PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand this

achiro
5/21/2008, 03:56 PM
One friend has a 2002 F-250 diesel with the 7.0, gets 21 mpg
I have a 2004 F-250 diesel with the 6.0, gets 16 mpg
another friend just bought a 2008 F-250 diesel with the 6.4, he's getting a whopping 10mpg!

I mean seriously, WTF!?!?!?! Shouldn't it be getting better instead of worse? GD guberment regs are killing the efficiency of the diesel motor!

yermom
5/21/2008, 04:00 PM
i'm sure it's nothing a chip and exhaust wouldn't fix ;)

StoopTroup
5/21/2008, 04:05 PM
Here's the chip....YWIA :D

http://www.mountainsofstone.com/images/Buffalo%20Chips.jpg

Vaevictis
5/21/2008, 04:05 PM
You do realize that many factors play into gas mileage, right?

1. Quality of gasoline
2. How well maintained the engine is
3. Driving style plays a huge role.

C&CDean
5/21/2008, 04:06 PM
You do realize that many factors play into gas mileage, right?

1. Quality of gasoline
2. How well maintained the engine is
3. Driving style plays a huge role.

diesels don't burn gasoline...

royalfan5
5/21/2008, 04:07 PM
Are any of them pulling heavy loads regularly?

mdklatt
5/21/2008, 04:11 PM
I got 40 MPG on my round trip to Dallas this weekend. Just thought I'd share. :texan:

mdklatt
5/21/2008, 04:13 PM
Are any of them pulling heavy loads regularly?

Is that a euphemism?

C&CDean
5/21/2008, 04:14 PM
I got 40 MPG on my round trip to Dallas this weekend. Just thought I'd share. :texan:

Yeah, but most of us wouldn't be seen in that liberalfagmobile you call a car.

Vaevictis
diesels don't burn gasoline...

True. I'm just so used to saying 'gas' :p

What I said still holds though. Many things impact your mileage: quality of fuel, how well you maintain your vehicle, and most importantly how you drive.

royalfan5
Is that a euphemism?

Negative. What would be the point of an F250 if you weren't pulling a trailer or hauling cargo on a frequent basis?

Vaevictis
5/21/2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah, but most of us wouldn't be seen in that liberalfagmobile you call a car.

Don't like Camry's? I get about 40MPG on long hauls in mine.

soonerinabilene
5/21/2008, 04:16 PM
Negative. What would be the point of an F250 if you weren't pulling a trailer or hauling cargo on a frequent basis?

To compensate for not being a "real" dr.;)

j/k chiro.:D

yermom
5/21/2008, 04:17 PM
i'd imagine someone wouldn't be pulling a load and comparing that mileage to something else

at least i'd hope so

C&CDean
5/21/2008, 04:18 PM
Don't like Camry's? I get about 40MPG on long hauls in mine.

My wife gets 42+ with her Toyota Yaris. The key words there being "my wife."

Vaevictis
5/21/2008, 04:21 PM
My wife gets 42+ with her Toyota Yaris. The key words there being "my wife."

Well, my point is that you can get decent mileage without stuffing yourself into a shoebox, or a Prius or a Yaris or something ;)

C&CDean
5/21/2008, 04:23 PM
Well, my point is that you can get decent mileage without stuffing yourself into a shoebox, or a Prius or a Yaris or something ;)

Agreed. A friend of mine went to a Corvette rally in Dallas last weekend. He claims he got 32 mpg on the trip down there. Then he got to run around the track at the Texas Motor Speedway at about 140 mph. I'm thinking his mileage dropped fairly dramatically...

Scott D
5/21/2008, 04:25 PM
I laugh at the commercials on tv today. In a 95 Grand Cherokee, I get 28-31 mpg on the freeway. Seems to me these little rocket cars get promoted as doing exactly the same.

yermom
5/21/2008, 04:28 PM
i hear that a lot with the LS# engines and the 6spd trannies

i'm jealous :)

a Yaris as a supplemental car would be cool, i think

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/21/2008, 04:32 PM
I get 4mpg on the highway onramp. Sometimes if I put it neutral on the highway, I get 99. Mostly, somewhere around 14-15 in town and when it drops to 4 cyl on the highway, around 20 something.

Cost me 110 to fill up last week. Cheap stuff.

achiro
5/22/2008, 11:00 AM
These kinds of milage are apparently pretty much the norm for the different engines. The diesel forums are full of these sorts of complaints. Most can get some decent improvement by increasing the size of the intake/exhaust and adding a chip for the 6.0 but the 6.4 is a disaster. It has some sort of "scrubber" system on the exhaust(something to do with low sulpher fuel) that is causing all kinds of problems. The 6.4 can't seem to be modified(yet) without major failures.

What I am saying here,and the point was apparently missed with all the, (in my whiniest, nasal filled voice) "different driving styles get different milage, pulling trailers lowers your milage" stuff, is that by adding all this EPA stuff to the engines, they are taking what is the most efficient kind of motor and turning it into a complete joke.
BTW, if you lower the sulpher emissions but decrease the milage significantly, do you actually end up with the same amount of emmission issues "per mile" because you burn more to get there?
You do also realize that volkswagon had to stop selling the turbo diesel in the US last year because of the emiisions laws. You, know the one that was getting 40+ mpg...

SoonerInKCMO
5/22/2008, 11:07 AM
You do also realize that volkswagon had to stop selling the turbo diesel in the US last year because of the emiisions laws. You, know the one that was getting 40+ mpg...

It's coming back in new, low-sulphur fuel burning form late this summer. Supposed to get about the same mileage.

mdklatt
5/22/2008, 11:08 AM
BTW, if you lower the sulpher emissions but decrease the milage significantly, do you actually end up with the same amount of emmission issues "per mile" because you burn more to get there?

Not necessarily. Is the percent reduction in sulfur greater than the percent reduction in MPG?

achiro
5/22/2008, 11:23 AM
It's coming back in new, low-sulphur fuel burning form late this summer. Supposed to get about the same mileage.

Yeah, it is suppose to get 50+ combined city/hwy and have some actual "umph" . Not a speed demon by any means but not terribly sluggish either.