PDA

View Full Version : Headstones

royalfan5
5/21/2008, 12:23 PM
Do you have yours yet? The reason I ask is, that I will be taking my Grandparents to the cemetaries that my family members on my Dad's side are buried in, and they always insist on taking me to see theirs, despite the fact that neither are deceased. Both sets of Granparents purchased headstones in the late 70's/early 80's and haven't really got any mileage out of them yet.
I was just curious if this was common?

proud gonzo
5/21/2008, 12:42 PM
i don't have a headstone yet, but i have a funeral plot.

I really want a crypt instead of a headstone, though.

JohnnyMack
5/21/2008, 12:46 PM
Spread me ashes on Owen Field please.

NormanPride
5/21/2008, 12:48 PM
Send me out on a boat and light it with a flaming arrow.

Scott D
5/21/2008, 12:51 PM
Do you have yours yet? The reason I ask is, that I will be taking my Grandparents to the cemetaries that my family members on my Dad's side are buried in, and they always insist on taking me to see theirs, despite the fact that neither are deceased. Both sets of Granparents purchased headstones in the late 70's/early 80's and haven't really got any mileage out of them yet.

seems to be more prevalent with the older generations. When my grandfather died, my grandmother....well my great grandfather purchased 5 plots right near each other. So, when my grandmother took my brother and I to the graveyard with her one time she showed us her plot which was next to where my grandfather was buried, and based on where the words on the headstones were, below my great grandfather and his two deceased wives whom were buried on each side of him.

Or maybe it's just that graveyards offer a 2 for 1 deal every so often ;)

JohnnyMack
5/21/2008, 12:52 PM
Send me out on a boat and light it with a flaming arrow.

We'll get drunk on Arrogant Bastard, toss you in a inflatable raft and set it on fire out on dirtybird. That work?

r5TPsooner
5/21/2008, 12:56 PM
No, but I have an OU casket picked out.

proud gonzo
5/21/2008, 01:09 PM
Send me out on a boat and light it with a flaming arrow.if I lived on a lake I'd DEFINITELY vote for viking funeral.

Sooner_Havok
5/21/2008, 01:12 PM
I am voting for a huge Roman style funeral pier.

Sooner_Havok
5/21/2008, 01:12 PM

Kind of macabre don't you think?

royalfan5
5/21/2008, 01:14 PM
Kind of macabre don't you think?

Yes, but that is pretty much par for the course with my family.

5/21/2008, 01:36 PM
I'm being donated then toasted. No need for a stone unless someone is just all fired up about planting one somewhere.

I imagine I'll be an organic part of the municipal landfill one day.

royalfan5
5/21/2008, 01:38 PM
Upon further review, I should have added a stuffed like Lenin and a frozen in carbonite option.

Viking Kitten
5/21/2008, 01:52 PM
When my Grandma died a couple years back, I got stuck with the task of calling all her old friends to let them know. One of them, a lady in her 70s, shared with me that she hated going to the particular cemetery where we buried my Grandma because she had a headstone there. When her first husband died about 25 years prior to us talking, she had purchased one with her name on it too. Then sure enough, she got remarried, had been blissfully happy and realized she actually wanted to be buried with husband number two. The old monument was just a painful, creepy reminder of her own mortality.

My stepdad is in the same boat; he no longer wants to be buried with his first wife, and he wants to be buried with my mom to whom he has been married for 16 years. He has no idea how to tell my stepbrother this. That's going to put my mom in a wierd, uncomfortable situation if she has to make that call, since the plot and stone are already there.

What I have learned from these stories is the time to buy a headstone is when you're dead, because you just never know what life is going to hand you. In any case, I believe memorials and monuments are for the living, not the dead. That's why I'd rather my children and other loved ones pick it out, since it will be their memorial to me. If I am important enough for them to remember, I want them to memorialize me in the way they think is appropriate. I'll be dead, so I just can't imagine I'll care all that much what it looks like.

Beef
5/21/2008, 01:55 PM
I want to be recycled into crayons.

Viking Kitten
5/21/2008, 01:57 PM
I should also mention that I've told my family numerous times that if my innards are still working, they damn well better donate them to somebody who can use them or Ima come back and haunt somebody. I imagine my beating heart saving someone's life would be the most amazing memorial there is.

Sooner_Havok
5/21/2008, 02:00 PM
I should also mention that I've told my family numerous times that if my innards are still working, they damn well better donate them to somebody who can use them or Ima come back and haunt somebody. I imagine my beating heart saving someone's life would be the most amazing memorial there is.

Yeah, I like the idea of donation, but it kind of creeps me out a bit. If my ticker is still ticking, am I really 100% dead?

