PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Animal Shelters

badger
5/18/2008, 01:30 PM
One of the saddest things you'll read today. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080518_11_A1_spancl185565 )

A brief s'napsis: Surrounding burbs of Tulsa are saying that they have no-kill policies of animals they take into their shelters... so, every Monday they bring them to Tulsa to do it. Thus, the burbs don't have the guilt of killing animals themselves and they can tell the public that they are against animal euthanizing.

If you can stomach it, the accompanying video is pretty sad, too.
view sad video here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/default.aspx)

I'm not putting this on here because I want you all to feel bad or anything on your day of rest, but because this is a huge problem. Yes, we need to euthanize dangerous animals that have terrible diseases, are trained to kill people, or are so badly injured that it is the most humane thing to do for them.

However, this is another plea to adopt a pet now. Don't go to a puppy mill to get your expensive trendy purebred dog, but find a local shelter and get a lifelong friend, which might in fact be a trendy purebred dog, because we've seen them at shelters before. NP and I did this about a year before we were married and it would be hard to imagine life now without the little nerdy cat running around the house and beggin to get a little "outdoor time" when we return everyday from work. We will likely look to adopt a dog after returning from our summer vacation, too.

Oh... [bob barker] and have your pet spayed or neutered. [/bob barker]

yermom
5/18/2008, 03:09 PM
but the purebred ones taste better!

SoonerInKCMO
5/18/2008, 03:51 PM
I thought I was going to have to choke a bitch one day at a pet fair at the American Royal after she tried to shame-shame me for volunteering for a shelter that euthanized animals. She couldn't quite grasp the concept that the 'no-kill' shelters sent their animals to the euthanizing shelters when they ran out of room.

Still ****es me off four years later.

soonerbrat
5/18/2008, 05:43 PM
if i could adopt them all I would. I have 2 cats - one was adopted from a rescue and one was given to me by 2 teenage girls trying to give away a litter of kittens at 7-11. That's all I can handle right now or I'd adopt a dog

tulsaoilerfan
5/18/2008, 06:19 PM
If people would get their pets fixed this wouldn't be as big of a problem; i've had 2 dogs since i got married, and both of them got fixed

Okla-homey
5/18/2008, 06:22 PM
I guess I'm about even. Two former dumpster kitties here -- both spayed. Two purebred dogs...but one of them is the daughter of the elder.

olevetonahill
5/18/2008, 07:28 PM
I gots a Dump dog, Knothead (found him at the Dump , Took him to the Vet ans snip)
1 Stray dog, Biznacho , She found me at the Olevet shack , She hasnt made it to the Vet yet , But she will .
A stray cat, Firecracker. She showed up at the shack wounded . shes still a Little young But shes going with Biznacho .
Got Boomer the Bird , He dont get out an socialize .

StoopTroup
5/18/2008, 07:38 PM
I told my Golden that we were gonna have to have him nuetered.

I haven't seen him in a week. :D ;)

http://www.familycirclepromo.com/bbcontest/images/BBsplash_photo.jpg

goingoneight
5/19/2008, 12:09 AM
All the hippies who think euthanizing is wrong... ask them where we'll be one day if we just stop animal control. Ask them if they drive on an expressway at any given time during the week. Do they want to run the poor things over? Guess what... then you have to hire a guy like Joe Segura to do more dirty work cleaning up mutilated animals everywhere and fight the dangers dangerous ones present.

Now, I am a huge animal lover. I find humor in just about anything an animal does and appreciate the fact that all they ever do is love you. I have cats, a dog, I've owned just about every breed of hamster, mouse, rat, etc. in my days. I have also been unfortunate to live in a crappy neighborhood where animals ran wild and either got killed or did the killing. Yes, an neighborhood boy years ago was killed by a stray dog not far from where I lived in Tulsa.

Sooner Schemer
5/20/2008, 12:30 AM
Hopefully the increased media attention will make people think twice before buying from a breeder when there are so many rescued pets waiting for a home.

I'm partial to the Tulsa SPCA as I take most of the photos of our adoptable pets (http://www.heresthepoop.net/gallery/main.php).
But petfinder (http://www.petfinder.com) is a good site to search from rescue groups where you live.

And I hope that some of you will consider helping a local shelter or rescue group. There are a several good organizations in the Tulsa area with a variety of needs. You may find it as rewarding as I have.

The Dog Mumbler (http://flickr.com/photos/dogmumbler/)

StoopTroup
5/20/2008, 07:26 AM
If we nueter and spay them all...

What will happen in the long run?

Will we end up with wild packs of coyote half-breeds running the streets nipping at our children as food?

Seriously...

I understand that animals have become more and more of a problem and I think we can do more to get it under control but the amount of idiots out there that continue to buy, sell, get bored with one or simply abandon one may be the bigger problem. Cure that that then stuff like this might not happen. I don't think it's possible when you have people out there that would put the life of a human in higher regard than any of these animals.

If you have people...your gonna have an animal problem.

Deal with it. Don't make it worse either.

