PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Watch w Amanda Taylor

Hot Rod
5/20/2008, 07:41 AM
For those of you who missed this story last night, it was quite a good one.

Betty Wheeler trusted a familiar face when she purchased new siding and gutters for her Enid home.

The 78-year-old hired a man who advertises as a Christian. Last November she paid David Terrell, of Terrell's Siding and Windows, about $15,000 for siding, gutters and a warranty.

And as far as she was concerned they did a great job, but her son disagrees.

"They felt she's blind, she's not going to know what's going on," Larry Wheeler said.

The siding has already started to fall off. Other pieces are cracked. Gaps were left unsealed around the windows.

The guttering that was put up had to be replaced at Wheeler's expense. Workers put up stark white guttering that didn't match the house.

"She's 78 years old," her son said. "She doesn't really have it to waste and not get a decent job."

Larry Wheeler said he called Terrell to come out and fix it since his mother purchased a warranty.

"His basic reaction was sue me," Larry Wheeler said. "Then he hung up the phone."

Others customers have sued Terrell. Suzanne Parish also of Enid sued and won, but Terrell hasn't paid her.

Last month, a Norman resident sued Terrell for about $1,500. She won, but hasn't seen any money either.

The district attorney's office said the customers will have to file paperwork with their judge asking to have a hearing on Terrell's assets.

NEWS 9's Consumer Watch team tried to contact Terrell at his business, but it was vacant. The landlord said he moved out about two weeks ago without paying rent.

So Consumer Watch Reporter Amanda Taylor went to confront Terrell at his home. Click on the featured video to watch the confrontation.

Here's the link to the video if you are interested, along with the video for the "encounter".
http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=8347623&nav=menu681_2_4

StoopTroup
5/20/2008, 07:51 AM
Sad to see that happens.

I've had it happen to me.

It wasn't for $15,000 though.

I caught on quick as I gave the guy some dough and he was back two days later needing a draw. I took him to the siding place bought what he said he needed to do the job and had his Big Brother come over and basically threaten him until he got most of it done.

Some of it is falling down now.

I need to go back and try to find replacement panels and redo some of the work.

On a good note...My Father needed a shower repaired which is more in-line with this guys ability. He could easily make 800 this week fixing that shower but his Brother told him unless he comes back over to my house...he's not getting the tile job.

Now he needs the money as he's got such a bad reputation that he has to travel quite a distance to get jobs.

I hope Terrell someday gets his life together and finishes up like Earl did at least.

Sad stuff.

soonerhubs
5/20/2008, 07:54 AM
Wow! That guy is a piece of trash (Sorry trash.).

SoonerStormchaser
5/20/2008, 08:08 AM
And that, ladies and gentlemen is why we have the Better Business Bureau, craigslist, etc.

r5TPsooner
5/20/2008, 09:32 AM
Wow! That guy is a piece of trash (Sorry trash.).

My thoughts exactly. Anyone who preys on children or the elderly are the lowest form of scum in my book.

Hot Rod
5/20/2008, 09:40 AM
For those of you who haven't watched the video to this story, you need to see it, especially when Amanda confronts him at his home.

Here's a link to that video:
http://www.news9.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=2504450&at1=News

StoopTroup
5/20/2008, 09:44 AM
WOW!

He's a real ******...

r5TPsooner
5/20/2008, 09:50 AM
Those hair plugs aren't really workin for him either.

JohnnyMack
5/20/2008, 09:51 AM
She should have never walked into his garage like that. I agree that he's a piece of ****, but she should have used more common sense than that.

StoopTroup
5/20/2008, 09:53 AM
I wonder what would have happened to her if she had gone into Olevets Garage like that? ;)

OU4LIFE
5/20/2008, 09:54 AM
that guy need a beating, srsly.

Ii wish I'd have been that camera man, that poor garage door would have taken a nice old fashioned drive through, IMO, that was akin to kidnapping.

what a doosh.

r5TPsooner
5/20/2008, 09:55 AM
that guy need a beating, srsly.

Ii wish I'd have been that camera man, that poor garage door would have taken a nice old fashioned drive through,

what a doosh.

I was thinking the same thing. A 2-iron would have got the damned thing opened I bet.

JohnnyMack
5/20/2008, 09:56 AM
I was thinking the same thing. A 2-iron would have got the damned thing opened I bet.

Oh God. There you go. Now we get to hear the HIO story again.

LoyalFan
5/20/2008, 10:01 AM
I wonder what would have happened to her if she had gone into Olevets Garage like that? ;)

(Shudder!)

Hey...wait...what if he called me and offered to share?
Hmmmm...(Shudder!)

LoyalFan
5/20/2008, 10:05 AM
Miss Taylor could not have been blamed for applying a knee to his knertz when he menaced her like dat. The photog should have charged the garage door as is descended and blocked it since most such (modern) doors have an interrupter that will stop the descent if an object impedes same.

OU4LIFE
5/20/2008, 10:44 AM
Oh God. There you go. Now we get to hear the HIO story again.

Did someone say HIO?

It was a beautiful, sunny summer afternoon.....