Scott D
5/21/2008, 02:06 PM
"Here lies Viking Kitten"
"Horses over Oklahoma rejoice"

ok that was turrible ;)

SouthFortySooner
5/21/2008, 02:40 PM
...be fertilizer. Come back as something good to eat. :D

C&CDean
5/21/2008, 02:41 PM
My kids can take a few bucks outta their inheritance and buy me a mausoleum, a crypt, a stone, a plaque, a postage stamp sized marker, or nothing at all. I'd be dead, so WTF would I care?

Viking Kitten
5/21/2008, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I like the idea of donation, but it kind of creeps me out a bit. If my ticker is still ticking, am I really 100% dead?

"It just so happens your friend here is only MOSTLY dead."

http://www.aquinasandmore.com/images/miraclemaxprincessbride.jpg

trey
5/21/2008, 03:18 PM
roll my ashes up and smoke 'em

Pricetag
5/21/2008, 03:50 PM
One day, I'm going to have to have a serious conversation with my wife about this stuff. My family has always cremated their dead, and hers buries them.

Statistics show that I will probably be the first to go, so the ultimate decision will be hers. I just can't understand the need to bury. It seems so wasteful in many ways.

Beef
5/21/2008, 03:54 PM
roll my ashes up and smoke 'em

Twice smoked trey?
:gary:

StoopTroup
5/21/2008, 03:55 PM
I used to get headstoned...

I just did it to be cool around the babes.

GoOwls
5/21/2008, 04:07 PM
Shoot me off into space, please.

Rocket-caskets are the wave of the future.

soonerbrat
5/21/2008, 05:42 PM
One day, I'm going to have to have a serious conversation with my wife about this stuff. My family has always cremated their dead, and hers buries them.

Statistics show that I will probably be the first to go, so the ultimate decision will be hers. I just can't understand the need to bury. It seems so wasteful in many ways.

you should have that conversation before "one day"...you never know what's going to happen

Rogue
5/21/2008, 09:45 PM
I'm with Dean and VK on this one, I don't care.
I have a living will and very much care what kind or heinous last-minute futile medical care I get, or more importantly that I DON'T get because I don't want it.

After that, the only thing I care about is that nobody in my family gives Mrs. Rogue a hard time about any of it if, god-wlling, I go before her. Whatever she wants is fine and I'll haunt anyone that harrasses her about it. Cremation is better'n being pickled I s'pose but my church still wants me buried in hallowed ground. Fine, if she agrees. Frankly, the less space I take up the better, if she agrees. If Mrs. Rogue wants to cryogenically freeze me and shoot me to the moon I'm sure I won't care as long as she doesn't get any crap from the rest of the fam. Funeral, celebration of life, a few peeps saying some words and burning some sage, whatever she wants. If she goes with me or before me, I still don't care as long as nobody is fightin' over anything to do with my meager belongings, any cash I happen to have left behind due to bad planning, or anything else to do with the late Mr. Rogue.

I think I just wrote my last will and testament on soonerfans.com :cool:

soonerboomer93
5/21/2008, 09:51 PM
I already know I'm to cremate my parents, know where all the docs are.

I personally would rather just be cremated, or boiled and sold as high end soap :D

SicEmBaylor
5/21/2008, 10:00 PM
i don't have a headstone yet, but i have a funeral plot.

I really want a crypt instead of a headstone, though.

I agree with that completely. That's what I want, but I don't intend to make any sort of arrangements for myself. My family can do that when I'm dead.

If I were to have a headstone though I'd want it in the style of one of those 18th/17th century New England headstones.

Frozen Sooner
5/21/2008, 10:05 PM
I donated my body to science, but then I found it just hanging out in a Salvation Army thrift store. I felt kind of cheated.

olevetonahill
5/21/2008, 10:12 PM
Throw me In a Ditch , Coyotes gots to eat to .

texas bandman
5/22/2008, 12:46 PM
I want to be in charge of what's on my own tombstone, so that I know that it's done right. Why delegate? :D

BajaOklahoma
5/22/2008, 06:53 PM
I like the double headstones that have both parent's names on the front, including the wife's maiden name. Between their names is the date of marriage. On the back side, they list the children's names and dates of birth.
For those interested in genealogy, it is a tremendous help.
The cemetary on the southside of Wynnewood has a tremendous number of these headstones.

SicEmBaylor
5/22/2008, 06:56 PM
All I want on mine is the inscription, "Here lies a loyal Baylor bear."
I also want one of those SCV markers for the headstone.

stoopified
5/22/2008, 07:57 PM
I'm going to be cremated and scattered on Owen Field,no need for headstone.

SoonerInKCMO
5/22/2008, 08:26 PM
All I want on mine is the inscription, "Here lies a loyal Baylor bear."
I also want one of those SCV markers for the headstone.

"So loyal he never got around to graduating." :texan: