PDA

View Full Version : Serious question for all the vets and military on the board

Ash
5/20/2008, 01:31 AM
I flew out to see the family a couple days ago. Needed to help out moms.

The thing is, my uncle is suffering from PTSD. He's been in the **** from Haiti to Afghanistan and Iraq.

I've been talking a lot with him while I'm here. This is a guy that was like an older brother to me.

I was just wondering if anybody has dealt with this in any way shape or form and if they found something that has helped.

olevetonahill
5/20/2008, 01:37 AM
Peem sent

olevetonahill
5/20/2008, 02:00 AM
Oh and Tell Him Olevet says WELCOME HOME BRO.
I came Home in 70 . Got My 1st one In 92 ,:D

Rogue
5/20/2008, 05:37 AM
VA and the Vet Centers do some of the best PTSD work around, especially for us combat vets. There really is no "cure" but some of the psychotherapy can really help and some guys benefit from meds since depression and sleep disorders are so common with PTSD.

Afghanistan since Operation Enduring Freedom (2002 or later)?
If not, probably the Vet Center. If so, read on...

Where's he live? The nearest VA medical center has someone there called the "OEF/OIF" program manager and probably supervises a couple of case managers. Their whole mission in life is to make sure he knows about what is available and making sure he has access.

I can get the name and number of the person if you want to just tell me the nearest VA or where he lives. I don't need any personal information about him.

One of the best books on this is called "Recovering From The War" by Patience Mason. Good for the vets and families to read that one.

StoopTroup
5/20/2008, 07:04 AM
Not Military but I care....

http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/ncmain/index.jsp (http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/ncmain/index.jsp)

My heart and prayers go out to your Uncle.

Ash
5/20/2008, 08:04 AM
VA and the Vet Centers do some of the best PTSD work around, especially for us combat vets. There really is no "cure" but some of the psychotherapy can really help and some guys benefit from meds since depression and sleep disorders are so common with PTSD.

Afghanistan since Operation Enduring Freedom (2002 or later)?
If not, probably the Vet Center. If so, read on...

Where's he live? The nearest VA medical center has someone there called the "OEF/OIF" program manager and probably supervises a couple of case managers. Their whole mission in life is to make sure he knows about what is available and making sure he has access.

I can get the name and number of the person if you want to just tell me the nearest VA or where he lives. I don't need any personal information about him.

One of the best books on this is called "Recovering From The War" by Patience Mason. Good for the vets and families to read that one.

Thank you. He's been to the VA and he's got meds. He has to continue his treatment at Fort Bragg. One of the things I'm worried about is him following through with treatment.

It's still tough for him. I just want to be there for him and do what I can. I'm going to check out Mason's book.

Curly Bill
5/20/2008, 09:05 AM
In my Navy years I saw no combat, though I was in boot camp at the end of Desert Storm, and so got the medal. In total seriousness though I wish your uncle all the best, and prayers sent.