PDA

View Full Version : Friendly car suggestions, plz...

goingoneight
5/20/2008, 09:58 PM
So I got this yob back in '05, aiight? I used my pick'emup truck like crazee for the first couple of months parts chasing, hot-shot deliveries, you-name-it. Well about September I started to get the hang of things and minimized my vehicle commercial usage by quite a bit. then came February 2006, some whorn fan hits me in an ice-storm and I am forced to part ways with my RT Dakota.
The RT had a 360, so I was far from arguing with getting something that didn't have a hole drilled in the gas tank. I was concerned at this point in time that I would need something a little bit more spacious than a "super-cab," but preferably better fuel mileage. Enter 2006 Nissan Frontier. I love this little thing because it's all the comfort of a sedan, with the little cargo bed and 4X4. It makes an estimated 17mpg, sometimes better (as good as 21 last year heading to the RRS) when I'm on the highway.
Well, I worried a bit too much as it seems as nowadays Boone and friends don't know what they want oil to cost. I haven't used my new pick'emup but two or three times for work since I drove her off the showroom floor in March 2006. Once I took a pallet of paintballs to Siloam Springs, and I helped a couple of friends move out of Stoolwater last spring.
What I'm trying to say I guess is that I'm considering parting ways with my Frontier and looking for greener pastures in the MPG department. My uncle just bought a Chrysler car with a huge trunk and a nice-sized interior 4-door sedan. I'm thinking something like that would rock... if it weren't a Chrysler car. I don't mind Mopar trucks, but I despise their powertrain designs in cars. Small example... how do you change a battery in my uncle's car? Take off the tire, remove the front-right inner fender guard and cuss it for about an hour.

Anything you SO peeps drive or have seen that is spacious and awesome on fuel mileage that won't cost me a fortune or jack up my insurance? Granted, insuring a 24-year old guy on a new vehicle is 200 minimum for full-coverage these days, just wondering, though.

MUCH thanks in advance if you read my novel and give me a suggestion. :)

GottaHavePride
5/20/2008, 10:02 PM
Nissan Altima. I like the 2-door better than the 4-door, but Nissan wants way too damn much for me. I'll probably wind up with a MAzda 3 or a Jetta.

And 200 minimum? State Farm was quoting me $100 for comprehensive on a new car.

Oh wait. 24. I'm 28.

olevetonahill
5/20/2008, 10:03 PM
Any of the newer ones are complicated

soonerbrat
5/20/2008, 10:06 PM
I recommend a Mazda 3 or 6

PrideTrombone
5/20/2008, 10:30 PM
Nissan Altima. I get 26/31 in my 3.5L V6 version.

goingoneight
5/20/2008, 11:18 PM
Any of the newer ones are complicated

Yeah, I'm ASE certified, though... so it's not too hard for me. There's a big difference between normal on-board computers and stuff that's just a flat-out poor design with no real reason for being that way according to the people at the Chrysler plant.

I'm looking into Nissan and Toyota online right nao, but my bro's gf has a pretty kewl Honda that's a few years old and it makes like 38 on the road I think she said. I can't seem to navigate away from the cars with stuff I don't need or want, though. I don't need GPS, I don't need a sunroof, I don't need a DVD player or leather seats... that kinda thing.

olevetonahill
5/20/2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I'm ASE certified, though... so it's not too hard for me. There's a big difference between normal on-board computers and stuff that's just a flat-out poor design with no real reason for being that way according to the people at the Chrysler plant.

I'm looking into Nissan and Toyota online right nao, but my bro's gf has a pretty kewl Honda that's a few years old and it makes like 38 on the road I think she said. I can't seem to navigate away from the cars with stuff I don't need or want, though. I don't need GPS, I don't need a sunroof, I don't need a DVD player or leather seats... that kinda thing.

Cant ya Order one ?
What are you lookin fer . Pure Milage, Space ?

yermom
5/21/2008, 02:30 AM
are you looking for new or used?

SteelPanz's 03 or 04 Camry was pretty flippin' sweet for what you are talking about, tons of room and 30+ MPG

if i was shopping for economy i think i'd be getting a Corolla or Camry that's a couple of years old

i know i'm old but i've never paid $200 a month for insurance. my STi when that's all i had was ~$75 a month from Country. i guess i didn't buy my WRX until a day or two after my 25th birthday though

unless you have lots of teh tickets, i'd still be shopping around

my buddy did have issues in his 2dr vs my 4dr from the same company, he had financed almost 1/2 of what i did, with about 1/2 the hp, but since his Civic Si was a coupe they wanted more in premiums over my STi sedan

OU4LIFE
5/21/2008, 07:22 AM
My wife has a new Ford Fusion, I can drive it so I'd consider that roomy. And she averages about 27 MPG.

soonerinabilene
5/21/2008, 08:34 AM
Go back to a new dakota thats not a rt. Get a v6, and take advantadge of the locked in $2.99 a gallon they are offering right now.

r5TPsooner
5/21/2008, 08:50 AM
Toyota Prius. I had one when someone rear ended my truck and the thing is very roomy. I was able to get three car seats in the back with little problem and I got 40+ MPG. It was a fun little car to drive if you're into gas mileage. Had a nice burst of power also.

You can't go wrong with Toyota IMHO and past experiences unless you're buying a Tundra.