PDA

View Full Version : NBA Finals Matchup

SoonerSinger3
5/20/2008, 10:08 PM
I really wanna see a Lakers-Celtics matchup like it was in the 80s. This is the first time in years I have actually enjoyed the NBA playoffs. Celtics looked good tonight. Who do you guys think is going to make it to the Finals?
Also, do you think guys think these present day Lakers, Spurs, and Celtics could beat either the Lakers or the Celtics of the 80s? I don't think so.

Mixer!
5/20/2008, 10:25 PM
poal it.

poke4christ
5/20/2008, 11:01 PM
Same here man. Screw the the pistons and the spurs, they've had their time. It's time to get back to old school.

SoonerSinger3
5/21/2008, 12:05 AM
i respect the level of play the spurs and pistons have had this decade, but i'm so tired of both of them. i would poll it, but i'm a retard and I don't know how to do that. i'm technologically challenged to say the least. oh and that is the ugliest sign/logo/emblem i have ever seen. the initials of each word spells out BSU for bull **** university perhaps? lol only kidding ;)

r5TPsooner
5/21/2008, 08:27 AM
Old school would be nice but I absolutely despise Kobe Bryant. So, I'm pulling for a Spurs-Celtics Finals.

NormanPride
5/21/2008, 09:58 AM
Tired of the Spurs and Pistons? Someone doesn't remember the old days when there were no other teams than LA and Boston. :rolleyes:

The Celtics picked up the pieced of a terrible Detroit performance. We'll see how the series goes when Detroit gets their feet back under them and remember how to play with Billups.

soonermix
5/21/2008, 10:29 AM
i would care more if there were more OU alumni in the NBA

soonerfan28
5/21/2008, 12:51 PM
Old school would be nice but I absolutely despise Kobe Bryant. So, I'm pulling for a Spurs-Celtics Finals.

Couldn't hate Kobe more and would love to see the Spurs-Celtics with a full 7 games and a Celts championship.

SoonerSinger3
5/21/2008, 04:36 PM
i'm not a kobe fan, but you can't deny his amazing talent and ability to make incredible plays. and i really think he is an unselfish player now. yeah detroit turned the ball over too much in the 3rd quarter which allowed the celtics to pull away somewhat. i still want the lakers-celtics old school matchup. kobe vs. pierce. i like that

badger
5/21/2008, 07:39 PM
The NBA wants Lakers vs. anyone at this point.

Lakers vs. Pistons was the first NBA finals that I watched... which was mid 80s sometime. I still remember my mom admonishing the Pistons and their bad sportsmanship, hehe.

Lakers vs. Celtics was 21 years ago, I heard, where Bird lost to Magic et al.

Poor Spurs always get left out of traditional discussions. Must be the curse of the ABA's red, white and blue ball :D

soonerfan28
5/21/2008, 08:35 PM
i'm not a kobe fan, but you can't deny his amazing talent and ability to make incredible plays. and i really think he is an unselfish player now. yeah detroit turned the ball over too much in the 3rd quarter which allowed the celtics to pull away somewhat. i still want the lakers-celtics old school matchup. kobe vs. pierce. i like that

I agree that he has exceptional talent and he is maybe a little more unselfish now then he was, but I think he is a SOB. Just my opinion.

SoonerSinger3
5/21/2008, 10:02 PM
I agree that he has exceptional talent and he is maybe a little more unselfish now then he was, but I think he is a SOB. Just my opinion.

oh yeah of course. anyone who cheats on their spouse lacks character. Lakers are on a 14-0 run right now and only down 65-59 late in the 3rd quarter. cmon lakers i really can't stand the spurs.

colleyvillesooner
5/21/2008, 10:03 PM
Spurs in 6, as much as I hate it.

SoonerSinger3
5/21/2008, 10:14 PM
haha nice quote. Lakers better pull this s**t out

SoonerSinger3
5/21/2008, 10:51 PM
1 game closer to that Lakers-Celtics matchup!

tommieharris91
5/21/2008, 11:35 PM
I kinda like anything with the Celtics in it. I went to a Celtics @ Spurs game this season. It was fun watching Sam Cassell hit a big shot and beat the Spurs at their house.

Eielson
5/22/2008, 12:10 AM
That was ridiculous to see the Lakers come back from 20 down. It's kinda hard to tell what will happen in the series.

NormanPride
5/22/2008, 11:12 AM
Man, that was painful to watch. You could tell that our guards just couldn't keep the energy up after we got up 20. And once the Lakers started coming back, even Tim ran out of gas. We'll see how the series goes, but I liked what I saw when our team had energy.

sooner518
5/22/2008, 11:58 AM
oh yeah of course. anyone who cheats on their spouse lacks character.

agreed, yet sadly, I have a feeling that the majority of NBA players cheat on their spouses.

