PDA

View Full Version : Sporting news ranks BIG XII players!!

sooner n houston
5/21/2008, 08:23 AM
Pretty good article!

My favorite:
Offensive line

1. Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
2. Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma
3. Colin Brown, Missouri
4. Adam Ulatoski, Texas
5. Ryan Miller, Colorado

Quick thoughts: Brandon Walker nearly made the list -- he's No.6 -- and he gives OU three of the league's top six linemen.
:D

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=413961

r5TPsooner
5/21/2008, 08:26 AM
With the way that they played in the Fiesta Bowl, that is quite surprising.

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2008, 08:29 AM
What is this fiesta bowl that you speak of?

soonerfan28
5/21/2008, 08:32 AM
I think Gresham is the best in the league and yes Coffman is good, but he's not Gresham and then you have the cop beater ahead of him also. Bogus. How do you not have Eldridge on the list. Lucky was good coming out of high school, but he's not best in the league.

starrca23
5/21/2008, 08:51 AM
i guess I don't watch enough football. How is DeMarco below Marlon Lucky?

soonerfan28
5/21/2008, 09:00 AM

I guess because he is inconsistent. So what was Lucky. Consistent.

Blitzkrieg
5/21/2008, 09:04 AM
I have no problem with Gresham and Murray starting below players they are better than considering the other players have much more PT and face time on television to date.

The list at the end of the year is the important one.

soonerfan28
5/21/2008, 09:08 AM
The list at the end of the year is the important one.

I agree.

starrca23
5/21/2008, 09:08 AM
I guess his number of carries was inconsistent. Also, he probably isn't taking into account Demarco's abilities in the return game. I will quit whinning now.

soonerfan28
5/21/2008, 09:10 AM
I think sometime it just feels like these guys don't get any respect.

royalfan5
5/21/2008, 09:12 AM
Lucky did run for over a 1000 yards, and caught 75 passes last year. Considering what was going on around him, that was a pretty decent year.

Blitzkrieg
5/21/2008, 09:25 AM
Lucky is a good back, the problem was the hype and AD comparisons that Sker fans were placing on him. He is a very good, well rounded back that can fit into about any system.

You have to remember these writers are only seeing a few of our games, and might not have the same blind affinity for our players. I personally don't think Loadholt belongs on that list based on last year. He is good, he should have been All American last year. This might be his year.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2008, 09:45 AM
With the way that they played in the Fiesta Bowl, that is quite surprising.

Goes to show you how quickly those games are forgotten.....bottom line though is both of them are gonna get gabillions of dollars barring injury next year

Mad Dog Madsen
5/21/2008, 10:37 AM

O God PLEASE don't start that again!!!

Scott D
5/21/2008, 11:02 AM
I think sometime it just feels like these guys don't get any respect.

next we'll make sure that the coaching staff hides the praise articles and only shows them the 'they suck, they are over rated' articles for eternity. ;)

badger
5/21/2008, 11:28 AM

It is no longer "On Notice." It is simply DEAD TO ME:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1241/onnoticede4.jpg

stoops the eternal pimp
5/21/2008, 11:34 AM
Badger you need to post that everytime someone brings one of those subjects up

badger
5/21/2008, 12:26 PM
Badger you need to post that everytime someone brings one of those subjects up

Nah, there is so much "dead to me" from Sooner football, basketball and other things that I would much rather see other people's creativity when it comes to the list.

They are very easy to create (go to the site in the bottom right corner), type in your list and then save it. Free hosting at imageshack.us and NO FARK SKILLS REQUIRED!

Here, I'll make another:
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2007/onnoticesk0.jpg
To reiterate:

1- Go to shipbrook.com/onnotice
2- Fill in the blanks with your most awesome list possible.
3- Click the "make list" button, or whatever its called.
4- Right click the image and "save image"
5- Go to imageshack.us
6- Host your image.
7- Come back here and post your list!

Do it! Do it now! It's perfectly relevant to this thread... Sporting News has their list which has far too few OU players and it would be so simple for them to just copy and paste our entire roster... hmm...
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/958/onnoticesr4.jpg

soonerinabilene
5/21/2008, 01:04 PM
Pretty good article!

My favorite:
Offensive line

3. Colin Brown, Missouri
4. Adam Ulatoski, Texas
5. Ryan Miller, Colorado

Quick thoughts: Brandon Walker nearly made the list -- he's No.6 -- and he gives OU three of the league's top six linemen.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=413961

Loadholt is on that list solely based on his size and potential. He HAS to become a more mature player when it comes to stupid penalties like false starts and holding in order to DESERVE to be on that list.

Sco
5/21/2008, 09:20 PM
I like how the only lists we're not on are punter and kicker.

goingoneight
5/21/2008, 10:02 PM
How many times did you see Sam get blind-sided last year from the weak side? Loadholt got a workout with all the left-side blitzing he took on. But like stated above, he does have too many penalties. To do what he did coming out of JUCO is impressive, though.

NYC Poke
5/21/2008, 10:11 PM
I like how the only lists we're not on are punter and kicker.

