PDA

View Full Version : More crap from the airlines.

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2008, 09:04 AM
Get ready ladies and gentlemen...wanna fly American? Wanna check in just one bag? Well, now it's gonna cost you!

Today, American introduced a $15 fee for the first checked bag, given the increasing costs of transporting checked baggage. This fee, which is effective for tickets purchased on or after June 15, does not apply to: American's AAdvantage program members who have achieved AAdvantage Gold, AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Executive Platinum level; those who have purchased full-fare tickets in the Economy, Business and First Class cabins; and those with international itineraries (except to and from Canada and U.S. territories, such as Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands).

First, it was pay $$ to get a decent seat. Then it was all the damn fuel surcharges! Then it was pay $25 for every checked bag after the first one. Now this. What's next? $5 to use the lav?

royalfan5
5/21/2008, 09:05 AM
Well, they aren't there to run a charity.

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2008, 09:07 AM
Well, what about if you have to fly a regional carrier and you can't fit anything bigger than a freaking purse in their overhead bins?

royalfan5
5/21/2008, 09:10 AM
Well, what about if you have to fly a regional carrier and you can't fit anything bigger than a freaking purse in their overhead bins?
Then you'll pay the extra money or go Greyhound. Cheap air travel isn't a right.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/21/2008, 09:10 AM
This is why I don't fly AA. I doubt if many airlines will follow this lead. You have a point on the RJs. With the TSA limits, I check everything now.

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2008, 09:16 AM
Then you'll pay the extra money or go Greyhound. Cheap air travel isn't a right.

Then why is Southwest still MAKING money?

The majority of airlines in this country didn't get to this nickel and diming phase because of high gas and people refusing to pay fair prices for tickets. They got here because of their mismanagement....and we the passengers are now paying for it.

royalfan5
5/21/2008, 09:19 AM

The majority of airlines in this country didn't get to this nickel and diming phase because of high gas and people refusing to pay fair prices for tickets. They got here because of their mismanagement....and we the passengers are now paying for it.

Yep. That's capitalism for you. If you continue to reward bad management by flying with them, don't bitch if it doesn't get better.

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2008, 09:22 AM
And that's why I'm not flying AA AAnymore for personal trips.

Mjcpr
5/21/2008, 09:28 AM
Link? I'm not finding that article anywhere.

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2008, 09:32 AM
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080521/law515.html?.v=7

sooner n houston
5/21/2008, 09:43 AM
I got a word for y'all:

Southwest!

C&CDean
5/21/2008, 09:44 AM
Just become Exec Plat and quit your bitchin'. I'll be flying AA home again tomorrow.

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2008, 09:45 AM
I knew you'd opine on this one :dean:. You're exempt from this as you're elite. The rest of us peons have to pay...

NormanPride
5/21/2008, 10:08 AM
South.

West.

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2008, 10:11 AM
Fly

them

a

lot!

mdklatt
5/21/2008, 10:28 AM

Because they actually charge more for a ticket than it costs them to fly you. What a concept.

mdklatt
5/21/2008, 10:30 AM

I doubt that gate-checked carry-ons are considered checked baggage.

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2008, 10:33 AM
Actually, reading into it and talking with some of my peeps on airliners.net, it sounds like they will, in fact, charge you to gate check as well!

mdklatt
5/21/2008, 10:41 AM
Actually, reading into it and talking with some of my peeps on airliners.net, it sounds like they will, in fact, charge you to gate check as well!

They could just raise ticket prices by $30, would that be any better?

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2008, 10:46 AM
At least it's not gonna be a last minute shocker like it will to countless passengers when they get to the airport.

olevetonahill
5/21/2008, 10:59 AM

You store your Purse In the Over head Bin ?

