that Burnside as the origin of "sideburns" was a "false eponym." Turns out the eponymous (i.e., named after a person) origin of sideburns is confirmed by no less an authority than the Oxford English Dictionary.

Nice job, shtormy.

Sooner_Havok
5/23/2008, 09:32 AM
were the hell was this thing hiding???

frankensooner
5/23/2008, 09:37 AM
Not bad for a novice. Now try to do a pole. ;)

5/23/2008, 09:52 AM
I wonder if he hid Easter eggs in that thing for his kids.

5/23/2008, 10:07 AM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/zebthethird/burnside.jpg

SoonerStormchaser
5/23/2008, 01:20 PM
Not bad for a novice. Now try to do a pole. ;)

Shouldn't I take a pole on whether or not I should do a pole?

ousoonerfan
5/23/2008, 03:24 PM
I rather enjoy Homey's GM's. Thanks for filling in. You're doing a good job.

Rogue
5/23/2008, 04:12 PM
Nicely done, SSC.