PDA

View Full Version : Narnia's new Prince Caspian

badger
5/18/2008, 04:19 PM
I did a thread and post search on this and it appears that our last Narnia discussion that hasn't been deleted was back in 2006 when Lion, Witch and Wardrobe was released.

NP and I along with another Sooner alum friend saw it this weekend and I thought they did as good a job with this story as they possibly could. The BBC version of Prince Caspian was minimized into about a half hour to 45 minutes with very little substance. The Disney version adds very much substance and even changes parts of the story.

Of course, changes will be made when you take a 100 page book (what's that, three chapters of Harry Potter nowadays?) and make it two going on three hours long. Here are the noticeable ones:

1- King Miroz is the evil one, not the co-evil one. In the book, Miroz (or is it Miraz?) was prodded by his wife to get rid of the heir's competition to the throne. She was as evil as him, if not moreso.

2- Peter isn't a teen brat/bully. Must have been part of his contract to extend his part a little more into the story, but he really didn't fight with Caspian that much, if at all.

3- Girls fighting. Aslan insisted in the book that girls made battles ugly and that they were not to fight. However, Susan's bow was drawn quite a few times, and not just as Cupid to Caspian, lol.

It might be a little long and too confusing for the kiddos, so definitely an older kid/adult movie. A noticeable difference between Disney and BBC is using a CGI mouse instead of a human-in-costume mouse, which makes Reepicheep really, really cute :)

It will be interesting to see how they cast Eustace in the next one and how long they make us wait (I think it's coming in 2010) for Voyage of the Dawn Treader. There's a lot more story to that one, so it should be a better movie overall, but Prince Caspian was good.

badger
5/19/2008, 09:35 AM
Did nobody else see this? wtf... ;)

Widescreen
5/19/2008, 10:01 AM
Took the kids to the midnight showing Thursday night. We liked it a lot. Very well done. It definitely has a lot more killing than the first one.

Dawn Treader is scheduled for 5/2010.

King Crimson
5/19/2008, 10:08 AM
PC was one of my fave books of the series. i don't remember much about it, since i was WAY too busy hating on hair metal back then.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/19/2008, 10:10 AM
I may go check it out tonight...Anything to get my mind off of watching Aliens vs Predator 2 last night

Melo
5/19/2008, 11:11 AM
I thought it was just okay. I didnt like it as much as I liked the first one, for some reason. It took me awhile to get into the movie, and once I did, I kept waiting on some epic battle scenes.

dolemitesooner
5/19/2008, 12:02 PM
Take this to the children's lit forum.Where is that>?

sooner_born_1960
5/19/2008, 12:16 PM
Saw it. As far as "good vs. evil" stories go, LOTR kicks Narnia's butt.
And Narnia's version of Ents were weak.

badger
5/19/2008, 04:27 PM
Glad to see I wasn't the only one:)

Widescreen
5/19/2008, 05:49 PM
Saw it. As far as "good vs. evil" stories go, LOTR kicks Narnia's butt.
And Narnia's version of Ents were weak.

Somewhat of a different target audience.

TopDawg
5/19/2008, 05:57 PM
I liked it.

Production quality better than the first one, fo sho.

First movie I watched at the Warren. I'm lovin that place. When we first walked in, it reminded me of the Muppets in 3D set at MGM.

frankensooner
6/13/2008, 10:02 AM
Finally broke down watched the first one on Wednesday, then took the kids to see this one last night. I really enjoyed it and I got to use my AMC free night at the movies pass to get my ticket and a coke and popcorn. Sometimes it does pay to wait until it isn't a special engagement. ;)

I liked it, the kids liked it, although they did get a little restless at times, it is long.

SoonerStormchaser
6/13/2008, 11:03 AM
Saw it...liked it...waiting for VOTDT in two years!