IIRC, we've got both a punter and a kicker, and the kicker isn't on the team any more.

soonerfan28
5/21/2008, 10:20 PM
How many times did you see Sam get blind-sided last year from the weak side? Loadholt got a workout with all the left-side blitzing he took on. But like stated above, he does have too many penalties. To do what he did coming out of JUCO is impressive, though.
I agree and with another spring and going against English in practice he should be much improved.

ric311
5/23/2008, 11:22 AM
Darrell Scott is ranked the #5 RB in the league and he's still in high school.

badger
5/23/2008, 11:26 AM
Darrell Scott is ranked the #5 RB in the league and he's still in high school.

Wow, that's like paying an NFL rookie more than Tom Brady and Peyton Manning for being a stud in college!

...wait a sec... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

boomersooner28
5/23/2008, 11:53 AM
Is Matt Hayes a MU homer or what? CD better than Bradford? Nope. Maclin better than Crabtree? Seriously? No way. And Gresham is better than Coffman.

JLEW1818
5/23/2008, 12:10 PM
BIG QUESTION

Do you guys think if Loadholt would have came to Oklahoma out of high school, he would be a way better player? Coaching wise.

bonkuba
5/23/2008, 12:52 PM
I think Gresham is the best in the league and yes Coffman is good, but he's not Gresham and then you have the cop beater ahead of him also. Bogus. How do you not have Eldridge on the list. Lucky was good coming out of high school, but he's not best in the league.

Off subject a little....but a nice note.

I own a tire store in town and Gresham comes in from time to time to pick up cars for a business in town. VERY nice and well mannered young man. I believe he will do great things as long as he keeps the same attitude towards life.

He is very humble and doesn't say "Hey look at me" when he walks in the door.....however, he is kinda hard to miss. He has really put on a lot of muscle since his high school days.....wow.

My son (4) does like to say "Boomer!!!" to him though!!! :D

soonerfan28
5/23/2008, 01:07 PM
Off subject a little....but a nice note.

I own a tire store in town and Gresham comes in from time to time to pick up cars for a business in town. VERY nice and well mannered young man. I believe he will do great things as long as he keeps the same attitude towards life.
I don't know the guy at all, but I do know that you never see his name out there for getting in trouble or crying about balls coming his way. Sooner Illustrated had a nice article about him and can't wait to see what he does this year.

He is very humble and doesn't say "Hey look at me" when he walks in the door.....however, he is kinda hard to miss. He has really put on a lot of muscle since his high school days.....wow.

My son (4) does like to say "Boomer!!!" to him though!!! :DI don't know the guy at all, but I do know that you never see his name out there for getting in trouble or crying about balls coming his way. Sooner Illustrated had a nice article about him and can't wait to see what he does this year.

RedstickSooner
5/23/2008, 03:42 PM
Couple thoughts:

1) For winning all them recruiting national championships, poor Mac sure isn't scoring very well in the talent department. Or so this list would claim.

2) Does Mizzou actually have decent talent, or is there just a lot of man-love for them on account of them coming ever-so-close to playing for all the marbles last year? Shame those poor boys had to play us twice, huh? ;)

JLEW1818
5/23/2008, 03:59 PM
Quarterback

1. Chase Daniel, Missouri
2. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
3. Todd Reesing, Kansas
4. Graham Harrell, Texas Tech
5. Colt McCoy, Texas

Running back

1. Marlon Lucky, Nebraska
2. Mike Goodson, Texas A&M
3. DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma
4. Jocques Crawford, Kansas
5. Darrell Scott, Colorado
WR
1. Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
2. Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
3. Juaquin Iglesias, Oklahoma
4. Dexton Fields, Kansas
5. Josh Smith, Colorado

Tight end

1. Chase Coffman, Missouri
2. Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State
3. Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma
4. Bradley Dedeaux, Kansas
5. Patrick Devenny, Colorado

Offensive line

3. Colin Brown, Missouri
4. Adam Ulatoski, Texas
5. Ryan Miller, Colorado

Kicker

1. Jeff Wolfert, Missouri
2. Ryan Bailey, Texas
3. Brooks Rossman, Kansas State
4. Alex Henry, Nebraska
5. Jason Ricks, Oklahoma State

Defensive line

1. Ian Campbell, Kansas State
2. George Hypolite, Colorado
3. Auston English, Oklahoma
4. Stryker Sulak, Missouri
5. Demarcus Granger, Oklahoma

Linebacker

1. Joe Mortenson, Kansas
2. Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
3. Ryan Reynolds, Oklahoma
4. Joe Pawelek, Baylor
5. Rashad Bobino, Texas

Defensive back

1. William Moore, Missouri
2. Nic Harris, Oklahoma
3. Jordan Lake, Baylor
4. Darrell Stuckey, Kansas
5. Jamar Wall, Texas Tech

Punter

1. Justin Brantley, Texas A&M
2. Jonathan LaCour, Texas Tech
3. Dan Titchener, Nebraska
4. Matt Fodge, Oklahoma State
5. Mike Brandtner, Iowa State

Ryan Reynolds getting ranked 3 is pretty respectful. Maybe this website See's something great yet to come in him.

