PDA

View Full Version : PSA: If you have a Gay last name

GrapevineSooner
5/21/2008, 08:41 PM
Don't register it as part of an X-Box Live screen name (http://consumerist.com/tag/banned/?i=5010226&t=xbox-live-decides-your-surname-is-offensive-because-it-contains-the-letters-g+a+y).

http://consumerist.com/assets/images/consumerist/2008/05/richardgaywood_01.jpg

Melo
5/21/2008, 09:22 PM
My boyfriends last name is Horwood.
Fail.
:(

badger
5/21/2008, 09:25 PM
NOTSFW. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6TzAKOaWxg&feature=related)

NYC Poke
5/21/2008, 10:30 PM
My boyfriends last name is Horwood.
Fail.
:(

If there are wedding bells, is there an amusing hyphenation?

soonermix
5/21/2008, 11:30 PM
heywood jablowme

NYC Poke
5/22/2008, 12:41 AM
heywood jablowme

I'm thinking "Ida Douthatt-Horwood." This can surely be improved upon.

GrapevineSooner
5/22/2008, 08:36 AM
Can't believe none of you have picked up on the fact that the short form of Richard Gaywood is Dick Gaywood. ;)

soonermix
5/22/2008, 09:09 AM
I'm thinking "Ida Douthatt-Horwood." This can surely be improved upon.

is she kin to Anita Dick

dolemitesooner
5/22/2008, 12:31 PM
This thread gets 5 stars

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 12:33 PM
Kid in my high school had the name Richard Head. Why would your parents do that?

mdklatt
5/22/2008, 12:34 PM
I bet there's an I. R. somewhere in the Gaylord family tree.

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 12:44 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/havok0283/CrazyGuy.jpg

Spek to whoever can guess this ole boys name

:D

Condescending Sooner
5/22/2008, 12:53 PM
Kid in my high school had the name Richard Head. Why would your parents do that?

I think he may be an auditor now. I almost laughed in his face when he handed me his business card when he arrived at my office for an audit.

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 12:55 PM
I think he may be an auditor now. I almost laughed in his face when he handed me his business card when he arrived at my office for an audit.

That is freaking great! :D :D

A guy with that name should either work for the DMV or the IRS

mdklatt
5/22/2008, 12:57 PM
A guy with that name should either work for the DMV or the IRS

Don't turn this into another thread about government jobs. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 01:01 PM
Don't turn this into another thread about government jobs. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, I guess he could work at Wal-Mart as one of those supervisors that refuse to open a register when there are eleventy billion people in both open lines too :D

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 01:09 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/havok0283/CrazyGuy.jpg

Spek to whoever can guess this ole boys name

No one? Come on he ran for mayor of Norman.

mdklatt
5/22/2008, 01:17 PM

E. Z. Million?

That name has to be made up. Or else his parents were looney-toon.

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 01:20 PM
E. Z. Million?

That name has to be made up. Or else his parents were looney-toon.

I heard he changed his name to that. It is his legal name now though

mdklatt
5/22/2008, 01:22 PM
I heard he changed his name to that. It is his legal name now though

Okay, so he's the looney-tune, which is nothing we didn't already know.

badger
5/22/2008, 01:24 PM

Bonus points for me: The initials stand for Elmer Zen. The name is not made up, his parents were just being creative. I have had far more conversations with him than I ever cared to.

EZ is very much against David Boren, both in the Senate and at the University of Oklahoma.

As a former Pride of Oklahoma member, his campaign platforms are often on one thing and one thing alone: Moving OU-Texas closer to his wheelchair ramp in Norman.

He showed up the open house at Boyd House a few years back, even though it was an event solely for the students, faculty and staff of OU. President Boren smirked to me "I don't believe anyone invited him."

EZ's favorite phrase to repeat over and over is "Boot Boren." It has no ring to it whatsoever.

EZ's other strange campaign idea was to have a "Heartland Bowl" in Oklahoma for our over excessive college bowl season.

So, there you have it. He has run for Lt. Governor. He has run for mayor of Norman, he has run for city council. His ONLY platform, regardless of the office, is to get OU-Texas to go home-and-home instead of in Dallas.

Now... where's my spek? J/k, I went on that EZ rant for fun.:D

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah. E.Z. Gaywood would have been a great option too :D

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 01:27 PM
Bonus points for me: The initials stand for Elmer Zen. The name is not made up, his parents were just being creative. I have had far more conversations with him than I ever cared to.

EZ is very much against David Boren, both in the Senate and at the University of Oklahoma.