NormanPride
5/21/2008, 11:00 AM
Does Southwest deal with unions?

royalfan5
5/21/2008, 11:02 AM

Southwest have a pretty significant union presence.

mdklatt
5/21/2008, 11:03 AM

Yes, but they have a much better relationship with them than other carriers.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/21/2008, 12:56 PM

Because SWA is on a different business plan. They are NOT a full service carrier. They do not have first class or an international feeder system or elite flyers like the rest. People flying SWA pretty much know the drill is bare bones and pay as you go. So they are happier with less. I don't get SWA as far as Houston is concerned, I have never found their fares anywhere much better than the majors here.

OUDoc
5/21/2008, 01:06 PM
I never go anywhere. :(

soonerboomer93
5/21/2008, 01:42 PM
Because SWA is on a different business plan. They are NOT a full service carrier. They do not have first class or an international feeder system or elite flyers like the rest. People flying SWA pretty much know the drill is bare bones and pay as you go. So they are happier with less. I don't get SWA as far as Houston is concerned, I have never found their fares anywhere much better than the majors here.

exactly, THA. I'll continue to use United as my main airline for now. I've had some problems with them, I admit, but I'll continue to use the privilidges I get with them. I board first, I can get extra leg room in economy class, I have express lane security service at some airports, I get an extra bag checked at no charge. They like to randomly give me upgrade certs so I can get additional ones

SanJoaquinSooner
5/21/2008, 02:06 PM
I'd gladly pay an extra $15 for a ticket if the airlines went back to the policy of hiring good looking stewardesses.

Scott D
5/21/2008, 02:15 PM

most carriers are heading in that direction, at least while their fuel costs are high and growing. Most are also going to be upping the fee for oversized/overweight checked baggage as well.

Sooner_Havok
5/21/2008, 02:25 PM
I never go anywhere. :(

Join the club. Want to go halfsies on a cabin at Texoma?

mdklatt
5/21/2008, 02:38 PM
I just got an e-mail alert about round-trip discount fare from DFW to Orlando for $189. Has anybody been on a US domestic flight since 2001 that wasn't full or nearly so? So why are they offering discounted rates when the flights are already full and their costs are skyrocketing? Brilliant!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/21/2008, 02:39 PM
the biggest problem with this charge is that while i have permanent platinum status on AA, my family doesn't. i called in to check if they were covered under my status and was told no. thinking about trying tomorrow with a different agent cause that's really going to suck when i start trying to burn my miles.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/21/2008, 02:41 PM
I just got an e-mail alert about round-trip discount fare from DFW to Orlando for $189. Has anybody been on a US domestic flight since 2001 that wasn't full or nearly so? So why are they offering discounted rates when the flights are already full and their costs are skyrocketing? Brilliant!

its probably a new flight that they are trying to get people hooked on. they did the same thing when they opened up service to ireland -> $325 round trip.

mdklatt
5/21/2008, 02:47 PM
its probably a new flight that they are trying to get people hooked on.

I'm pretty sure there are already a brazillion flights a day from DFW to Orlando. Even the regular airfares aren't enough for airlines to make money. Southwest hasn't been the cheapest airline for a long time, yet they have lower costs than everybody. And they're the only one that consistently makes money. Hmmm.....

A couple of months ago I read that priority ATC handling and diversions due to minimum fuel were increasing dramatically. Not for Uncle Bob in his Cessna, but for airline flights. They're cutting it so close with fuel planning now that the slightest unanticipated delay turns into a fuel emergency.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/21/2008, 03:01 PM
we went to orlando in jan and there were only 4 times from dfw to mco on AA at the time. we actually flew frontier because AA has moved the mad dogs back into seattle (had been 737s) and they are sucktastic for carting 2 kids across the country.

OUDoc
5/21/2008, 03:34 PM
Join the club. Want to go halfsies on a cabin at Texoma?

In!

Scott D
5/21/2008, 04:18 PM
I'm pretty sure there are already a brazillion flights a day from DFW to Orlando. Even the regular airfares aren't enough for airlines to make money. Southwest hasn't been the cheapest airline for a long time, yet they have lower costs than everybody. And they're the only one that consistently makes money. Hmmm.....

