PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to be in bad trouble when Obama is POTUS

Jerk
5/18/2008, 09:34 PM
I can has too many cheezburgers!

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h-wpxs1Re-8vx2Zk5xnYygW1W67w

We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times ... and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK," Obama said.

47straight
5/18/2008, 09:43 PM
It's true that Americans need to consume less, overall. For our own soul's sake even, I think.

Dio
5/18/2008, 10:00 PM
It's true that Americans need to consume less, overall. For our own soul's sake even, I think.

True, but it ain't the nanny state's job to make it happen.

tommieharris91
5/18/2008, 10:03 PM

That's the lender's job.

def_lazer_fc
5/18/2008, 10:08 PM
they also shouldnt be giving people tax credits who choose to buy the biggest suv on the market either

def_lazer_fc
5/18/2008, 10:09 PM
if you want to live in gluttony, you should have to face the brunt of those choices yourself.

r5TPsooner
5/18/2008, 10:28 PM
they also shouldnt be giving people tax credits who choose to buy the biggest suv on the market either

Hey. I resemble that statement.:D

My new Armada suits my family of five just fine btw.

47straight
5/18/2008, 10:57 PM

I agree that meaningful changes comes down to personal conversion.

On the other hand, many things like our tax system are set up to encourage consumption and not saving. The gub'mint can do a lot in just how it does its business it was gonna do anyway.

mdklatt
5/18/2008, 11:00 PM

What about when your "personal choices" effect everybody else?

Okla-homey
5/19/2008, 05:19 AM
Just keep repeating...you know, monotonally, and somewhat zombie-like: TO EACH ACCORDING TO HIS NEEDS, FROM EACH ACCORDING TO HIS MEANS. TO EACH ACCORDING TO HIS NEEDS, FROM EACH ACCORDING TO HIS MEANS.TO EACH ACCORDING TO HIS NEEDS, FROM EACH ACCORDING TO HIS MEANS.TO EACH ACCORDING TO HIS NEEDS, FROM EACH ACCORDING TO HIS MEANS.TO EACH ACCORDING TO HIS NEEDS, FROM EACH ACCORDING TO HIS MEANS.TO EACH ACCORDING TO HIS NEEDS, FROM EACH ACCORDING TO HIS MEANS....

Harry Beanbag
5/19/2008, 07:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DxDPHnC8Ao

5/19/2008, 09:01 AM
....TO EACH ACCORDING TO HIS NEEDS, FROM EACH ACCORDING TO HIS MEANS....

http://charlielovett.com/mainpages/studyguides/marx_thinker.jpg

TUSooner
5/19/2008, 11:48 AM
http://charlielovett.com/mainpages/studyguides/marx_thinker.jpg

I confess: I am a Marxist.

TUSooner
5/19/2008, 11:53 AM
What about when your "personal choices" effect everybody else?

I'm sure you meant "affect" (the verb) ;) so please define it. That's a slippery slopt, the thin edge of the wedge, etc.
Every choice has far-reaching effects (noun), so you have to be ready to set some hard limits or you'll open up the door to all kinds of oppression based on how my acts affect others.

mdklatt
5/19/2008, 12:10 PM
I'm sure you meant "affect" (the verb) ;) so please define it. That's a slippery slopt, the thin edge of the wedge, etc.

Effect is also a verb, and affect is also a noun, but yes I meant affect the verb. ;)

Your toothpaste brand or underwear color is a personal choice. The car you drive is not. It not just "your" gasoline you're using, or "your" air you're polluting, or "your" lives you're endangering in collisions, or "your" pavement you're destroying.

soonerbrat
5/19/2008, 01:02 PM
Every choice has far-reaching effects (noun), so you have to be ready to set some hard limits or you'll open up the door to all kinds of oppression based on how my acts affect others.

a slippery slopt?

mdklatt
5/19/2008, 01:18 PM
a slippery slopt?

That's what happens when you have too much lube. Ask Harry Beanbag.

Flagstaffsooner
5/19/2008, 01:37 PM
The whole Nation will be in bad trouble if that sob is elected.

Harry Beanbag
5/19/2008, 05:15 PM
Your toothpaste brand or underwear color is a personal choice. The car you drive is not. It not just "your" gasoline you're using, or "your" air you're polluting, or "your" lives you're endangering in collisions, or "your" pavement you're destroying.

This is one of the weakest arguments you've ever made.

Harry Beanbag
5/19/2008, 05:16 PM
That's what happens when you have too much lube. Ask Harry Beanbag.

Exactly. You have to be careful with that stuff. :D

Sooner_Havok
5/19/2008, 05:17 PM

I thought it was the fifth coronary bypass that made it happen. :D

kbsooner21
5/19/2008, 05:22 PM
Effect is also a verb, and affect is also a noun, but yes I meant affect the verb. ;)

Weak :O