PDA

View Full Version : Ground control to Colenel Homey

5/21/2008, 06:40 PM
My daughter and I are floating in the most peculiar way with your unannounced absence.

Rogue
5/21/2008, 09:37 PM
Colonel Homey-Doo, where are you?

olevetonahill
5/21/2008, 09:42 PM
All them Left leaning Liberace's done piszed him off .
:eek: :D

Rogue
5/21/2008, 09:48 PM
T'was the whole perspective about military service bein' or not-bein' akin to gubmint employment in any other way that did him in. His took exception to a few notions, got a little hot under the collar, and took a day off. He's either setting a good example for the rest of us or taking a radical departure from conventional SO etiquette by denying us the first ever Homey meltdown of epic proportions. He has his reputation to maintain, after all. ;)

In good fun, man. In good fun.

Frozen Sooner
5/21/2008, 09:53 PM
Well, I think he took a couple of things I said as derogatory to the military, which I'll go ahead and say is either a failure of understanding on my part or a failure to communicate on my part. However, being that's how he perceived my comments, I can understand why he'd get ticked.

Harry Beanbag
5/21/2008, 10:23 PM
To be fair Mike, it wasn't just you. There are some things that people can't learn by reading a book, googling it, or just thinking about. I'm not speaking for Homey here, but there is a cumulative effect of certain posters who like to pretend they know all about the military, what it's like being a member of the armed forces, and critiquing the performance and actions of the services and their members. Of course these critics have never and would never serve themselves because it's beneath them.

And I'm really not directing this at you Mike, I don't really remember you being in the group of which I'm speaking.

Blue
5/21/2008, 10:34 PM
I killed him.

KC//CRIMSON
5/21/2008, 10:39 PM
Maybe he went and did something crazy, you know, like, got a life?

like the rest of us should do from time to time....

Frozen Sooner
5/21/2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks for that. I hope I've never pretended to know what it's like being in the armed forces and I further hope that I've conveyed the deep respect that I have for people who put on a uniform and volunteer to step in front of bullets for me.

I'd like to think that had our nation been at war when I graduated from high school, or had I not gotten a full ride, that I would have enlisted-not that college was necessarily a better choice right out of high school, but that's just where my life took me.

Heck, you spent a few years crammed into a tube with a nuclear pile right next to you. I'll tell you right now-ain't no way I could do that. Gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking about it. Then agan, had I not gone Navy, I think both of my grandfathers would have smacked the crap out of me.

Anyhow, particularly with Memorial Day weekend staring us right in the face, here's to those who died in the service of our country. I know I've never intentionally dishonored their memory, and if I have unintentionally...well, I'm a jackass.

Pricetag
5/22/2008, 12:29 AM
To be fair Mike, it wasn't just you. There are some things that people can't learn by reading a book, googling it, or just thinking about. I'm not speaking for Homey here, but there is a cumulative effect of certain posters who like to pretend they know all about the military, what it's like being a member of the armed forces, and critiquing the performance and actions of the services and their members. Of course these critics have never and would never serve themselves because it's beneath them.
What you have just said can be applied to just about anything in life that we have not personally experienced, yet we love to run our mouths about them anyway.

Homey was painting with some pretty broad strokes there. We've all done it. A bit of that got reflected back at something near and dear to him (whether it actually applied or not), and he didn't like it one bit.

Homey is handling it like we'd all expect, and I hope he's back soon. I don't think Mike owes an apology to anyone.

5/22/2008, 04:05 AM
Ah. My reluctance to click the political threads kept me in the dark. With a little research, I see what happened.

OUr's is a strange blend of folks. A bunch of geeks, a few super-geeks, doctors (well, one that I know of), lawyers, students and average dorks out there making a living for themselves and/or their families.

We are very fortunate to have free and relative anonymous access to the advice and wisdom of those who choose to join OUr little fireside.

Got a physics question? Ask Ike.

How many "Hey Doc" threads have there been?

Everything from how to dispose of a dead horse, building a deck or asking and receiving prayers for a dying loved one are available right here.

Need a colorful yarn about a hole in one? ;)

I've even seen people get free (and competent) legal advice from a freaking horn. ;)

Point being, there are people among us who really know their **** and should be respected as such. You don't always have to agree with them, but it is probably wise to at least appreciate their stance and appreciate from where it derives.

SicEmBaylor
5/22/2008, 04:28 AM
You OU people are too tightly wound.

OU4LIFE
5/22/2008, 07:22 AM
Ah. My reluctance to click the political threads kept me in the dark. With a little research, I see what happened.

OUr's is a strange blend of folks. A bunch of geeks, a few super-geeks, doctors (well, one that I know of), lawyers, students and average dorks out there making a living for themselves and/or their families.

We are very fortunate to have free and relative anonymous access to the advice and wisdom of those who choose to join OUr little fireside.

Got a physics question? Ask Ike.

How many "Hey Doc" threads have there been?

