PDA

View Full Version : Car Stereo people

OUDoc
5/20/2008, 09:54 AM
My son keeps mentioning needing "2 10's" (2 ten inch subwoofers) for a car stereo. He's partly kidding, but apparently "all" (not literally "all") his friends have it. I used to know a little about stereos. I know subs don't need to be in pairs since bass is omni-directional. Is this just the newest thing? Is it better to have 2 smaller subs than one bigger sub (although bigger subs produce deeper bass)?
If I have anything to do with it, he won't get subs like that, but I wouldn't have a problem with him getting an appropriate sounding stereo when he gets a car. I won't let him be that idiot at the stop light who's car sounds like it's about to rattle free every part ever bolted on it. That's not a good-sounding system, just a noise-maker.

StoopTroup
5/20/2008, 09:59 AM
WTG Doc!

I had to endure one the other day in Broken Arrow.

The kid was sitting in the back of the SUV outside Hobby Lobby with the engine running while he waited on whoever the driver was.

The darn thing was hitting so hard I thought the back window might come flying off and hit one of my kids.

I told my Daughter and my Son that if they ever brought a car like that around me...I'd take wirecutters or a sawsall to the wiring link of the vehicle.

Boomer.....
5/20/2008, 10:05 AM
You do not need 2 subs to sound good. All you need is a decent sub and good amp for great sound, especially since you don't want him to be "one of those people".

yermom
5/20/2008, 10:05 AM
2 10" subs isn't that crazy

it also really depends on the subs and the amp though

i'm not really an expert or anything, i couldn't really give you too many specifics. just don't let him get crap that just rattles everything, THAT is what's inappropriate ;)

i have one 12" Kenwood, and i think i went too cheap on it

kbsooner21
5/20/2008, 10:07 AM
Come on, he's a kid. Let him do what he wants :D

StoopTroup
5/20/2008, 10:08 AM
2 10" subs isn't that crazy

it also really depends on the subs and the amp though

i'm not really an expert or anything, i couldn't really give you too many specifics. just don't let him get crap that just rattles everything, THAT is what's inappropriate ;)

i have one 12" Kenwood, and i think i went too cheap on it

Good point Yermom.

A good system is great.

Those rattle jobs...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

soonerboomer93
5/20/2008, 10:09 AM
my "nephew" just put 2 15's in the back of his car
his trunk has only that.

no sure why his father let him do that, I wouldn't have

edit: apparently they had to remove all the trunk lining and use the quick hardening insulation foam on all metal to metal surfaces, to prevent the trunk from rattling apart.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2008, 10:21 AM
I used to be involved in competitions as a young lad and had as many as 4 15 s in a ford ranger to a 1 12" with in it that would set off car alarms....What kind of car/truck/suv is he wanting to put them in?

I had 2 10's in my first truck and it had a pretty decent sound..truck didnt rattle too much

OUDoc
5/20/2008, 10:29 AM
....What kind of car/truck/suv is he wanting to put them in?

I had 2 10's in my first truck and it had a pretty decent sound..truck didnt rattle too much

He's probably going to get a small car, not a larger car or SUV. He won't have much room.
Is it an advantage to have 2 smaller subs over one bigger one?

kbsooner21
5/20/2008, 10:32 AM

Same here. You can get it nice and loud, but it doesn't vibrate the car next to you at the stoplight.

kbsooner21
5/20/2008, 10:33 AM
He's probably going to get a small car, not a larger car or SUV. He won't have much room.
Is it an advantage to have 2 smaller subs over one bigger one?

Just depends on how much space and where he wants to put them. I had a single cab truck and wanted to originally have 1 big box, but the biggest I could fit behind them was a 10', so I got 2 :D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2008, 10:34 AM
One thing that is important is the size/type of box that the speaker(s) are going in....IMO in a small car, one subwoofer(12") would be better....

OUDoc
5/20/2008, 10:38 AM
I used to have an amplified Bazooka in my old Blazer. Any love for those anymore? (All-in-one powered subs, not the Blazer. :))

OU4LIFE
5/20/2008, 10:41 AM
One thing that is important is the size/type of box that the speaker(s) are going in....IMO in a small car, one subwoofer(12") would be better....

agree with this.

HOWEVER, if it's just simply sound quality, and not BOOMTOWN, then you can space save with smaller enclosures and 2 10's, of course every speaker is different and has different space requirements.

I was that guy years ago that rattled your car apart, not to mention my own. I've grown, have different wants and needs, and prefer smoother, more accurate sound as opposed to smashing bass.

If I were doing a small car, I'd just opt for for actuators over subs, they give the illusion of bass for about 1/20th the space. Items like Bass shakers. You could put one under each seat and it'd sound pretty swell.

Frozen Sooner
5/20/2008, 10:43 AM
For a sonically correct stereo in a space as small as a car, the largest speaker he needs is a quality 8" subwoofer. Trust me on this. I haven't been playing around with car audio in over a decade, but the last nice car stereo I put in my own car took third in a couple of competitions with no speaker larger than that, and I assume that the state of the art has advanced since then.

Boomer.....
5/20/2008, 10:52 AM
To stop the rattles Dynamat (http://www.dynamat.com/) or a cheaper knockoff works wonders.

soonerinabilene
5/20/2008, 11:54 AM
Two JL Audio 8's and a decent amp will be perfect. Inside the car will sound really good, outside the car will not be rattling.

StoopTroup
5/20/2008, 12:02 PM
With rizing gas prices you may want to consider all your options IMO.

http://media.audiojunkies.com/bicycle-stereo-6.jpg

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2008, 12:14 PM
once you get the speakers lined up, hook him up this and you'll be his favorite forever

http://members.cox.net/quadraphonic/8-track-Car-Decks/RCA%2012R800%208%20Track%20Car%20Audio%20Tape%20Pl ayer%201.jpg

OUDoc
5/20/2008, 12:40 PM
once you get the speakers lined up, hook him up this and you'll be his favorite forever

http://members.cox.net/quadraphonic/8-track-Car-Decks/RCA%2012R800%208%20Track%20Car%20Audio%20Tape%20Pl ayer%201.jpg

I'll tell him I bought him "2 8's" instead and show up with a pair of those beauties.

BTW, I still have Back in Black on 8-track somewhere. He'll be kickin' ***.

SoonerJack
5/20/2008, 12:56 PM
that is awesome. I wish I knew where my 8-tracks went. :-(

OU4LIFE
5/20/2008, 01:03 PM

have you checked the trash?

TheBobbyTrain
5/20/2008, 01:56 PM
Just remember that higher diameter (12's and higher)= higher capacity for volume and lower bass. Smaller diameter (8's and 10's)= much better response. If he wants subs that respond well and sound crisp, go smaller. If he wants to blow his doors off and eardrums out, go higher.

OUDoc
5/20/2008, 02:45 PM
If he wants to blow his doors off and eardrums out, go higher.

Probably what he wants. :)

bluedogok
5/20/2008, 08:40 PM
Mine are in a box in the computer room closet.....

The smaller subs are easier for cars to accommodate, a larger sub just eats up more space. You can do two smaller ones in an isobaric chamber to save space.

Here is a Subwoofer Project (http://www.yourmissus.com/subwoofer/) that shows an isobaric configuration.