As a former Pride of Oklahoma member, his campaign platforms are often on one thing and one thing alone: Moving OU-Texas closer to his wheelchair ramp in Norman.

He showed up the open house at Boyd House a few years back, even though it was an event solely for the students, faculty and staff of OU. President Boren smirked to me "I don't believe anyone invited him."

EZ's favorite phrase to repeat over and over is "Boot Boren." It has no ring to it whatsoever.

EZ's other strange campaign idea was to have a "Heartland Bowl" in Oklahoma for our over excessive college bowl season.

So, there you have it. He has run for Lt. Governor. He has run for mayor of Norman, he has run for city council. His ONLY platform, regardless of the office, is to get OU-Texas to go home-and-home instead of in Dallas.

Now... where's my spek? J/k, I went on that EZ rant for fun.:D

I voted for him in the Norman Mayoral race. I really thought it would end up in a run off, so I wanted to say "I was one of the 112 people who voted for E.Z. Million" :D

mdklatt
5/22/2008, 01:51 PM
Bonus points for me: The initials stand for Elmer Zen.

I thought it was something like that. I had "Elmer Zed" in my mind, though.

badger
5/22/2008, 02:05 PM
I thought it was something like that. I had "Elmer Zed" in my mind, though.

First you think Elmer Zed.

Then you think Elmer Zud.

Then, you realize you're confusing it with Elmer Fudd :D

I once voted for Chris Kannady just because I knew he wouldn't win and it made voting easier... you know, just mark the little line that says "ALL REPUBLICAN!" and you're finished. Kannady, for those of you that don't remember, was a former OU student government "brat" who ran for office over and over.

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 02:08 PM
First you think Elmer Zed.

Then you think Elmer Zud.

Then, you realize you're confusing it with Elmer Fudd :D

I once voted for Chris Kannady just because I knew he wouldn't win and it made voting easier... you know, just mark the little line that says "ALL REPUBLICAN!" and you're finished. Kannady, for those of you that don't remember, was a former OU student government "brat" who ran for office over and over.

It is fun when you can look at the poll results and see that only a handful of people voted for the same nut job you did.

mdklatt
5/22/2008, 02:11 PM
Kannady, for those of you that don't remember, was a former OU student government "brat" who ran for office over and over.

Yes, I remember the signs all over campus. Well, not the signs themselves but his name on the signs. There are quite a few UOSA brats floating about the state political parties. Jabar Shumate is a state rep. Jay Parmalee is/was the head of the state Dem Party. The outgoing UOSA prez usually gets a gig in Boren's office after he graduates, doesn't he?

badger
5/22/2008, 02:17 PM
It is fun when you can look at the poll results and see that only a handful of people voted for the same nut job you did.

Lol, kind of like the repubs that voted for the OTHER guy in the repub primary in 2004? That was actually a discussion on here four yeras ago, methinks. Bush got 90 percent of the vote, so you could say you were one of the few red state dudes who went the other way.

:gary:

badger
5/22/2008, 02:25 PM
Yes, I remember the signs all over campus. Well, not the signs themselves but his name on the signs. There are quite a few UOSA brats floating about the state political parties. Jabar Shumate is a state rep. Jay Parmalee is/was the head of the state Dem Party. The outgoing UOSA prez usually gets a gig in Boren's office after he graduates, doesn't he?

I don't mean they're "brats" in that they're spoiled or terrible people, btw. I mean they're "UOSA brats," in that they spend their entire student careers in student government, get cushy with university leadership and eventually think that success in student government will translate to real government.

I have met some quality UOSA brats over the years that actually work for the betterment of student life... and then, there are those that like to see their name across campus on a bunch of signs and posters and they like getting their semesterly stipends.

Kannady was a UOSA brat who thought that he could win based on student support. Silly wabbit, voting's not for kids!

... but wow, am I getting off topic.

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 02:31 PM
I don't mean they're "brats" in that they're spoiled or terrible people, btw. I mean they're "UOSA brats," in that they spend their entire student careers in student government, get cushy with university leadership and eventually think that success in student government will translate to real government.

I have met some quality UOSA brats over the years that actually work for the betterment of student life... and then, there are those that like to see their name across campus on a bunch of signs and posters and they like getting their semesterly stipends.

Kannady was a UOSA brat who thought that he could win based on student support. Silly wabbit, voting's not for kids!

... but wow, am I getting off topic.