Everything from how to dispose of a dead horse, building a deck or asking and receiving prayers for a dying loved one are available right here.

I've even seen people get free (and competent) legal advice from a freaking horn. ;)

Point being, there are people among us who really know their **** and should be respected as such. You don't always have to agree with them, but it is probably wise to at least appreciate their stance and appreciate from where it derives.

Apparently my golf tips are useless. Damn you 12, DAMN YOU.;)

Harry Beanbag
5/22/2008, 07:39 AM
What you have just said can be applied to just about anything in life that we have not personally experienced, yet we love to run our mouths about them anyway.

Perhaps, but one's honorable military service is a very personal matter and something that a person usually takes great pride in. At least I do.

It's not quite the same as me saying I don't like duck when in fact I've never eaten any.

Sooner in Tampa
5/22/2008, 07:52 AM
Perhaps, but one's honorable military service is a very personal matter and something that a person usually takes great pride in. At least I do.

It's not quite the same as me saying I don't like duck when in fact I've never eaten any.
Bingo. There are just some things that have to be experienced to understand/comprehend.
The brotherhood that is the military cannot be understood until one actually experiences it...I, for one, would not trade it for anything.

With that, I would just say that Mike did not say anything horrible or distasteful towards men and women in uniform. I just think he over simplified the gubmint worker vs. military discussion.

By relating the military to a simple government worker is a simply selling the folks in uniform short. I certainly don't think it was intentional. I is just like Harry is saying...somethings just can't be compared.

Mjcpr
5/22/2008, 08:42 AM
Has anyone mentioned that "it's just the internet" yet? It's usually a pretty popular saying during these times, for some anyway.

OU4LIFE
5/22/2008, 08:45 AM
a simple government worker

not to belittle government workers or anything.

yermom
5/22/2008, 08:51 AM
i guess Homey REALLY doesn't like government workers ;)

i don't know if i missed something in the thread, but i didn't read anything derogatory toward the military at all.

it seemed to have started when someone (Froz?) said something about people serving in the military getting funding for school with government programs, which i don't see how that is insulting

Sooner in Tampa
5/22/2008, 08:53 AM
not to belittle government workers or anything.
DOH...point taken.

Sorry...didn't mean to belittle all of us government workers.

OU4LIFE
5/22/2008, 09:00 AM
DOH...point taken.

Sorry...didn't mean to belittle all of us simple government workers.

No worries mate. I just couldn't resist.

Scott D
5/22/2008, 09:22 AM

Homey was painting with some pretty broad strokes there. We've all done it. A bit of that got reflected back at something near and dear to him (whether it actually applied or not), and he didn't like it one bit.

Homey is handling it like we'd all expect, and I hope he's back soon. I don't think Mike owes an apology to anyone.

this pretty much sums everything up perfectly.

Pricetag
5/22/2008, 09:24 AM

I understand. Nobody said they didn't like duck, by the way.

If one sees government work as so repulsive that the mere suggestion that his paycheck comes from the government causes such a reaction, perhaps he should reconsider his view there.

OU4LIFE
5/22/2008, 09:29 AM
I don't like duck.

JohnnyMack
5/22/2008, 09:31 AM
I had a HIO last night.

sooneron
5/22/2008, 09:33 AM
Mmm, duck tacos from ENE...

yummy

http://www.harvest2000.com/ene/images/dish.jpg

Sooner in Tampa
5/22/2008, 09:37 AM
I don't like duck.
Nor do I, but you should consider Duck Liver Pate...it is quite good.

OU4LIFE
5/22/2008, 09:50 AM
Nor do I, but you should consider Duck Liver Pate...it is quite good.

I don't swim, but thanks.

OU4LIFE
5/22/2008, 09:51 AM
I had a HIO last night.

YOU'RE A FOOKIN LIAR!;)

JohnnyMack
5/22/2008, 09:52 AM
True. The Mother In Law is staying with us. I got nuthin'.

:O

OU4LIFE
5/22/2008, 09:56 AM
that's more commonly referred to as a ****, not a HIO

JohnnyMack
5/22/2008, 09:58 AM
that's more commonly referred to as a ****, not a HIO

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~davet/blog/images/ccb-buscard.png

frankensooner
5/22/2008, 10:34 AM
It all started last week when he described himself as a "Moderate" ;)

KC//CRIMSON
5/22/2008, 12:48 PM
Duck is the bomb.

SoonerStormchaser
5/22/2008, 01:24 PM
OK...Homey is still alive and kicking, he's even been lurking around the boards. I think, though, that given the heated discussions going on on the particular political thread, he's stepping back and going "woooosaaaah" for a few days.

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 01:29 PM
OK...Homey is still alive and kicking, he's even been lurking around the boards. I think, though, that given the heated discussions going on on the particular political thread, he's stepping back and going "woooosaaaah" for a few days.

