PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day/weekend plans?

OU-HSV
5/22/2008, 11:37 PM
First and most importantly I hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday weekend and remember what the true reason of Memorial weekend is.

Now, what's everyone's plans. Lake, cookouts, golf, fish..or what?
Or perhaps you're taking a loan out to fill your cars up w/unleaded and go on a road trip?

I'm starting my weekend early, I took tomorrow off work and I'm going golfing in Tulsa. Then I may go look for a couple trees to plant in my back yard (I need some shade back there). Then I may go to a poker party/cookout.
Then Saturday I wake up mow the lawn in my brand new "pre-owned" riding mower :D And I'll get my yard looking all nice..and Sat. night I've got a cookout to go to.
Then Sunday I'm setting up my son's outdoor toys and I'm having a cookout at my place. (sorry you're not all invited, my house is too small)
So lots of great food, excellent cold beer, and friends to chill with.
You just can't beat all that in my book!

So anyways, share your plans

olevetonahill
5/23/2008, 12:13 AM
Best shade trees are OAK
But If ya wanta enjoy em In this Life time Fastest Growing ( that I Know off ) are Willow :D

OU-HSV
5/23/2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah I talked to a buddy of mine who knows trees well. He said Maples grow fast (but as we all know the roots are a pain in the azz cause they're barely underground at best). Also he said Poplars aren't bad either. I'm thinking about planting a couple poplars in the back yard. I've got a maple in the front and it's not growing too fast really.
I've been looking at the globe willows as well.

Mjcpr
5/23/2008, 08:24 AM
Do NOT plant a willow tree.

Golf, cookouts, beer, Tenkiller, boating.

Where are you playing in Tulsa?

colleyvillesooner
5/23/2008, 08:37 AM
Broken Bow, beer, Camping, boating, whiskey, fire, smores, beer, rain :mad:, cards, horseshoes, whiskey, brats, beer, burgers, sleep.

Mjcpr
5/23/2008, 08:49 AM
Broken Bow, beer, Camping, boating, whiskey, fire, smores, beer, rain :mad:, cards, horseshoes, whiskey, brats, beer, burgers, sleep.

You must follow me around to places I've been and like. :D

I love the Beaver's Bend area, it's the prettiest in Oklahoma, IMO. Broken Bow lake is extremely nice as well. There are lots of places to stop and look around the lake, especially the loop that runs through the state park, 259A or whatever it is.

If you like to play golf at all, go play Cedar Creek while you're there, it's a little north of the 259A loop. We used to have a golf tournament there every year with friends; it's your typical lake/state course in that it's not Augusta National and it's a little rocky but it's a very interesting golf course and was in great shape when I played it last fall.

Sincerely,

Beaver's Bend Tourism Director. :)

nmsoonergirl
5/23/2008, 08:51 AM
I flew to OKC yesterday. Will be spending the weekend with my dad (he had bypass surgery last week) and going to my niece's 3rd birthday party. Then back to New Mexico Sunday, but I don't go back to work until June 4th. I'll probably go camping next week.

olevetonahill
5/23/2008, 08:56 AM
I flew to OKC yesterday. Will be spending the weekend with my dad (he had bypass surgery last week) and going to my niece's 3rd birthday party. Then back to New Mexico Sunday, but I don't go back to work until June 4th. I'll probably go camping next week.

As Long as Dad is doing good
You the Winner.
Hope and Pray all is well for you and yours

Sooner_Havok
5/23/2008, 09:11 AM
I plan on parking my car and watching the stuff in my tank appreciate in value :(

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 09:14 AM
Take lots of pain meds and go wherever my wife takes me

olevetonahill
5/23/2008, 09:32 AM
I plan on parking my car and watching the stuff in my tank appreciate in value :(

Good move
My 34 year old Dumb as a rock kid
Borrored My Generator
5 Gals Of Gas In the Tank. He asked Me How Longs this GAS In here , I say a Coupla years

Dumb as rock Kid starts trying to Pour it Out .
I say Dumb Kid .
Put that old gas In a gas can , Mix it up with Fresh gas , Or just hand Me a 20 dollar bill
Cause theres 5 Gals In that tank

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 09:34 AM
Ok I just learned I ll be on Lake Eufaula this weekend so if anybody is gonna be around let me know and I ll bring enough meds fer errbody

NormanPride
5/23/2008, 09:48 AM
WooHoo! Party with STEP!

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 09:51 AM
Thats right NP! you bring Badger and yourself and it ll be the best memorial weekend that you never remember!

BillyBall
5/23/2008, 10:11 AM
Im moving, which is always an enjoyable experience.

SoonerStormchaser
5/23/2008, 10:22 AM
O

H

I

O

colleyvillesooner
5/23/2008, 10:42 AM
You must follow me around to places I've been and like. :D

I love the Beaver's Bend area, it's the prettiest in Oklahoma, IMO. Broken Bow lake is extremely nice as well. There are lots of places to stop and look around the lake, especially the loop that runs through the state park, 259A or whatever it is.

If you like to play golf at all, go play Cedar Creek while you're there, it's a little north of the 259A loop. We used to have a golf tournament there every year with friends; it's your typical lake/state course in that it's not Augusta National and it's a little rocky but it's a very interesting golf course and was in great shape when I played it last fall.

Sincerely,

Beaver's Bend Tourism Director. :)

Yeah, I've never been. We're staying in the Stevens Gap area. No golf this trip, but thanks for the tip.

SteelClip49
5/23/2008, 10:48 AM
go to Arcadia, stop by POPS to get a few Dublin DP's and a few Miller High Life Light's and drink a few in memory of Jack Mildren.

badger
5/23/2008, 10:55 AM
Thats right NP! you bring Badger and yourself and it ll be the best memorial weekend that you never remember!

sorry, man. duty calls. Burma volunteers, memorial services et al is the weekend getaway.

Mjcpr
5/23/2008, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I've never been. We're staying in the Stevens Gap area. No golf this trip, but thanks for the tip.

Yeah, that's right in the Beaver's Bend area. I'm very familir with Stephen's Gap.

Wait a minute....

Flagstaffsooner
5/23/2008, 11:17 AM
Looks like I will be shoveling snow.

Snowy start to first 'summer' weekend

Friday, May 23, 2008

Some backcountry roads may become impassable to campers and Flagstaff Unified School District could have a two-hour delay this morning, due to an unusually cold and snowy May storm that arrived just ahead of the traditional start to the first summer weekend.

No forest roads or highways are expected to close, but some campers might be prodded to move to lower elevations depending on the weather -- if they aren't stuck -- the Forest Service says.

The school district was expected to have a decision on any delays by 5:30 a.m. today, superintendent Kevin Brown said, to be released at www.fusd1.org/snow (http://www.fusd1.org/snow) and via news outlets.

Flagstaff could get up to 5 inches of snow in this Memorial Day weekend storm, and areas above 8,000 feet could see 12 to 18 inches of accumulated snow by Saturday, according to the National Weather Service in Bellemont.

The road to the small camping area at Lockett Meadow (8,600 feet) and the Inner Basin of the San Francisco Peaks just re-opened for the year.

Those campers could see a lot of snow, and that road will be of special concern to the Forest Service.

"We're just telling people to be prepared for variable weather conditions," said Karen Malis-Clark, a spokeswoman for the Coconino National Forest. "Pay attention to the weather, and if it looks like you need to leave to get out, leave."

The Weather Service was advising campers to watch the weather and pack emergency supplies.

The Arizona Department of Transportation was plowing roads Interstates 40 and 17 on Thursday, after a snowstorm in Williams caused a five-car pileup and hail covered I-17.

"If you're coming up here, you better prepare for winter conditions, and I don't just mean a coat," said ADOT spokesman Rod Wigman, speaking of incoming campers from the Valley.

The city of Flagstaff has also prepared for wet winter weather, affixing snow plows to city trucks on Thursday so that the city's street division is prepared in case of heavy snow fall.

City of Flagstaff spokesperson Kimberly Ott said the city will continue to follow its phased protocol for removing snow, clearing major thoroughfares first before moving into residential neighborhoods.

Chances for rain and snow dwindle to 20 percent Saturday night.

A high of 66 degrees and mostly sunny skies are forecast for Memorial Day. _uacct = "UA-1161881-1";urchinTracker();

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 11:19 AM
man..that sucks...

SoonerBOI
5/23/2008, 11:50 AM
I plan on sleeping.

OklahomaRed
5/23/2008, 01:17 PM
14 year old is playing in a Hoop 10 tournament this weekend with the brothers. First time ever. It's considered an "honor" for a skinny white kid to be invited to play. Should be fun. Graduation party tonight at one of my senior's buddy's house. Might do some camping Sunday/Monday (haven't decided yet). Just laying low and playing it by ear. :D

C&CDean
5/23/2008, 01:30 PM
I'll be building fence.

OklahomaRed
5/23/2008, 01:45 PM
Cattle prices are up. :D

C&CDean
5/23/2008, 01:54 PM
Cattle prices are up. :D

Not enough to cover the price of the frickin diesel fuel to haul them to Ada.

soonerboomer93
5/23/2008, 02:01 PM
um, cookouts tomorrow and sunday (followed by Indy)

really

I don't particularily want to go anywhere, I just want to relax and enjoy life for a few days.

OU-HSV
5/23/2008, 07:44 PM
Do NOT plant a willow tree.

Golf, cookouts, beer, Tenkiller, boating.

Where are you playing in Tulsa?

I've decided against the Willow trees.
I'm going w/oak or maple trees. I saw a couple today I liked, going back tomorrow to get them.
I played at Mohawk (Woodbine). I had a fun time, but played like shiite. Every time I had a great shot today, I followed it up with a "wtf was that" shot.
Where'd you play at??

OU-HSV
5/23/2008, 07:44 PM
um, cookouts tomorrow and sunday (followed by Indy)

really

I don't particularily want to go anywhere, I just want to relax and enjoy life for a few days.

Word

r5TPsooner
5/23/2008, 08:43 PM
I have two Southern Magnolia's that are just big and beautiful. When they produce flowers, there isn't a nicer smell around.

Mjcpr
5/23/2008, 09:00 PM
I've decided against the Willow trees.
I'm going w/oak or maple trees. I saw a couple today I liked, going back tomorrow to get them.
I played at Mohawk (Woodbine). I had a fun time, but played like shiite. Every time I had a great shot today, I followed it up with a "wtf was that" shot.
Where'd you play at??

Nowhere today, I'll probably play a course out by Tenkiller. It used to be East Lake Hills, now it's Tenkiller Golf Club. It's sounds fancier than it is, but it's close so that's where I play when I'm out there. :D

OU-HSV
5/23/2008, 09:16 PM
Nowhere today, I'll probably play a course out by Tenkiller. It used to be East Lake Hills, now it's Tenkiller Golf Club. It's sounds fancier than it is, but it's close so that's where I play when I'm out there. :D

I haven't been to that lake in forever. I didn't know they had a course out there. I've been wanting to play the course out at Lake Ft. Gibson though. Anyone ever played it?

OKC-SLC
5/23/2008, 09:33 PM
Not enough to cover the price of the frickin diesel fuel to haul them to Ada.

the solution is a cookout at your place.

-no need for diesel fuel
-no need for fence.

I'll bring beer.

OU-HSV
5/23/2008, 10:25 PM
the solution is a cookout at your place.

-no need for diesel fuel
-no need for fence.

I'll bring beer.

I'll drink the beer