I too am praying for Celts/Lakers. Anything to see the Spurs not win

soonerfan28
5/22/2008, 12:14 PM
oh yeah of course. anyone who cheats on their spouse lacks character. Lakers are on a 14-0 run right now and only down 65-59 late in the 3rd quarter. cmon lakers i really can't stand the spurs.

I don't recall saying anything about him cheating on his spouse. I think it goes well beyond that. I believe that most superstars cheat on there spouses. Let's not sit here and pretend he is the reason they won 3 in a row and no I don't think Shaq is either.

badger
5/22/2008, 01:07 PM
There was a huge cover story on the NBA and baby mama drama in SI a few years back.
Linky (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/1998/weekly/980504/insidelook.html)
Another look here (http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/charen050898.html)

Someone mentioned Kobe cheating on his spouse. After it happened, he allegedly said that he should have done what Shaq does - pay the woman to shut up.

soonerfan28
5/22/2008, 02:09 PM
There was a huge cover story on the NBA and baby mama drama in SI a few years back.
Linky (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/1998/weekly/980504/insidelook.html)
Another look here (http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/charen050898.html)

Someone mentioned Kobe cheating on his spouse. After it happened, he allegedly said that he should have done what Shaq does - pay the woman to shut up.

I know this is the basketball forum, but doesn't Darrem MacFadden have like 6 kids?

ousoonerfan
5/22/2008, 02:35 PM
I don't recall saying anything about him cheating on his spouse. I think it goes well beyond that. I believe that most superstars cheat on there spouses. Let's not sit here and pretend he is the reason they won 3 in a row and no I don't think Shaq is either.

Robert Horry?

soonerfan28
5/22/2008, 02:40 PM
Robert Horry?

Actually, Phil Jackson. They had the talent when Phil got there but couldn't do crap without Phil.

badger
5/22/2008, 03:12 PM
I know this is the basketball forum, but doesn't Darrem MacFadden have like 6 kids?

Most women can't make a decent living playing professional sports, but there's a good number of men that do.

DMc will be paying off those baby mamas for 18 years... the courts are very woman-friendly in England, but even the courts here will

1- Make the daddys pay child support, not just food and clothes money, mind you.

2- Make the daddy pay enough for the child (and therefore the baby mama) to have the same lifestyle as daddy.

3- The child support will be adjusted based on income, meaning if income increases, child support does, too.

But... it's an even bigger problem in basketball than football, so it's been reported.

Kobe, who btw, only had sex, not a kid, with that woman whom accused him of rape and all, is not the only reason for the Laker successes recently.

Other reasons include:

1- No Jordan in Chicago. Other beneficiaries of this include Houston, San Antonio and Detroit... oh, and I guess Miami, too.

2- Shaq, who won all three Final MVP awards with the Lakers and their three titles.

3- Phil Jackson, who coached all three Laker teams to their three titles.

4- Robert Horry, who, btw, was not always Bad Boy Rob (or whatever they call him now), who hit several game winners with the Lakers, including over his current team, the Spurs.

5- Weak East teams, which made the true contests for the title become the Western Conference Finals. Poor, poor Sacramento. The Kings just never could get past the evil nemesis Lakers.

6- Idiots of other teams, who allowed players like Shaq (Orlando), Kobe (Charlotte, who was then the Hornets), Horry (Houston) and a coach like Phil (Chicago) to get away from them. We have once again seen the effects of other-team idiocy in favor of the Lakers, with Memphis giving up Pau Gasol.

So, no need to get on the Kobe bandwagon... yet. Just because he got the MVP (which probably should have gone to CP3) and his jersey sales are up (because he switched to #24) does NOT mean he is the greatest player ever and guarantees the Lakers another title.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/22/2008, 03:53 PM

I thought cheating on your wife was a requirement in the NBA? Guess not... :rolleyes:

NormanPride
5/22/2008, 04:02 PM
Lovin' all the Spurs hate here. It's good to be the king, baby.

r5TPsooner
5/22/2008, 09:42 PM
Detroit might win one in the garden.

olevetonahill
5/23/2008, 02:22 AM
:D

NormanPride
5/23/2008, 09:29 AM
Detroit should take that series. They have more playoff experience, and Ray Allen has been atrocious throughout the playoffs.

badger
5/23/2008, 10:08 AM
Why the Spurs are hated. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/20/AR2008052001913.html)

colleyvillesooner
5/23/2008, 11:06 AM
Heh

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kj6h8TF58U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kj6h8TF58U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2008, 11:18 AM
Detroit should take that series. They have more playoff experience, and Ray Allen has been atrocious throughout the playoffs.