The hardest thing I've ever had to do for an animal was end it's suffering. Sometimes life requires you to "MAN UP" and take vare of things you don't like dealing with. Leaving it to someone else is a sh*tty thing to do IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

Scott D
5/20/2008, 09:20 AM
ST, I think the idea is more along the lines of rather than going to "puppy mills" which at least half the time are pretty reprehensible, get a pet that someone else either abandoned or was unable to take care of. Generally you run less of a risk of there being the prospect of the animal suffering problems due to inbreeding. And in many cases, the animal is likely already spayed/neutered.

I don't think getting animals "fixed" would be as much of a problem if it weren't for the "omg it's not a puppy or kitten anymore, this animal is a drag" group of people that pretty much kick an animal to the curb once it's no longer a little cute puppy/kitten.

I myself, don't plan on owning another dog or cat after my Eskie moves on. However, with the way this dog acts, I'm positive her goal in life is to outlive me just to spite me.

One other thing I like is that there are groups now that are actively attempting to find feral cats/dogs (mostly cats), and spaying/neutering them. There are some animal rights groups that think these animal rights groups are being cruel, but of course they don't think that overpopulation and carrying diseases is cruel. :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
5/20/2008, 09:27 AM
I bought our golden from a guy that wanted to breed their last dog as they were getting old and the eventual death would come around in a few years. They justed wanted one pup from the litter. The rest he sold for $100 each to cover his costs and time.

I would never think this was a puppy mill but some folks would say it is.

That is what kind of sets me off.

Those that do the right thing and find homes for the pups in their litter get eyeballed.

That's all.

Again...I just tire of folks who are doing a good job being eyeballed when they just love Goldens.

Whatever the breed you love...I think you should find it...love and care for it.

When the time comes that your beloved pet needs help...give it.

I'm not fixing my golden as I think I might feel the same way down the road.

olevetonahill
5/20/2008, 09:59 AM
Let the Vet get a sperm sample to keep . then Neuter him . That way theres NO accidents

StoopTroup
5/20/2008, 10:01 AM
I like my dogs to enjoy the experience when they are ready. :P

yermom
5/20/2008, 10:07 AM
just leave the untaken ones at OleVet's shack

DO NOT take them to the Deanarosa!

StoopTroup
5/20/2008, 10:13 AM

ROTFLMAO!

Unless you enjoy carnage that is...lol

soonerboomer93
5/20/2008, 10:21 AM
both my cats are fixed, got the from a friend
about 6 months apart, momma wasn't fixed

don't know if they ever did fix her

oh, my vet charged about $35.00 a pop to fix them too

olevetonahill
5/20/2008, 10:30 AM

Id do My best to find em a Home
AFTER I had em Fixed :D

yermom
5/20/2008, 10:36 AM
although, i hear the overflow from OleVet just goes to the Deanarosa anyway :(

Scott D
5/20/2008, 10:37 AM
I bought our golden from a guy that wanted to breed their last dog as they were getting old and the eventual death would come around in a few years. They justed wanted one pup from the litter. The rest he sold for $100 each to cover his costs and time.

I would never think this was a puppy mill but some folks would say it is.

That is what kind of sets me off.

Those that do the right thing and find homes for the pups in their litter get eyeballed.

That's all.

Again...I just tire of folks who are doing a good job being eyeballed when they just love Goldens.

Whatever the breed you love...I think you should find it...love and care for it.

When the time comes that your beloved pet needs help...give it.

I'm not fixing my golden as I think I might feel the same way down the road.

I agree that most people use the term Puppy Mill far too broadly. To me it's more of a breeder that may not necessarily be doing the right things in regards to the treatment of the animals they have, for the express purpose of breeding dogs to sell the puppies, keeping one here and there which ends up being bred with the father/mother to continue to try to 'purify' the puppies they are selling.

There are a lot of them out there that have been shut down due to the conditions the dogs have been in. There was one out here that got shut down a couple of years ago that was breeding German Shepherds.

My problem in the situation you described would be more with the people who pay the $100 for the golden, and decide that it's too much effort to raise it after it's no longer the cute little puppy and just leave it somewhere to fend for itself.

olevetonahill
5/20/2008, 10:43 AM
I agree that most people use the term Puppy Mill far too broadly. To me it's more of a breeder that may not necessarily be doing the right things in regards to the treatment of the animals they have, for the express purpose of breeding dogs to sell the puppies, keeping one here and there which ends up being bred with the father/mother to continue to try to 'purify' the puppies they are selling.

There are a lot of them out there that have been shut down due to the conditions the dogs have been in. There was one out here that got shut down a couple of years ago that was breeding German Shepherds.

My problem in the situation you described would be more with the people who pay the $100 for the golden, and decide that it's too much effort to raise it after it's no longer the cute little puppy and just leave it somewhere to fend for itself.

Yup then Guys Like Dean an I have to put em down, Cause they are to diseased, or scared,Or have gone wild .
Id Much rather Put the Puppy dumper down than the Puppy .