PDA

View Full Version : Child Labor Laws

SicEmBaylor
5/19/2008, 09:00 PM
...ought to be repealed. Their tiny hands and fingers make it easier to clean difficult to reach places in dirty and dangerous machines.

Discuss.

royalfan5
5/19/2008, 09:06 PM
Only if people who take longer than 6 years to complete undergraduate studies have to do a period of indentured servitude.

SicEmBaylor
5/19/2008, 09:06 PM
Only if people who take longer than 6 years to complete undergraduate studies have to do a period of indentured servitude.

College is a form of indentured servitude. It's a lot of work for which I do not get paid.

soonerscuba
5/19/2008, 09:07 PM
Tiny hands=Tiny prices.

MR2-Sooner86
5/19/2008, 09:08 PM
I agree! Who else are we going to get to work in the coal mines?

royalfan5
5/19/2008, 09:16 PM
College is a form of indentured servitude. It's a lot of work for which I do not get paid.
It can't be that much work if you are still there.

goingoneight
5/19/2008, 09:20 PM
Cheap labor. I can't tell you what my little cousin won't do for a dollar. His sister told him to do the dishes (a whole nasty sinkful), vacuum her room, "help" wash her car (by help I mean wash the car while she text messages for half an hour) and she gave him like five bucks. He was happier than a pig eatin' ****! I didn't have it in me to tell him he should go hang out behind home depot.

SicEmBaylor
5/19/2008, 09:32 PM
Cheap labor. I can't tell you what my little cousin won't do for a dollar. His sister told him to do the dishes (a whole nasty sinkful), vacuum her room, "help" wash her car (by help I mean wash the car while she text messages for half an hour) and she gave him like five bucks. He was happier than a pig eatin' ****! I didn't have it in me to tell him he should go hang out behind home depot.

What you just described is women's work which he should not have been doing in the first place.

proud gonzo
5/19/2008, 10:00 PM
what, are your freakish pterodactyl joints getting in the way of your tiny hands being able to clean things?

King Crimson
5/19/2008, 10:07 PM
i used to work in a place with a wood burning pizza oven and the owner would have his youngest son crawl into the oven and clean it about every 6 months. he was small enough to get through the semi-circular opening.

it had that "child labor" thing feel to it.

SicEmBaylor
5/19/2008, 10:09 PM
i used to work in a place with a wood burning pizza oven and the owner would have his youngest son crawl into the oven and clean it about every 6 months. he was small enough to get through the semi-circular opening.

That's glorious.

goingoneight
5/19/2008, 10:32 PM
That's about the only reason I might want kids someday... so I can get **** done around the house. :D

Cam
5/22/2008, 08:45 PM
That's about the only reason I might want kids someday... so I can get **** done around the house. :D

Adopt'em about 9 or 10 years old. Before that, they make more messes than they clean.

NYC Poke
5/22/2008, 08:55 PM

The Italian restaurant downstairs from me has a coal burning oven, but they didn't have any kids to clean the chimney. I came home Friday night and learned the an apartment down the hall from me had burned up because of the chimney from the pizza oven. Now, somewhere on the streets of NYC, there's another homeless, crazy drunken Russian.

Put 'em to work.

SicEmBaylor
5/22/2008, 09:06 PM
I really hate the ****ing Russians.

MR2-Sooner86
5/22/2008, 09:08 PM
http://hetstence.com/blog/media/childlabor2.jpg

What's that little **** doing just standing there?! Lazy bastard has work to do!

NYC Poke
5/22/2008, 09:23 PM
I really hate the ****ing Russians.

I'm no fan, but I like to see them where I expect them -- passed out on the steps on my way up to my apartment.

sooneron
5/22/2008, 09:47 PM
I'm no fan, but I like to see them where I expect them -- passed out on the steps on my way up to my apartment.

I miss the days of living on 2nd Ave btw St Marks and 7th!:texan:

sooneron
5/22/2008, 09:48 PM
And as girly and frail as Sic'em is, shouldn't he have the skills in demand?

NYC Poke
5/22/2008, 10:05 PM
I miss the days of living on 2nd Ave btw St Marks and 7th!:texan:

I was down that way last week with a couple of friends from Oklahmoma. Had some fries at Pommes Frites and a few beers at McSorley's. LES is downright trendy now.

I'm in Hell's Kitchen, and while I've seen a lot of improvement in the time I've lived here (two years), it can still be a little, um, West Side. But I have a rent stabilized place, so I really can't complain.

r5TPsooner
5/22/2008, 10:09 PM
Adopt'em about 9 or 10 years old. Before that, they make more messes than they clean.

ain't that the damned truth.

sooneron
5/22/2008, 10:36 PM
I was down that way last week with a couple of friends from Oklahmoma. Had some fries at Pommes Frites and a few beers at McSorley's. LES is downright trendy now.

I'm in Hell's Kitchen, and while I've seen a lot of improvement in the time I've lived here (two years), it can still be a little, um, West Side. But I have a rent stabilized place, so I really can't complain.

Back innaday, Pommes Frites was trendy and fancy. I miss Paul's Palace. I lived on 2nd back in '93. Off of 2nd 95th St) - 95-98. Those were the days. Things were kinda dangerous and kewl. Now, it's yuppie-ville. You must be pretty far west to feel like your area is dangerous as my bud's bar on 10th is feeling downright smack dab in the middle of family ville these days.

Harry Beanbag
5/22/2008, 10:56 PM

Wasn't McSorley's on Three Sheets a few months ago? They have the turkey wishbones hanging up from WWI.

NYC Poke
5/22/2008, 11:02 PM
Back innaday, Pommes Frites was trendy and fancy. I miss Paul's Palace. I lived on 2nd back in '93. Off of 2nd 95th St) - 95-98. Those were the days. Things were kinda dangerous and kewl. Now, it's yuppie-ville. You must be pretty far west to feel like your area is dangerous as my bud's bar on 10th is feeling downright smack dab in the middle of family ville these days.

Know a guy who grew up in Alphabet City. He's told me stories. Things have changed a lot down there since '93, as CBGB's move to Vegas demonstrates.

When I moved to my 'hood, I heard that 5 years ago, you wouldn't want to be caught dead at night here, or you might be caught dead. At first, it wasn't uncommon to come home to find a crack whore sitting in the doorway and there were lots of streetwalkers along 8th and 9th. I still see 'em, but it's rare compared to just 2 years ago.

There are still some old skool Westies around here, and I try to be careful not to **** them off, because they tend to be unpredictable (whiskey and coke will do that). You're viewed with suspicion if you're new someplace. However, once you're in, you're in. A lot of my buds from the neighborhood are union guys, and if you get in with them around here, you're gold.

I'll have to talk with them about the whole child labor thing. I'm a lawyer, and I suspect some of them make near what I do, and work fewer hours doing it. I'll have my kid up here for the summer. Maybe I can put her to work (though not on 8th or 9th Ave.).

NYC Poke
5/22/2008, 11:04 PM
Wasn't McSorley's on Three Sheets a few months ago? They have the turkey wishbones hanging up from WWI.

The light fixtures over the bar have dust bunnies from WWI.