And they can win on the road

badger
5/23/2008, 11:41 AM
I can top that:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0PsB8HuRLiA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0PsB8HuRLiA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

SoonerSinger3
5/24/2008, 02:02 AM
Lakers dominated Spurs by 30 tonight. I'm fairly confident the Lakers will win the series although I still can't count the spurs out. not just yet anyways. Detroit-Boston series is gonna be a good one. hope the celtics can pull it out. just think...if boston were to win this series in seven games and beat either the lakers or spurs in seven games, they would be NBA champions with a 16-12 playoff record. I'm curious, has any NBA team ever won a championship with that playoff record?

badger
5/24/2008, 12:32 PM
Hey, a 2-0 start! Just like the Hornets! Homefield advantage? Check. MVP calibur all-star? Check. A storyline that has the NBA drooling? Check.

Spurs: Check... and mate.

It's inevitable. :D

NormanPride
5/27/2008, 09:33 AM
The series has been interesting. I heard someone make a good point: 2 out of 3 games, the Spurs have been up by 20 at one point. If the Spurs had one more day of rest before the series started, how different would it be now? ;)

I still think the Lakers take it, but as a Spurs fan you have to be at least intrigued by the way things have been playing out.

GrapevineSooner
5/27/2008, 09:45 AM
Here's why :D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/220/519930567_1e4e5bf79d.jpg

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6788/timduncanfrenteaossunsfx5.jpg

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/05-06/0514timduncan.jpg

Statalyzer
5/27/2008, 12:14 PM
Pau Gasol has actually been whining about calls more than Duncan has. Maybe instead of the refs, Gasol should concentrate on how to not get outrebounded by Tim 21-5.

GrapevineSooner
5/27/2008, 01:27 PM
But does he have a 'face' named after him? ;)

You know, like Tim Duncan Face?

NormanPride
5/27/2008, 03:17 PM
You're just mad because your whiny European never got a credit card ad. :D

sLADax2Js2A

GrapevineSooner
5/27/2008, 05:10 PM
Uhh yes he did. ;)

If Youtube wasn't blocked at work, I'd search for that particular ad.

Remember that ad where Nelly tries to learn German and starts barking out orders to Dirk in German, Dirk responds back with a phrase that Nelly's not familiar with, so he's fumbling through his translation guide trying to figure out what he says?

Good times.

I remember the end where Nelly tells Nash to 'hustle up out there, ya hoser!'

NormanPride
5/28/2008, 09:35 AM
:D I forgot about that one. Good ad.

Spurs look tired, and the Lakers are too good a team to feel old against.

badger
5/28/2008, 10:12 AM
Confession:

NP was giggling at his Japanese cartoons at the computer last night. I ninja-like muted the television to peek at the score. Finding that the Lakers were ahead and there were eight minutes left, I knew better than to leave the game on. The television was quickly reverted to The Colbert Report.

So, since neither NP nor I can answer this question, here is it for you sports fanatics: Why do we get so worked up over games, especially at the end? Why do we feel miserable after disappointing losses and why can't we sleep after exciting wins? Is it better to distract ourselves with C-list wrestling shows and political joke shows?

I am a lifelong Packer fan and I would be extremely elated after wins and sad after loses and all, but I never really got into games and their outcomes like a certain Spurs fan ;)

GrapevineSooner
5/28/2008, 11:01 AM
Because it's the playoffs. ;)

Which means when your team has already reached this point, you've already invested too much emotionally to turn back now.

NormanPride
5/28/2008, 11:14 AM
Yeah, don't think you got away with it, hon. :)

Who knows, maybe it's a guy thing. I never really got into it that much, but recently I've been unable to function and I have no idea why.

colleyvillesooner
5/28/2008, 11:15 AM
Uhh yes he did. ;)

If Youtube wasn't blocked at work, I'd search for that particular ad.

Remember that ad where Nelly tries to learn German and starts barking out orders to Dirk in German, Dirk responds back with a phrase that Nelly's not familiar with, so he's fumbling through his translation guide trying to figure out what he says?

Good times.

I remember the end where Nelly tells Nash to 'hustle up out there, ya hoser!'

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/asJQOnXgpi0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/asJQOnXgpi0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

badger
5/28/2008, 11:54 AM
Yeah, don't think you got away with it, hon. :)

Who knows, maybe it's a guy thing. I never really got into it that much, but recently I've been unable to function and I have no idea why.

I tried at least. I thought you were pretty LOL'd at the computer, so I thought I could get away with it, and I knew I wouldn't be able to ask to use the compy to check the score :rolleyes:

Ok, back to bed...

ousoonerfan
6/4/2008, 02:42 PM
Anyone watch ESPN last night? They showed one of the Finals games in 1987. Bird's shorts were just that, SHORT!!!

:eek:

Bone
6/5/2008, 11:35 AM
I think the Celtics can pull it out this year.

Bone
6/5/2008, 11:36 AM
Anyone watch ESPN last night? They showed one of the Finals games in 1987. Bird's shorts were just that, SHORT!!!

:eek:

ICK

OklahomaRed
6/9/2008, 04:10 PM
Go Celtics! That is all. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
6/9/2008, 04:12 PM
Lakers in 6

ousoonerfan
6/9/2008, 04:22 PM
Celtics in 7. Home teams win.

JLEW1818