Well, as long as he is still with us in spirit, we will carry on:D

I just hope he comes back soon, I don't care for the new "Good Morning" guy;)

SoonerStormchaser
5/22/2008, 01:34 PM
:mad: :mad:

Sooner_Havok
5/22/2008, 01:37 PM
:mad: :mad:

:P

Hamhock
5/22/2008, 04:28 PM
he's bobcat hunting

StoopTroup
5/22/2008, 04:53 PM
I miss him. You folks better be nice to him to or when he comes back...he might have to straighten a few things out.

Homey don't play that!.

Hurry back Homey!

ST

_QhuBIkPXn0

5/22/2008, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I've tried duck and it isn't that good. Greasy and gamey.

About what I'd expect cat to taste like.

(no need for further 'ha ha funny' stuff about eating a cat)

SoonerInKCMO
5/22/2008, 08:21 PM
If y'all don't like duck, you ain't cookin' it right. It belongs on a spit with oranges and onions shoved up its ***.

Blue
5/23/2008, 12:56 AM
Would I be the only one who, "Doesn't give a ****?"

Sometimes people act like they're irreplaceable.

Vaevictis
5/23/2008, 01:47 AM
I give a ****.

Homey and I disagree. A lot. And I love discussing things with him and reading his posts because takes the time to try to understand your position, and he takes the time to compose a rational response -- and he never (that I've seen) resorts to ad hominem or straw man arguments. I actually learn stuff from him.

That's the kind of person that makes reading and posting on a message board worthwhile.

His absence is and would be a loss to this board.

Blue
5/23/2008, 01:51 AM
I give a ****.

Homey and I disagree. A lot. And I love discussing things with him and reading his posts because takes the time to try to understand your position, and he takes the time to compose a rational response -- and he never (that I've seen) resorts to ad hominem or straw man arguments. I actually learn stuff from him.

That's the kind of person that makes reading and posting on a message board worthwhile.

And your absence wouldn't be. Your slant is predictable from a mile away.

olevetonahill
5/23/2008, 01:52 AM
I give a ****.

I actually agree with this .

olevetonahill
5/23/2008, 01:53 AM
And your absence wouldn't be. Your slant is predictable from a mile away.

I remember Missing My Bud Blue a few months or so Back
Its all good Bro

SicEmBaylor
5/23/2008, 01:56 AM
I give a ****.

I think the same thing could be said about yourself. I know we've argued about a few things from time to time but always in a friendly fashion. I think you're extremely level-headed.

5/23/2008, 03:49 AM
Nice. Keepin' it real, eh tough guy?

Very good.

Blue
5/23/2008, 03:55 AM
I'm still up 12. Whatchu want?

5/23/2008, 03:59 AM
Good for you. Find peace and a good bed.

olevetonahill
5/23/2008, 04:20 AM
Good for you. Find peace and a good bed.

I found a good bed
It had a piece waiting On me .;)

5/23/2008, 04:33 AM
I'll no longer attempt to understand WTF is going on. By all means, carry on your conversation.

olevetonahill
5/23/2008, 04:50 AM
I'll no longer attempt to understand WTF is going on. By all means, carry on your conversation.

Best thing to do is Let go and Let God
if that dont work
Lets get drunk :D

OU4LIFE
5/23/2008, 07:24 AM
Yeah, I've tried duck and it isn't that good. Greasy and gamey.

About what I'd expect cat to taste like.

(no need for further 'ha ha funny' stuff about eating a cat)

I love cats, but I can't eat more than one.

olevetonahill
5/23/2008, 07:31 AM
I love cats, but I can't eat more than one.

The Day comes that I cant eat more than one Punanny .
Is the Day I hang up My Guns
:mad:

StoopTroup
5/23/2008, 05:38 PM
Can't just do some sort of animal sacrifice and get him back? :D ;)

r5TPsooner
5/23/2008, 06:02 PM
Would I be the only one who, "Doesn't give a ****?"

Sometimes people act like they're irreplaceable.

Green your way! Some folks take message boards way to seriously and I only say this cause I set next to Homey at all of the OU games and he prolly has his own reasons for taking a break.

Breaks from message boards are a good thing sometimes IMO.

I think we've all been offended or hurt by things that people post in one way or another.

Scott D
5/23/2008, 06:40 PM
Green your way! Some folks take message boards way to seriously and I only say this cause I set next to Homey at all of the OU games and he prolly has his own reasons for taking a break.

Breaks from message boards are a good thing sometimes IMO.

I think we've all been offended or hurt by things that people post in one way or another.

you know that when he posted that last night he was drunk and looking for a fight, right?

r5TPsooner
5/23/2008, 06:56 PM
you know that when he posted that last night he was drunk and looking for a fight, right?

So what you're saying is that you never posted anything stoopid or made a mistake on a message board before?

If so, a brownie for you. I'm not saying that it's right, I'm just saying that stoopid stuff is said on message boards all of the time.

To me it's just a bunch of words.

Harry Beanbag
5/23/2008, 10:04 PM
:les:IT'S JUST THE INTERNET!!!!11!!!!