A couple of months ago I read that priority ATC handling and diversions due to minimum fuel were increasing dramatically. Not for Uncle Bob in his Cessna, but for airline flights. They're cutting it so close with fuel planning now that the slightest unanticipated delay turns into a fuel emergency.

always easier to have lower costs than everybody when you're afraid to fly outside of the country. Hell, they don't even fly to Hawaii. And from what I hear seats are all first come first serve.

C&CDean
5/21/2008, 04:21 PM
always easier to have lower costs than everybody when you're afraid to fly outside of the country. Hell, they don't even fly to Hawaii. And from what I hear seats are all first come first serve.

Southwest Airlines reminds me cattle sale day. I round em' up, and start them down the narrowing alley into the loading chute and just keep hotshotting the last one so she'll push the rest of the loafers in. Only now you can print your boarding passes from home so you can be in the "A" loading chute. Meh. SWA sucks the big one.

Scott D
5/21/2008, 04:23 PM
Southwest Airlines reminds me cattle sale day. I round em' up, and start them down the narrowing alley into the loading chute and just keep hotshotting the last one so she'll push the rest of the loafers in. Only now you can print your boarding passes from home so you can be in the "A" loading chute. Meh. SWA sucks the big one.

I agree, I was just looking at flights. Cheaper for me to take Northwest to OKC than it would be to fly Southwest to OKC. Plus I get MILES! :D

StoopTroup
5/21/2008, 04:33 PM
You crybabies better get ready to pay up! :D ;)

StoopTroup
5/21/2008, 04:43 PM

This one is pretty easy for me to answer.

Herb K. did a great job and picked the Boeing 737 as the ONLY plane they use. He also has been good at giving the traveling public what most of them want. I hear he going to step down soon...they'll miss him is my guess.

They don't have to worry about stocking parts for many different planes and if they make a major change it's for only one fleet type.

The hub airlines aren't operated that way and their maintenance costs have been a sore in their side for quite a long time.

I think your starting to see them realize they are going to have to not only set lots of these old gas guzzlers down in the desert...they are going to need to decide who is going to get their future business when purchasing aircraft and try to concentrate on maybe 3 Aircraft Fleet types at the most.

I think American had over 11 or 12 different fleet types at one time in the 1990's. What a mess that must have been to keep up with.

Vaevictis
5/21/2008, 05:06 PM
Another reason SWA still makes money: they have a superior hedging strategy which has paid dividends repeatedly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/29/business/29hedge.html

Scott D
5/21/2008, 05:30 PM
I still have to wonder how much money the other airlines would save if they did away with such inconveniences as flying to Hawaii and Alaska. :D

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2008, 05:35 PM
No one lives in Alaska anyways...can't we just get rid of it?

Frozen Sooner
5/21/2008, 05:38 PM
I still have to wonder how much money the other airlines would save if they did away with such inconveniences as flying to Hawaii and Alaska. :D

Feel free. I'm happy to fly Alaska Airlines over any other carrier.

Of course, they're late all the time and they're actually based in Seattle, but I still like flying them better than anyone else.

Me, I wonder how much money the airlines would save if people who bitched about every little thing weren't constatly tying up their gate attendants. ;)

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2008, 05:40 PM
I love Alaska...best ride I've ever had (besides flying in first class on Delta with my wife).

VeeJay
5/21/2008, 05:50 PM
i hear Delta is taking a quart of blood before letting you on their planes.

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2008, 05:53 PM
Next up: Northwest wants your firstborn in exchange for seat assignments!

Scott D
5/22/2008, 09:08 AM
Feel free. I'm happy to fly Alaska Airlines over any other carrier.

Of course, they're late all the time and they're actually based in Seattle, but I still like flying them better than anyone else.

Me, I wonder how much money the airlines would save if people who bitched about every little thing weren't constatly tying up their gate attendants. ;)

There's a reason that Alaska and the now defunct Aloha Airlines regularly scored the highest in customer service ;)