Make an off topic thread then, this beats the pants of the political carp that has been dominating lately:D

soonerbrat
5/22/2008, 02:34 PM
Can't believe none of you have picked up on the fact that the short form of Richard Gaywood is Dick Gaywood. ;)

i did, I just chose not to comment on it

mdklatt
5/22/2008, 02:38 PM
i did, I just chose not to comment on it

Are you saying you're better than us or something?

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 02:39 PM
Are you saying you're better than us or something?

Well, look at us.

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 03:16 PM
update (http://kotaku.com/5010324/microsoft-explains-gaywood-ban)

(on the gaywood XBL thing, not E.Z. Million)

mdklatt
5/22/2008, 03:19 PM
the gaywood XBL thing

The thread you knew as the Xbox Live thread is gone. It's time to move on.

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 03:19 PM
The thread you knew as the Xbox Live thread is gone. It's time to move on.

But, I never got to say goodbye!
:( :( :( :( :(

badger
5/22/2008, 03:36 PM
Well you say goodbye, I say helloooooooo :rolleyes:

I absolutely loved and loathed student election time back at OU. Some candidates were all self-righteous about making things right in student government... and then there were the status quo candidates who were well funded... most likely well-funded to attend college, too. You know, those of us that didn't have to eat Ramen and PBJ everyday while minimum wagin' ;)

Oh, and as for Xbox Live, I posted a video earlier in this thread to illustrate what happens when you put the word "gay" in video games... people will start using the word f** and make stupid jokes about killing the gay and all. The video is NOT NOT NOT SFW, so don't check it out now unless you are still well-funded even though you're out of college and stopped running for UOSA president :D

See, the two conversations can co-exist :D:D:D

mdklatt
5/22/2008, 03:49 PM
I absolutely loved and loathed student election time back at OU.

This was a UOSA candidate's platform, as printed in the Daily about 10 years ago:

If elected as representative in the Student Congress, I shall endeavor upon lobbying for issues that are essential to the basic enjoyment and satisfaction of the facilities offered by the unversity. My primary objective revolves around voicing the concerns of each student, not of the Congress nor my own. I strong support, but do not limit, three current issues for which I diligently lobby.

The first issue and my most important issue involves implementing a beneficial dead week. I believe that the only form of education that should be taught the week before finals week is a thorough review of the semester.

The second issue strives for an expansion of the Huston Huffman weight room. I have heard such a massive amount of people complaining about this issue that it needs to be deemed a necessity amount all students.

The last issue of which I will represent the students is the parking accessibility around the campus. This topic concerns the limitations, times and spaces of student parking; explicitly library and Huston Huffman parking. I also wish to represent those students who do not possess a parking permit because they live close enough to walk to class.

I offer this as the Single Worst Example of Writing In the English Language.

Melo
5/22/2008, 05:23 PM
If there are wedding bells, is there an amusing hyphenation?

Ouellette-Horwood
Just a mouthful...

:)

Or you know... I could combine them. For Hor-ette.

My best friend (Boyfriends younger sister) is engaged to a young man with the last name of Geotz (Pronounced like 'Gets') so I tease the crap out of her about how she should change her name to 'Geots-Wood'.

badger
5/22/2008, 05:34 PM
This was a UOSA candidate's platform, as printed in the Daily about 10 years ago:

That is what happens when you use a thesaurus at 3 a.m.

Here's let examplify:

In the endeavor, God birthed the ethereal and the dirt.

(for those 2 percenters out there in Oklahoma... that is Genesis 1:1 in thesaurus-speak)

mdklatt
5/22/2008, 05:37 PM
That is what happens when you use a thesaurus at 3 a.m.

A thesaurus should never be used without a dictionary.

NYC Poke
5/22/2008, 05:43 PM
I once met a guy from Atlanta named Dixon Hand. I didn't offer to shake it.

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 05:46 PM
I once met a guy from Atlanta named Dixon Hand. I didn't offer to shake it.

I once met a guy from Nantucket...

goingoneight
5/22/2008, 11:35 PM
So "loves2spooge" isn't allowed anymore?

tommieharris91
5/23/2008, 12:46 AM

I think I voted for this person.

badger
5/23/2008, 10:04 AM
I think I voted for this person.

:eek: You actually VOTED in those elections?!?! :eek:

:D j/k, I voted a few times also in order to get a bottle opener, cart rides to campus, and because someone asked oh-so nicely at union. I remember that year, I picked the first name on every list.

OklahomaRed
5/23/2008, 01:49 PM
Dude from HS who's name was Mike Hunt. :D He caught some serious hazing from everyone. :confused: Say it fast..........:D