JLEW1818
5/23/2008, 04:00 PM
There is going to be 1 game this year that comes down to a field goal. How is are kicker looking??

VA Sooner
5/23/2008, 09:54 PM
Loadholt has got the size and strength... just needs to work on his timing and getting his feet set. Too many false starts and that killed us time and time again. But no worries about the offensive line this year.

Defense is what we'll need to win championships. If Auston stays healthy and the linebacker situation settles out, it will be a very good year.

BoulderSooner79
5/23/2008, 10:41 PM
Loadholt is on that list solely based on his size and potential. He HAS to become a more mature player when it comes to stupid penalties like false starts and holding in order to DESERVE to be on that list.

Fix the false starts - sure. But the the holding penalties (in the bowl game, I assume) ? The DE was jumping around him so fast it was either hold or just yell "Lookout, Sam!". I think he made he right choice as we need Sam for a while. The only way to fix it is to improve footwork and maybe lose 25lbs.

Blitzkrieg
5/24/2008, 10:42 AM
An outsider would not see that Gresham is better than Coffman at this point, but I think that will be evident this year about halfway through the season. Coffman doesnt have Rucker on the other side to draw attention, he will be a priority this year. Don't be fooled, he is an NFL talent, but so is Gresham, and Greshams upside is higher.

Maclin is in no way better than Crabtree, although Crabtree gets the drops at bad times. Maclin is a unreal talent, but I don't see him being a stud NFL WR. Pro corners can man up on him at the line and make his life tough.

Yes, Daniel is better than Bradford at this time. Bradford can prove it on the field this year, and I hope he does.

JLEW1818
5/24/2008, 01:34 PM
An outsider would not see that Gresham is better than Coffman at this point, but I think that will be evident this year about halfway through the season. Coffman doesnt have Rucker on the other side to draw attention, he will be a priority this year. Don't be fooled, he is an NFL talent, but so is Gresham, and Greshams upside is higher.

Maclin is in no way better than Crabtree, although Crabtree gets the drops at bad times. Maclin is a unreal talent, but I don't see him being a stud NFL WR. Pro corners can man up on him at the line and make his life tough.

Yes, Daniel is better than Bradford at this time. Bradford can prove it on the field this year, and I hope he does.

SAID PERFECTLY.

soonerfan28
5/26/2008, 08:46 AM

I agree with everything except that Daniel is better then Bradford. Statistically yes, but he's played a year longer then Bradford. He's a system QB. The Missouri offense is perfect for his skills, but Bradford is a better all around QB. Bradford could play in multiple systems and I don't think Daniel could. He couldn't seem to lead his team when they needed it and that has to be figured in.

Scott D
5/26/2008, 10:09 AM
I agree with everything except that Daniel is better then Bradford. Statistically yes, but he's played a year longer then Bradford. He's a system QB. The Missouri offense is perfect for his skills, but Bradford is a better all around QB. Bradford could play in multiple systems and I don't think Daniel could. He couldn't seem to lead his team when they needed it and that has to be figured in.

Keep in mind these are pre-season rankings so 90% of what they say are based upon the performance of at minimum the previous season. It's the same with why they put Maclin over Crabtree. Crabtree is a better 'pure' receiver than Maclin. However, Maclin is a triple threat player in the return game, receiving, and some running plays put in for him as well. So overall Maclin looks like a better player by the numbers, and Crabtree the better pass catcher by the numbers. Plus I think being in Mike Leach's Xbox 360 offense hurts Crabtree in the world of outside perception.

King Crimson
5/26/2008, 10:34 AM
i'm not totally sold on Marlon Lucky. he's talented but he doesn't seem like a guy who can carry it 25 times a game and put the team on his back.

he gives you as many 2nd and 11's as 2nd and 2's. i think Murray is kind of the same way. a big year from Brown makes us a better team IMO.

josh09
5/26/2008, 10:54 AM
Mike Goodson above Demarco? Please.

josh09
5/26/2008, 10:55 AM
And HOW is Gresham #3?! Ive never even heard of the poke guy

badger
5/26/2008, 11:00 AM
I think it comes down to the fact that they need to show kudos to other teams in the Big 12 besides us. Sure, Goodson isn't much of a back because he has no size to him. Sure, Lucky should have done something in college career by now if he was any good.

However, gotta give a little love to our fellow Big 12 schools, because if the list was filled with Oklahoma players, the other teams would be crying foul.

Now, at the END of the season,when we're champions, undefeated and won games by an average of 50 points, THEN we can cry foul back at them when they haven't put our entire roster on the All-Big 12 list.

sooner518
5/26/2008, 12:01 PM
:stunned: Where's Spud?! Dad-Gum Gooners probably paid that writer to put Murrey ahed of Spud, the best back in the countree and part of thee most ecksplosive offence in the wurld! We are taleback U!!! :stunned: